Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Charlton Athletic (H) League 1 Saturday 10/12/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
chestersaddler
Site Addict

Re: Charlton Athletic (H) League 1 Saturday 10/12/11.

Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:37 pm

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Macken

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:40 pm

MACKEN 1-0 !!!!!!!!!!!!! After a short corner taken by Taundz :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

(Actually, Lancashire provided the assist) We are (temporarily) out of the relegation zone!!!!!
Last edited by Welsh_Saddler on Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:41 pm

According to BBC the 'walking frame' one has scored!!
Must be an error?
Bury having an off day aye they? and Northampton have scored a goal!

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:46 pm

Cack - that didn't last long :( :(

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:50 pm

Manny Smith booked for time-wasting :roll:

We do seem to be vulnerable in those last few minutes before half-time....

At 1-0 I was going to say that depending on Butler's fitness, I would like to see him on for the second half, to protect what we've got. However with the half-time score at 1-1 I'm not so sure. :?

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:53 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Manny Smith booked for time-wasting :roll:

We do seem to be vulnerable in those last few minutes before half-time....

At 1-0 I was going to say that depending on Butler's fitness, I would like to see him on for the second half, to protect what we've got. However with the half-time score at 1-1 I'm not so sure. :?

From the commentary, it sounds like we have performed well. We do seem unable to keep a lead though.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:16 pm

53 minutes - Gnakpa on for Halliday. Deano seems to be going for the attacking option :mrgreen:

Attendance 4,537

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:24 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:53 minutes - Gnakpa on for Halliday. Deano seems to be going for the attacking option :mrgreen:

Attendance 4,537

Over 1500 from Charlton then presumably?
Wonder how long we can hold out?

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:45 pm

Bowerman on for Paterson. Keep the attacking option.

Peterlin on for Macken - fresh legs....... :wink:

With five minutes to go, we are back in the relegation mire after Yeovil take the lead against Notts County :(

Two minutes to go, Sadler sent off for second bookable offence :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Last edited by Welsh_Saddler on Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:50 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Bowerman on for Paterson. Keep the attacking option.

Peterlin on for Macken - fresh legs....... :wink:

With five minutes to go, we are back in the relegation mire after Yeovil take the lead against Notts County :(

Not gonna be our year is it?

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:02 pm

At the start of the game I would have taken a 1-1 scoreline with alacrity. However (yet again) we do seem to pile on the guano from within..... unable to protect (or extend) a lead, a booking for time-wasting, a sending-off, etc. etc.

However, a cracking result against the team that is running away with the title.

Dagenham & Redbridge lost at home to Port Fail today, so they may not be in the best of spirits for next Tuesday. :wink:

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:14 pm

This has to be seen as a good result against the top team, no doubt about it . Worrying, though, that yet again we let a lead slip so soon after scoring, and that we got yet another man sent-off and therefore suspended, but I'd certainly have taken this result at 3 o'clock. :)

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:09 pm

Decent enough game, though not sure how Charlton are top... and if they are top it shows just how bad we are! I thought we did Ok, and although at any other time I would have been really annoyed, Sadler possibly saved us a point by making the tackle he did (or didn't :D ).

Thought they all worked pretty hard, despite some of the usual frustrations. I'd settle for that. Need to build upon it and win a few now.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:29 pm

Just returned from the artic, pleased with both the effort and the performance shown by the team.

We had an excellent game plan and rarely looked threatened from open play, credit for this has to go to Smith. We made a team miles clear at the top look like a mid-table side. Almost all of the football played came from us, and on a different day we could have got the winner when Saddler's shot was cleared off the line.

Of the players, Smith was immense and needed to be against the hoofball tactics of Charlton (Curbishley must be spinning in his managerial grave). The two full backs were decent, particularly Saddler who took the sending off for the team. Lancashire went missing a couple of times which could have cost us, but I cant remember Wacka making a significant save. Chambers had a good game, and Taundrey tried to the best of his limited ability. The two starting wingers were mediocre, although Nicholls barely got any attacking possession and is wasted on the wing. Macken, although not desperate, was a shadow of the player at the end of last season, but his massive arse gave several free kicks away backing into the monsters at the center of the Charlton defence. Paterson was excellent, and the entire crowd mystified when Smith took him off - with him went most of our attacking threat. Of the subs, Bowerman again looked promising but raw, Gnapka looked the standard from where we signed him (though he could have scored) and Peterlin ok in the short time on the pitch.

