Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bury (A) League 1 Monday 2/1/12.

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Re: Bury (A) League 1 Monday 2/1/12.

Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:24 pm

bangsection wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:
bangsection wrote:Stuff that Blazing day agree with

You clearly didn't watch the same game as me, although I had had several beers, no way on earth did we deserve anything out of that game today. Quite simple dire. We huffed and puffed for ten minutes at the start of the second half, and that was it for the whole game. No idea how to break a team down. I like your posts, they usually contain far more sense than I could ever wish to post, but I can't agree with that. Dire.

FaIr enough. Lots of posters whose opinions I respect (including you) disagree with me (although it's always nice to read Ancient Moaner's ultra-positive match reports when he's been to a game!) and I've got no problem with that. However, I still think we played better today than we did at Chesterfield who were there for the taking - our second half performance there was disgraceful. I was worried that we'd capitulate in the second half today but was pleasantly surprised that we came out and had a go. Secondly, I thought we created more chances today than we did at Huddersfield, Stevenage, Hartlepool, Tranmere or Chesterfield. That's not saying much but it's a start. Thirdly, I think my posts can be slightly biased towards the positive because I get genuinely depressed by the knee jerk pessimism that chokes this board after a defeat - often from people that haven't gone (obviously this is not a comment aimed at you).

Are we a poor team? Yes. Are we going down? I think it's 50/50 at the moment and will entirely depend on the new faces we bring in when the window opens. Other points from today's game:

How come Gigg Lane is home to two football teams yet looks ten times better than our pitch?

Bury's square programme is ace. I love square programmes!

Why didn't Belge acknowledge me when I waved and shouted at half time? I know he was embarrassed that I had to finish his half time pint for him at Chesterfield but blanking me was a bit harsh!

I don't know, and I don't actually know how you are (although I probably do if you know Belg) If I had to take a guess, it may be something to do with the 12 pints + he had before the game :lol:

and yeah, on reflection, today may not have been as bad as I have said, but it was still bad.

pco_walsall
UTS Regular

Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:13 pm

Today was a major disappointment in my book, Bury looked like a team for the taking today a point should of been the minimum but once again we were the masters of our downfall. The first goal came about via a catalogue of defensive errors, Butler failed to win the first ball then a hashed clearance by Chambers fed the ball out wide to the dangerous Amoo and after Sadler hesitated, the ball took a deflection and past Walker into the net for what imagine was an own goal. After the goal we did start to look slightly more dangerous but our midfield seemed so rushed on the ball compared to theirs. We however won a free kick around 25 yards out and Paterson hit a decent shot, that probably could of been kept out by their keeper. But no sooner as they picked the ball out of their net it was back in ours courtesy of a questionable foul by Butler, and a poor bit of goalkeeping courtesy of Jimmy not sure if went in direct or if it was Hughes who scored the rebound but it was typical of our season we just conceded a point far far too easily. For the rest of the game we threatened briefly after the introduction of Gnapka who won a few headers but all in all we didn't do enough to trouble a Bury side who appeared to be there for the taking.

Onto the players....

Walker: Decent save in the first half, but was at fault for the second goal and didn't have much to do in the second half.
Westlake: Had a fairly solid game, looked composed on the ball compared to a few of our players.
Beevers: Solid enough, was given the run around by Amoo a few times however but seems to be improving week on week.
Butler: Not his best game, nearly passed the ball to Bishop when he was through on goal early on, and his initial misjudgement led to their first goal.
Sadler: As above really, could of got to his man quicker for his goal, and kept the lively Amoo reasonably quiet.

Halliday: Ineffective, didn't really do much and looks like he doesn't really want to be here. Decent delivery from corners.
Chambers: Average, missed two golden chances in the first half with a left foot volley and a rebound header off a corner, but other than that didn't do much and couldn't provide the calming influence in midfield that is so desperately needed.
Peterlin: Not his best game by any stretch of the imagination but did seem to want to get the ball down and pass it, but isn't really helped by the teams tactics.
Paterson: Good goal from the free kick, is by far our most creative player however it does seem a bit much to pin all of our survival hopes on a young lad in his first full season.

Nicholls: Same as the Rochdale game really, didn't get involved much and rarely threatened.
Jarvis: I really really don't see what he gives the team, from what I've seen so far this season, he can't run, he can't header and he can't score and doesn't even look like scoring I wouldn't give him too many more chances to prove himself now on.

Subs:
Hurst: Ineffective on his return from injury, had a wayward shot when he came on but not much else.
Gnakpa: Looked like our biggest threat when he came on, makes you wonder why he didn't start at least he has something about him, if we're going to insist on hoofing the ball forward at least it helps to have someone who can actually win a few headers!
Taundry: Passed the ball sideways a few times not much else however.

The conclusion that has to be drawn from this performance has to be that a striker and a creative midfielder must be signed, Mark Wilson maybe? Also Smith must learn to play to his strengths, if he's going to with the long ball tactics, use Gnakpa, if not play the ball on the floor with Paterson, Macken and Nicholls!!

