Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Brentford (A) League 1 Saturday 14/1/12.

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
Duke
Site Addict

Brentford (A) League 1 Saturday 14/1/12.

Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:33 pm

Back on the road with the first of two tough away games , Brentford sit an envious 8th in the table on 36 points from 25 played .

Full home record
won 4 - drew 4 - lost 5 -17 goals for 18 against ,

Last 6 league games

Hartlepool - home -won 2-1
Bury - away - drew 1-1
Bournemouth - home -drew 1-1
M K Dons - home - drew 3-3
Charlton - away - lost 0-2
Tranmere - away - drew 2-2

Prediction:
I fancy us to get a point from this one , problem is we are getting near the stage where draws will not be enough.
1-1

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Re: Brentford (A) League 1 Saturday 14/1/12.

Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:19 pm

Tough, tough away fixture this, reckon we'll lose, 2-0 Bees.

210 Saddlers.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:26 pm

Duke wrote:Back on the road with the first of two tough away games , Brentford sit an envious 8th in the table on 36 points from 25 played .

Full home record

Last 6 league games

Bury - away - drew 1-1

Prediction:
I fancy us to get a point from this one , problem is we are getting near the stage where draws will not be enough.
1-1

Isn't Griffin Park a bit of a bogey ground for us though, Duke? I seem to recall we don't get much joy there, although the home record you've posted doesn't really suggest their place is a fortress this season. I think we'll lose this one about 2-1, though I'll be hoping for at least a point. Anything more is beyond my wildest dreams, the way things are going for us right now.

A point would be good, but as you say draws are not going to keep on being good enough. I've posted along those lines on the match thread today, and without wishing to state the bleedin' obvious, it's much better to win/lose/win/lose than keep on drawing. Deano was saying around Xmas time that he was happy because we weren't losing, but he needs to get his head around the fact that we could go unbeaten for a whole season, draw every game and have 46 points, leaving us certainties for relegation. We can win 23 and lose 23 and have 69 points, and that's easily mid-table. The target is obvious, but the means to achieve it seems to get ever more-distant as the weeks and winless matches pass us by.

ws3
Glitterati

Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:25 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:
Duke wrote:Back on the road with the first of two tough away games , Brentford sit an envious 8th in the table on 36 points from 25 played .

Full home record

Last 6 league games

Bury - away - drew 1-1

Prediction:
1-1

Isn't Griffin Park a bit of a bogey ground for us though, Duke? I seem to recall we don't get much joy there, although the home record you've posted doesn't really suggest their place is a fortress this season. I think we'll lose this one about 2-1, though I'll be hoping for at least a point. Anything more is beyond my wildest dreams, the way things are going for us right now.

A point would be good, but as you say draws are not going to keep on being good enough. I've posted along those lines on the match thread today, and without wishing to state the bleedin' obvious, it's much better to win/lose/win/lose than keep on drawing. Deano was saying around Xmas time that he was happy because we weren't losing, but he needs to get his head around the fact that we could go unbeaten for a whole season, draw every game and have 46 points, leaving us certainties for relegation. We can win 23 and lose 23 and have 69 points, and that's easily mid-table. The target is obvious, but the means to achieve it seems to get ever more-distant as the weeks and winless matches pass us by.

We beat them down there last season, and that was with hutch in charge.

2-0 saddlers.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:56 pm

ws3 wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:

Full home record

Last 6 league games

Bury - away - drew 1-1

Prediction:
1-1

We beat them down there last season, and that was with hutch in charge.

2-0 saddlers.

That's true, but generally I think they get the better of us on their pitch. Then again, if Hutch could do it, so can Deano, but I just somehow don't think he will. :?

walsallfcconnor
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:02 pm

Brentford 1 - 1 Walsall Manny Smith 32nd min and Clayton Donaldson 98th min 5898 (201 walsall fans) :wink:

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:51 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:

Full home record

Last 6 league games

Bury - away - drew 1-1

Prediction:
1-1

Your correct Geoff other than last season I cannot recall us getting much joy at Brentford , our next fixture away at Carlisle is another ground we rarely do well at .

traymondo
UTS Regular

Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:05 pm

Travelling over from Ulster, first game of the year for me. Can't wait.
It's me birthday, too. :P
Got a good feeling about this one, but to be honest I'll be half tore by 3pm anyway...
Up the Saddlers

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:07 pm

Fust away game of the season for me. Gewin on one of Branson's virgins :wink: After a few beers in the centre then near the ground I imagine the pain will be dulled :P

ws3
Glitterati

Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:17 am

Duke wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:

Full home record

Last 6 league games

Bury - away - drew 1-1

Prediction:
1-1

Your correct Geoff other than last season I cannot recall us getting much joy at Brentford , our next fixture away at Carlisle is another ground we rarely do well at .

