Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Sheffield Wednesday (H) League 1 Monday 26/12/11. Boxing Day

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Re: Sheffield Wednesday (H) League 1 Monday 26/12/11. Boxing

Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:13 pm

Their fans ain't impressed with their own "idiots" running on the pitch either looking at owlstalk

fatboyslim
UTS Veteran

Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:18 pm

Fantastic result but I honestly though it was a fairly poor game up to last 15 mins. I think the comments would have been a lot different if we hadn't got the 2 late goals. Paterson wasn't great today which is why it seems strange he got so much praise above! His shot off the bar was immense but other than that he lost the ball too much and was at fault for their goal.....he then get subbed off shortly after. Beavers was really good today and Taundry battled hard. Will give a full player review later. Chuffed with the 3 points though!!! :mrgreen:

Aldridge_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:19 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:BIG club in a little Division syndrome..United will overtake 'em and beat 'em to the automatic promotion place, (we hope)
Mind you, they might be fighting us for the place by the end of the season! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Got to stop taking those 'happy pills' Aldridge and Balzing will have no one to grumble at! :D :D :D ,

Oh don't be like that!

I love you really :mrgreen:

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:24 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:BIG club in a little Division syndrome..United will overtake 'em and beat 'em to the automatic promotion place, (we hope)
Mind you, they might be fighting us for the place by the end of the season! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Got to stop taking those 'happy pills' Aldridge and Balzing will have no one to grumble at! :D :D :D ,

Days like today, are why we go through all the other rubbish. (Or at least some of us still do)

I wont hear this nonsense about us being a "Dead Club" "What's the point, not wasting my money" etc etc ....... If you were there today, and you love Walsall, then I hope you feel as happy as I do. Wish my Dad was still here, cos he would be beaming too.

Keep on fighting for the Saddlers.

P.S I hope Sound Out enjoyed his round of golf.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:25 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:Their fans ain't impressed with their own "idiots" running on the pitch either looking at owlstalk

Wasn't just those two though Steve, the last 2 blocks in the family stand were trying to get on the pitch & then charging down the walkaway to the gate & trying to scale it. Utter scumbags. Don't blame Walsall fans for that.

Our stewards & the Policing was very poor today & left Walsall fans in the LFTG block FL6 to defend themselves, when being attacked & threatened by Wendy fans, including that topless bald tango man.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:25 pm

Asps wrote:
Whitti Steve wrote:Their fans ain't impressed with their own "idiots" running on the pitch either looking at owlstalk

Wasn't just those two though Steve, the last 2 blocks in the family stand were trying to get on the pitch & then charging down the walkaway to the gate & trying to scale it. Utter scumbags. Don't blame Walsall fans for that.

Our stewards & the Policing was very poor today & left Walsall fans in the LFTG block FL6 to defend themselves, when being attacked & threatened by Wendy fans, including that topless bald tango man.

And the South American !

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:26 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
Asps wrote:

And the South American !

*edit*

Is that an 8 match ban ?

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:26 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:
Asps wrote:

And the South American !

*edit*

Is that an 8 match ban ?

For your lighter yes!!

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:29 pm

Where did I blame Walsall fans?

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:30 pm

Asps wrote:

He was down by Block G in the first half, noticed him when they asked Wednesday fans at the front to sit down cus the disabled fans behind couldn't see. Came right down the other end to be the lead dickhead when it all kicked off.

He looked like your average Newcastle fan.

kshammer
Site Addict

Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:35 pm

A few points about today...

First on Wednesday. How the hell are they were they are? Typical Megson team of donkeys and for him to say "they did not cause us any problems" is an absolute joke. We more than gave them a match and had shut their fans up long before they scored.

Also, with the idiots fighting it was a handful of Sheffield morons with the usual Walsall meatheads/chavvy teenagers getting involved. I can never understand why grown men want to get involved in a scrap about a game of football but it shouldn't take anything away from the game. To be fair to Sheffield it did seem that the fat one with no top on seemed to be trying to calm it all down in the end but I didn't see what he'd done previously. Was he instigating it all?

