Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Exeter City (H) League 1 Tuesday 25/10/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
tinned
Site Addict

Re: Exeter City (H) League 1 Tuesday 25/10/11.

Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:25 pm

Whatever the why's and where for's on the performance, however many times we hit the woodwork it doesn't change the fact that ..... we'm shite an we'm gewin down.

We are one-paced and soooo predicatble going forward that a one legged nuns team could easily defend against us. As soon as the opposition score against us that's it .... draw at best.

Seventies Man's little sidekick was in the Saddlers Club after the game shouting "Smith out". Okay, he ain't gonna be the saviour we all hoped but who would do any better under the circumstances? Until the leech has gone nobody would be able to do much.

BONSER OUT!

Lone Striker

Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:26 pm

Time for action rather than words from our manager, dont blame the budget as I suspect it is the same as last year and these are his chosen players. The style that we play is also down to him and he has built a side with limited ability, no creativity and no pace, he could have addressed all these shortcomings with different signings in the summer. We now find ourselves in the situation of needing loans to bale us out of trouble rather than helping us kick on which is what successful teams do!!

I am getting fed up of watching the same players make the same mistakes without ever appearing to learn any lessons. I have nothing against Westlake, however, for two seasons he has proved weak defensively. Both goals last Saturday were down to him, the first this evening was due to weak defending and every team we play work out that he is weak in the air. I have lost count of how many times he is at fault, Beevers may not be the best and if Smith does not think he is good enough then admit the mistake and find a replacement on loan, reckon Right Back is one of the easier positions to find someone. Lancashire should also play on Saturday, not sure why he was dropped in the first place as overall he offers more to the team that Smith who makes even the easiest task on a football pitch look difficult.

Midfield we are all aware is a massive issue, Taundry cannot play in there as when he plays the team looks weaker, it does not matter who he partners we do not pass or keep the ball with any quality when he plays. Saturday has to be Chambers and Peterlin, if injury rules out Chambers then the omly option is again in the loan market as the same two as tonight will end with the same result.

Up front again is limited and Macken really struggled tonight both with fitness and lack of quality service, Nicholls is arguably playing the best football of his Walsall career and with it scoring a few goals, just a pity he is also feeding off scraps.

Have we learnt any lessons from last season? the time for loans is this now to give us a boost in terms of new faces and hopefully some improved quality. If the board will not sanction the funding then someone needs to tell us, at least then we would know where we stand. Come on Dean Smith lead us with some actions and not the nice words I keep reading in the press.

Sorry to be so negative but tonight was a milestone evening for me, we lost to a team who not only had not won away before tonight they had not scored an away goal, if we are true to ourselves arguably they deserved it as well!

Sadders
UTS Legend

Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:34 pm

Unlucky on the first 60 minutes display. Hit the woodwork twice which makes it 3 times in 2 games now, forced the City keeper into a couple of saves, Smith missed a free diving header in the first half half and just generally looked like creating. It's no conincidence that we create more chances in the first half with Macken up top and the pace of Nicholls off him, than in the 4 or 5 games that Jarvis and Grigg played upfront together.

Thought it was a dumb decision to take of Paterson as he and Nicholls are the only ones who have any spark, pace wise anyway. After he went off, Hurst shifted to the left and the inept Gnapka to the right and we lost any kind of creativity and instead reverted back to lumping the ball from the back only to see the ball be rebounded back.

Taundry after 2 good games this season, has sunk back to his old self. Rash in possession, wasteful, slow and generally clumsy. Peterlin slightly better, but he's not much good either. Thought Hurst had one of his better games tonight, he's actually not a bad ball players and can use both feet, aswell striker a ball well. But his pace and 'drive' at times puts that much of a limitation on his game, he'l never be anything more than a bottom half league one player.

The defence for the first time in a while tonight looked really weak against some guile and intelligent forward play. Not sure what happened with the winner, but it looked like Butler slid in on the line as Walker made the save only to turn around and not have enough time to adjust his body to the ball which lead to it crossing the line. Either way, it was a dreadful goal to concede. That brings me to Westlake, whose defensive play has gone backwards in the last 18 months or so and as much as his forward play has improved, that's not enough to keep someone in the team. Sadly we've only got Beevers as back up and he's pretty much a BSP standard of player, so he should keep the shirt. Butler wasnt brillant tonight, but he and Sadler form a good left sided half of defence, Smith and Westlake on the other hand needs some sorting.

