Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Milton Keynes Dons (H) League 1 Saturday 29/10/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
brackley
UTS Veteran

Re: Milton Keynes Dons (H) League 1 Saturday 29/10/11.

Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:11 am

Bernie wrote:I think these two screen shots make it clear that Walker, and therefore his contact with the ball, was outside the area when he caught the ball.

If Walker had not caught the ball it would have been a clear chance for the forward, so definitely a straight red card.

....having replayed this same clip back and forth whilst his feet were a yard outside the box, he collected the ball probably a foot outside the box in the end by the time he tried to adjust his position.

As i said before, Wacka has ended up tieing himself up in knots by being in 2 minds, his position alone tells you his first thought was to clear the ball in to row z, hes then questioned himself by realising the ball would actually carry but by which time he was already committed and outside the blinkin area...... first rule of goalkeeping is clear your lines and when youve made your decsion stick with it and follow it through - for Wacka's years of experience an elementary mistake....

To bring some balance to my comment of last night before having the opportunity to review it on the box; You can see from the television/referee angle why he gave a straight red........... again, youve seen them given and not given.

If asked would I have sent him off putting aside any biases; my honest answer would have still been no.... and why? well, for me he collected the ball a foot outside the area a clear infringement, the ball would have trravelled comfortably into the area had he stayed at home and he would have been in control of the ball; he is part of the defensive unit and would have clearly got to the ball before their guy not to mention our 2 defenders converging on him from either side. ........ this incident certainly falls within the 50/50 camp of is it a straight red, the referee cant be blamed for giving it as much as i still dont think it was anything more than a yellow and a direct free kick.

Casual D
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:51 am

BarryWindham wrote:tbh 2-0 was harsh on us gnapka should have scored off a header and was unlucky to hit both posts
without walker being sent off would have been 0-0 but the 10 men played well i did not notice smith in the dugout either.

According to WM he was sent off (from the dugout) at half time......

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:55 pm

[quote="brackley"]Thing is.............ive been to most of the games home and away this season and I can not think of one side, which made me think theyve given us a good hiding. We may have lost games - but when you disect it and you put all these sides alongside eachother they are all much of a muchness.....

Looking at the results, did you see Exters 4-4 at Sheff Utd!!

No side is a push-over............ one of the worst sides ive seen were colchester and look at their flamin result today.

One things for sure, our run of bad luck must change and I genuinely believe that. There are signs there that are positive, but the attacking options must be sorted and for me Paterson, Nicholls and Gnakpa could work.......

We have to start winnning games and FAST!!!![/quote]

Great problem is that this won't happen on Saturday will it!
We are genuine relegation fodder, an easy three points for any team in our Division, no matter how 'good' we play. or how decent a 'performance' we create, we still keep losin! No miracle escape this year, cus I'm very much afraid that Deano will be out of a job well before any attempt to avoid automatic relegation. As I've mentioned above, even our puppet Board will not put up this this constant embarrassment for very much longer, our record so far is appalling, we can't score, and we can't win, it is with a very leaden heart that these things have to be said, but as in sheff's words these are the 'FACTS' :(

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:25 pm

Having watched and replayed the match highlights, it is clear that Walker handled the ball outside the area and he can't really complain if the referee considers that he denied an obvious goalscoring opportunity. Furthermore, the second goal was onside.

Pedro
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:14 pm

The ginger tosser also moved the ball for the free kick to give him self a better angle on the shot as well.

Was a deffo red card and Wilson played them on-side for the 2nd.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:19 pm

For all the talk of red cards, offsides and the absence of a goalkeeper on the bench, two of Dean Smith's decisions yesterday make me question just what goes through his mind over the course of a match.

1. Why oh why did we find ourselves with Richard Taundry on the left of midfield prior to the sending off? He was bad enough in the middle, let alone on either flank.
2. After the red card, why take Macken, the only forward in our squad capable of holding the ball up front, off?

Gnakpa and Paterson both proved themselves yesterday afternoon, but in the time that elapsed between Smith naming his team and half time, you'd think he was doing all he could to get himself the sack.

brackley
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:49 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:For all the talk of red cards, offsides and the absence of a goalkeeper on the bench, two of Dean Smith's decisions yesterday make me question just what goes through his mind over the course of a match.

1. Why oh why did we find ourselves with Richard Taundry on the left of midfield prior to the sending off? He was bad enough in the middle, let alone on either flank.
2. After the red card, why take Macken, the only forward in our squad capable of holding the ball up front, off?

