Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Dagenham & Redbridge (H) FA Cup 2nd Rd Replay Tuesady 13/12

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Re: Dagenham & Redbridge (H) FA Cup 2nd Rd Replay Tuesady 13

Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:35 pm

Appalling. Playing 4-5-1 in a home cup tie against the team at the bottom of League Two? Absolute joke.

It boils down to having awful players. Last season's team just about scraped survival and this season's is considerably weaker (Richards and Gray were allowed to leave and no attempt was made to replace them with players of similar calibre). We were always going to struggle this season but we seem to be lying back and dying without offering a fight.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:35 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:
belgiansaddler wrote:shut up u tool, I was only talking to people who actually bother to go when they can. Nob

Up yours tool.
You dont need to go to realise that Dean Smith is useless.
Mind you, idiots like you perhaps need to.

And there lies one of the biggest problems with WFC. Tools with a big mouth who cant be bothered to go. Chesterfield is only down the road for you Sheff, I hope to see you there

Of course I will be there.
The biggest problem at Walsall FC is the chairman, not people like me or in fact any fan whatsoever.
You are just being a stupid tool as usual.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:40 pm

I'd like to see Unity return to their original purpose and stop creeping to the club

[modded - if you have to go to the trouble of avoiding the filter you know it is wrong, and you should know better]

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:41 pm

when someome as articulate and fair minded as Pedagogue makes a post like that it says a lot. Still going to Chesterfield but gutted about this shambles tonight. Smith, his staff and the players should be ashamed of themselves. I try to be positive but i am sick of this dross

saddlerken
Site Addict

Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:41 pm

Pathetic, shameful, embarrassing, a disgrace

This is the worst set of players since Hibbitt was in charge

That midfield is non league pap

Clear the decks

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:43 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
belgiansaddler wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:
belgiansaddler wrote:shut up u tool, I was only talking to people who actually bother to go when they can. Nob

Up yours tool.

And there lies one of the biggest problems with WFC. Tools with a big mouth who cant be bothered to go. Chesterfield is only down the road for you Sheff, I hope to see you there

The biggest problem at Walsall FC is the chairman, not people like me or in fact any fan whatsoever.

are chelsea playing Sunday then? See you there, it's your round :D

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:44 pm

"Ladies and gentlemen, please return to your seats, fasten your seatbelts and fold away the tray. We're are likely to encounter a bumpy descent as we make our approach into Nonleagueland".

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:49 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:
belgiansaddler wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:

Up yours tool.

are chelsea playing Sunday then? See you there, it's your round :D

Ha Ha, you are so funny.
If you cared about the club as much as you make out, then you should have the sense and decency to direct your rants at the people that are destroying the club you make out you care about so much.
Me not going to matches is going to have less an effect on the club then the person who is destroying it,
Thats the trouble with people like you, no common sense whatsoever.

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:53 pm

7 pages when one word would do

dross!

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:00 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:[quote="belgiansaddlerHa Ha, you are so funny.
If you cared about the club as much as you make out, then you should have the sense and decency to direct your rants at the people that are destroying the club you make out you care about so much.
Me not going to matches is going to have less an effect on the club then the person who is destroying it,

Fantastic post Sheff. We all know about your devotion to the club :lol: :lol: :lol:

So do you agree it's your round Saturday?

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:02 am

belgiansaddler wrote:

Fantastic post Sheff. We all know about your devotion to the club :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice change of subject there, as you have shown once again, that although you think you are such a smart devoted fan, you are in fact none of the two.

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:04 am

I haven't read through the rest of the thread yet, I imagine its as depressing as the game was. I had a lively debate with a fellow Saddler on the way back from the first game, after she claimed I was far too optimistic, positive and easily pleased. I was content with a replay whereas she was embarrassed we hadn't managed to win. I assured her I was just more realistic than others, that things would be fine, that we were in the hat for the third round and would see them off in the replay.

Oops.