Finally up top, i thought we were fairly good. I've thought for a while now that Nicholls's pace off Macken's back to goal hard work would reap its rewards - and it did. We created more chance in the first half than we have for a number of games now. Good finish from Nicholls and he again looks a man in form with the confidence of a couple of goals recently. Thought it was between him, Paterson and Hurst for MOTM.

Dissapointing result but I find the most worrying aspect being that so far this season we've played badly and lost, and have now played well and lost. IN the last 2 games we've deserved arguably 4 points from Tranmere and tonight and got precisely 0. Huddersfield and MK Dons up next and if they go to the form books, our form is going to show 1 win in 12 games. Thoose are Hutchings kind of stats...

brackley
UTS Veteran

Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:44 pm

priestley_saddler wrote:What a thoroughly frustrating night. If that match had ended at 1-1 I'd have come on here gutted that we hadn't won, as with the chances we had we should have...and then we went and lost!!! How did that happen?

To be fair it was a decent game, contributed too by the appalling weather conditions and two teams who were poor defensively, and it proved to be our downfall.

We started well and looked as dangerous as we've done all season, Nicholls hitting a rasping shot which their keeper almost managed to let slip through his legs. But yet within a minute of that we were behind. Their player had the ball, Westlake closed him down to a point (more on this later***) and basically invited him to shoot from distance. So he did, and he scored. A finish reminiscent of Tranmere's opener on Saturday.

We weren't behind for long, a poor goal kick was headed forward by Hurst for Nicholls to run on too and his finish was clinical. 1-1, damage undone. We should have been infront a couple of minutes after when Hurst had a shot from a similar position to Nicholls goal, only to see it cannon back off the inside of the post. We hit the post again in the second half when Macken curled one from the edge of the area (on first viewing it looked like it was going about 6 yards wide), which swung back brilliantly but cannoned away again off the outside of the post.

We looked the more likely winners but you could just sense we were equally capable of losing it and so it turned out. Their player went wide left to pick the ball up, Manny went with him while Westlake covered in the middle, but he left Manny dawdling behind him and hit a shot which I think Butler tried to clear but it went in off Wacka. It was down the 'away' end though so will have to see it again.

Still we shouldn't have lost as with the final kick of the game Taundry curled one in which Grigg rose to meet. It was one of those where commentators say "It just needed any touch and it was a goal", well he did touch it and still somehow managed to not get enough on it. It was the sort of chance Jorge used to miss regularly in his later years before falling to his knees with his head in his hands, if that makes it clearer for people to visualise. He'd have been better leaving it for Butler who was running in behind.

*** Now, this closing down business. What are we playing at? It was like watching the supporters team (I play in that team so can say that, and am guilty of exactly this!!), whereby we would close down the man on the ball to a point, until we were about two yards away from him. And then wouldn't get any closer, and wouldn't put a tackle in. It was almost as though they were scared to tackle in slippery conditions incase they picked up a booking. It cost us both goals and something that needs sorting out. For the most part we've been solid in defence which we've needed to be with our lousy attack. If the defence suddenly goes Pete Tong we are in trouble.

