Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

A F C Bournemouth (H) League 1 Saturday 7/1/12.

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
Reading Saddler
UTS Regular

Re: A F C Bournemouth (H) League 1 Saturday 7/1/12.

Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:04 pm

Relegation now almost certain? Are you on crack? What a crazy reaction.

4 points off Bournemouth, Fine by me. Shame about the result, should have been 6 points. Silly defending no doubt. Here's hoping we do better next week. Up the Saddlers.

Oh and also, subsitutions in injury time to hold a lead isn't just a Dean Smith tactic. Most managers do this. Sometimes I despair.

God us football fans are fickle, man up!

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:05 pm

Typical Walsall, especially when I have Walsall to win and Andy Butler to score at any time

BALLS!

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:06 pm

Time for us to start having 2 decent halves rather than one..
We're a bunch of average at best bottlers who can spring up the odd good game every month or two, and that won't keep us up.
I suppose this is what we have to expect though when we're relying on other clubs rejects every season.
Bonser out.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:11 pm

So Jeff Bonser was playing in defence in the last few minutes? Bloody hell, didnt think he turned up anymore.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:18 pm

Reading Saddler wrote:4 points off Bournemouth, Fine by me. Shame about the result, should have been 6 points. Silly defending no doubt. Here's hoping we do better next week. Up the Saddlers.

Taking four points off Bournemouth is a decent result overall - or at least it would be if we looked capable of doing the same against the likes of Bury and Rochdale. Can you see where I'm going with this...?

A win today would have perhaps given the players that extra bit of confidence and that knowledge that they can win at home if they get the ball down and play. Chucking away another lead at home however, has probably had the exact opposite effect.

As soon as we conceded the penalty, I feared we wouldn't hold onto the three points. I'm absolutely gutted to have been proved right.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:25 pm

Our substitutions made us worse. That's the manager's fault.

I've had enough of being part of your learning curve, Dean.

Smith out.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:25 pm

Smith out! Thats all I can say!

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:27 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
Reading Saddler wrote:4 points off Bournemouth, Fine by me. Shame about the result, should have been 6 points. Silly defending no doubt. Here's hoping we do better next week. Up the Saddlers.

Taking four points off Bournemouth is a decent result overall - or at least it would be if we looked capable of doing the same against the likes of Bury and Rochdale. Can you see where I'm going with this...?

A win today would have perhaps given the players that extra bit of confidence and that knowledge that they can win at home if they get the ball down and play. Chucking away another lead at home however, has probably had the exact opposite effect.

As soon as we conceded the penalty, I feared we wouldn't hold onto the three points. I'm absolutely gutted to have been proved right.

Rob, we ought to have seen off Rochdale in the first half, and by the sounds of it we should have done so again today. The positive for me is that we are creating chances and are difficult to beat. The negative is that we don,t know how to win.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:27 pm

Once again we snatch a draw from the jaws of victory, yet Reading Saddler (seemingly in isolation) appears to see this point (and 4 points off Bournemouth over the season) as a positive. I'd say that's clutching at straws in the circumstances, or just a plain refusal to recognise what's going on and what an awful position we have dragged ourselves into.

Results like today are NOT a positive, they are unprofessional, and if we carry on like this we SHALL stay amongst the favourites for relegation.

Draw, draw, defeat, draw, draw, draw, win, draw, defeat, draw = 10 points from 30 possible
Win, defeat, win, defeat, win, defeat, win, defeat, win, defeat = 15 points from 30 possible.

We are failing to win far too many games, even from winning positions like today. Win one - lose one is massively better than all these draws, and if we continue to fail to hold onto leads in the closing stages, we are going to find it impossible to climb out of trouble.

Today is an awful disappointment following on an even more awful disappointment against Rochdale last week, so there's 2 points from the last 6 from two winnable home games, especially grim coming ahead of two tough away games that may well dump us back in the bottom four once more.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:28 pm

King Crimson wrote:Our substitutions made us worse. That's the manager's fault.

I've had enough of being part if your learning curve, Dean.

Smith out.

:shock:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:30 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

Rob, we ought to have seen off Rochdale in the first half, and by the sounds of it we should have done so again today. The positive for me is that we are creating chances and are difficult to beat. The negative is that we don,t know how to win.

The point is (as I said earlier) we DID see them off in the first half. A two goal lead at half time should be sufficient for a professional football outfit looking to take three points from the game.

The problem is, our tactics are so weak/non-existent that we are incapable of holding a lead - whether it's a single goal or two goals.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:31 pm

Well, the two extra points earned in dramatic fashion against the Wendies have now well and truly been erased with the late, late equalisers for Chesterfield and Bournemouth in recent weeks. Talk about one step forward and two steps back :( .

ws3
Glitterati

Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:33 pm

BathSaddler wrote:Well, the two extra points earned in dramatic fashion against the Wendies have now well and truly been erased with the late, late equalisers for Chesterfield and Bournemouth in recent weeks. Talk about one step forward and two steps back :( .

However, had we lost to wendy we would be well in the mire now.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:37 pm

Dropped points yet again, fudge off!

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:38 pm

ws3 wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:Well, the two extra points earned in dramatic fashion against the Wendies have now well and truly been erased with the late, late equalisers for Chesterfield and Bournemouth in recent weeks. Talk about one step forward and two steps back :( .

I hate to say it, but we ARE well in the mire. One place above the relegation line, having played a game more than the side below us. :?

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:39 pm

ws3 wrote:

Any silver lining will do, ws3 :wink: .

Incidentally, there were over 500 Cherries there today, meaning just 3,100 or so Saddlers, our lowest Saturday turnout so far and back to the level of 'home' crowd that was evident during the 'Hutchings era'.

ws3
Glitterati

Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:43 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
ws3 wrote:

Any silver lining will do, ws3 :wink: .

