Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Chesterfield (A) League 1 Saturday 17/12/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
chestersaddler
Site Addict

Re: Chesterfield (A) League 1 Saturday 17/12/11.

Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:19 pm

DanWalsallFC wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
DanWalsallFC wrote:The annoying thing is, even with sacking the manager, we'll be here again next season. We've reached the point at this club where we won't advance unless we have some funds. Loans and other clubs unwanted players won't save us forever. Get Bonser out, the pathetic old man needs to do one and retire to Cyprus and never come back.
BONSER OUT

The quality of the playing staff this season is inferior to last. Richards, Cook, Gill, Ledesma, Gray and even Lescott would walk into this team.

Exactly.
Also, we all moan that we can't put away chances. That's nobodys fault but Bonsers once again. We'd all struggle to find a decent goalscorer for free. We have to rely on youths, and the problem with that is, once they have a decent season or two we get rid of them too and we're back to square one.
Fed up with the way this club is run. Lets get Bonser out before we worry about the manager.

That's why I will not clammer for Smith's head. Yes, we could get someone with more experience and yes, we could get someone that might sign better players. But when you are drawing tombola tickets we could just as easily get someone worse.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:34 pm

I said at the beginning of the season that on paper this squad was in the bottom 2 or 3 with the worst squads on paper. Hartlepool and Yeovil are perhaps in the same boat. I also said that Richard, Gray, Cook and Ledesma were much better players than the ones we now had - and got sniped by the richards haters. I didnt like Julian Gray remotely but my god is he better than Hurst, Halliday and Gnapka. In Gray and Richards we had 18 odd goals and 20 odd assits gone from a side that finished 1 point above the relegation zone.

Strangely im pleased with the defence - its one of the better in the division the stats suggest so and if we could have offered deals acceptable or made a bigger effort to keep the players above - we'd be much better off now.

I dont blame Smith so much because we are working hard for him, we just have no quality through the side at all.

Out of the current crop id keep.

Grof
Walker
Sadler
Smith
Butler
Nicholls
Paterson
Bowerman

The rest can go as far as im concerned. Macken's still a good player but he's getting no younger.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:42 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:Lescott would walk into this team.

That shows how bad we are.

I agree, however, before getting injured at Swindon, he was playing well. Overall, the team that finished last season is a notch up on this lot

And the rest. Utter utter bilge.

The only way to look at it is, would any of the players who we have replaced the others with get in the team last season? Nope.

Garbage, utter garbage.

BEIRLYND

Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:49 pm

How disappointing, better team in first half, then ginger Mourinho gives his half time pearls of wisdom. 2nd half cannot get ball over half way line, made worse by his pathetic use of subs i.e Grigg for Macken.
Walker my man of the match. Peterlin as bad today as on Tuesday.
SMITH OUT

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:50 pm

A frustrating game - overall, we should be grateful for a point because, over the full 90 minutes, Chesterfield were the less bad team. Yet it could so easily have been a welcome rare away win. How many times have we conceded a goal in the closing minutes, this season? Lester's equaliser came on 44 minutes and 44 seconds of the second half! In the first half, without ever dominating play, we always looked in control. However, in the second half, play was nearly all in our half. Luckily for us, the Spireites are as crap in front of goal as we are.

Walker - did what he had to do, well, with ever being really extended.

Westlake - steady performance, nothing outstanding, but no major mistakes, either.
Beevers - a workmanlike performance. Although he's not quite good enough to get into our full-strength starting XI, he does provide reliable cover along the back four.
Butler - usual performance, excellent headers, tackles and blocks but bloody awful distribution.
Sadler - good performance again.

Taundry - as usual, worked his socks off and gave good support to Westlake.
Peterlin - who?
Chambers - see Peterlin - if Peterlin and Chambers are the answer, what on earth was the question? Totally anonymous again. In their defence, I will say that the distribution of Walker and the back four usually by-passes them. You don't need a conventional midfield when your defenders play "hoofball". Can somebody on the coaching staff PLEASE do something about this?
Paterson - wide left is not his best position but he is still learning (and hopefully "filling out"). Always looks more dangerous when cutting into the penalty-area.