Walker - I think he was playing to orders on his distribution, as a lot of his goalkicks were taken short to one of his defenders. At least it did away to hoofing it straight to their centre back. Couldn't save the first one and I think he was impeded by Butler for the winner.
Westlake - I would say his place is under threat, as the winner on Saturday and both goals tonight came down his side. Allowed their man to shoot for the first goal and was out of position for the second. Poor game from him.
Sadler - Probably the pick of the defenders without really excelling, as solid as anyone and good on the ball.
Smith - Didn't have a bad game to be fair, he seems to be trying to avoid hoofing it quite so often, which can only be good. Doesn't have the confidence yet though with possession so ends up going back to Wacka a lot. The big blot on his copybook was how he allowed their man to just waltz past him which contributed to their winner.
Butler - I thought it was his worst game for a while, and twice in the second half seemed to get directly in Wacka's way, which also contributed in part to the winner.
Taundry - Dreadfully poor. It got to a point where I think even he realised that there was no point him doing anything as he'd just piece it up anyway, and as a result appeared to stop trying.
Peterlin - I think he's the best central midfielder at the club (not the highest calibre competition in the world). Offers himself for the short ball on the defence and does his fair share of the ugly stuff too. Passing needs some work though as he does give the ball away from time to time.
Paterson - Is guilty of trying too much sometimes but that will come with experience. I really like him, the only player in the team who genuinely excites with the ball at his feet and is a good outlet on the left. I have a horrible feeling he's about to lose his place to Gnakpa. Memo to Deano: Don't do that!!!
Hurst - Proved once and for all tonight he's not a left winger, by being brilliant on the right for 70 minutes, and then gash for the last 20 on the left. Another argument for keeping Paterson in the team. Claimed an assist and hit the post, and his set piece delivery was decent too. Got sponsors MOTM, which was fair enough even though I'd have given it to Nicholls.
Macken - Still doesn't appear to be fully fit, but got 80 minutes under his belt. Played well and was unlucky to hit the post.
Nicholls - Very much a man in form, but as form is temporary. Will be interesting to see if it turns into genuine permanent class, I'll admit to being sceptical. Can't fault him tonight though, his finish for the goal was clinical and really put a shift in. My MOTM.

Subs

Gnakpa - He's someone I really really want to do well, but it just doesn't seem to be clicking for him at the minute. Deano seems to rate him but I don't think he's worthy of a place in the starting XI.
Grigg - Still don't know how he missed that header.

EDIT: As someone said above, big respect for the Exeter fans who were numerous and vocal. A bigger following than even the club expected as I think they'd have given them behind the goal had they known. Instead they ended up with blocks G, H and I in the family stand and there weren't many empty seats. Doubt we'd have taken that many there had this fixture been reversed.

Onwards and upwards, wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we beat the Dongs on Saturday.

When I saw Chambers was absent I feared the worst.......... this is a game we could and should have won. On the balance of play and chances/near misses we should have been good value for the 3 points.

All that said........... we look a desparately nervous side lacking in confidence and without the brawn of Chambers in the middle of the park we look lightweight and Taundry aint up to it!.........and we miss Martins

IApologies for the rant in advance; but I am getting more than a little frustrated with the comparisons being made of Deano to Hutchins - as in one of my earlier blogs, our expectations beyond survival this season are totally barmy!! ......lets face facts, he had a shoe string budget and was needing to sign up almost a whole first team squad of misfits from other clubs to start the season, make them gell and get some results.........

im sorry, but fair is fair - for as long as the dessenters amongst us sit at home rather than support the club and as much as I hate saying this - doing so financially to give Deano some spending power albeit limited we quite frankly dont deserve to have a club - look at Plymouth Argyle for f*ck sake.......... what are we trying to achieve - drain the bloody life out of the club to the extent where its then too late - Bonser sells up and then what are we left with. For the bean-counters amongst us, any new investor/owner of the future is going to look at the business viability of the club - cos lets face it we aint gonna get some wealthy American multi-zillionaire bank-roll us to the premeirship....HELLLLLLLLLLLOOOOO!.........they are gonna wanna know what the strength of the fan-base is, commercial revenue etc etc :roll:

Sorry fellas we are totally dillusional if we believe we are serving a cause by sitting at home...... and for one I have got the raving arse...........!!! :evil:

IF YOU HAVE ANY MATES WHO CALL THEMSELVES SUPPORTERS AND ARE SAT AT HOME - HAVE A WORD!!

People underestimate just how big a part we have to play in all this, so rather than doing a Les Dawson sat in your cumfy arm-chair mumbling Bonser this, Bonser that.......get your sorry arses down to the Bezza on Saturday and lets get some life injected back into the club. Argggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Sorry had to be said.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:51 pm

brackley wrote:
priestley_saddler wrote:What a thoroughly frustrating night. If that match had ended at 1-1 I'd have come on here gutted that we hadn't won, as with the chances we had we should have...and then we went and lost!!! How did that happen?

To be fair it was a decent game, contributed too by the appalling weather conditions and two teams who were poor defensively, and it proved to be our downfall.

We started well and looked as dangerous as we've done all season, Nicholls hitting a rasping shot which their keeper almost managed to let slip through his legs. But yet within a minute of that we were behind. Their player had the ball, Westlake closed him down to a point (more on this later***) and basically invited him to shoot from distance. So he did, and he scored. A finish reminiscent of Tranmere's opener on Saturday.

