Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

A F C Bournemouth (H) League 1 Saturday 7/1/12.

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
saddler79
UTS Regular

Re: A F C Bournemouth (H) League 1 Saturday 7/1/12.

Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:13 pm

Hands up who on here sat there at half time debating whether we would conspire to draw the match or lose it. I did. This is after completely dominating a sode for 45mins and arguably should have gone in further ahead. Week in week out we just sit there and accept it and every time we know it is coming. Its painfully frustrating and embarrasing to watch. Why can we all see it and the players and manager cant.

The club is an amateur outfit from top to bottom and I'm one fed up saddler.

Bonser out, Smith out!!

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:13 pm

Giving away a 2-0 lead at half time at home is absolutely criminal and not good enough.

Smith out.

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:22 pm

Yet another late goal conceded ,more precious points dropped .

we are going down

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:48 pm

boringteacher wrote:Gutted though I am, I'm more bemused by some of the reactions on here. Get a sense of perspective please. Even the real Moriniho would struggle to get a decent 3rd division side together on our current (and given our pitiful attendances) and future budgets. A top notch manager (Kelly was sitting in front of me for the first half) wouldn't touch our job with a bargepole when Smith gets sacked.

I still don't buy that as an excuse, I'm afraid. We have the likes of Jarvis, Halliday, Gnakpa and Hurst sitting on the sidelines to make up the numbers. Had Smith signed two good players rather than four average to poor ones, we might have a fighting chance.

Having a small budget isn't the be all and end all, but it requires someone who knows what they're doing to spend it well.

As a motivator and a confidence-builder, all the signs suggest that Smith knows what he's doing. It was qualities such as those which saw him rescue us last season. Since being given the funds to build his own side however, he has struggled like none of us would have believed nine months ago.

TheJester

Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:06 pm

Today showed what a good team we can be when we keep the ball on the deck. Stupid penalty (individual not a team mistake) and a sickener at the end. I'm still confident, though, of retaining our League One status. Sorry!

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:17 pm

TheJester wrote:Today showed what a good team we can be when we keep the ball on the deck. Stupid penalty (individual not a team mistake) and a sickener at the end. I'm still confident, though, of retaining our League One status. Sorry!

Please post more often :D

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:25 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
boringteacher wrote:Gutted though I am, I'm more bemused by some of the reactions on here. Get a sense of perspective please. Even the real Moriniho would struggle to get a decent 3rd division side together on our current (and given our pitiful attendances) and future budgets. A top notch manager (Kelly was sitting in front of me for the first half) wouldn't touch our job with a bargepole when Smith gets sacked.

I still don't buy that as an excuse, I'm afraid. We have the likes of Jarvis, Halliday, Gnakpa and Hurst sitting on the sidelines to make up the numbers. Had Smith signed two good players rather than four average to poor ones, we might have a fighting chance.

Having a small budget isn't the be all and end all, but it requires someone who knows what they're doing to spend it well.

As a motivator and a confidence-builder, all the signs suggest that Smith knows what he's doing. It was qualities such as those which saw him rescue us last season. Since being given the funds to build his own side however, he has struggled like none of us would have believed nine months ago.

Agree,

and top notch manager? are we talking about David Kelly, Boring Teacher ? If so, since when has he been a top notch manager :?

m&m
Glitterati

Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:39 pm

For about the 10th time this season the ineptitude of the manager cost us again!
Crap substitutions ultimataly cost us 2 points.
Oh yes and a moment of madness by Beevers for the penalty.

A great performance ruined!

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:01 am

boringteacher wrote:Gutted though I am, I'm more bemused by some of the reactions on here. Get a sense of perspective please. Even the real Moriniho would struggle to get a decent 3rd division side together on our current (and given our pitiful attendances) and future budgets.

One wonders then how Stevenage, Bury, Hartlepool and Oldham manage it. I can only assume they've all got Mourinho in charge.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:16 am

This "Budget" fellow, when did we sign him? :?

Proper dross, and a convenient excuse.

Unnaceptable throwing away a 2-0 home lead against Bournemouth, but its the story of the season. If games were only played for 80 minutes we might be alright.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:16 am

Registered Saddler wrote:
boringteacher wrote:Gutted though I am, I'm more bemused by some of the reactions on here. Get a sense of perspective please. Even the real Moriniho would struggle to get a decent 3rd division side together on our current (and given our pitiful attendances) and future budgets.