Nicholls - worked tremendously hard right across the width of the pitch. Took his goal well. My MotM.
Macken - the old warhorse was a good player in his day but he is now well past his "best before" date.

Grigg (for Macken) - no improvement on the old man (even worse, in fact)
Halliday (for Paterson) - not enough time on pitch.
Bowerman (for Westlake) - reshuffle saw Taundry drop to right-back. Bowerman managed one on-target shot but it was too weak.

I am still concerned about the style (or lack of it) of our football. Persistent "big boot" upfield to a dwarf forward line, none of whom could head their way out of a wet paper bag. This suggests poor coaching. Even if we do sort this out, we still need a couple of midfield players.

Listening to BBC Radio Dingle (yeah, I know!) on the way home, I heard that Deano and some of the players were complaining that Jack Lester (who went on to score the equaliser) should have been sent off for elbowing Chambers in the face. We can't comment on that because we were all in the North Stand while all the action was in our half, at the other end! :evil:

Nice little ground - no stanchions, Roy! :twisted: The traffic management outside was just as bad as at Bescot, though.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:15 pm

Annoying we couldn't bag all 3 points but that's what you get from sitting back all second fudge half, absolute disgrace it was. Chesterfield goal came and I wasn't the slightest bit surprised. Shocking, shocking tactics seeing as we played OK for the majority of the first half, why change to some 'park the bus' shite when these lot were so un-confident and clearly there for the taking?!

Nevertheless a cracking away day, real nice ground too...

bangsection
Site Addict

Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:17 pm

Tonight's match report comes courtesy of the Chesterfield first team, who I had a chat to at the train station before they went to Liverpool on their Christmas booze up. They were grateful to get a point after the first 20 minutes when they hardly touched the ball. But after we scored we just looked content to hold on for three points. We were desperate second half. This was an interesting counterpoint to the Dagenham game. Those moaning that we couldn't beat the team bottom of the four divisions over 210 minutes should take heart from us holding our own against one of last season's L2 promotion winners. But the fact we've started looking ahead to next season in the fourth tier says it all really. Very, very poor today against the worst side we will face this season.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:27 pm

Blazing's report.

I drunk beer.

We played reasonably well in the first half.
We played extremely cack in the second.

Whatever the performance level was, yet again we let a goal lead slip right at the end of the match. Despite use being very poor second half, I didn't think they were going to score, but I guess it was always going to happen, more out of our crapness, than anything they had to offer.

Sadly, I think we are going down this season, but as someone said to me today, and I totally agree, if it isn't this year, it will be next year.

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:45 pm

Couldn't keep a clean sheet if our lives depended on it , and very our lives will depend on it or at least our league one live .

Before the game Smith said " We are out of all the cup competitions we can now concentrate on the league " :roll:

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:08 pm

I'm a supporter of Dean Smith, and think the crux of most our problems lie with Bonser. However, Bonser wasn't on the touchline making decisions today, Smith was. And he made a couple of questionable ones, and one absolute shocker.

Substituting Macken was fair enough, as he'd put a shift in dropping deeper to collect the ball and was looking shattered. I'd have brought Bowerman on instead of Grigg as I think Grigg is hopelessly out of form. Then, when Taundry was booked (a truly appalling decision, won the ball cleanly and fairly), he stopped committing to tackles. Given our track record for receiving red cards that's understandable, but he should have been replaced and Gnakpa brought on. I know Gnakpa is hardly dynamic in tackling, but the rest of the team know this too. They were expecting Taundry to tackle, and he didn't because he was scared of picking up a second booking.

However, then came the decision that cost us the game. 86 minutes, Westlake off, Bowerman on. This needs explaining as I just can't figure it out. Westlake jogged off, so I doubt he was injured. But even if he was, we still had Gnakpa on the bench who was a right back in a previous life. If he was just trying to waste time, he could have swapped like for like with Nicholls. Instead Bowerman went up front, Nicholls (who had been our best player playing back up front), got moved to the right, and the non tackling Taundry moved to right back. It left us disjointed and unbalanced and we paid the price. I can't understand why he did it, and I can't understand why RO'K on the bench didn't turn round to him and say "Dean, you know this change you want to make, its a bit stupid".