We weren't behind for long, a poor goal kick was headed forward by Hurst for Nicholls to run on too and his finish was clinical. 1-1, damage undone. We should have been infront a couple of minutes after when Hurst had a shot from a similar position to Nicholls goal, only to see it cannon back off the inside of the post. We hit the post again in the second half when Macken curled one from the edge of the area (on first viewing it looked like it was going about 6 yards wide), which swung back brilliantly but cannoned away again off the outside of the post.

We looked the more likely winners but you could just sense we were equally capable of losing it and so it turned out. Their player went wide left to pick the ball up, Manny went with him while Westlake covered in the middle, but he left Manny dawdling behind him and hit a shot which I think Butler tried to clear but it went in off Wacka. It was down the 'away' end though so will have to see it again.

Still we shouldn't have lost as with the final kick of the game Taundry curled one in which Grigg rose to meet. It was one of those where commentators say "It just needed any touch and it was a goal", well he did touch it and still somehow managed to not get enough on it. It was the sort of chance Jorge used to miss regularly in his later years before falling to his knees with his head in his hands, if that makes it clearer for people to visualise. He'd have been better leaving it for Butler who was running in behind.

*** Now, this closing down business. What are we playing at? It was like watching the supporters team (I play in that team so can say that, and am guilty of exactly this!!), whereby we would close down the man on the ball to a point, until we were about two yards away from him. And then wouldn't get any closer, and wouldn't put a tackle in. It was almost as though they were scared to tackle in slippery conditions incase they picked up a booking. It cost us both goals and something that needs sorting out. For the most part we've been solid in defence which we've needed to be with our lousy attack. If the defence suddenly goes Pete Tong we are in trouble.

Walker - I think he was playing to orders on his distribution, as a lot of his goalkicks were taken short to one of his defenders. At least it did away to hoofing it straight to their centre back. Couldn't save the first one and I think he was impeded by Butler for the winner.
Westlake - I would say his place is under threat, as the winner on Saturday and both goals tonight came down his side. Allowed their man to shoot for the first goal and was out of position for the second. Poor game from him.
Sadler - Probably the pick of the defenders without really excelling, as solid as anyone and good on the ball.
Smith - Didn't have a bad game to be fair, he seems to be trying to avoid hoofing it quite so often, which can only be good. Doesn't have the confidence yet though with possession so ends up going back to Wacka a lot. The big blot on his copybook was how he allowed their man to just waltz past him which contributed to their winner.
Butler - I thought it was his worst game for a while, and twice in the second half seemed to get directly in Wacka's way, which also contributed in part to the winner.
Taundry - Dreadfully poor. It got to a point where I think even he realised that there was no point him doing anything as he'd just piece it up anyway, and as a result appeared to stop trying.
Peterlin - I think he's the best central midfielder at the club (not the highest calibre competition in the world). Offers himself for the short ball on the defence and does his fair share of the ugly stuff too. Passing needs some work though as he does give the ball away from time to time.
Paterson - Is guilty of trying too much sometimes but that will come with experience. I really like him, the only player in the team who genuinely excites with the ball at his feet and is a good outlet on the left. I have a horrible feeling he's about to lose his place to Gnakpa. Memo to Deano: Don't do that!!!
Hurst - Proved once and for all tonight he's not a left winger, by being brilliant on the right for 70 minutes, and then gash for the last 20 on the left. Another argument for keeping Paterson in the team. Claimed an assist and hit the post, and his set piece delivery was decent too. Got sponsors MOTM, which was fair enough even though I'd have given it to Nicholls.
Macken - Still doesn't appear to be fully fit, but got 80 minutes under his belt. Played well and was unlucky to hit the post.
Nicholls - Very much a man in form, but as form is temporary. Will be interesting to see if it turns into genuine permanent class, I'll admit to being sceptical. Can't fault him tonight though, his finish for the goal was clinical and really put a shift in. My MOTM.

Subs

Gnakpa - He's someone I really really want to do well, but it just doesn't seem to be clicking for him at the minute. Deano seems to rate him but I don't think he's worthy of a place in the starting XI.