The Saddlers were great today from one to eleven, and they and Smith deserve alot of credit (i'm sure the doom and gloom merchants will do so :roll: ). If they could play like that every week we would stop up without doubt but the Rochdale match could now be a pivotal point in our season. A good win and the lads could start a good run of form, a bad loss and they're back to square one. The manner of the victory and the drama that surrounded it could really be the turning point and hopefully the extra fans who turned up today will have enjoyed it and want to come again in the near future. The team deserve that for today.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:46 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:

Days like today, are why we go through all the other rubbish. (Or at least some of us still do)

I wont hear this nonsense about us being a "Dead Club" "What's the point, not wasting my money" etc etc ....... If you were there today, and you love Walsall, then I hope you feel as happy as I do. Wish my Dad was still here, cos he would be beaming too.

My late dad would also have been a happy man today, he used to love 'come back' wins!
Trying to get to home matches aye easy for me cus the wife god bless her, has ME so I can't leave her for long on her own
these days..hope top get to Bury on the 2nd, and buy a few rounds of drinks for you all!!

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:52 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:

My late dad would also have been a happy man today, he used to love 'come back' wins!
Trying to get to home matches aye easy for me cus the wife god bless her, has ME so I can't leave her for long on her own
these days..hope top get to Bury on the 2nd, and buy a few rounds of drinks for you all!!

You don't have to go to games, I am sure you have done your time !

I should be at Bury, look forward to seeing you.

Walsall F.C

mister marmite
UTS Veteran

Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:55 pm

I was towards the back of FL6 and could not believe my eyes to see on two seperate occasion wendy fans just hopping over the wall and heading towards our section of support - with next to nobody stopping them !. Simply astounding this was allowed to happen. I don't know alot about Stewarding but it seemed to be the usual bunch of stewards at that end who look after the gate between the fammily stand and our home end and lets be honest bar letting the pieman and community staff through they do naff and toda they had to handle that. You can't legistlate for that kind of behaviour though and it was soon all calmed down.

Footballwise we looked as resiliant as we did against Charlton, we focussed on the task in hand and got the job done.

In my eyes it sits up their with one of the best atmospheres and dramatic games ever at Bescot, along with Leeds FA Cup 94/95 the cup nights against Sheff United and Forest under Jan and the Play Off game against Stoke City.

As good as today was - it means nothing unless we get something out of Rochdale and Bury. At the end of the day 3 points against these guys means as much.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:05 pm

At half time the one who eventually got decked and thrown out bleeding, simply walked across the pitch uncontested.

All i saw was a few wendies having a go, then someone threw a punch, and then wendy wierdos waded in.

We all stood up because we thought they were coming through the fence at one point, they were close enough.The police were shite. Because they didnt throw one out, they nearly caused a riot. They have no idea what to do to stop it happening until it happens. And if you say dont get involved then you wre nowhere near what happened, what am i supposed to do? Sit there and take it like a mug. Yeah, okay. Anyway for a good 5 minutes before all this kicked off, it was just 3 blokes having a barney over a fence, chuck em both out and problem solved! Stewards/police pussied out of a decision.

As for the game, i went mental. I thought we deserved to win, we bossed them, and they scored of one counter attack. Megson is a joke, and they didnt sing his name once. I can see why. Back four was immense Manny Smith was MOTM. The front 3 were also hard working, and deserved more. Midfield much improved but Wednesday dont know what a midfield is!

Wednesday fans have the same old big club attitude and they cant handle being knocked back down to earth, they were an utter disgrace today. A disgrace to football itself. Big up tto the lads blocking the disabled view, then chanting that they will do what they like. Classy, inbred scum. Go back down t'pit and wait for it to collapse.

deanonev69
Glitterati

Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:22 pm

Nor the idiot who has done this either:

http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/index. ... 70-own-up/

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:25 pm

I will mention it briefly then move on… Sheffield Wednesday have their idiots as do Walsall! :evil: Moved on…

It seemed to me we went into the game with a game plan and carried it out a treat. As such I am delighted to heap praise on Dean Smith and ALL of the lads today who went out and expressed what it means to be a Walsall player representing the people of Walsall! How poo are Sheffield Wednesday for such a absolutely MASSIVE club! Tyipcal Megson side - bullies with little if any ability! These clowns wont get promotion - no chance!