The line up was again questionable. We played a 4-3-3 team and set them out in a 4-4-2 formation. For the first half it worked, but after the break we were dreadful. The match is well summed up by Blazing's two sentences. First half we played reasonably well. Second half we played absolutely cack. But Deano's decision making cost us the game.

brackley
UTS Veteran

'Deano Howler' - 2 points dropped!

Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:30 pm

I am sorry to say that for me this game was thrown away by the Manager through some tactical naivity.

For 80 minutes we proved to be difficult oposition for a Chesterfield side also languishing at the foot of the table - and arguably for the same reasons of having little to offer up front with Wacka having nothing more than a couple of saves to make all game.......

We had periods of play where we kept posession and looked dangerous going forward without really carving out any threat in the final third with Macken and Nicholls putting in a shift without ever looking like scoring.........and then;

Some sharp inter-changing play saw us clean through to slot it past their advancing keeper to put the travelling army of supporters wild on the terraces - got to say we were bloody magnificent all game and we must have had knocking on a thousand of us braving the elements. In fairness a few minutes earlier we had carved out a similar chance but we snatched at a half-volley that skewed wide of the post from just inside the box.......

For the entire game we defended magnificently, Butler was his usual colossus self and I have to hand it to Beevers who I thought made a very able stand-in centre half. At the back we looked a solid unit...

The second-half saw them come out of the traps early on as you would expect and we needed to soak up long-periods of pressure, with thier main threat coming down our right side with Westlake being given a torrid time by their No.17 Dean Morgan who I thought was one of their best players.........that limited us to counter-attacks with Paterson injecting energy and some creativity to our play that saw us grab a few corners in quick succession with the feeling that we might grab a much needed second to give them an uphill task........unfortunately once again no end product, which pushed us on the back foot as they built some intelligent play from the back with Macken tiring..........

The last 10 minutes started to see pressure building from their patterns of play as they moved the ball wide to either winger, which we were coping with admirably and forcing them to play the ball across the line from side to side as they were struggling to find an opening with every player behind the ball giving fierce resistance......apart from one minor heart in mouth ball skimming cross-bar incident we looked inpenetratable.

Then the ginger one decides to make some tactical switches;

Grigg on for Macken.......... why oh why oh why does he persist with the lad :twisted: - not good enough, we might as well have kept a knackered Macken on the pitch for all he offered.

Then....... Halliday on for Paterson, mistake No.1 - shortly followed my mistake No.2, Bowerman on for Westlake as we switched to 3-4-3 formation........absolute suicide when you have Grigg who has about as much presence and pace about his play as my 6 year-old lad and thats doing my boy a dis-service!!

Clearly. Deano was trying to qwell their build up play from the back and hope we could nick a late 2nd on the counter-attack.

Hellooooooooooooooooooooo, earth to Deano, having Grigg on up front was as good as putting us down to 10 men with that formation and at the expense of our right back. Ok, they had surprisingly taken off their No.17 just before who i thought was quality, but it was a bad miscalculation to follow from Deano.......... if we had of kept paterson on the pitch and switched him to the right hand side and told him to track back as cover on the defensive then the tactical switch might have worked.......

Well played lads today a good solid and doggid performance, which we should have won were it not for tactical ineptitude - when will he learn!!! :twisted: ...........problem is, mistakes like this will cost us our place in the division if it carries on with the turn of the year only around the corner and with clubs around us who will have some cash to flash. I read with interest on the inside cover page a statement from the club to its supporters and apologising for the current league position and that money would be made available in january.........

20+ games into the season, it is startling to see what a fine line that separates the bottom clubs from those in mid-table - the answer is; a striker who can bag some goals............ we are an ok side and with a decent striker that offers some pace, ability and an eye for goal we could see the side transformed!