If all 1,802 people in the ground decided to write a match report on here, those that weren't there still wouldn't quite grasp just how poor that was. I was going to say we could have played all night and not scored, but actually that was exactly what happened. For what its worth we were never going to concede either. I think we could have played until the end of the world next December ( :wink: ) and still neither team would have scored. It was a match between two desperately poor teams and you would never tell we were a division apart. Infact, it had the feel of a reserve game.

If there's a positive its that we didn't concede and are looking difficult to beat, but that's not enough. We have a profound inability to win football matches, we just don't look as though we can, or ever will. We set up tonight in a 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation with Peterlin sitting behind Taundry and Chambers (I'd have swapped Peterlin and Chambers around, but that's a minor issue in comparison), and Nicholls and Paterson supporting Macken from wide. That was the plan and on paper it looked like a good one, unfortunately we just don't have the ability to execute such ambitious formations. Lancashire did his hamstring after 35 minutes which saw Butler introduced. At that point, with the possible exception of Sadler for either Beevers or Westlake, I'd say we had our strongest XI out there. And they were just dreadful. The most worrying aspect of this though is that they didn't really look like they could improve. They weren't going through the motions as such, they were actually really trying, it just wasn't good enough. Deano made two attacking substitutions, bringing Gnakpa on for Taundry and Bowerman for Paterson as we were really looking to win the game. We just didn't, and couldn't, and were never going to be able too. The only thing that would have made the night even more depressing was if the lights had gone out during extra time, the match had been abandoned and we were gonng have to sit through it all again next week. That, thankfully, didn't happen.

It was an expensive night in other areas too as we're now likely to be without Manny and Oli over Christmas, and with no other centre half at the club it looks like we'll be going over xmas with a back four of Sadler, Butler, Beevers, Westlake with no senion back up at all. It could see an opportunity for Jamie Tank to impress.

What makes this worse though is it by no means come as a shock. Its not like we've been playing blistering football and tonight we've turned in a shocker on a one off basis that will be out the system by Saturday. Everybody who made a pre-match prediction knew this was how tonight was going to go. It makes me wish we'd have just lost the first game and had done with it, as tonight was a complete waste of an evening.

However, we scored two penalties tonight and we only scored one in the Rochdale shootout, so we are improving :wink:

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:07 am

A performance which could be best described as spectacular in its ineptitude
Last edited by Salop Saddler on Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:13 am

Kiansmom wrote:7 pages when one word would do

dross!

Yes and you and Priestley ate all the pies. I saw ya :wink:

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:16 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
belgiansaddler wrote:

Nice change of subject there, as you have shown once again, that although you think you are such a smart devoted fan, you are in fact none of the two.

Nice report Priestly as ever. Not sure which subject I changed and I never claimed to be smart or devoted. But an insult like that coming from someone like Sheff makes me know I am doing something right :D . Sheff if you are finally going to a match on Saturday then by the law of averages it must be your round :mrgreen:
Last edited by belgiansaddler on Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:16 am

Asps wrote:

dross!

Not guilty your honour, I didn't see Kiansmom all night :(

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:17 am

Asps wrote:

dross!

what pies? was none left BEFORE kick off!! :twisted: had to settle for a cold cheeseburger. highlight of the night

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:19 am

priestley_saddler wrote:
Asps wrote:

dross!

Sorry, I saw her with armfuls of the white foil line bags & assume she'd got you something to go hot inside you :mrgreen:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:20 am

***Glass totally full mode*** Well, we now have a golden opportunity to concentrate on promotion..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:22 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:***Glass totally full mode*** Well, we now have a golden opportunity to concentrate on promotion..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Exactly, what more do people want; we've managed 4 games in the FA Cup this season!!!

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:23 am

Asps wrote:
priestley_saddler wrote:
Asps wrote:

dross!

Sorry, I saw her with armfuls of the white foil line bags & assume she'd got you something to go hot inside you :mrgreen:

I took the lads with me, for which I deserve to be reported to social services!!

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:28 am

Kiansmom wrote:
Asps wrote:
priestley_saddler wrote:
Asps wrote:

dross!