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:10 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:Did I watch the same game as everyone else today? Sure, we were dire in the first half, and Bury looked like world beaters at times, but surely they are a one man team....Amoooo. (how come Bury can pick up a loanee as good as that, when we get Halliday?) but in the 2nd half it was almost non stop attack by us, if we had any strikers we would have won 5-2!
Who is the fella pretending to be Nicholls out there? Cus it sure ain't the Nicholls I know! When we attacked down both wings, we suddenly had ideas, no end result of course cus we don't have an Amoooo. But how people could not have appreciated the effort we put in that second half astounds me. We are relegation certainties without doubt, but the effort those 2nd class lads gave out there was worth more than a mass walk out by the majority, I along with numerous others were sickened by our lack of appreciation !
This has been a fatboyslim kidnap of AM's computer of course.

So you are basically hammering home the point that all season we have not produced the goods for 90 minutes?
This happens week after week and as not been resolved having completed half the season?
That alone states what a useless manager we have.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:45 am

PT wrote:Agree with JJ's summary.

This team don't lack in effort at all which is good, but it does mean we're on full beam all of the time just to get close to matching teams like Bury and Rochdale which demonstrates the lack of quality we have.

Four points from the three Christmas games is about right and we could have got them in any sequence. We missed Manny at both ends of the pitch which again speaks volumes for our attack who are flat-footed beyond belief. Nicholls looks permanently dazed and tries to react to everything without anticipating anything. We know Gnapka wins his fair share in the air so why Nicholls et al don't gamble and run beyond him is mind-numbingly thick.

Claude has made a difference in the three games over Christmas and is worth a start ahead of Halliday/Taundry.

If effort won points we'd be in the play-offs, but it doesn't so Smith needs to find some quality in this window. We're only one or two players short, I hope he finds them.

Nice to catch up with JollyJohnny and Blazing and meet Mr Belgian.

The way the team play their football (I use that term loosely) at the moment, Gnapka needs to play, and he needs to play down the middle. He is the only one who is capable of winning a header, so if we insist on using the hoof ball tactics, then he really is the only option we have at the moment, with either Nicholls, or Paterson up with him, to try and get on to some of his flick ons. Add this to the fact, he doesn't seem to have many of the attributes a winger requires, so it seems at least worth a go.

doka93

Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:51 am

Bury fan here.

Thought we deserved the win today. It wasn't the best of games but I think we got the ball down and played football a lot more than you did, and as for yourselves I don't think you threatened enough to warrant anything from the game.

I know you will have played a lot better than that over the season which must have been frustrating for you that did come to watch the game. Nonetheless I think I saw enough to suggest that you shouldn't go down but it's important you can string little 4 game unbeaten runs that you had done previous to today more often to break away from the bottom pack.

The main point I came on to make was that Paterson really does look like a prospect. I'd have thought at the moment he's a player that can frustrate with hit and miss performances but today I thought he was excellent, a real rough diamond.

All the best for the rest of the season.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:34 am

bangsection wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:
bangsection wrote:Stuff that Blazing day agree with

You clearly didn't watch the same game as me, although I had had several beers, no way on earth did we deserve anything out of that game today. Quite simple dire. We huffed and puffed for ten minutes at the start of the second half, and that was it for the whole game. No idea how to break a team down. I like your posts, they usually contain far more sense than I could ever wish to post, but I can't agree with that. Dire.

Why didn't Belge acknowledge me when I waved and shouted at half time? I know he was embarrassed that I had to finish his half time pint for him at Chesterfield but blanking me was a bit harsh!

I couldn't decide which one of you to wave back at :D And with regards to Chesterfield that was about my fourth halftime pint !

Yesterday was rubbish from what I remember, which luckily is not a lot!

Like Blazing said, was good to see a few folks and have a booze and also good to meet PT. After the high of boxing day the last two results have been so predictable. We have an amazing inability to maintain any sort of momentum even within a match never mind over a run of a few games. Bizarre team selections and tactics which clearly are not working. Unless we get something decent in this month then we will certainly be fightingt relegation until the last match.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:20 pm

doka93 wrote:Bury fan here.

Thought we deserved the win today. It wasn't the best of games but I think we got the ball down and played football a lot more than you did, and as for yourselves I don't think you threatened enough to warrant anything from the game.

I know you will have played a lot better than that over the season which must have been frustrating for you that did come to watch the game. Nonetheless I think I saw enough to suggest that you shouldn't go down but it's important you can string little 4 game unbeaten runs that you had done previous to today more often to break away from the bottom pack.

The main point I came on to make was that Paterson really does look like a prospect. I'd have thought at the moment he's a player that can frustrate with hit and miss performances but today I thought he was excellent, a real rough diamond.

Nice to see you speaking highly of Paterson, does look a promising lad, just needs to learn to look up and pass the ball once in a while.

All the best to you 'n all, don't mind Bury at all, 'tis a massive shame more people from the area don't support the club.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Bury (A) League 1 Monday 2/1/12.

Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:34 pm

Darth Vader wrote:
doka93 wrote:Bury fan here.

Nice to see you speaking highly of Paterson, does look a promising lad, just needs to learn to look up and pass the ball once in a while.

All the best to you 'n all, don't mind Bury at all, 'tis a massive shame more people from the area don't support the club.

Yep. I bet doka93 doesn't say that Bury's in Manchester. ;)

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:51 pm

It is ay it? Pfft, they all sound the bloody same anyway...

Previous
Return to 2011-12 Season