Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Dagenham & Redbridge (H) FA Cup 2nd Rd Replay Tuesady 13/12

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
Cully
Site Addict

Re: Dagenham & Redbridge (H) FA Cup 2nd Rd Replay Tuesady 13

Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:55 am

For the benefit of those who haven't heard our 'managers' comments on last nights match just check this out :-

'It was a poor performance from the lads and I asked them a few questions after the match. They need to look at themselves as to why they produced a performance against the league leaders on Saturday and a poor one tonight. I said go home and think about it and to let me know when they return'.

I'm sorry Dean, you don't need to ask any questions, if the answer isn't obvious then it's time you handed the management reins over to Dancing Kev.

I agree wholeheartedly with Pedagogue, that was the most inept and appalling performance I have ever witnessed and if I was giving marks out of ten like a few posters do after the match then there would be a row of minuses all round with the lowest mark for Dean Smith who has proved beyond doubt that his signings, tactics and motivational qualities are up with the very worst of the last 40 years.

Absolute rubbish, there is no hope with him in charge.

By the way, Dagenham thoroughly deserved to go through last night; well done to them and good luck against Millwall.

BEIRLYND

Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:04 am

EMBARRASED

Embarrassed we could not beat team 92nd in league
embarrased team 92nd in league looked the better team
embarrased only 1800 turned up
embarraesd with a mid field of Peterlin, Chambers Nichols
embarrased with a team that cannot take pens
embarrased with a manager who selects wrong team, wrong tactics, wrong subs & admits will struggle to score 2 goals a game
Embarrased to have brought tickets for Chesterfield.
Embarrased unless we change manager again will get relegated.

and EMBARRASED WITH AN OWNER WHO HAS LOST INTEREST>

motty
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:11 pm

I'm getting the feeling your EMBARRASSED Tone.

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:21 pm

A nights sleep does not help the anger created by that performance. That was two very poor teams who rightly will be facing relegations based on that showing.

I can not remember one moment of quality from either side, in fact I can't even remeber a passage of 4 passes from either team!

So far this season we are out of all cups. The League Cup is fair enough, Middlesborough are in a league higher and it would have been a scalp to beat them. The Johnstones Paint Trophy and the FA Cup we have literally limped out of. We sit in the relegation zone and have won 4 games out of 27 league and cup games. If that is not cause for action then we may as well pack up now.

Reading the back of the E & S last night we had Smith talking about eyeing transfer funds from a cup run! I guess the outcome of last nights result is we will be stuck with the same dross for the rest of the season. I guess the positive is given Smith's ineptitude in the transfer/loan market at least we won't be squandering more money!

Today's E & S sees Smith not wanting to make any excuses for a poor performance but goes onto mention the poor pitch and our misfortune at not getting a penalty!!!

I think I have had my fill now, time to wave goodbye to Smith, it was a nice try but it simply is not working. He can also take a fair few of the current squad with him as it is embarrassing watching so called professional footballers paid to do a job for this club who can't pass or trap a ball and can't even hit the target from 12 yards. Committment to the club, highlighted by the way our team marched straight off the pitch down the tunnel to the nice warm dressing, no thought for the freezing cold and mind numbingly bored 1750 or so Walsall supporters who they couldn't be bothered to thank for having to be subjected to that debacle.

Over The Moon
UTS Veteran

Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:46 pm

I take it the sales of the Ginger Mourinho t-shirts are down this month!

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:14 pm

I'm used to Walsall losing and being rubbish a lot of the time. But I am struggling to remember a result and apparent performance that has made me so angry. Opportunity for third round, potentially winnable match, a bit of cash earned and maybe a new player or two on the back of it. Every person involved last night from management and players should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. :evil:

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:22 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:I'm used to Walsall losing and being rubbish a lot of the time. But I am struggling to remember a result and apparent performance that has made me so angry. Opportunity for third round, potentially winnable match, a bit of cash earned and maybe a new player or two on the back of it. Every person involved last night from management and players should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. :evil:

I'm ashamed of myself for supporting such a dire team and football club.

WombourneSaddlers

Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:37 pm

Tried to type angry comments last night but I had no feeling in my fingers.

Most of the relevant adjectives have already been used and having looked through my swearing dictionary, I couldn't find a word that was strong enough to describe what we saw yesterday.