I'm delighted with the point, and we could have nicked all 3. Charlton were shockingly poor for their position - a team of this relative size shouldn't be playing this sort of football. They will be well and truely knackered if that full back pulls his arm muscles and cant take the long throws which were their only real threat. Pleased for a change tonight.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:31 pm

All in all, I thought that was a very hard fought point and a decent performance against a side who had won eight games back to back before today. I still think we're a couple of players short of pulling ourselves away from danger, but we limited the best side in the league to scrambled changes from set pieces.

The first half was very even and Paterson's trickery and curled shot almost saw us in the lead after just a couple of minutes. Lancashire and Smith defended well at the back and Chambers did really well in protecting our back four, breaking up a lot of their midfield play. Offensively, we also looked sharper than we have in recent matches, with Macken again at the heart of our good play going forward and Paterson carrying some threat, playing just off Macken rather than his usual wide position.

The goal came thanks to a small slice of luck after Sadler picked up the short ball from Taundry's corner, had a shot which smacked Lancashire in the face and fell kindly for Macken to dispatch into an empty net. We'd probably just about edged things so the goal was a just reward for our efforts going forward.

Obviously, the problem we have is this soft underbelly that keeps coming back to haunt us. For the second game in a row, Beevers gave his man half a yard of space, which was enough for him to dig out the perfect cross for their midfielder to nod home. It was a well worked goal from their point of view, but we need to realise how small that margin for error is if we are to climb the table.

The second half really was anyone's game. Smith changed things by bringing Gnakpa on for Halliday, who had been very quiet, whilst Bowerman came on for Paterson. I've criticised Smith in the past for his tactics and substitutions, but I thought he got today's spot-on. Gnakpa gave us a bit more physical presence in their half and whilst Paterson had made more of an impact than Nicholls, it was important that we kept our shape, which is what happened as Paterson was replaced.

Charlton piled on the pressure towards the end and Sadler's red card was deserved, although he can take some credit for taking one for the team - had he not made the challenge, they'd have been clean through on goal with none of our other defenders in sight. We got another small slice of luck at the death when a corner was directed against the post, but a Charlton win would have been very hard on us.

After today's performance, I maintain the opinions I expressed after the last home game. Bowerman needs to start up front purely because of his striker's instinct. He knows where to be and when, and he plays on the shoulder of the last defender, which allows us to gather momentum in the opposition's half. Likewise, defenders hate playing against Paterson with his pace and trickery. We've been crying out for an attacking threat like that for so long that it seems silly not to make the most of it now we have the ideal man in the squad. Taundry meanwhile, continues to prove he's not good enough by being wasteful in possession - we need someone else in there to play alongside Chambers, who I thought was impressive today.

Next week's game isn't necessarily a must-win, but it's definitely a must-not-lose. One or two tweaks to the side that played today could be enough to see us claim a positive result.

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:34 pm

I'm not sure what to make of that. On the surface it looks a very good point, but part of me is disappointed not to have won the game. When we played Huddersfield it was backs to the wall stuff where we had to ride our luck, a proper gutsy point against a team you could tell were flying high in the league. I just didn't get that from Charlton today, it was an even game against a team that didn't look that much better than us. Clearly they are and maybe this was an off day for them, but I expected them to be stronger than they were.

I'm a bit surprised by Smiths comment "Our goal was something we'd worked on in training". Taundry knocks a corner to Sadler on the edge of the box who hits it, it smacks Lancashire square in the mush and bounces to Macken to slot in. I doubt it went exactly as they planned it in training , but as long as it went in I don't really care how it got there. Their equaliser came just as the board went up to show the injury time and, while a header from a cross sounds like something we should (justifiably) defend, the cross was excellent and the header out of the top draw. A very good goal but disappointing to concede so close to half time.

We took our red card count for the season to 7 and again we could have very few complaints. Both certain bookings, and Sadler walked. If there's a blessing its that he'll only miss the Dagenham replay. We REALLY do need to sort our discipline out though. Manny Smith was booked after Charlton won the throw in immediately prior to their goal, and to allow us time to set ourselves he threw the ball over the wall and into the front row of the crowd; very stupid booking to pick up. Paterson was incredibly lucky not to get booked for kicking the ball away in the second half too.

