Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Exeter City (H) F A Cup 1st Round Replay Wednesday 23/11/11,

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
derbysaddler
Site Addict

Re: Exeter City (H) F A Cup 1st Round Replay Wednesday 23/11

Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:05 am

SWEET VICTORY!

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:14 am

Exile wrote::mrgreen: If it was nice to meet him it couldn't have been tinned! :!:

he did look alot older than i expected .....just kidding :)

Duke
Site Addict

Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:38 am

Dagenham it is then a week on Saturday .

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:23 pm

Macken didn't play very well but is a quality player, scored a goal and had the vison and calmnes to lay one of for Nicholls, he has some quality and whilst he has no pace and isn't playing as well as last season he is still a massive player for us.

Really like Bowerman, got a lovley touch and knows where the goal is

Beavers - rubbish, positional sence is non existant and doesn't have the touch of a half decent park player let alone a pro

bangsection
Site Addict

Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:29 pm

philthesaddler wrote:I really rate Bowerman, he took his goal superbly and he's the kind of striker we're lacking - he plays on the shoulder on the last man and he's got a turn of pace.

I agree. He is also, according to a few 'insiders' I've spoken to, "the best finisher at the club". As we haven't had a natural goalscorer since Fryatt that's pretty encouraging. Sign him up!

Graydon48
Glitterati

Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:47 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:Hooray and halleujah! Due to being in London all day and then, on my return, straight out to a neighbour's birthday meal tonight, I had no access to a radio or any reports, and no chance to turn on my laptop until I got home about 1.15am - and found that WE WON! Thank God for that, at last, but even though it's a pleasant change to get beyond Round 1 of a cup competition, I'd still trade it for three league points.

Glad to see Jimmy was back in goal, Bowerman scoring again should be great for his confidence, and hopefully games are helping Macken back to that proper level of match fitness that can see him resuming an influential role up front. When fit and on form, he is surely our best option for keeping the ball up the pitch and keeping the pressure on the opposition defence.

Haven't had much time to read the reports of how we played, but for now a win is a win, and that has to be a step in the right direction after recent disappointments.

Think that makes you a double stayaway Geoff. First you don't go to games and now your to busy to listen to any match reports/updates on th radio :D

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:48 pm

bangsection wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:I really rate Bowerman, he took his goal superbly and he's the kind of striker we're lacking - he plays on the shoulder on the last man and he's got a turn of pace.

I agree. He is also, according to a few 'insiders' I've spoken to, "the best finisher at the club". As we haven't had a natural goalscorer since Fryatt that's pretty encouraging. Sign him up!

i watched him las season in the reserves cup against Scunthorpe and he made murphy look like a mug in goal, once with a quality headed finish and secondly with a contender for goal of the season if it was in the first team, when he cheekily cantona esq lobbed the ball over murphy from an angle.

for a slight lad he does use his body well and work angles very well, which shows his footballing brain is working.

LancsSaddler
UTS Regular

Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:51 pm

A bit of a dire game but a win is a win!

Walker - Nothing much to do

Beevers - half the time the opposition attack there seems to be a huge gap on the right of our defence with beevers half way up the pitch and no one covering. If he is going to push up then we need to make sure the midfield knows it! he was a bit dire first half but who wasnt, much better as the game wore on.
Sadler - ususal dependable self, although takes forever to take a throw in!
Butler - ususal self
Lancashire - the problem with lanashire is that he is a CB who can not win a contested header. I dont think he won more than 2 last night. ~Their striker may have been ok in the air but some of the one he lost were at least 60/40 in his favour. People moan at manny for his lack of distribution, Lancashires was dire last night. I want a defender to defend. Smith all day for me despite his limitations.

Nicholls - our most creative player by a country mile (and it takes a lot for me to say that bout him). The periods when we were on top in the game were when we gave the ball to him and he ran at their defence. When we stopped doing this they looked very comfortable.
Taundry - usual self -so in otherwords awful. summed up by the free kick in the second half where he took 20 seconds to spot nicholls wide open on the left and then scuffed his pass straight to their man. Oh, but hes a local lad and tries hard... ha!
Wilson - looked a bit off the pace at the start but came into the game more. Needs to look for the ball more though aka Peterlin
Chambers - broke up play well and a few surging runs. needs a more creative player along side him though.