EDIT: As someone said above, big respect for the Exeter fans who were numerous and vocal. A bigger following than even the club expected as I think they'd have given them behind the goal had they known. Instead they ended up with blocks G, H and I in the family stand and there weren't many empty seats. Doubt we'd have taken that many there had this fixture been reversed.

Onwards and upwards, wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we beat the Dongs on Saturday.

When I saw Chambers was absent I feared the worst.......... this is a game we could and should have won. On the balance of play and chances/near misses we should have been good value for the 3 points.

All that said........... we look a desparately nervous side lacking in confidence and without the brawn of Chambers in the middle of the park we look lightweight and Taundry aint up to it!.........and we miss Martins

IApologies for the rant in advance; but I am getting more than a little frustrated with the comparisons being made of Deano to Hutchins - as in one of my earlier blogs, our expectations beyond survival this season are totally barmy!! ......lets face facts, he had a shoe string budget and was needing to sign up almost a whole first team squad of misfits from other clubs to start the season, make them gell and get some results.........

im sorry, but fair is fair - for as long as the dessenters amongst us sit at home rather than support the club and as much as I hate saying this - doing so financially to give Deano some spending power albeit limited we quite frankly dont deserve to have a club - look at Plymouth Argyle for f*ck sake.......... what are we trying to achieve - drain the bloody life out of the club to the extent where its then too late - Bonser sells up and then what are we left with. For the bean-counters amongst us, any new investor/owner of the future is going to look at the business viability of the club - cos lets face it we aint gonna get some wealthy American multi-zillionaire bank-roll us to the premeirship....HELLLLLLLLLLLOOOOO!.........they are gonna wanna know what the strength of the fan-base is, commercial revenue etc etc :roll:

Sorry fellas we are totally dillusional if we believe we are serving a cause by sitting at home...... and for one I have got the raving arse...........!!! :evil:

IF YOU HAVE ANY MATES WHO CALL THEMSELVES SUPPORTERS AND ARE SAT AT HOME - HAVE A WORD!!

People underestimate just how big a part we have to play in all this, so rather than doing a Les Dawson sat in your cumfy arm-chair mumbling Bonser this, Bonser that.......get your sorry arses down to the Bezza on Saturday and lets get some life injected back into the club. Argggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Sorry had to be said.

I ay saying you're wrong mate, because not going to games is obviously not going to help the club. However, can you really blame anybody that has had enough of the choking, stifling, slow-death, stranglehold that is the Bonser years? We're never going to to anything of note while this leech is in ultimate control. EVERY day (7 days a week) over a £1,1OO is taken from the club to make one family very financially comfortable. Due to that the club is forced to shop at the equivalent of Lidl's bargain bucket. How can you blame fans (struggling in the current financial climate) for deciding not to shell out £20+ every other week to watch this club wither and die?

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:09 pm

tinned wrote:Whatever the why's and where for's on the performance, however many times we hit the woodwork it doesn't change the fact that ..... we'm guano an we'm gewin down.

We are one-paced and soooo predicatble going forward that a one legged nuns team could easily defend against us. As soon as the opposition score against us that's it .... draw at best.

Seventies Man's little sidekick was in the Saddlers Club after the game shouting "Smith out". Okay, he ain't gonna be the saviour we all hoped but who would do any better under the circumstances? Until the leech has gone nobody would be able to do much.

BONSER OUT!

Couldn't agree more, until the current ownership of freehold & club situataion changes we are going to struggle and be on anything but a downward spiral.

The squad this season is simply just not good enough. As fans accept relegation now, anything better will be a bonus.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:14 pm

Taundry playing crap? Well I never! :shock:

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:36 pm

tinned wrote:
brackley wrote:

Subs

Sorry fellas we are totally dillusional if we believe we are serving a cause by sitting at home...... and for one I have got the raving backside...........!!! :evil:

People underestimate just how big a part we have to play in all this, so rather than doing a Les Dawson sat in your cumfy arm-chair mumbling Bonser this, Bonser that.......get your sorry backsides down to the Bezza on Saturday and lets get some life injected back into the club. Argggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Sorry had to be said.