One wonders then how Stevenage, Bury, Hartlepool and Oldham manage it. I can only assume they've all got Mourinho in charge.

Exactly.

Beds Cherry

Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:13 am

Bmth here -

Well I know how Hartlepool manage it...their chairman gives them about £850,000 a season to tide them over!!

Bit of an off day for us today - pitch was a bit crap (feeble excuse I know) and Mcdonald, Malone and Daniels out which did affect us a bit. Least we got stuck in 2nd half and got level at the death. Its annoying, but we should have beaten Brentford and got pegged back at virtually 5pm!

Hope you stay up - always enjoyed our visits to yours - proper fans and a good day out.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:50 am

Nice one mate, good luck for the rest of the season.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:51 am

Beds Cherry wrote:Bmth here -

Well I know how Hartlepool manage it...their chairman gives them about £850,000 a season to tide them over!!

Bit of an off day for us today - pitch was a bit crud (feeble excuse I know) and Mcdonald, Malone and Daniels out which did affect us a bit. Least we got stuck in 2nd half and got level at the death. Its annoying, but we should have beaten Brentford and got pegged back at virtually 5pm!

Hope you stay up - always enjoyed our visits to yours - proper fans and a good day out.

There's the difference - you have an off day and battle back from 2-0 down to claim a point.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:17 am

We would never battle back. Our manager would see to that. We seem to roll over and get fudge up the arse.

canadiansaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:23 am

[Warning the following contains a rose tinted spectacle rambling viewpoint of a supporter 12,000 clicks away who should no better]

Obviously I have not been to the game today and it dead easy to run off at the mouth about the state of affairs at Bescot, out of all the cups , in danger of relegation , on the face of it no further forward than 1 years ago , heck 3 years ago, but from afar it seems to me that the club (at least on the playing side) is in a better position than we were, people need to remember a few facts about our beloved football club and perhaps the following will help people look on Dean in more favourable light.

1. Were are not 7 points and a horrendous goal difference adrift at the foot of the table as we were 12 months ago, we one point clear of the relegation zone with a goal difference superior to all our rivals except one. Under Hutchings I would have laid money we would have lost by 2 or 3 today, we didn't. Yes we threw away a two goal lead but heck two weeks ago a promotion contender with a budget 10x + greater than ours threw away a lead and eventually lost all within injury time to a relegation certainty. Its easy to view today as a loss because its always a bummer conceding in the last seconds but in reality its a point gained against an inform team which I would have taken at 4am this morning. Winning % and points per game mean nothing when relegation and promotion are worked out.

2. In the first half at least it sounds like we played decent football and had them on the run, Bournemouth are side that have turned it around this season and I dare say will be up there challenging for a play off spot come the end of April. This should be remembered. They have an owner who wants to build a future not one who wants out but isn't prepared to do what's best for all concerned. That makes all the difference in the world.

3. In the last nine months Smith has brought through and given a chance to a number of the youngster something which people were screaming out for 12 months ago under the clueless idiot. What do you want the guy to do. By giving young players a chance your going to have to live with inconsistency especially when there surrounded with the calibre of player we are able to attract. The only 'class' outfield player at the club at the moment is probably Macken who is past his use by date, that's not to downgrade the likes of Butler who is more of a work / war horse. If we had a 'class player in Midfielder who could supply the odd bit of service to Macken and whoever his chosen partner is on a given day I doubt I would be typing this as we would be in the middle of the pack comfortably, this is Smith's one failing which has not been addressed but that brings me to point 4.

4. How different would things have been if Gray, Richards and Ledesma had accepted those offers last summer , they didn't. Is Smith to blame for that I doubt it, its more likely the club making insufficient offers or idiot agents and idiot players wanting more than there worth. Some of Smiths signings havn't worked out , so were Walsall its always been that way, no manager is immune to crap signings at WFC, a club who don't believe in paying a transfer fee.

5. I think we can safely say our back four although not world beaters for a middle of the pack division 3 team is exactly that - yes there are stats and stats but in goals conceded we are joint 9th in the table - which considering we are 20th truly shows where the issues are. A solid back four is what keeps you from being relegated - remember those words come April.

Smith is the easy target , but at the moment I can't see a better alternative (unless DD broke down the doors to Bescot and said Ill do the job and wave) , its easy to call for ex hero's to be brought in but I just can't see it working with Kelly.