Grigg - once again suffered from a lack of decent service. Pass it to his feet and he will link up play very well, lump it onto the huge centre backs head and grigg will do nothing!
Macken - didnt look match fit, get his fitness back and he will be back to his best. We need to try get the ball to his feet, in or at least near the box, then he will be more effective. We have two good strikers who need the ball to feet and players pushing up to support from midfield. (Peterlin?)

Subs:
Bowerman - brilliant finish and looked sharp, powerful and confident. Will be interesting how he would do if he started rather than coming on against tired legs.
Jarvis - actually won a couple of headers which is an improvement on previous appearances. seemed to play more of an attacking mid role towards the end so didnt really cause any problems. (if he would have anyway...)
Peterlin - No suprise that when he came on we looked less flat. Links up play well and like no other midfielder we have actually wants to go and get the ball. Even if Smith wants to be solid in CM he should definately start on the right ahead of Taundry and be given licence to come inside and link play. Should start CM with wilson or chambers really though with two wingers. lets play some football, they have shown they can do it when Smith picks the right team!

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:25 pm

I don't think Bowerman has been given enough credit for just how much he contributed when he came on. As soon as he came on, he played on the last defender's shoulder, came short to link up with the midfield and never once stood still. It completely refreshed the way we were able to play and was the sole reason we won. His hold up play and the clever lay-off to Nicholls for the second goal was superb, as was the way he rounded the 'keeper and finished from a tight angle for the winner. I didn't question Smith's decision to leave him on the bench at the start, but I'll question him if Bowerman doesn't start on Saturday. I really do think we have a talent on our hands here.

Make no mistake though, before the introduction of Bowerman, we were really, really poor. Nicholls was our only shining light - the only one who tried to attack in their half. He added end product to his game last night too, as the vast majority of his crosses flashed across the box or won us a corner.

Whilst I thought the Chambers - Wilson combination in midfield would be thw answer to some of our problems, Chambers now looks a weak link. He remains a better option than Taundry, but I have my doubts as to whether he offers too much more than Peterlin.

Beevers and Sadler were both absolutely fine generally, but there were one or two moments when Beevers drifted towards the centre half position, leaving their wide player free to get a cross in.

And now we move onto Richard Taundry. With him in the side, it's the equivalent to playing with ten. Let's forget all the nice lad, local lad, gives 100% stuff and judge him on his performances. He's one of the few players I've ever seen who rather than just not contributing much, contribute negatively and make the team worse. He started off on the right wing which wasn't working. He then moved over to the left, which not only nulified the joy Nicholls was having down that flank, but also meant that he kept drifing inside and just letting their right back trot forward as and when he wanted to. Smith's persistence with Taundry is nothing short of complete stupidity for me - how he can't see how out of his depth he is is beyond me.

So, we're in the hat for the next round. Let's just hope these new signings give the squad the lift it needs before we go to Dagenham in ten days' time.

tinned
Site Addict

Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:26 pm

According to Walsall FC Official of Facebook it was a pulsating game :shock: The majority of it was sleep inducing.

tinned
Site Addict

Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:28 pm

brummie saddler wrote:guess that weird feeling about us winning was right after all :) was dull in patches and exciting in others, we do seem to come into games very late on and make a spectacle of it.

atmosphere for a a crowd of just over 2,000 was pretty good.

also i managed to finally meet a UTS'er that i have heard alot about, before tonights game.... was nice to meet you tinned :)

Who's been talking? It's all lies (well a lot of it anyway :wink: ). Good to meet you fella.

Exile wrote: If it was nice to meet him it couldn't have been tinned!

It was only for the briefest period Exy :lol:

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:48 pm

brummie saddler wrote:For a slight lad he does use his body well ...

Bowerman ... slight!?!

I think you need an appointment with Specsavers, brummie! :D ... but, then again, you are a referee, so that probably explains it! :lol: :lol:

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:26 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
brummie saddler wrote:For a slight lad he does use his body well ...

Bowerman ... slight!?!

I think you need an appointment with Specsavers, brummie! :D ... but, then again, you are a referee, so that probably explains it! :lol: :lol:

i dont think he is bulky or filled out, compared to paterson hes a heavywieght but then again so is a new born babey.