I ay saying you're wrong mate, because not going to games is obviously not going to help the club. However, can you really blame anybody that has had enough of the choking, stifling, slow-death, stranglehold that is the Bonser years? We're never going to to anything of note while this leech is in ultimate control. EVERY day (7 days a week) over a £1,1OO is taken from the club to make one family very financially comfortable. Due to that the club is forced to shop at the equivalent of Lidl's bargain bucket. How can you blame fans (struggling in the current financial climate) for deciding not to shell out £20+ every other week to watch this club wither and die?

I don't blame anyone for not going anymore. I just can't be arsed myself now, tonight was my first home game since sometime in September. I can't remember who we last played, maybe Oldham. I can't be bothered to go against MK Dons Saturday & I have a ST, I have something better to do.
The faith is drained out of me, mojo is lost, enough's enough. This club is dying due to one man's wilful greed & excentricity and like many, I can't stomach watching the end any more, so I'm walking away from it.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:18 am

We love you Walsall...we do... :D

brackley
UTS Veteran

Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:30 am

ok......... lets put this in perspective. On another night we would have won tonights game withoutany question - so we lack some quality, but the fellas out on the pitch no matter what we may think are giving 110%....... and trying to win.

Reality; Reality is........ that we will just avoid relegation this season, hopefully with a little more to spare than last season. We have not had the rub of the green in the last 2 matches and as we can all see we are one or two loan signings away from picking up some results.

I for one think we will beat MK Dons on Saturday!!....... with Chambers back we have enough in the tank to turn 'em over.

Whilst im in the mood to be controversial.............is Bonser actually doing any differently to any other businessman? I have to be honest whilst i know the bare bones and pick stuff up from the opinions/ commentary on UTS I dont know how on the money these views are...???

I get the lack of investment and the frustrations surrounding short term-vision versus the need for longer term strategy to support club success for the future...... get all that and believe me im with you all on that score - no question!

Bonser has had his day and he is planning for his retirement in my view no differently from anyone else - the only difference is that its at our clubs expense we believe. The problem is there is no spare cash with dwindling attendances, you dont need to be an Accountant to work that one out!

Bonser is succession planning behind the scenes anyhow and will be positioning the club for a sale at some point have no doubt and we can but hope that we have someone that has some vision and where-with-all to move WFC forward.

Out of sheer interest I am going to undertake to pull off the Accounts for WFC and analyse them in depth and give a fair and totally impartial view and will then share with all for those that may be interested - I for one am, as any personal view on Bonser I have at present is not based on fact but hearsay........... equally, im not suspecting that i will find anything wildly different from the views shared by many on UTS.

...... and as you may have gathered and no differently to when I was a player myself - when we lose I have the raving hump for days ......... it is now 1.27 am on Wednesday morning and im about to turn in to relive the nightmare of the last 90 minutes over n over. :evil:

brackley
UTS Veteran

Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:32 am

Darth Vader wrote:We love you Walsall...we do... :D

OH WALSALL WE LOVE YOU................. n goodnight :D

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:44 am

Saarland Saddler wrote:Taundry playing crap? Well I never! :shock:

After 60 minutes he was my man of the match :oops: All went downhill from there though.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:47 am

Whitti Steve wrote:

After 60 minutes he was my man of the match :oops: All went downhill from there though.

Way downhill.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:49 am

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
Whitti Steve wrote:

Way downhill.

In a franz klammer-esqe way.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:32 am

Graydon48 wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:Why when Hutchings was manager we blame the manager?
Why when Smith is manager we blame the budget?
You couldnt write it, people need to take their rose tinted specs off asap!

Spot on Sheff.
Come on Belgian lets see your balanced response.

Plenty of disappointed but balanced responses on here if you care to read them. You and Sheff should get a room rather than boring us all with hysterical rantings. Still at least Sheff is amusing

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:44 am

Balanced responses? Blasting Smith for taking Paterson off? He was off the pace all night, didn't beat his man once and didn't get a single cross in all night! I thought he should have made the move earlier. I would, however, have left Hurst on the right, where he was far more effective, especially as Gnakpa can play down the left as well.

Agree Westlake's defending was abysmal - although people miss out that his distribution was awful as well, which is why people say they want him in the team.

Taundry? Well, I love to hear philthesaddler's explanation of why, with Richards goen, he still looks terrible! All their threat last night came from midfielders getting beyond the strikers. When Taundry wasn't giving the ball away, he was failimng to pick up the runner time and time again. The midfield HAS to be strengthened, even if only by a loan.