Overall a very good point, but we MUST back this up by beating Chesterfield next week. Lose there and this point today is all for nothing. Flipping it the other way though, get through in the cup and beat Chesterfield, we go into Christmas on a 6 game unbeaten run.

Walker - Sails incredibly close to the wind in terms of time wasting and I think he was lucky not to get booked for it for the third week in a row. Made himself big to make one good save in the first half, but didn't have a great deal to do otherwise.
Beevers - Solid enough, even though the cross for their goal came from down his side. Switched to left back after Sadler's red card and will presumably play their again on Tuesday.
Sadler - No complaints with the red card. We'd have been in trouble if he hadn't brought their man down for his second booking. Took one for the team.
Lancashire - Giving Deano a selection problem. There's no doubt that the defence would be stronger with Butler there, but Lancashire is doing nothing at the moment to suggest he should be taken out of the team. Solid again.
Smith - Has been at the top of his game for at least the last month and was MOTM again.
Chambers - An improved performance, but still not great. Was dropping deeper to pick the ball up from the defence, although he wasn't always used. Lucky not to get booked for a foul in second half.
Taundry - His best game for a while, but it is the exception rather than the rule. No complaints today though.
Halliday - Again didn't do anything to justify us signing him, but was still better than he was last week. No surprise to see him replaced though.
Nicholls - Played on the left and regularly swapped with Paterson to keep the Charlton defence on their toes. Didn't have his most successful game ever though.
Paterson - Could have scored in the first minute with a jinking run, but that was as good as it got for him. Always looked dangerous, but at the minute I think he's better on the wing.
Macken - Was playing well and scored a goal. Then he thought he should have won a free kick (he shouldn't have, the Charlton man took the ball), and lost focus and spent the rest of his time on the pitch moaning. Was replaced for Peterlin.

Subs

Gnakpa - Looks more confident giving his recent goalscoring exploits, but still flatters to deceive and isn't a natural hard worker.
Bowerman - Replaced Paterson and worked hard but didn't really get into the game that much.
Peterlin - Replaced Macken late on but didn't really have time to make an impact.

thickkearns
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:45 pm

Gnapka is awful .... he's dire but he thinks he's a great player in his own head !!!! thought we did well today near the end had a horrible feeling they would nick it ... but we held them out .

MOTM Smith and Sadler a close second, had a good game and was giving 100% effort

SWS1

Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:54 pm

Well happy with that point. :D Even more so with the relatively positive posts from the guys who were there. :D :D
Are we two decent signings away from being a decent mid-table team?? :?:
Ah, what ambition! I feel like the guy hanging on the wall in the gaol in Life of Brian...
"Mid table? Mid table? I'd give my right arm for mid-table. You lucky, lucky bar-stads in mid-table..."
:lol:

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:29 pm

Good and deserved point. Defence looked good, despite the usual hoof and mis-marking from Lancashire/Beevers, Smith was particularly impressive and deserved his MOTM. Chambers had his best game for a while and Taundry put himself around to some sort of effect. Nicholls is wasted on the wing and will lose his confidence unless he plays upfront, where he's shown he's probably the most capable striker we have of scoring goals. Thought Macken was much better than recently today, held the ball up and got the midfield involved when he could, scored a few already this season.

Although I love Butler, you can't moan at Smith for keeping to his principles 'if you play well you keep the shirt' etc. His game play and tactics were bang on today as well. Just before Paterson was removed he chased a ball down and I could see his legs were buckling under his body, he was knackered - we dont want him burnt out especially considering we have a cup game and christmas coming up.

Though we looked good on the counter. Forward line of Macken, Nicholls and Paterson isn't the worst in the division and pace is key at this level which is what that line (Macken aside) has.

4 unbeaten in all competitions, 4 unbeaten on the road. Bring on Chesterfield and a big following next week.

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:42 pm

Hardly seems fair , possibly are best result of the season sees us drop into the relegation zone .

Something to build on .

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:44 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:53 minutes - Gnakpa on for Halliday. Deano seems to be going for the attacking option :mrgreen:

Attendance 4,537

Over 1500 from Charlton then presumably?
Wonder how long we can hold out?

Only 1,065 Addicks according to their OS, which is not particularly good for a side in their position and regular crowds of 15,000+.

However, a good point for the Saddlers!