SWS1

Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:04 pm

m&m wrote:Can this be classed as a cup run?

Confucius he say "Journey of 1000 miles start with first step" i.e we are about 1000 miles off a cup run (but we have made one step!)
How about a "Confucius" thread?
For example;
Confucius he say "Walsall win like Santa Clause: only happen once a year".
Confucius he say "If Walsall win anything while Jeef still in charge, will be a miracle".
:wink:

Deano_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:00 pm

Admittedly i haven't been for a while, not because i don't want to but purely because i work a lot of Saturdays now. Managed to get the night of Wednesday and decided to go. The biggest surprise of the night for me ( not that there were many ) was Alex Nicholls, i thought he was absolutely brilliant! Every time he got the ball i thought something was going to happen. He ran and ran and ran all night and delivered great crosses which was a nice surprise for me. He he can continue this type of form then he could be a big player for us.
The 1st half was pretty boring, very scrappy. The 2nd half was a lot better from both sides. I thought Nicholls,Taundry % Chambers were all good in the 2nd half. Also think Bowerman could become a really good striker.

brackley
UTS Veteran

Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:57 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:I don't think Bowerman has been given enough credit for just how much he contributed when he came on. As soon as he came on, he played on the last defender's shoulder, came short to link up with the midfield and never once stood still. It completely refreshed the way we were able to play and was the sole reason we won. His hold up play and the clever lay-off to Nicholls for the second goal was superb, as was the way he rounded the 'keeper and finished from a tight angle for the winner. I didn't question Smith's decision to leave him on the bench at the start, but I'll question him if Bowerman doesn't start on Saturday. I really do think we have a talent on our hands here.

Make no mistake though, before the introduction of Bowerman, we were really, really poor. Nicholls was our only shining light - the only one who tried to attack in their half. He added end product to his game last night too, as the vast majority of his crosses flashed across the box or won us a corner.

Whilst I thought the Chambers - Wilson combination in midfield would be thw answer to some of our problems, Chambers now looks a weak link. He remains a better option than Taundry, but I have my doubts as to whether he offers too much more than Peterlin.

Beevers and Sadler were both absolutely fine generally, but there were one or two moments when Beevers drifted towards the centre half position, leaving their wide player free to get a cross in.

And now we move onto Richard Taundry. With him in the side, it's the equivalent to playing with ten. Let's forget all the nice lad, local lad, gives 100% stuff and judge him on his performances. He's one of the few players I've ever seen who rather than just not contributing much, contribute negatively and make the team worse. He started off on the right wing which wasn't working. He then moved over to the left, which not only nulified the joy Nicholls was having down that flank, but also meant that he kept drifing inside and just letting their right back trot forward as and when he wanted to. Smith's persistence with Taundry is nothing short of complete stupidity for me - how he can't see how out of his depth he is is beyond me.

So, we're in the hat for the next round. Let's just hope these new signings give the squad the lift it needs before we go to Dagenham in ten days' time.

Agreed mate...........Taundry needs to go in the close season - hes a Div 2 player at best

brackley
UTS Veteran

Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:01 pm

Looking at the posts above, it looks like a few agree with me that Gnakpa, Lancashire and Taundry are weak links and need to go and ply their trade somehwere else - not good enough.....

I also added Macken to this list that seemed to receive mixed feelings - for me he aint mobile and no pace..........certainly can stick the ball away when gifted an opportunity, but we need someone who can create opportunities for himself and stick 20+ goals away a season..........if Macken creeps into double figures it will be a miracle!

SWS1

Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:26 pm

Now, what does Confucius (from The Pleck) say?????
:mrgreen:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:00 am

SWS1 wrote:Now, what does Confucius (from The Pleck) say?????

"Man with hole in pocket feel cocky all day" :D

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:11 pm

'Leave the 'e' off Clause'

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:15 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:

"Man with hole in pocket feel cocky all day" :D

Man who get bounced off girlfriend going to Exeter too soon. :mrgreen:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:00 pm

"Man who eats meat and peas on same plate most unhygienic"

I can feel a whole new thread starting on Confucious :mrgreen:

Previous
Return to 2011-12 Season