Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Reserves v. Hednesford Town 1/11/11

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Reserves v. Hednesford Town 1/11/11

Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:18 am

Birmingham Senior Cup

Hednesford Town 6-5 Walsall Reserves (a.e.t.)
(Score at full-time = 4-4)

Over the not-too-distant past, I have witnessed some poor goalkeeper displays from Walsall custodians - McKnightmare, McKinney, Petterson, Brain - but tonight's performance from youth team 'keeper, Liam Maher was right down there with the worst of them. To say that he was dreadful would be an understatement. I felt very sorry for the lad, it was that embarrassing. Why didn't Walker play? After all, he hasn't got a game on Saturday!

Hednesford took the lead, George Bowerman equalised, Hednesford regained the lead which is how it stood at half-time. Having been clearly second best for the first period, the Saddlers dominated the opening of the second half, having presumably received some gentle words of encouragement from Chris Nicholl at half-time! Two classy goals from Will Grigg put Walsall ahead before Mitchell Botfield seemingly put the tie safe. Bowerman and Grigg were subbed off and then Hednesford battled back and scored two to level, aided by by poor goalkeeping and defending.

In extra time, Aaron Williams grabbed Walsall's 5th to regain the lead but Hednesford equalised in the last minute of extra time. Not content with that, the Pitmen snatched the winner with the last kick of the game in the 3rd minute of stoppage time!

Of the 1st team squad members, Lancashire did nothing to advance his claims for a first-team spot but playing in front of Maher cannot have helped. Westlake went off, injured, in extra time. As for Jarvis - well if he is worth a contract, then so is Bowerman. Grigg did not shine but atoned for that with two stylishly taken goals.

Exile
Jobsworth

Re: Reserves v. Hednesford Town 1/11/11

Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:25 am

Liam 'Mare perhaps? :D

StudentSaddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:55 pm

We were awful, and Lancashire was often out paced, Westlake was often beaten, and neither Grigg or Jarvis excelled. Jones, Bowerman and Butlin showed some promise. Would hate to be Maher at the moment, he was really looking forward tot he game. Bowerman said they're all gutted about the result and Jones said it was hard as the reserves don't get a chance to play together regularly as they're always changing.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:24 pm

Interesting to read how the so-called first teamers fared against the mighty Hednesford. I hope Dean Smith takes note of the likes of Lancashire and Westlake struggling in games such as these, rather than throwing them back into the first team. Westlake had been struggling big time for weeks prior to dropping out of the side.

Return to 2011-12 Season