We need a good striker in the January sales please - a glaring inadequacy at present!

BRACKLEY

latviancheese
Site Addict

Re: 'Deano Howler' - 2 points dropped!

Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:10 pm

Dont forget the wonderful volley or whatever cack someone can come up with earlier in the season.

Isnt he also our top scorer or some other bollocks bullshit stuck up for little boys reason?

Grigg is bollocks, people are realising this. But he is young, and has caps for NORTHERN fudge IRELAND. He will be our saviour.

At least the Wolves lost.

Whitters
Site Addict

Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:21 pm

Thanks for your insights Brackley!
And frankly who gives a monkeys whether Wolves win draw lose or get a nuclear bomb dropped on them?

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:24 pm

Me. I ate Wulvs.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:32 pm

Whitters wrote:Thanks for your insights Brackley!
And frankly who gives a monkeys whether Wolves win draw lose or get a nuclear bomb dropped on them?

WAHHHHHHH.

Wolves sympathisers, go away. Your worse than Villa fans.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:37 pm

469 Saddlers in attendance, Brackley.

brackley
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:46 pm

Darth Vader wrote:469 Saddlers in attendance, Brackley.

Seriously......... it felt like alot more than that. Just shows the noise we can make when we find our voices :D

Jonmarlow

Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:22 am

Bernie wrote:
Jolly Johnny wrote:Well the match stats tell you they have had all the chances so at some point there was the likelihood one would go in. :?

The match stats according to Saddlers Player:

Possession: Chesterfield 60%, Walsall 40%

Shots on Target: Chesterfield 9, Walsall 2
Shots off Target: Chesterfield 10, Walsall 5.

Two shots on target in 90 minutes play against the bottom club in the division. Walsall have the worst record in the division in terms of goals scored, but are the tenth best in terms of fewest goals conceded.

Yes and one of thoses shots was by George Bowerman who had only been on the field for a pathetic 5mins, this lad is a natural goal scorer which Walsall are clearly lacking I have seen the lad play at reserve level and for the first team and I can honestly say is the best finisher at the club. So why does the ginger mourinio (yeah right!!!!!!) persist to keep bringing the lad on for 15min? When he has come on he has changed the game, we hadn't even had a shot on Tuesday night against dagenham until GB came on, and I am confident the lad would have scored if he would have had some decent service but unfortunately he didn't. Chambers had a great chance to play him in but instead tried a 20 yard shot which cleared the stands, but I'm not knocking chambers because he is a decent lad, then gnapa should have played the lad in for a 1 on 1 but I'm sorry to say the lad is like a race horse with blinkers on!!! Smith needs to start the lad from the start of the game when Walsall are creating there most chances and I think the lad would get us 20 goals plus not keep bringing him on for 15 min when the Walsall legs have gone and the lad is then starved of service GIVE THE LAD A CHANCE SMITH AND HAVE A PAIR TO DROP ONE OF THE OTHER SENIOR PLAYERS WHO ARE NOT PERFORMING

bangsection
Site Addict

Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:08 pm

Just thought I'd give some love to the B2Net Megaplex or whatever it's called. Britain's retail parks are littered with awful modern football stadia, but Chesterfield's new ground is about the best new-build I've been to. Out of town but not in the middle of nowhere. Decent pubs nearby (really enjoyed the Derby Tup). Not too big (felt pretty full with 6k in). Unobtrusive stewards (nobody told us to sit down every 10 minutes) excellent pies and they even kept serving beer after the second half had started. I think they might have cracked it!

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:19 pm

bangsection wrote:Just thought I'd give some love to the B2Net Megaplex or whatever it's called. Britain's retail parks are littered with awful modern football stadia, but Chesterfield's new ground is about the best new-build I've been to. Out of town but not in the middle of nowhere. Decent pubs nearby (really enjoyed the Derby Tup). Not too big (felt pretty full with 6k in). Unobtrusive stewards (nobody told us to sit down every 10 minutes) excellent pies and they even kept serving beer after the second half had started. I think they might have cracked it!

