Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Exeter City (H) F A Cup 1st Round Replay Wednesday 23/11/11,

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Re: Exeter City (H) F A Cup 1st Round Replay Wednesday 23/11

Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:01 pm

15 minutes to go....... get it to the corner flag boys :wink: Play for time - there's a plum tie away at Dagenham & Redbridge awaiting (they beat Bath 1-3)

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:03 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:15 minutes to go....... get it to the corner flag boys :wink: Play for time - there's a plum tie away at Dagenham & Redbridge awaiting (they beat Bath 1-3)

They'll be banging on the gates for tickets for THAT enthraling encounter, but there's still time for Exeter, to get the 'tie of the round'

canadiansaddler
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:09 pm

According to the beeb we've had 19 attempts on goal , when was the last time that happened

bangsection
Site Addict

Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:13 pm

Another result that papers over the cracks of the despised Bonserist/Smithite regimezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... :D

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:13 pm

Announcement..................................................

WALSALL F. C. HAVE WON A FOOTBALL MATCH!!!

longdogs
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:14 pm

phew!

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:14 pm

canadiansaddler wrote:According to the beeb we've had 19 attempts on goal , when was the last time that happened

We do seem to have adopted a "shoot on sight" policy tonight, don't we? According to the Beeb, the stats are:

Shots ON target...... Walsall 5 Exeter City 5
Shots OFF target...... Walsall 14 Exeter City 4

Perhaps a little accuracy (in shooting) needed :wink:
Last edited by Welsh_Saddler on Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:15 pm

King Crimson wrote:
King Crimson wrote:Yey! Best team in the world! :D

canadiansaddler
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:16 pm

bangsection wrote:Another result that papers over the cracks of the despised Bonserist/Smithite regimezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... :D

Where is the occupy Bescot Crescent movement :)

So on to D & R we go - the magic of the cup

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:18 pm

So this is how it feels to win! What were they so afraid of! It feels good!
Dizzy heights of round two here we come!

BEIRLYND

Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:21 pm

Playing today prevented us attending. Really pleased we have won at last. We can now make the third round draw. Congrates to Bowerman (get him signed up). WM a disgrace. Not even announced the result

bangsection
Site Addict

Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:22 pm

canadiansaddler wrote:
bangsection wrote:Another result that papers over the cracks of the despised Bonserist/Smithite regimezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... :D

Don't know about Bescot Crescent but I'll be occupying Broadhall Way on Saturday. Here's to enjoying supporting your local football club!

SWS1

Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:31 pm

Boo Hoo! Wanted BATH to win for a shorter trip (from Swansea) :cry:
But chuffed with a WIN at last! :D

canadiansaddler
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:35 pm

bangsection wrote:
canadiansaddler wrote:

Don't know about Bescot Crescent but I'll be occupying Broadhall Way on Saturday. Here's to enjoying supporting your local football club!

well said that man

m&m
Glitterati

Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:37 pm

Can this be classed as a cup run?

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:37 pm

A personal problem kept me away tonight, only just got home. Delighted with the results and enjoyed following the match through Nick Mashiters tweets, which were arguably more entertaining than the game.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:57 pm

priestley_saddler wrote:A personal problem kept me away tonight.

I'm sure a course of antibiotics and topical cream can help with that. :wink:

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:23 pm

For the best part of an hour that game was turgid dross. We couldn't string two passes together and looked clueless. We scrambled an equaliser and then the game seemed to burst into life. We suddenly started to pass to each other and took the game to Exeter, Nicholls took his goal well and it seemed like there would only be one winner.

Typical Walsall, looked like we were throwing it away conceding an equaliser but up popped Bowerman taking his goal very well in extra time, from then on in we controlled things well and but for a great save by the Exeter keeper we could have extended the lead further. From being dire in the first half we taunted Exeter by playing keep ball.

Games like this sum up everything that is good and bad about supporting the Saddlers. When we are bad we are dire and immensely frustrating, however occasionally we show just what we are capable of.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:28 pm

priestley_saddler wrote:A personal problem kept me away tonight, only just got home. Delighted with the results and enjoyed following the match through Nick Mashiters tweets, which were arguably more entertaining than the game.

Dont worry, everyone has aids.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:30 pm

Love it! Daggers away next, definitely going - can't wait!

UTS!

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:32 pm

The flow of the scoreline was exciting even if the football played wasn't. We were worthy winners. I think that there were only 7 on-target shots in the whole of the match but 5 of them produced goals! Very disappointing (but not surprising, given last Saturday's shambles) attendance of only 2,089.

Walker - had little to do apart from one good save and picking the ball out of the net twice.