We may not be Darlington , or even a Plymouth, Luton, Halifax or Chester but in some ways you look at those clubs and you can say at least the worse is over for them as clubs and they are in the various states of starting afresh as modern football allows you to do but you know what I'm envious , how I wish we could start again as a club side and kick our number one fan in to touch, but on the playing side if we were to start again , I think I would want someone like Dean there managing the young side because he appears to have a unified dressing room for the most part, he gives the young players a chance and when there form drops takes them out and doesn't flog them to death, if he had the right funding I think he would be able to build a side , he at least showed he had that direction by wanting to sign the bit of creativity in Gray and Ledesma , the gamble on Gnapka hasn't paid off but at it was worth a try.

Its all a question of faith , in Mullen I had none, in Hutchings I had none but in Dean for some reason I always have. He still reminds me of DD so FFS dont drive him out or give JB the excuse to.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:31 am

canadiansaddler wrote:[Warning the following contains a rose tinted spectacle rambling viewpoint of a supporter 12,000 clicks away who should no better]

Obviously I have not been to the game today and it dead easy to run off at the mouth about the state of affairs at Bescot, out of all the cups , in danger of relegation , on the face of it no further forward than 1 years ago , heck 3 years ago, but from afar it seems to me that the club (at least on the playing side) is in a better position than we were, people need to remember a few facts about our beloved football club and perhaps the following will help people look on Dean in more favourable light.

1. Were are not 7 points and a horrendous goal difference adrift at the foot of the table as we were 12 months ago, we one point clear of the relegation zone with a goal difference superior to all our rivals except one. Under Hutchings I would have laid money we would have lost by 2 or 3 today, we didn't. Yes we threw away a two goal lead but heck two weeks ago a promotion contender with a budget 10x + greater than ours threw away a lead and eventually lost all within injury time to a relegation certainty. Its easy to view today as a loss because its always a bummer conceding in the last seconds but in reality its a point gained against an inform team which I would have taken at 4am this morning. Winning % and points per game mean nothing when relegation and promotion are worked out.

2. In the first half at least it sounds like we played decent football and had them on the run, Bournemouth are side that have turned it around this season and I dare say will be up there challenging for a play off spot come the end of April. This should be remembered. They have an owner who wants to build a future not one who wants out but isn't prepared to do what's best for all concerned. That makes all the difference in the world.

3. In the last nine months Smith has brought through and given a chance to a number of the youngster something which people were screaming out for 12 months ago under the clueless idiot. What do you want the guy to do. By giving young players a chance your going to have to live with inconsistency especially when there surrounded with the calibre of player we are able to attract. The only 'class' outfield player at the club at the moment is probably Macken who is past his use by date, that's not to downgrade the likes of Butler who is more of a work / war horse. If we had a 'class player in Midfielder who could supply the odd bit of service to Macken and whoever his chosen partner is on a given day I doubt I would be typing this as we would be in the middle of the pack comfortably, this is Smith's one failing which has not been addressed but that brings me to point 4.

4. How different would things have been if Gray, Richards and Ledesma had accepted those offers last summer , they didn't. Is Smith to blame for that I doubt it, its more likely the club making insufficient offers or idiot agents and idiot players wanting more than there worth. Some of Smiths signings havn't worked out , so were Walsall its always been that way, no manager is immune to crap signings at WFC, a club who don't believe in paying a transfer fee.

5. I think we can safely say our back four although not world beaters for a middle of the pack division 3 team is exactly that - yes there are stats and stats but in goals conceded we are joint 9th in the table - which considering we are 20th truly shows where the issues are. A solid back four is what keeps you from being relegated - remember those words come April.

Smith is the easy target , but at the moment I can't see a better alternative (unless DD broke down the doors to Bescot and said Ill do the job and wave) , its easy to call for ex hero's to be brought in but I just can't see it working with Kelly.

We may not be Darlington , or even a Plymouth, Luton, Halifax or Chester but in some ways you look at those clubs and you can say at least the worse is over for them as clubs and they are in the various states of starting afresh as modern football allows you to do but you know what I'm envious , how I wish we could start again as a club side and kick our number one fan in to touch, but on the playing side if we were to start again , I think I would want someone like Dean there managing the young side because he appears to have a unified dressing room for the most part, he gives the young players a chance and when there form drops takes them out and doesn't flog them to death, if he had the right funding I think he would be able to build a side , he at least showed he had that direction by wanting to sign the bit of creativity in Gray and Ledesma , the gamble on Gnapka hasn't paid off but at it was worth a try.