For me we edged the first half and started the second brightly. Their goal was a first class counter attack and bearing in mind their meaty physical presence no one could be considered at fault. You would have thought that by the reaction of the Wednesday bench and their supporters when they scored that they had just won the World Cup! I haven’t seen quite so much excitement and euphoria for some time! For such a massive globally renowned club such as Sheffield Wednesday FC this result must be very impressing intend. 8) :lol:

We maintained our shape, pressed hard determined to get back at the ‘Manchester United’ of the old Second Division. And that is exactly what we did thanks to our free transfer from non league and some kid from Solihull College meaning an idiotic minority and big time majority spent an unhappy journey back to the beautiful city of Sheffield! :roll:

Well done Dean Smith, each and every MAN in a Walsall shirt and the heart beat of Walsall FC, the fans.

Very proud and happy man this evening! - We are Walsall, we do what we want!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:35 pm

It does me good to see some passion back in our fans once again, lets carry on the good work for ALL home matches and maybe we can achieve something slightly better than 'avoiding relegation'"!
UTS.. come on me babbies, perhaps we have our club back!

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:50 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:It does me good to see some passion back in our fans once again, lets carry on the good work for ALL home matches and maybe we can achieve something slightly better than 'avoiding relegation'"!
UTS.. come on me babbies, perhaps we have our club back!

No one ever took it away mate, seriously, it is there all the time, for us to enjoy, and suffer of course. We all know the off the field problems, and it would be stupid to ignore it, but by walking away, people are giving up, on something worth fighting for.

I was talking to a chap today, who at a guess is around 60, and in his own words he said " Apart from about 3 seasons, we have always been sh*t" Probably not an exact truth, but it's not that far off. It's what you make it, what it means to you. I always feel passionate about Walsall F.C, always have, always will.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:52 pm

I had a great view of the incident from the upper F2G.

Tango man should be applauded. He walked all the way from his own end and was pulling Wednesday fans back and telling them to go away back towards their end.

Back to the game.

First half - two appalling teams - we were marginally less appalling.

Second half - we dominated more and thoroughly deserved the win even though our attacking play is woeful.

Macken held the ball up brilliantly. Beevers was class. Peterlin for me was MOTM - superb today.

Did anyone notice how we actually retained the ball and played much better when Taundry went off? Sell him to Sporting Khalsa or something - get rid of him. I have never seen anyone give the ball away or run into blind alleys. In fact, he was to blame for losing the ball for their goal.

But all in all - a much better performance but still not great. Sheffield Wednesday were atrocious - I would be embarrassed if I supported them.

Now, we must beat Rochdale else this result is pointless.

kshammer
Site Addict

Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:31 pm

Saarland Saddler wrote:I had a great view of the incident from the upper F2G.

Tango man should be applauded. He walked all the way from his own end and was pulling Wednesday fans back and telling them to go away back towards their end.

Back to the game.

First half - two appalling teams - we were marginally less appalling.

Second half - we dominated more and thoroughly deserved the win even though our attacking play is woeful.

Macken held the ball up brilliantly. Beevers was class. Peterlin for me was MOTM - superb today.

Did anyone notice how we actually retained the ball and played much better when Taundry went off? Sell him to Sporting Khalsa or something - get rid of him. I have never seen anyone give the ball away or run into blind alleys. In fact, he was to blame for losing the ball for their goal.

But all in all - a much better performance but still not great. Sheffield Wednesday were atrocious - I would be embarrassed if I supported them.

Now, we must beat Rochdale else this result is pointless.

I agree on tango man and on Beevers and Macken.

Harsh on Taundry though and on the match in general. Competative game and everyone played their part, including Taundry. What do you expect from a Walsall team... they aint perfect but today they all did us proud. There were a couple of occasions when Taundry's little jinks and turns were excellent but I suppose they don't get noticed when you've already decided you hate someone.

Must also mention Butler and Manny... fought for everything. The sponsors nominating Walker as MOTM was a joke though and made it sound like he'd had loads to do when in fact he hadn't.

gray
Glitterati

Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:37 pm

I think its a fair comment on Taundry, he wasn't awful but he was definitely not good. He gives the ball away all the time and goes on runs where he beats two men but will always lose it to the third man. Also on the wing he is afraid to take defenders on 9 times out of 10. I don't think we should be focussing on negatives though, the team as a whole played very well!