Gnakpa and Paterson both proved themselves yesterday afternoon, but in the time that elapsed between Smith naming his team and half time, you'd think he was doing all he could to get himself the sack.

Agree on the Taundry comment; he may be one of our own....... but ive seen enough of him now to know that he simply aint good enough at this level........ he is an average Div 2 player at best, I would release him personally

I honestly dont think Macken suits our style of play at the moment...... a target man he is but he is about as mobile and pacey as my old fella whose 78 :lol: .......... i might be doing him a slight dis-service, but for me he is someone we have on the bench and bring him on with 20 to go to kick lumps out of their back for after nicholls, Gnakpa and Paterson have run'em into the ground!

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:51 pm

brackley wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:For all the talk of red cards, offsides and the absence of a goalkeeper on the bench, two of Dean Smith's decisions yesterday make me question just what goes through his mind over the course of a match.

Agree on the Taundry comment; he may be one of our own....... but ive seen enough of him now to know that he simply aint good enough at this level........ he is an average Div 2 player at best, I would release him personally

I honestly dont think Macken suits our style of play at the moment...... a target man he is but he is about as mobile and pacey as my old fella whose 78 :lol: .......... i might be doing him a slight dis-service, but for me he is someone we have on the bench and bring him on with 20 to go to kick lumps out of their back for after nicholls, Gnakpa and Paterson have run'em into the ground!

I don't necessarily think Macken has hit the ground running since recovering from his injury, but he's the only player we have in our squad who knows how to play up front on his own.

Take your point on Paterson and Gnakpa, but the fact that we didn't score yesterday afternoon suggests there was still something missing.

brackley
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:59 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
brackley wrote:

I don't necessarily think Macken has hit the ground running since recovering from his injury, but he's the only player we have in our squad who knows how to play up front on his own.

Take your point on Paterson and Gnakpa, but the fact that we didn't score yesterday afternoon suggests there was still something missing.

If we had a really fit Macken with a yard of pace........ I think he would be a revalation at the bezza - to be fair to him, he looked as if he had shifted some timber when he was on the pitch.......... of course it could be just an illusion and the club have bought him some tailor-made shorts with a bit of extra give in'em :lol:

Rob Harvey
Glitterati

Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:34 am

Just to clarify, Dean Smith was sent off at HT

adjisaddler
Glitterati

Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:26 am

At the time i wasnt sure if Walker meant it but now i have seen the replays i think he was stupid and indeed cost us the game, it was one of my rare visits to the Bank's and was more entertaining than the Exeter game , i thought Wilson looked good on his debut .I also thought Butler and Gnakpa played pretty well to.Plus i agree thats Smith shouldn't of been MOM

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:11 pm

It would have been interesting to have seen what the result was after 90 mins of 11 v 11. Prior to the sending off I can't remember us retaining any possession and just lumping balls forward at every opportunity.

What confused me about Taundry was how Smith seemed to have shoe horned him into the team. I thought Hurst had an effective game on Tuesday on the right and became anonymous when switched to the left when Gnapka came on. Come Saturday we have shifted him back onto the left, so our new midfielder can play and we can put Taundry on the right??? Why couldn't we persist with Paterson again on the left?

In fairness to Taundry I thought he looked better at right back when he moved there, he has more pace than Beevers and more strength than Westlake.

I thought the same about Macken at the time, but will concede now it was probably a better move as I don't think he has looked at the races recently.

What concerns me is this constant pack shuffling, to me it is clear that Smith doesn't know what his best side is! I thought Wilson looked a useful addition and came into the game more in the 2nd half as he settled in. However, is he any different to Chambers though? If we partner them together is it any different to having Chambers & Taundry? Or are we looking for Chambers to do more attacking as he doesn't appear that type of player. Credit to Peterlin, I thought he put a good shift in again, and it would be unfair to drop him.

To me it just seems that we are now into November and I for one have more unanswered questions about the team than when the Season started, and I guess would have liked to seen a more settled side moving into the 2nd third of the season.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:32 pm

ToeJoe Jnr wrote:What confused me about Taundry was how Smith seemed to have shoe horned him into the team. I thought Hurst had an effective game on Tuesday on the right and became anonymous when switched to the left when Gnapka came on. Come Saturday we have shifted him back onto the left, so our new midfielder can play and we can put Taundry on the right??? Why couldn't we persist with Paterson again on the left?

You've hit the nail on the head. Why oh why does Smith see Taundry as being indispensable? The fact that two proper wingers had to sit on the bench watching Taundry look completely lost at sea was just an embarrassment.

Previous
Return to 2011-12 Season