Carlisle?

We won last season, drew the season before, and the season before that. If you look, our record up there isn't that bad really.

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:27 am

0-0
Evo to continue his tribute to Stone Cold Austin at half time by throwing Asps a sign and giving him the Stone Cold Stunner

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:22 pm

ws3 wrote:
Duke wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:

Full home record

Last 6 league games

Bury - away - drew 1-1

Prediction:
1-1

Carlisle?

We won last season, drew the season before, and the season before that. If you look, our record up there isn't that bad really.

Yeah, I've seen us win at Carlisle a few times, am wracking my brains and I can't ever remember beating Brentford at their place (In games I have been to, must be at least 10 times) other than winning on penalties, in the mickey mouse cup.

ws3
Glitterati

Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:29 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
ws3 wrote:
Duke wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:

Full home record

Last 6 league games

Bury - away - drew 1-1

Prediction:
1-1

Carlisle?

Yeah, I've seen us win at Carlisle a few times, am wracking my brains and I can't ever remember beating Brentford at their place (In games I have been to, must be at least 10 times) other than winning on penalties, in the mickey mouse cup.

We beat Brentford 2-1 last season at their place.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:44 pm

I didn't go last year

ws3
Glitterati

Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:47 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:I didn't go last year

Well hopefully they can do the same again, and if you're there hopefully we will meet in a pub somewhere.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:53 pm

ws3 wrote:

Well hopefully they can do the same again, and if you're there hopefully we will meet in a pub somewhere.

Erm, it seems unlikely I will be able to go Saturday. I only get to around 20 games a season now. One of the downsides of having a child who doesn't live with you, Weekends are the time I get to see her, and as she isn't keen on football, then I only get to go probably 1 out of 3 games now. She's worth it though, makes me more proud than Walsall ever have or will !

Anyway, If I am at an away game, then you will always find me in a pub, sure someone will point me out, if you don't already know who I am.

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:02 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
ws3 wrote:

Erm, it seems unlikely I will be able to go Saturday. I only get to around 20 games a season now. One of the downsides of having a child who doesn't live with you, Weekends are the time I get to see her, and as she isn't keen on football, then I only get to go probably 1 out of 3 games now. She's worth it though, makes me more proud than Walsall ever have or will !

Anyway, If I am at an away game, then you will always find me in a pub, sure someone will point me out, if you don't already know who I am.

"He's just a fat Jimmy Walker, fat Jimmy Waaaaaaalker ...." :D

ws3
Glitterati

Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:03 pm

tinned wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:
ws3 wrote:

"He's just a fat Jimmy Walker, fat Jimmy Waaaaaaalker ...." :D

Nope, I need more clues.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:25 pm

tinned wrote:"He's just a fat Jimmy Walker, fat Jimmy Waaaaaaalker ...." :D

Isn't that an example of tautology? :mrgreen:

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:43 pm

Pedagogue wrote:

He's an even fatter Jimmy Walker :wink:

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:06 pm

tinned wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:

I'm not feeling the love here :cry:

I'll have you know I am actually working hard to be a thin Blazing_Saddler !

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:36 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
tinned wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:

I'm not feeling the love here :cry:

I'll have you know I am actually working hard to be a thin Blazing_Saddler !

Lov yow really xxx

I can hardly talk. My "bulge" is hardly disappearing fast :wink:

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:18 am

Brentford Nylons 1-1 Saddlers

Blazing to sell copies of his new book "the Merson Diet: beer calories and working out with the wife". Pound land to buy entire stock for the remainders bin.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:11 am

Exile wrote:Brentford Nylons 1-1 Saddlers

Blazing to sell copies of his new book "the Merson Diet: beer calories and working out with the wife". Pound land to buy entire stock for the remainders bin.

Still be a bigger seller than the book the trust released :lol:

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:30 pm

1-1, Gnakpa from the bench. 357 Saddlers present.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:59 pm

A draw or to lose by the odd goal. A tough game.

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:57 pm

Very tough game this, 2-0 loss.

Over The Moon
UTS Veteran

Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:12 pm

2-1 defeat :(

Butler from a corner.

Tinned to give Russell Grant a big cuddle at the game!

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:36 pm

Brentford 0 Walsall 1 Jimmy Walker penalty in the 97th minute

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:39 pm

Brentford 1 Walsall 0 :(

Next
Return to 2011-12 Season