Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Exeter City (H) League 1 Tuesday 25/10/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Re: Exeter City (H) League 1 Tuesday 25/10/11.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:03 pm

Only one statistic counts at the end....Walsall 1 Exeter 2!

Hitting the post twice, so and so should have scored, missed header....it counts for nothing in the end.

That was a disastrous result, and something has to give for me, players and/or manager. One win in 10 isn't just relegation form, it is stone cold last, bottom of the league, wooden spoon form, and worryingly it just doesn't seem like changing.

Overheard Someone mention we are looking at bringing Deeney back on loan, and looking at another player from Swansea, anyone else heard anything?

brackley
UTS Veteran

Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:30 pm

swiftyboy wrote:
brackley wrote:ok......... lets put this in perspective. On another night we would have won tonights game withoutany question - so we lack some quality, but the fellas out on the pitch no matter what we may think are giving 110%....... and trying to win.

Reality; Reality is........ that we will just avoid relegation this season, hopefully with a little more to spare than last season. We have not had the rub of the green in the last 2 matches and as we can all see we are one or two loan signings away from picking up some results.

I for one think we will beat MK Dons on Saturday!!....... with Chambers back we have enough in the tank to turn 'em over.

Whilst im in the mood to be controversial.............is Bonser actually doing any differently to any other businessman? I have to be honest whilst i know the bare bones and pick stuff up from the opinions/ commentary on UTS I dont know how on the money these views are...???

I get the lack of investment and the frustrations surrounding short term-vision versus the need for longer term strategy to support club success for the future...... get all that and believe me im with you all on that score - no question!

Bonser has had his day and he is planning for his retirement in my view no differently from anyone else - the only difference is that its at our clubs expense we believe. The problem is there is no spare cash with dwindling attendances, you dont need to be an Accountant to work that one out!

Bonser is succession planning behind the scenes anyhow and will be positioning the club for a sale at some point have no doubt and we can but hope that we have someone that has some vision and where-with-all to move WFC forward.

Out of sheer interest I am going to undertake to pull off the Accounts for WFC and analyse them in depth and give a fair and totally impartial view and will then share with all for those that may be interested - I for one am, as any personal view on Bonser I have at present is not based on fact but hearsay........... equally, im not suspecting that i will find anything wildly different from the views shared by many on UTS.

...... and as you may have gathered and no differently to when I was a player myself - when we lose I have the raving hump for days ......... it is now 1.27 am on Wednesday morning and im about to turn in to relive the nightmare of the last 90 minutes over n over. :evil:

How can you say it's based on hearsay? Anyone with half a brain knows ********************, and he will be exposed for what he us eventually. Then his self imposed "saviour" tag, can be well and truly ripped away from the man.

MODDED - choose your words more carefully

All im saying, for me personally its hearsay until I personally see some facts to draw a personal conclusion either way. Im sure you are right - call it a personal voyage of discovery on my part! ........ certainly not saying im a Bonser supporter, but I equally remember the dark days that followed the Ramsden circus who was proclaimed our 'saviour' once himself.......prior to Bonser there were a couple of occassions where we were on the brink of bankruptcy!!

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:53 pm

ToeJoe Jnr wrote:Only one statistic counts at the end....Walsall 1 Exeter 2!

Hitting the post twice, so and so should have scored, missed header....it counts for nothing in the end.

That was a disastrous result, and something has to give for me, players and/or manager. One win in 10 isn't just relegation form, it is stone cold last, bottom of the league, wooden spoon form, and worryingly it just doesn't seem like changing.

Overheard Someone mention we are looking at bringing Deeney back on loan, and looking at another player from Swansea, anyone else heard anything?

Interesting, Though I doubt Deeney would agree to come back on loan (be a bit of a pitiful comedown for him).
However, a one legged dwarf with arthristis would be a better option up front to what we have at present.
I have said many times before what we need up front is a 'proven' goalscorer, nearly every team in our Division has a 'name'
that can turn a game with a flash of ability...Nardiello for example.
Mackens time has come and gone, too prone to injury, overweight and slow..he certainly aint a 'proven' goalscorer anymore
and we just cannot rely on him much this season I fear, he will spent more of his time in the treatment room than he will on the pitch.
I don't care what anyone trolls out about midfield requirements etc. Walsall have suffered from a dubious recent history
of being unable to score enough goals...when did WE last score more than two goals in a game, I'm darned if I can remember! I was most impressed with a Manager (can't remember who it was) on the Football League 'after match' interview who said that it dosn't matter how good the team plays, if you can't score goals you aint gonna win matches!
How true. :(

PT
Site Addict

Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:53 pm

I thought that given the conditions both sides tried to play football and a neutral would have probably enjoyed the end to end nature of the game and the chances taken and missed.

For me, it was frustrating as hell. There will be few teams come to Bescot this season who we are actually better than. So having one served up on a plate last night and contriving to lose was a blow, but I guess that's football, the better team doesn't always win.

Macken should have come off 15 minutes earlier and his flat-footedness/fatigue lead to their winner as did Jimmy who seemed to have a Johnny Brain chocolate wrist moment.

Their fans were ace and ours desereve credit for patience and turning up on an awful night to watch a decent match that we managed to claw defeat from the jaws of victory.

kshammer
Site Addict

Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:48 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
kshammer wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:
Mal wrote:Missed last night and gutted not there as good times and bad UTS

Anyhow we have stayed 17th above relegation and at least have a manager who seems to know what he wants to do as opposed to Numpty utchings who was just clueless.