Its all a question of faith , in Mullen I had none, in Hutchings I had none but in Dean for some reason I always have. He still reminds me of DD so FFS dont drive him out or give JB the excuse to.

Point one- WE are not 7 points bottom? Wahey. Lets party.

Point Two - A game is two halves, and we let the assistant fudge manager score in the 93rd minute.

Point Three - Agreed on the youngsters.

Point four - Yes those three players are better than what we have now, but you mention one class player, he let three go and bought several crap ones. This is his fault. No on else's. This transfer fee is a myth. Its 2012. The list of players unnattatched is monumental. I wouldnt give him any money to spend on transfers anyway, not after the crap he's signed. Imagine if he had bought Ryan Jarvis, Adam Chambers or Anton Peterlin for cash? Oh dear.

Point Five - I love our defence, i think its more than good enough. Shame about the players infront of it.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:51 am

latviancheese wrote:This "Budget" fellow, when did we sign him? :?

Proper dross, and a convenient excuse.

Unnaceptable throwing away a 2-0 home lead against Bournemouth, but its the story of the season. If games were only played for 80 minutes we might be alright.

Maybe our budget changed at half time. :(

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:01 pm

To me, we don't look fit.

Come the 60th minute, we'd run out of puff, and from then on we were playing counter attack football - at home, whilst 2-0 up.

Alex Nicholls had a decent game, but he's so frustrating in the way he sometimes does the hard stuff well (like wriggling past 2 or 3 defenders to get clear) then when he needs to test the keeper or put a decent cross in, he fluffs it.

A couple of other points:

Our pitch is dreadful, considering we've barely had a frost this winter, and there hasn't been that much football played at Bescot this winter!

Walker was lucky to stay on the pitch, another ref wouldn't have hesitated in sending him off.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:10 pm

For me, the blame lies 100% of the feet of Dean Smith. First half we were fantastic, the 4-3-3 formation really clicked and it showed. We were deservedly 2-0 up at the break and to be perfectly honest, it could've been more.

Second half was when it all began to go wrong. Inevitably, Bournemouth came back at us. At first, we seemed to be quite comfortable defending, however, Beevers decided to make the most ridiculous challenge i've ever seen and give a way a penalty. A life line back into the game for Bournemouth. This was when Dean Smith got it all wrong. When the game is on a knife edge, you do not take off your most creative player and swap him like for like with the dross that is Halliday, who in my opinion, is almost as bad as Jarvis. Then as it gets late on in the match and you need to retain possesion up their end of the pitch, he takes off the only player capable of doing so in Macken. As a result, the ball didn't stick upfront, allowing Bournemouth to come back at us time after time. For those who say Macken is doesn't do this, today proved them wrong.

As well as Taundry played, and it was the best performance i've seen from him in god knows how long, he should've been taken off. I thought, in the last 10-15minutes of the match he started to become more of a liability, probably because he'd run himself into the ground. Gnakpa should have come on for him not Macken.
Gnakpa should not be played upfront. He looks out of place there and you could tell, he didn't know what to do. A knackered Macken is twice what ever else we have upfront.

A few other points:
I thought Nicholls played fantasically today, but the lad needs to think about what he's going to do when he gets the ball.
Chambers had his best game i've seen for a while. Did very well breaking up play.
Beevers was fantastic, up until the penalty. What was he thinking? After that, he seemed scared to make another mistake.
My MOTM was Manny Smith who I thought defended superbly.

As for Smith, as the dingles would say, he's gorra gew

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:14 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

Agree,

and top notch manager? are we talking about David Kelly, Boring Teacher ? If so, since when has he been a top notch manager :?

My god, rational debate on UTS!!!

I can actually see and agree with many of the points raised about Smith, in terms of use of budget and tactics. The weaknesses of the side are obvious - no even middle notch striker, no midfield creativity, a lower 4th div/non-league centre half masquerading as a first choice right back. Some, but not all, of the summer freebies were crap.

If the Xmas/new year run had been disastrous , I'd sadly agree that the chop would have been justified. It hasn't been, and I've taken positives from all 3 home games we played - I think the team shows signs of development and I'm more optimistic now of staying up than I was in December. Critically, we are still playing as a team - Smith hasn't lost them like Mullins and Hutchings did.