What about chips? :D

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:32 pm

bangsection wrote:Just thought I'd give some love to the B2Net Megaplex or whatever it's called. Britain's retail parks are littered with awful modern football stadia, but Chesterfield's new ground is about the best new-build I've been to. Out of town but not in the middle of nowhere. Decent pubs nearby (really enjoyed the Derby Tup). Not too big (felt pretty full with 6k in). Unobtrusive stewards (nobody told us to sit down every 10 minutes) excellent pies and they even kept serving beer after the second half had started. I think they might have cracked it!

Indeed, it really was a pleasurable experience yesterday. Stewards were very fan freindly, I was talking to a steward at half time, he does Derby's games too. Very nice chap, whilst talking to me, someone tried to take some beer out the back entrance which had been opened for smokers, he politely told the guy he couldn't take beer outside, and that was the end of it, another ground another day, another steward, there would probably have ended up being an arrest there.

And you could actually watch the whole game on the TV at the bar if you so wished, genius!

geoff skillet
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:44 pm

"Peterlin - who?
Chambers - see Peterlin - if Peterlin and Chambers are the answer, what on earth was the question?"

DS singled them out for special praise "Pets and Chambo", apparently.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:25 pm

geoff skillet wrote:"Peterlin - who?
Chambers - see Peterlin - if Peterlin and Chambers are the answer, what on earth was the question?"

DS singled them out for special praise "Pets and Chambo", apparently.

Sheesh, smacks of McClaren 'becks and stevie g', that does. :roll:

gray
Glitterati

Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:53 pm

I saw David Grof at the station on the way home. He said that Deano had praised the team for their first half performance and then had said after that he had wished he hadn't. Grof seemed like a top guy by the way and said he's happy to wait around as Jimmy will be retiring at the end of the season.

As for the game, I thought it was two really bad teams. After going 1-0 up they were really there for the taking. It shows how bad we are that we completely let them get back into the game and sat back and let them score the inevitable equaliser.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:54 pm

geoff skillet wrote:"Peterlin - who?

DS singled them out for special praise, "Pets and Chambo", apparently.

I heard that he had. Deano really must watch a different game ... but, as I said, earlier, Walsall's midfield play will not improve until he sorts out the appalling "hoofball" passing of the defence. Andrés Iniesta would struggle to make an impact in our midfield. He would get neck-ache, watching the ball bypass him.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:29 pm

Relegation

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:27 pm

Match is all a bit hazy due to the quality of ale in the Derby Tup :D One of the best pre-match pubs around.

Nice ground, nice pubs, good atmosphere from the Saddlers and all in all a good day. Apart from the last 20 seconds of the match o course!

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:49 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:Match is all a bit hazy due to the quality of ale in the Derby Tup :D One of the best pre-match pubs around.

Nice ground, nice pubs, good atmosphere from the Saddlers and all in all a good day. Apart from the last 20 seconds of the match o course!

for how much you was enjoying that day i am suprised at that small offering from you, take it your head is still hurting from the antics haha.

bangsection
Site Addict

Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:00 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Relegation

Nah, we'll be OK. Apparently, if you pass the ball backwards you can't be relegated.

mel58
UTS Veteran

Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:13 pm

Immensely disappointing but, somehow, inevitable. We lost out on our opportunity by not yaking full advantage of Chesterfield's awful first half performance. I was baffled by Smith's decisions regarding substitutions. Patterson should be doing 90 minutes unless he's injured as he's the only one in the squad with both pace and ball control. Having him and Nicholls on the pitch surely must be good, especially away from home. Grigg was anonymous and with Macken going off as well as Patterson we had little cohesion up front. Surely Bowerman should have replaced Macken.

Oh, and as regards Peterlin; whilst acknowledging he has no pace and is about as defensively solid as a candyfloss wall, if he's given the opportunity he can pick a pass. I think it was his through ball that led to Nicholls scoring and he was also responsible for the pass that set up Macken to shoot just wide in the first half.

PreviousNext
Return to 2011-12 Season