I took the lads with me, for which I deserve to be reported to social services!!

I did wonder if you were with Alex and that's who he was confusing me with :D

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:43 am

Asps wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:***Glass totally full mode*** Well, we now have a golden opportunity to concentrate on promotion..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Exactly, what more do people want; we've managed 4 games in the FA Cup this season!!!

That's the spirit :D

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:45 am

Asps wrote:

Putting it that way, it sounds like the cup run we've been craving for. So we should be positive about it, yes?

Whitters
Site Addict

Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:46 am

Pedagogue wrote:In the 56½ years that I have been watching the Saddlers, I have witnessed some pretty dire performances and tonight's was down there with the worst of them. Two of the worst teams in the Football League, both deservedly facing relegation at the end of the season.

It was lucky that only 1,802 were there to witness it. The only player in the team with the confidence to actually hold on to the ball and not treat it like a red-hot brick was Paterson and he frequently over-did it and gave the ball away. The rest were shocking with poor first touches and zero passing skills. It is an old saying in football that "If you can't pass, you can't play". Never was this more true than with WFC's 1st team. A couple of times Andy Butler just hoofed the ball upfield to our midget forward line (none of whom can head a ball) and Dean Smith shouted out "Well done, Buts!". FFS, Deano - it's NOT "well done", it's bloody awful! :evil:

If Messrs Smith and O'Kelly want a focus for their coaching, they should start on the basics of control and passing, coupled with movement off the ball to offer themselves to receive passes. Until the players can master the basics of the game, we are heading for oblivion.

I think that this is the most negative post that I have ever made but that is a measure of how depressed I feel after that shambles tonight.

Wow!!!!
Respect to the 1800 - our core support.
If Smith says at any stage "we didn't practise penalties" I'll scream until the men in white coats come around to see what the fuss is.
Then I'll carry on screaming.

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:42 am

Kiansmom wrote:
Asps wrote:
priestley_saddler wrote:
Asps wrote:

dross!

And didn't you look happy when I saw you at half time!!

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:44 am

I chose not to post until I had slept on it and hoped that things may look better after a nights sleep.

After a good nights sleep and the chance for things to settle, I can now deliver a balanced comment on last night

Absolute garbage!

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:28 am

We truly are a laughing stock if we weren't before!

Agree with Whitters - fair play to the 1,800 who had to sit through what sounded like an excuse for two professional football teams. To think 1,800 is now our core support, what has happened to the other 1,000-1,500? It wouldn't surprise me at all if our core support fell below 1,000 within 12-18 months.

However bad we think we are both on and off the pitch, I can assure you that it's are a lot worse than you think. Very worrying times guys.

While Bonsor is the root of the problem, Smith is proving himself inept but in my opinion alot of the blame should fail on the shoulders of our wonderful players. The majority of them are non league footballers plying there trade at the only club in the football league desperate enough to have them. They really need to shape up and fast because I am quickly losing all patience with them.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:33 am

Walsall_Casual wrote:We truly are a laughing stock if we weren't before!

Agree with Whitters - fair play to the 1,800 who had to sit through what sounded like an excuse for two professional football teams. To think 1,800 is now our core support, what has happened to the other 1,000-1,500? It wouldn't surprise me at all if our core support fell below 1,000 within 12-18 months.

However bad we think we are both on and off the pitch, I can assure you that it's are a lot worse than you think. [b]Very worrying times guys.[/b]

While Bonsor is the root of the problem, Smith is proving himself inept but in my opinion alot of the blame should fail on the shoulders of our wonderful players. The majority of them are non league footballers plying there trade at the only club in the football league desperate enough to have them. They really need to shape up and fast because I am quickly losing all patience with them.

I wonder when the club AGM is? Now that will be worrying!!!

Dr David Kelly
UTS Regular

Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:52 am

Was that game classed as a draw? if so, the blistering unbeaten run goes on......

Is there a team out there that can halt this amazing run?

PreviousNext
Return to 2011-12 Season