I'd retain Smith for the season on a number of reasons. Firstly, I'm sure that he'll improve. Secondly, the club desperately needs some managerial continuity. Thirdly, I have no faith whatsoever that our absentee overlord actually has any desire for the club to improve from where we are at, or would be willing to invest in or attract a proven manager (most of us have heard the Holloway rumours from a few years ago). Do you really have faith that Boner would bring in anything better - I dont.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:25 pm

Good game

Should of won

Played with more confidence and a bit more heart, which is nice

Rubbish centre midfield

Massive lack of concentration towards the end

Credit to Bournemouth, they really went for it and it was alarming we couldn't get another goal or create more chances with the amount of space they left at the back

Excellent referee

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:49 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
Registered Saddler wrote:

Exactly.

Maybe they just all have a Sodje / Amoo! :mrgreen:

Mal
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:29 pm

For those booing at the end of the match you make my blood boil I was in the verge of smacking some numpty wannabes really pisses me off!

Secondly those on here who persist with slagging the managers and players and don't attend games you have no credibility! Yesterday's match saw us play our best 45 all season, second half Bournemouth improved and bar Beevers error and a quality cross in the 93 minute the game would have been won

As I've said before we have an honest bunch who worked there asses off played some great football and as with football you win some you lose some! We did the wendies Bournemouth did us!

As for the subs Macken was wrecked, Patterson was blowing so you make decisions, no problem from me

Walker should not have been booked in fact I was expecting there player to be sent off for diving in two footed!

Smithy is the man for now, if you want to moan then get get down there then maybe the debate is worth having

UTS

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:43 pm

fatboyslim wrote:We played the ball on the ground for most of the first half and we slaughtered Bourenmouth who didn't look like a side worthy of 10th. No idea what went through beevers head with the penalty. Nicholls should have scored from mackens cross. Tundra had a great game. Most were good today apart from chambers and Halliday. Gnapka lost us the 3 points trying to take in the biggest defender I have seen in the league in the 93rd minute and getting muscled out of it. They went down the other end and scored. We had plenty of opportunities to kill the game off my keeping the ball. Keep it on the ground and we will stay up.

P.s. Ancient moaner - why don't you try coming to a game. Your comments are pathetic! :roll:

I'm sorry..you really do seem to have a problem with me for some reason....I was at the Bury match, and my positive reactions to what I thought was a good, honest, hard working performance (We were beaten by an Amoo and our inability to put away chances) were poo poo'd by the vast majority on here!

When you have supported the Saddlers for 50 years mate, you can make any comment you like about me. I have stood on the sidelines at Fellows Park in the REALLY dark days..But at least I could get into the Saddlers club!

You may note that I live quite a distance from Gods own country, I do try to get down as often as is possible, but my dear wife has 'ME' so it can be difficult to leave her on her own for too long.

I would NEVER wish ill of any fellow Saddler, I love being amongst my own, at as many 'Northern' matches as I can, and a number of fellow NUTS members will tell you that I'm not the twerp you seem to think I am.

Have a good weekend.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:53 pm

Nuts you say?

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:07 pm

Darth Vader wrote:Nuts you say?

Like your style mate but it's the Northern UTS membership, we meet for nights out amongst fellow exiles from oooop North!

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:09 pm

That sounds reyt fun, duck!

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:08 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:Nuts you say?

Like your style mate but it's the Northern UTS membership, we meet for nights out amongst fellow exiles from oooop North!

Was thinking over Christmas we should have another NUTS meeting (not THAT sort Darth!! :wink: ). Had a good chat with PT at Bury, so might be worth trying to put one together. I'll have a look at the ol' diary and see what might work. Be good to try and get Sheff out from his comfy armchair too!! :mrgreen:

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:17 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:Like your style mate but it's the Northern UTS membership, we meet for nights out amongst fellow exiles from oooop North!

Was thinking over Christmas we should have another NUTS meeting (not THAT sort Darth!! :wink: ). Had a good chat with PT at Bury, so might be worth trying to put one together. I'll have a look at the ol' diary and see what might work. Be good to try and get Sheff out from his comfy armchair too!! :mrgreen:

I thought Sheff was a member of the Chelsea Up North Trust.

:mrgreen:

PreviousNext
Return to 2011-12 Season