It is clear we have no cash! Chambers has a hamstring problem so I doubt he will be ready for Franchise FC, so unless Uncle Boner opens the cheque book it will be the same team Saturday, with Beevers in for Westlake.

What would I do, play 4-5-1 and stifle there play as we can't compete to try and get a point or even snatch three

Numpty Smith, nevermind Hutchings.
With much the same budget he is achieving the same as Hutchings.
At the current points per game ratio, we will be relegated.
FACT!

Did you go to the match? If not, how can you comment? Oh silly me... of course you didn't go but you will comment anyway. Why let watching the matches actually influence your opinions - that's a crazy idea.

Also, how do you know your 'facts' about the budget and how do you know we will be relegated as there are currently 4 teams in the division with a worse points per game ratio?

Smith may well yet prove to be a terrible manager and Walsall may get relegated but a "FACT" is something that has occurred or is actually the case, so how can you write "FACT" after what are basically an opinion and two speculations? :roll:

Oh yes it's your little troll trademark isn't it? Still as funny now as it was the first time you did it.

Dont need to go to the match in order to comment on this part of the board. However, if you want to put it to the mods that all people who didnt go to the match, should not be allowed to comment on it. Feel free to do so.
Let me know the outcome.

Look at the past league tables and then get back to me with the number of clubs who have survived on 43 points. I look forward to your response.

Let me know if my facts are different in regards the budget and where.

Give you something to do.

(a) No people shouldn't comment if they didn't go - I never do if i'm not there. Wouldn't want to spout off without knowing the FACTS of what went on. Oh yes... you have trouble with the definition of FACT don't you?
(b) I agree about your 43 point comment but you initial points per game ratio could apply to the 4 worse off teams in the division than us so again it is not a FACT but mere speculation.
(c) With regards the budget i'll be more than happy to agree with your FACTS when you provide the figures you have seen to support them. Genuinely - no bickering now - I want you to prove me wrong and show the FACTS.

How about to give you something to do, your homework is to find out the meaning of FACT in the dictionary. Try not to mix FACT up with SPECULATE or SPOUT GUANO - it's an easy mistake that you keep on doing.

Aldridge_saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:55 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:

Interesting, Though I doubt Deeney would agree to come back on loan (be a bit of a pitiful comedown for him).
However, a one legged dwarf with arthristis would be a better option up front to what we have at present.
I have said many times before what we need up front is a 'proven' goalscorer, nearly every team in our Division has a 'name'
Mackens time has come and gone, too prone to injury, overweight and slow..he certainly aint a 'proven' goalscorer anymore
and we just cannot rely on him much this season I fear, he will spent more of his time in the treatment room than he will on the pitch.
I don't care what anyone trolls out about midfield requirements etc. Walsall have suffered from a dubious recent history
of being unable to score enough goals...when did WE last score more than two goals in a game, I'm darned if I can remember! I was most impressed with a Manager (can't remember who it was) on the Football League 'after match' interview who said that it dosn't matter how good the team plays, if you can't score goals you aint gonna win matches!

Erm....

...is it me or has Alex Nicholls scored 3 in 4?

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:22 am

kshammer wrote:
(a) No people shouldn't comment if they didn't go - I never do if i'm not there. Wouldn't want to spout off without knowing the FACTS of what went on. Oh yes... you have trouble with the definition of FACT don't you?
(b) I agree about your 43 point comment but you initial points per game ratio could apply to the 4 worse off teams in the division than us so again it is not a FACT but mere speculation.
(c) With regards the budget i'll be more than happy to agree with your FACTS when you provide the figures you have seen to support them. Genuinely - no bickering now - I want you to prove me wrong and show the FACTS.

How about to give you something to do, your homework is to find out the meaning of FACT in the dictionary. Try not to mix FACT up with SPECULATE or SPOUT GUANO - it's an easy mistake that you keep on doing.

Confirmed on another thread - "This season the playing budget is the same (Nick Mashiter confirmed this earlier in the season)"

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:32 am

ToeJoe Jnr wrote:Overheard Someone mention we are looking at bringing Deeney back on loan, and looking at another player from Swansea, anyone else heard anything?

I think people should start looking at the facts before they post rumours like these. Deeney started for Watford last week and has been in their first team squad all season. No chance of him coming back here, I'm afraid.

kshammer
Site Addict

Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:20 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
kshammer wrote:

Confirmed on another thread - "This season the playing budget is the same (Nick Mashiter confirmed this earlier in the season)"

Where are the figures though... actual facts not what someone says (I think during a webchat-may be wrong???). Nick Mashiter who works for the paper commonly referred to as the Excuse & Dingle, a paper derided as rubbish on a daily basis? Not saying you're definately wrong but you can't be sure that is right either.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:28 pm

Aldridge_saddler wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

Erm....

...is it me or has Alex Nicholls scored 3 in 4?

Point taken my friend, but he's hardly a 'Rhodes' over a season is he?
Last season....which I admit was a season to forget...we only had one player who got into double figures..Gray 10...what
did walsall F.C. do? let hom go!

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:31 pm

....because he desperately wanted to go.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:54 pm

Darth Vader wrote:....because he desperately wanted to go.

Amazingly he never REALLY wanted to play for us at all, you could tell from his 'body language' and yet HE was top goalscorer...shows what tat we were, now we are even worse!

Previous
Return to 2011-12 Season