So I'll just list the things that annoyed me most in no particular order:

1. Chambers. Goes through the motions, has zero influence on the game, is never there when it matters.
2. The continuing and baffling inability of professional footballers to pass the ball to a point ten yards away with a reasonable degree of accuracy. If you can't use your foot to control a football, then you are not a footballer.
3. Why, when we are struggling to retain possession and have a solitary little guy up front, does Walker insist on launching the ball from goal kicks?
4. Nicholls' penalty.
5. Claude's penalty.
6. Anyone seeking to derive comfort from the clean sheet. If Dagenham weren't so inept in front of goal, they'd have won 4-0
7. The fact that I couldn't feel my legs from around the 70th minute.

On the plus side I did manage to get a coffee at half time.

If Messrs Smith and O'Kelly want a focus for their coaching, they should start on the basics of control and passing, coupled with movement off the ball to offer themselves to receive passes. Until the players can master the basics of the game, we are heading for oblivion.

That puts it perfectly. When we've got the ball, everyone should be moving, giving the man with the ball 2-3 easy options every time. When we lose it, chase and harry till we get it back. Repeat for 90 minutes. It's really simple.

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:31 pm

i would have expected the manager to come out an apologise to each and everyone of us who went last night to watch utter garbage
still sinking in how bad we really are and how were still a league team is beyond me.

absolute nailed on relegation certs unless a miracle happens now

phil brown sacked today id drag him in and put him in charge fro saturdays game

WombourneSaddlers

Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:04 pm

You could drag him in, but once the chloroform wears off and he realises where he is, he might not want to stay.

kevin
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:21 pm

wednesburysaddler wrote:

Too late................he's gone to Tannadice.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:28 pm

This really is the lowest point of my following Walsall F.C. for nearly 50 years.
Yes we have had worse times, relegation etc but at least during those times we could see effort...but this dross is inexcuseable.
Players should be made to refund all entrance fees for those hardy 1700 who made the effort to get to the Bonks's's last night OUT OF THIER OWN WAGES. Any normal employer would just sack 'em all. unfortunately footy dow work that way, much the pity.
Was going to Chesterfield on Saturday, but not now. cus we''ll get beat.... simples, and probably drop to the bottom of the League...where we deserve to be anyway.
Very sad days indeed...pulled my car stickers off the screen today, I was sooo miffed.
Does anyone at the club know how to take a penalty incidentally? Totally embarrassing.
Sorry but Smith has to go..inept, let O'kelly take temporary control perhaps.What steps are the equally inept, so called Board of Directors going to take to shake up this mess? We may be waiting a looooong time methinks.
Welcome to miserable afternoons at Barnet/Macclesfield/Hereford etc.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:46 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:This really is the lowest point of my following Walsall F.C. for nearly 50 years.
Yes we have had worse times, relegation etc but at least during those times we could see effort...but this dross is inexcuseable.
Players should be made to refund all entrance fees for those hardy 1700 who made the effort to get to the Bonks's's last night OUT OF THIER OWN WAGES. Any normal employer would just sack 'em all. unfortunately footy dow work that way, much the pity.
Was going to Chesterfield on Saturday, but not now. cus we''ll get beat.... simples, and probably drop to the bottom of the League...where we deserve to be anyway.
Very sad days indeed...pulled my car stickers off the screen today, I was sooo miffed.
Does anyone at the club know how to take a penalty incidentally? Totally embarrassing.
Sorry but Smith has to go..inept, let O'kelly take temporary control perhaps.What steps are the equally inept, so called Board of Directors going to take to shake up this mess? We may be waiting a looooong time methinks.
Welcome to miserable afternoons at Barnet/Macclesfield/Hereford etc.

Your point about pulling car stickers off is a very strong emotional reaction in my opinion, but also very justified.

The thing that winds me up mist about all of this, is that Bonser has killed many hardcore supporters passion for the club, including mine, and to take of your car stickers is another example of how people are finally asking "what is the point"?

I know MANY life-long supporters that have simply gone from not missing a game home and away ALL SEASON, to not going at all anymore,All in the space of 3 seasons, and yet the people at the club either don't realise that this is the case,
or simply don't care. It makes me sick

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:01 pm

As he usually does, Priestley has again got his match report spot-on. I attended my first Walsall match in 1996 and have a regular ever since. What I saw last night was the most inept performance I've ever seen from a Walsall side.

