Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Stevenage (A) League 1 Saturday 26/11/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Re: Stevenage (A) League 1 Saturday 26/11/11.

Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:06 pm

SWS1 wrote:"There was also a twunt with a drum".
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I love it! Will the Mods mod a non-word that everyone understands and says everything we want to say about something but is not in any dictionary (yet!)?
Love it.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I assume a "twunt" is a cross between a "twit" and a "runt". As such, this mod is happy to let it go. ;)

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:04 pm

Great point, but I predicted three, so a bit disappointed as my gut feeling turned out to be inaccurate.

I must say I'm amused that Stevenage fans are moaning about OUR tactics. My God, what I saw from them last season was just disgraceful, the ball seemed to be superfluous, and what's coming across on here about yesterday suggests nothing much has changed, and they are trying to kick, punch and everything else to repeat their "success" of last season. Hypocrites or what? :?

bangsection
Site Addict

Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:34 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:
I must say I'm amused that Stevenage fans are moaning about OUR tactics. My God, what I saw from them last season was just disgraceful

It's hilarious to be honest. Two incidents summed it up for me. In the first half Nicholls went down very heavily off the ball and appeared to indicate to the ref that one of their players had raked his studs down his Achilles - he was absolutely furious. Then in the second half their right back played himself into trouble in his own half and as he was about to be dispossessed he simply threw himself to the ground and conned the ref into giving him a free kick.

As PT says, if my team played the way Stevenage do I'd probably pack in following them and spend my days watching something less physical. Rugby League for instance.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:23 am

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:36 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
bangsection wrote:Positives:

We're not losing.

They sell chips.

Negatives:

Everything else.

It is 4-3-3 by the way.

One more positive, scumbag Leeds are losin at home to local mid table rivals Barnsley!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Please let Huddersfield get mullered at Charlton on Monday night, and my weekend would be complete, whatever our
result, sorry, whatever the score in our latest defeat.

Update..... at half-time (Monday) Charlton are 2-0 up against Huddersfield :D

bangsection
Site Addict

Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:41 pm

Rather a nice piece on the Guardian's football blog about Saturday's game. Complimentary about us while acknowledging the way Stevenage play the game:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/foot ... league-one

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:54 pm

Nice spotting, bangsection.

I see Stevenage is another example of a football club whose ground is owned by the local council.

bangsection
Site Addict

Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:20 pm

Exile wrote:Nice spotting, bangsection.

I see Stevenage is another example of a football club whose ground is owned by the local council.

Indeed. They currently pay just £25,000 a year to the council. The rent was due to go up one year after they were promoted to League Two and again after they were promoted to League One but the council recently confirmed that it will be held at the current rate for at least another year saving the club around £200,000.

Another example of a council with the quaint notion that a league football team should be treated as an asset and encouraged accordingly.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:21 pm

bangsection wrote:
Exile wrote:Nice spotting, bangsection.

Indeed. They currently pay just £25,000 a year to the council. The rent was due to go up one year after they were promoted to League Two and again after they were promoted to League One but the council recently confirmed that it will be held at the current rate for at least another year saving the club around £200,000.

Another example of a council with the quaint notion that a league football team should be treated as an asset and encouraged accordingly.

Nah! Stevenage is a 'new town' with modern thinking ideas, Walsall is an old fashioned dinasaur, with a council run by an idiot who would still have trolley buses if it were left to him, not a chance of 'council' involvement this century.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:57 pm

Stevenage is a slum inhabited by chavs with, as Bang Section pointed out in his fantastic match report (funniest report for years), no cultural heritage. What on earth possessed Wenger to let 2 of his kids go to play for them :shock: :shock: :shock: They will hardly learn the 'Arsenal way' in an environment of 'hoof, head, tug, kick, hoof....' (copyright Bangsection)

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:02 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:... a council run by an idiot who would still have trolley buses if it were left to him, not a chance of 'council' involvement this century.

Incorrect. Bird Brain has no time for public transport. It interests him not one jot.

Any way - what's wrong with trolley-buses? With the cost (not just financial) of diesel buses, many people wish that we still had trolley-buses.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:35 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:... a council run by an idiot who would still have trolley buses if it were left to him, not a chance of 'council' involvement this century.

Incorrect. Bird Brain has no time for public transport. It interests him not one jot.

Any way - what's wrong with trolley-buses? With the cost (not just financial) of diesel buses, many people wish that we still had trolley-buses.

Hear. hear Pedagogue - nothing wrong with trolley buses, nothing at all. Fond memories of their being totally silent in operation, certainly in comparison to the bone-shaker diesels that were their contemporaries. I would imagine it would be difficult to re-introduce trolley buses now as there are so many more obstacles like parked cars which could impede their progress. Remember the mossive great pole each bus had to carry so that the conductor (what's one of those?) could re-thread the arms to the wires? :mrgreen:

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:54 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:

Hear. hear Pedagogue - nothing wrong with trolley buses, nothing at all. Fond memories of their being totally silent in operation, certainly in comparison to the bone-shaker diesels that were their contemporaries. I would imagine it would be difficult to re-introduce trolley buses now as there are so many more obstacles like parked cars which could impede their progress. Remember the mossive great pole each bus had to carry so that the conductor (what's one of those?) could re-thread the arms to the wires? :mrgreen:

I agree too. Trolley buses were massively eco-friendly compared to the diesel buses of their era, and even compared to today's diesel buses. They were quicker, quieter and better to ride on than the diesels. The only down-side, of course, is that they can only go where the wires go, and putting that infrastructure back in place now would be absolutely out of the question financially. Shame really, 'cos it would be a definite forward step.

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:58 am

geoffwhiting wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:

I agree too. Trolley buses were massively eco-friendly compared to the diesel buses of their era, and even compared to today's diesel buses. They were quicker, quieter and better to ride on than the diesels. The only down-side, of course, is that they can only go where the wires go, and putting that infrastructure back in place now would be absolutely out of the question financially. Shame really, 'cos it would be a definite forward step.

They belong in the bin marked 'history'. You old people just don't like change. :wink:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:56 am

Exile wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:

They belong in the bin marked 'history'. You old people just don't like change. :wink:

You mean in the same way that certain large conurbations (Manchester being a leading example) have re-introduced trams :?:

As a humorous side-issue to Manchester's decision to do that....when they were digging up the roads to lay the new tram-rails, guess what they discovered buried under several inches of tarmac ------ yes, the old tram rails :roll:

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:00 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:As a humorous side-issue to...:

An humourous side issue, I think you mean? /pedagogue mode :wink:

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:04 am

Exile wrote:

Are you fishing for a "wooosssh!", Exile? :D . Welsh Saddler is, of course, correct.

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:29 am

Pedagogue wrote:
Exile wrote:

Are you fishing for a "wooosssh!", Exile? :D . Welsh Saddler is, of course, correct.

An heroic response...

Previous
Return to 2011-12 Season