Beevers - very competent display, supporting the attack on a few occasions
Butler - not his usual dominant self but made no major errors
Lancashire - generally competent, made a few mistakes but nothing serious
Sadler - back to his best following his torrid time, last Saturday

Taundry - usual honest graft but not a lot of quality
Chambers - big improvement on last Saturday (not too difficult!), made some vital tackles but still flits in and out of the game
Wilson - definitely our best midfield player, always in the thick of things, hope his groin strain is not too serious
Nicholls - sponsors' MotM (mine too), worked his socks off and scored a cracking goal

Macken - snatched a vital close-range goal which lifted the team, but was generally poor
Grigg - did little but he and Macken both suffer from poor support and service at times

Bowerman (for Grigg) - took the winning goal with a superb, coolly-struck shot
Jarvis (for Macken) - strange substitution , rather than Paterson (at that time), worked hard but achieved little
Peterlin (for Wilson) - came on to shore up the midfield when Wilson limped off

This long-overdue win comes at just the right time in view of the next two matches. With one new loan signing on board, Deano only has this Thursday to sign any more.

Onwards and upwards!

Sadders
UTS Legend

Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:02 am

So this is what it feels like to win? Sounds like Nicholls was impressive again, is this his best form in a WFC shirt? The one thing about people slating Macken. Before his groin injury he was one of our most important players, at the beginning of the season he was one of the best and most important and he is right now. He's obviously not fully fit yet or having a patch of bad form. He's still more than good enough for all sides bar the top 6 or so in this league.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:36 am

Hooray and halleujah! Due to being in London all day and then, on my return, straight out to a neighbour's birthday meal tonight, I had no access to a radio or any reports, and no chance to turn on my laptop until I got home about 1.15am - and found that WE WON! Thank God for that, at last, but even though it's a pleasant change to get beyond Round 1 of a cup competition, I'd still trade it for three league points.

Glad to see Jimmy was back in goal, Bowerman scoring again should be great for his confidence, and hopefully games are helping Macken back to that proper level of match fitness that can see him resuming an influential role up front. When fit and on form, he is surely our best option for keeping the ball up the pitch and keeping the pressure on the opposition defence.

Haven't had much time to read the reports of how we played, but for now a win is a win, and that has to be a step in the right direction after recent disappointments.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:28 am

guess that weird feeling about us winning was right after all :) was dull in patches and exciting in others, we do seem to come into games very late on and make a spectacle of it.

atmosphere for a a crowd of just over 2,000 was pretty good.

also i managed to finally meet a UTS'er that i have heard alot about, before tonights game.... was nice to meet you tinned :)

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:27 am

:mrgreen: If it was nice to meet him it couldn't have been tinned! :!:

Louise
UTS Legend

Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:24 am

I really unexpectedly enjoyed the Match - even when it went to extra time. The atmosphere for 2000 attendance was better than at some Matches with double the crowd and fair play to the 200+ Exeter Fans who braved the Journey.
We did what we had to do and Nicholls had a good game but we are still devoid of real ideas and see nothing but a struggle in the League.
At least we won and that breeds confidence - and special thanks to Tinned for keeping me entertained throughout the Match with his Commentary. :lol:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:55 am

I really rate Bowerman, he took his goal superbly and he's the kind of striker we're lacking - he plays on the shoulder on the last man and he's got a turn of pace, something neither Macken, Grigg or Jarvis have. On the subject of Jarvis, we might as well get rid now, I'd say he's slipped below even Bowerman in the pecking list.

Nicholls had a good game last night, but he's still not a striker for me, he needs to play more like Bowerman did last night, constantly on the shoulder and looking to get in behind.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:59 am

On Macken

Sadders wrote:He's still more than good enough for all sides bar the top 6 or so in this league.

I wouldn't say so, I think he's lost a yard of pace since his injury and personally I think he's past it now. He was good for us last season, but now it's like watching a geriatric playing football.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:09 am

Exile wrote:
priestley_saddler wrote:A personal problem kept me away tonight.

I'm sure a course of antibiotics and topical cream can help with that. :wink:

I may have an ointment. :wink:

WE WON!!!!!! :D

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:00 am

philthesaddler wrote:On Macken

Sadders wrote:He's still more than good enough for all sides bar the top 6 or so in this league.

I wouldn't say so, I think he's lost a yard of pace since his injury and personally I think he's past it now. He was good for us last season, but now it's like watching a geriatric playing football.

A bit unfair on Macken there IMHO, Phil. Games and match fitness needed, maybe? He hasn't had time for that yet. Recovery is bound to take a little longer than when he was younger. Possibly we don't have that time to wait for him, that's a whole different argument, but "geriatric" is a bit harsh in the circumstances for a player who is clearly quality at this level and could be again, given time to return to full fitness. So I'm with Sadders on this.

PreviousNext
Return to 2011-12 Season