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:44 pm

gray wrote:I think its a fair comment on Taundry, he wasn't awful but he was definitely not good. He gives the ball away all the time and goes on runs where he beats two men but will always lose it to the third man. Also on the wing he is afraid to take defenders on 9 times out of 10. I don't think we should be focussing on negatives though, the team as a whole played very well!

The thing is though, with Taundry, some of it can be avoided. Like there is only a certain level a player can get to, and Taundry is never going to be an outsanding player, but he could still do a job for us, if only he knew when to release the soddin ball! So many times he does good work, and fails to lay it off. If he played more simple passes, and actually just found a red shirt, he would be far more effective. Once he has beat a man, either pass it or , cross it, whatever, don't just keep running up blind alleys.

Bit harsh to blame him for the goal, but if he had chose one of the other options other than just run in to defenders, then it seems unlikely the goal comes about. I wouldn't be to hard on him for today though,he put in a decent shift, but it does seem as though Smith just has to pick him no matter what.

realist saddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:00 pm

latviancheese wrote:At half time the one who eventually got decked and thrown out bleeding, simply walked across the pitch uncontested.

All i saw was a few wendies having a go, then someone threw a punch, and then wendy wierdos waded in.

We all stood up because we thought they were coming through the fence at one point, they were close enough.The police were guano. Because they didnt throw one out, they nearly caused a riot. They have no idea what to do to stop it happening until it happens. And if you say dont get involved then you wre nowhere near what happened, what am i supposed to do? Sit there and take it like a mug. Yeah, okay. Anyway for a good 5 minutes before all this kicked off, it was just 3 blokes having a barney over a fence, chuck em both out and problem solved! Stewards/police pussied out of a decision.

As for the game, i went mental. I thought we deserved to win, we bossed them, and they scored of one counter attack. Megson is a joke, and they didnt sing his name once. I can see why. Back four was immense Manny Smith was MOTM. The front 3 were also hard working, and deserved more. Midfield much improved but Wednesday dont know what a midfield is!

Wednesday fans have the same old big club attitude and they cant handle being knocked back down to earth, they were an utter disgrace today. A disgrace to football itself. Big up tto the lads blocking the disabled view, then chanting that they will do what they like. Classy, inbred scum. Go back down t'pit and wait for it to collapse.

i aint
To be honest latvian ur a saddler, although if the wendi s play up no worries sta nd ur ground man, dont be some walsall muppit who backs down if they try anbd take ur end have a go, i aint no hapy clapperr i dont cause agro but for ****** sake we stand our ground man sorry im pissed.

Post moderated - don't by-pass the swear-filter. Mod

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:27 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

WE ARE THE BOYS FROM THE BLACK COUNTRY.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:36 pm

Megson - never won at Bescot.

mrgoose

Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:47 pm

Nice to see Mr Megson giving a fair and balanced review of the game.

VIEWS FROM THE DRESSING ROOM
Sheffield Wednesday manager Gary Megson told BBC Radio Sheffield:

"We'd got the game won going into injury time, it's a fluke the first goal, but after that you make sure you get something from the game.

"All it was, was a simple ball thrown in from wide, I would expect us to header it and if not I would certainly expect us to get the second ball, but we've switched off when there's got to be a knowledge that you don't switch off they've got the momentum.

"You know where the ball's going and you've got to win it."

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:53 pm

You missed the part where he referred to an "alehouse ball" into the middle for our second goal.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:08 am

Taundry actually had an alright game, but some people, as proved with Richards, will never win.. Unfortunatly he also gave the ball away for the goal though.

I still suspect the only reason our midfield took some sort of control is because Sheff Wednesday bypassit.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:46 am

latviancheese wrote:Taundry actually had an alright game, but some people, as proved with Richards, will never win.. Unfortunatly he also gave the ball away for the goal though.

I still suspect the only reason our midfield took some sort of control is because Sheff Wednesday bypassit.

Wrong - he was atrocious.

He works hard but has zero quality. He lost the ball all game; and most importantly for their goal. He is useless.

But don't let this detract from the amazing result we achieved today - they were all class.

Beevers and Peterlin are my new heroes.

PreviousNext
Return to 2011-12 Season