Incidentally, there were over 500 Cherries there today, meaning just 3,100 or so Saddlers, our lowest Saturday turnout so far and back to the level of 'home' crowd that was evident during the 'Hutchings era'.

Probably because most people had us as a nailed on certainty for defeat today. We didn't lose, as much as it felt like we did. The reason most people are gutted is the fact that we were by far the better team today and really gave it a go. Anyway onwards to Brentford next week and one or 2 beers to steady the nerves. :D

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:50 pm

latviancheese wrote:So Jeff Bonser was playing in defence in the last few minutes? Bloody hell, didnt think he turned up anymore.

Sorry, totally forgot that everything here is rosey and given time we shall buy players worthy of staying in this division....................... :roll:

SWS1

Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:55 pm

Gutted. Gutted. Gutted. Gutted. Gutted. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Can someone tell me (I want to know but can't be Rst) how many points we've thrown away in the last 5 or 10 minutes in games this season? I'm thinking at least 7. Am I well out?

AAAAAAAAGH!
Where's that bottle of whisky?
And the valium?
Oh, hell. Might as well make it hemlock.
AAAAAAAAAGH!

PS First time I've said it, but DS seems to have had his chance. :evil:

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:58 pm

chestersaddler wrote:

Smith out.

I know.:(

Biggles
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:03 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:Many congratulations to DS and all the boys on keeping our magnificent long unbeaten home run going. Once again we have shown our mettle by battling away for a hard-earned point against one of the division's front-runners, the mighty AFC Bournemouth. While many lesser managers would have pursued a frankly ridiculous strategy of trying to win a match, Smith has shown his tactical nous yet again by making sure that, come full-time, we can look back on a richly deserved point. So long as we keep on picking up the occasional draw here and there I have no doubt that we will avoid finishing bottom of the division and what a credit that will be to all connected with the club.

:lol: Best post on here for ages!

Aldridge_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:07 pm

King Crimson wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

Smith out.

I know.:(

Personally, still not sure he should go. I'm gutted beyond all comprehension.

However I think we should have kept macken on the pitch, and bringing him off early appears to have been our downfall too many times this season.

Lone Striker

Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:33 pm

Just home and really angry with that result, what I have witnessed is the reason why we will be relegated at the end of the season, we are just incapable of doing the simple things well enough to pick up points, even when they are there for the taking. From a positive point of view the first half performance was encouraging and we played some decent football, however, that is all forgotten when you are not able to turn that into 3 points. if you look back at their equalising goal that is what I mean by not doing the simple things well enough to win games. We win possession in the left back area of the pitch and Halliday has one ball to play which is down the line to our centre forward, if this happens we keep possesion of the ball in their half of the pitch and we are able to run down the clock and pick up 3 points. For some reason Nicholls gets himself in the correct position to receive the ball but then spins off into the middle of the pitch, Halliday plays the ball to where Nicholls was supposed to be and their full back picks up the ball unopposed puts in a cross and the rest is history.

Poor substitution or poor play take you pick, but if Macken was still on the pitch he would have received the pass and kept possession, it is small things like this that cost us points every week and result in us winning very few games. The best teams in our league or even the ones in mid table do the simple things better and pick up points as a result.

Unfortunate for Nicholls as apart from the above he had an okay game, the problem is that he has cost us 2 points by not doing the simple things correctly. The problem is that we make these kind of errors regularly and never seem to learn the lesson.

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:37 pm

Gutted! I thought we played very well today, in as much as we passed the ball about ON THE DECK and created chances. Although Butler and to a lesser extent Smith still hoofed the ball too much. In midfield we played short passes well,but still no killer balls, and I would like to see a fully fit Hurst play in the centre of midfield. As for the forward line we had no-one clinical enough to finish the game off, Nicholls is very skillful at times, but he isn't a clinical finisher and he had a great chance to put us 3-1 on but hit it straight at the keeper. A game we should have won but ultimately threw away.

fatboyslim
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:43 pm

We played the ball on the ground for most of the first half and we slaughtered Bourenmouth who didn't look like a side worthy of 10th. No idea what went through beevers head with the penalty. Nicholls should have scored from mackens cross. Tundra had a great game. Most were good today apart from chambers and Halliday. Gnapka lost us the 3 points trying to take in the biggest defender I have seen in the league in the 93rd minute and getting muscled out of it. They went down the other end and scored. We had plenty of opportunities to kill the game off my keeping the ball. Keep it on the ground and we will stay up.

P.s. Ancient moaner - why don't you try coming to a game. Your comments are pathetic! :roll:

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:50 pm

Nice League Two attendance today also, 3,658 with a good 450 or so Cherries, bloody hell. :(

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:13 pm

Darth Vader wrote:Nice League Two attendance today also, 3,658 with a good 450 or so Cherries, bloody hell. :(

545 apparently, according to their OS.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:28 pm

Smart following that.

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:47 pm

Loss alll due to that prat of an alleged manager. Bringing on Halliday who has played for a total of about 15 minutes as a complete none-entity for us and is due to go back to 'his' club on Monday in place of Paterson. DS is a complete Paul Anka. For Christ's sake go you incompetent dung beetle.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:10 pm

Very damaging today. We played good footie against an allegedly good side (they weren't), only to chuck away 2 points.

Gutted though I am, I'm more bemused by some of the reactions on here. Get a sense of perspective please. Even the real Moriniho would struggle to get a decent 3rd division side together on our current (and given our pitiful attendances) and future budgets. A top notch manager (Kelly was sitting in front of me for the first half) wouldn't touch our job with a bargepole when Smith gets sacked.

PreviousNext
Return to 2011-12 Season