MILO5
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:05 pm

For me a really committed and positive performance.

A very even contest against the runaway leaders has to be a cause for optimism.

walker 8 ....a reassuring presence and great save in first 5 mins.

Beevers 7 .... I like him , he gets stuck in . Positionally at fault for goal?

saddler 8 ... Solid and v useful left peg whilst on the attack

Lancashire 7 switched off a couple of times but did pretty well against a lively attack

smith ...9 did he put a foot wrong? Really really good.

Nichols... 7 . So so . Always think he could do a bit more

Halliday ...6 ...still no match sharpness. Called for Gnapka just about when Smith did act .

Chambers 8.... First half in particular was here there and everywhere

Taundry .... 8 ... Don't care what others think, he did well today.

Macken ...7 much better than last 2 weeks but that's not hard. Was a real presence today and "put it in "

Patterson... 8 .. I like this lad ,real ability

Subs

Gnapka .. 6 ...like last week very unpredicatable and got more wrong than right , but at least he was heavily involved... Good stuff in the air

Bowerman ... 6 ... Again more presence than Grigg has shown in recent weeks.

Maybe some hope?

Very entertaining game, full moneys worth ...nice to say that !

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:06 pm

Duke wrote:Hardly seems fair , possibly are best result of the season sees us drop into the relegation zone .

Something to build on .

Sorry to be pedantic Duke, but we did start the game in the relegation zone!! During the game we were "above the line", thanks to Rochdale's abysmal performance putting them below us on goal difference. Then Yeovil ruined everything by geeting a very late winner against Notts County, which leap-frogged them over Rochdale and ourselves. :roll:

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:29 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
Duke wrote:Hardly seems fair , possibly are best result of the season sees us drop into the relegation zone .

Something to build on .

Sorry to be pedantic Duke, but we did start the game in the relegation zone!! During the game we were "above the line", thanks to Rochdale's abysmal performance putting them below us on goal difference. Then Yeovil ruined everything by geeting a very late winner against Notts County, which leap-frogged them over Rochdale and ourselves. :roll:

I stand corrected Welsh , all the same an encouraging result .

Dr David Kelly
UTS Regular

Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:40 pm

The remarkable unbeaten run goes on......

Can anyone stop us now?

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:51 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
Charlton piled on the pressure towards the end and Sadler's red card was deserved, although he can take some credit for taking one for the team - had he not made the challenge, they'd have been clean through on goal with none of our other defenders in sight. We got another small slice of luck at the death when a corner was directed against the post, but a Charlton win would have been very hard on us.

Radio WM said he was sent off for a second yellow, but from what you've said, Rob, it seems Sadler may have been given a straight red for preventing a certain goal-scoring opportunity. So did you see which card the Ref showed after the "offence"? I guess that would affect the length of his ban, so does anyone know if he's got a one-match or a three-match ban?

longdogs
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:58 pm

I think he showed a second yellow, then red. It was only just over the half way line, so a long way from being a clear goalscoring opportunity and a straight red.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:40 am

geoffwhiting wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

Radio WM said he was sent off for a second yellow, but from what you've said, Rob, it seems Sadler may have been given a straight red for preventing a certain goal-scoring opportunity. So did you see which card the Ref showed after the "offence"? I guess that would affect the length of his ban, so does anyone know if he's got a one-match or a three-match ban?

Sorry, yes it was a second booking - but as clear a booking as you'll ever see. Sadler should only miss Tuesday's game.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:43 am

thickkearns wrote:Gnapka is awful .... he's dire but he thinks he's a great player in his own head !!!!

Don't really understand that comment. For me, Gnakpa is improving game by game. He's still very raw and has to rely heavily on his physical strength but the run he made when he was put through by Macken was perfectly timed. As soon as he realises that the defensive side of things is just as important as what he tries to do going forward, he'll be back in the team.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:58 am

I have to say I personally think that Gnapka is absolutely awful. Not powerful enough on the ball for a man of his physique. Tries a trick every single time he gets the ball when something simple would actually be ample for the team. Doesn't really look a threat when it comes to wing play. He does the exact same trick to try and go round the full back every time and usually loses it - that and the fact he has that arrogant 'im too good for you' kind of look to his play means he generally frustrating most fans more than he pleases them. I prefeer Nicholls, Paterson or Hurst wide instead of him.

PreviousNext
Return to 2011-12 Season