Lastly, when all's said and done, Walker made one save all night - and fumbled it into the net. Their keeper made two good saves, fumbled one towards the net and recovered, we hit the woodwork twice with the keeper stranded and Grigg missed an absolute sitter

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:27 am

The Exeter fans song after they scored their first goal summed it all up:

We're winning away
We're winning away
How s**t must you be
We're winning away

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:33 am

brackley wrote:ok......... lets put this in perspective. On another night we would have won tonights game withoutany question - so we lack some quality, but the fellas out on the pitch no matter what we may think are giving 110%....... and trying to win.

Reality; Reality is........ that we will just avoid relegation this season, hopefully with a little more to spare than last season. We have not had the rub of the green in the last 2 matches and as we can all see we are one or two loan signings away from picking up some results.

I for one think we will beat MK Dons on Saturday!!....... with Chambers back we have enough in the tank to turn 'em over.

Whilst im in the mood to be controversial.............is Bonser actually doing any differently to any other businessman? I have to be honest whilst i know the bare bones and pick stuff up from the opinions/ commentary on UTS I dont know how on the money these views are...???

I get the lack of investment and the frustrations surrounding short term-vision versus the need for longer term strategy to support club success for the future...... get all that and believe me im with you all on that score - no question!

Bonser has had his day and he is planning for his retirement in my view no differently from anyone else - the only difference is that its at our clubs expense we believe. The problem is there is no spare cash with dwindling attendances, you dont need to be an Accountant to work that one out!

Bonser is succession planning behind the scenes anyhow and will be positioning the club for a sale at some point have no doubt and we can but hope that we have someone that has some vision and where-with-all to move WFC forward.

Out of sheer interest I am going to undertake to pull off the Accounts for WFC and analyse them in depth and give a fair and totally impartial view and will then share with all for those that may be interested - I for one am, as any personal view on Bonser I have at present is not based on fact but hearsay........... equally, im not suspecting that i will find anything wildly different from the views shared by many on UTS.

...... and as you may have gathered and no differently to when I was a player myself - when we lose I have the raving hump for days ......... it is now 1.27 am on Wednesday morning and im about to turn in to relive the nightmare of the last 90 minutes over n over. :evil:

How can you say it's based on hearsay? Anyone with half a brain knows ********************, and he will be exposed for what he us eventually. Then his self imposed "saviour" tag, can be well and truly ripped away from the man.

MODDED - choose your words more carefully

Chris
UTS Veteran

Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:36 am

Our problems are plentiful, but to name a few:

Almost none of them have a good first touch.

Every pass is predictable (I can usually predict our next 3 moves before they're even made (and that's on the rare instances we actually string 3 passes together)

Nearly every pass plays the recipient into trouble or down a blind alley.

We don't close down quick enough, show the opposition far too much respect regardless of their calibre, look scared to tackle and we are second to every ball.

The only positive is that I no longer get the impression I got under Hutchings that most of the players don't care. Their determination is clear, but the quality and application is worse than it has been in a long time. In a way, the fact that they seem to be trying their hardest and are still this bad actually scares me more than if they were just being lazy.

Walsall forever!

Mal
UTS Veteran

Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:55 am

Missed last night and gutted not there as good times and bad UTS

Anyhow we have stayed 17th above relegation and at least have a manager who seems to know what he wants to do as opposed to Numpty utchings who was just clueless.

It is clear we have no cash! Chambers has a hamstring problem so I doubt he will be ready for Franchise FC, so unless Uncle Boner opens the cheque book it will be the same team Saturday, with Beevers in for Westlake.

What would I do, play 4-5-1 and stifle there play as we can't compete to try and get a point or even snatch three

adjisaddler
Glitterati

Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:11 am

I was at the game last night to haing taken the link up offer .. and i can only echo the sentiments. 2 poor teams ...i didnt even realise Macken was on the pitch till the end.. hit the post twice , teamed down with rain to. The team just looked dreadful.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:12 am

Mal wrote:Missed last night and gutted not there as good times and bad UTS

Anyhow we have stayed 17th above relegation and at least have a manager who seems to know what he wants to do as opposed to Numpty utchings who was just clueless.