Slough was embarassing, but at least you got the feeling that the game (and that season, frankly) was a complete anomaly with Merson in charge. As far as last night ges however, Priestley's right - we didn't just go through the motions in a one-off 'we didn't get the rub of the green' sort of way. The players did actually try - they were just woeful.

Dean Smith (or Richard O'Kelly - after all, he seemed to be doing the 'coaching' last night) needs to realise just how bad some of the players in this squad are. Sod the sentiment and just bin the dross. Westlake, Taundry and Nicholls to name three, aren't good enough and never will be. And the other seven outfield players aren't good enough to make up for that lack of quality.

To anyone who wasn't there last night, pop down to your local council pitches on Sunday and watch whatever game is being played - the quality will be ten times better than that shown by our team of 'professionals' last night.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:02 pm

Car stickers are a fool when the glue gets stuck to the back window

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:38 pm

I went to every game last season, but I now work saturdays meaning I can't make most games. Normally I go when I can. This is usually midweek games like last night. I could've gone last night, however I decided to spend the money I would've used for the ticket on a chinese takeaway and how glad I am that I did. 12 months a go, I would've been at the match no matter what. Now, I just don't see it as worth my while even to go to the odd match.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:47 pm

Wyrley_saddler wrote:I went to every game last season, but I now work saturdays meaning I can't make most games. Normally I go when I can. This is usually midweek games like last night. I could've gone last night, however I decided to spend the money I would've used for the ticket on a chinese takeaway and how glad I am that I did. 12 months a go, I would've been at the match no matter what. Now, I just don't see it as worth my while even to go to the odd match.

Chicken chow mein, chicken balls, pork fried rice and a four bottle of Tsingtao. Thats what you can get for the price of WFC. :mrgreen:

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:48 pm

latviancheese wrote:Car stickers are a barsteward when the glue gets stuck to the back window

You can't scrape a number plate off! I'm a SADDLR for life. :D

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:59 am

latviancheese wrote:
Wyrley_saddler wrote:I went to every game last season, but I now work saturdays meaning I can't make most games. Normally I go when I can. This is usually midweek games like last night. I could've gone last night, however I decided to spend the money I would've used for the ticket on a chinese takeaway and how glad I am that I did. 12 months a go, I would've been at the match no matter what. Now, I just don't see it as worth my while even to go to the odd match.

Chicken chow mein, chicken balls, pork fried rice and a four bottle of Tsingtao. Thats what you can get for the price of WFC. :mrgreen:

Thanks for making me feel hungry. :evil:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:02 pm

We did need just the one goal. Pretty depressing reading.

Not very orgasmtastic.

:(

kevin
UTS Legend

Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:08 pm

Over The Moon wrote:I take it the sales of the Ginger Mourinho t-shirts are down this month!

Classic :D :D :D

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:33 am

kevin wrote:
Over The Moon wrote:I take it the sales of the Ginger Mourinho t-shirts are down this month!

Classic :D :D :D

Didn't even see them in the shop - have they sold out?!!

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:36 pm

Just saw this after being away last few days.

Complete disgrace of a result. The whole lot should be sacked - start again with the youth team.

To be honest, I don't really care anymore. I used to blood and sweat Walsall FC but I now forget when we are playing - that is the biggest crime for me. The club have successfully taken the heart out of me and my club.

The whole lot of them can hang their heads in shame. Embarrassment.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:24 pm

Except Manny Fresh, what a LAD!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:11 pm

Saarland Saddler wrote:Just saw this after being away last few days.

Complete disgrace of a result. The whole lot should be sacked - start again with the youth team.

To be honest, I don't really care anymore. I used to blood and sweat Walsall FC but I now forget when we are playing - that is the biggest crime for me. The club have successfully taken the heart out of me and my club.

The whole lot of them can hang their heads in shame. Embarrassment.

Put the kids in Franksy.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:46 am

latviancheese wrote:Put the kids in Franksy.

He would be arrested for that! (So not such a bad idea, then!) :mrgreen:

Lynne Truss would just love latvian's post. The presence/absence of a single comma completely changes the meaning. :lol:

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:23 pm

Pedagogue wrote:

Lynne Truss would just love latvian's post. The presence/absence of a single comma completely changes the meaning. :lol:

Cum, on me babbies.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:41 pm

gerryhatrick wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:

Cum, on me babbies.

:oops: :oops: :mrgreen:

Previous
Return to 2011-12 Season