It is clear we have no cash! Chambers has a hamstring problem so I doubt he will be ready for Franchise FC, so unless Uncle Boner opens the cheque book it will be the same team Saturday, with Beevers in for Westlake.

What would I do, play 4-5-1 and stifle there play as we can't compete to try and get a point or even snatch three

Numpty Smith, nevermind Hutchings.
With much the same budget he is achieving the same as Hutchings.
At the current points per game ratio, we will be relegated.
FACT!

kshammer
Site Addict

Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:35 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:

FACT!

Did you go to the match? If not, how can you comment? Oh silly me... of course you didn't go but you will comment anyway. Why let watching the matches actually influence your opinions - that's a crazy idea.

Also, how do you know your 'facts' about the budget and how do you know we will be relegated as there are currently 4 teams in the division with a worse points per game ratio?

Smith may well yet prove to be a terrible manager and Walsall may get relegated but a "FACT" is something that has occurred or is actually the case, so how can you write "FACT" after what are basically an opinion and two speculations? :roll:

Oh yes it's your little troll trademark isn't it? Still as funny now as it was the first time you did it.

kshammer
Site Addict

Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:44 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Balanced responses? Blasting Smith for taking Paterson off? He was off the pace all night, didn't beat his man once and didn't get a single cross in all night! I thought he should have made the move earlier. I would, however, have left Hurst on the right, where he was far more effective, especially as Gnakpa can play down the left as well.

Agree Westlake's defending was abysmal - although people miss out that his distribution was awful as well, which is why people say they want him in the team.

Taundry? Well, I love to hear philthesaddler's explanation of why, with Richards goen, he still looks terrible! All their threat last night came from midfielders getting beyond the strikers. When Taundry wasn't giving the ball away, he was failimng to pick up the runner time and time again. The midfield HAS to be strengthened, even if only by a loan.

Lastly, when all's said and done, Walker made one save all night - and fumbled it into the net. Their keeper made two good saves, fumbled one towards the net and recovered, we hit the woodwork twice with the keeper stranded and Grigg missed an absolute sitter

Agreed on Paterson... thought his first touch was abysmal.

Westlake for me isn't a fullback... can't defend well enough yet so maybe he should be right midfield with a defender behind him.

Spot on with the midfield aswell. I loose track of how many seasons i've been saying that about our midfield though.

Also don't forget Manny Smiths header in the first half that he put well wide when all it needed to do was hit him. We weren't brilliant but we could've easily had more goals yesterday.

I'd add that defensively I think the problem is the right side. Westlake and Smith are postionally poor - couldn't believe that Smith didn't nail their player before he ran past in a straight line towards goal. How easy was it for their man? I prefer Lancashire personally as Smith doesn't convice me defensively and is technically attrocious and teams definately target his and Westlake's side.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:04 pm

kshammer wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:

FACT!

Did you go to the match? If not, how can you comment? Oh silly me... of course you didn't go but you will comment anyway. Why let watching the matches actually influence your opinions - that's a crazy idea.

Also, how do you know your 'facts' about the budget and how do you know we will be relegated as there are currently 4 teams in the division with a worse points per game ratio?

Smith may well yet prove to be a terrible manager and Walsall may get relegated but a "FACT" is something that has occurred or is actually the case, so how can you write "FACT" after what are basically an opinion and two speculations? :roll:

Oh yes it's your little troll trademark isn't it? Still as funny now as it was the first time you did it.

Dont need to go to the match in order to comment on this part of the board. However, if you want to put it to the mods that all people who didnt go to the match, should not be allowed to comment on it. Feel free to do so.
Let me know the outcome.

Look at the past league tables and then get back to me with the number of clubs who have survived on 43 points. I look forward to your response.

Let me know if my facts are different in regards the budget and where.

Give you something to do.

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:40 pm

My armchair and I are now exchanging bodily fluids in a symbiotic relationship, such is my appetite for Walsall FC.
Yes, I'm sure that Exeter aren't a bad side, they were 9th or something last year etc, etc.

It's been said a million times before. Two goals shipped at home to a poor team and what's worse a life form that evolved from a Dingle.
How does the club propose not to be a total embarrassment on a consistent basis?

The most valid form of football is now the UEFA Fannybatter league, where Europe's finest overpaid toss can compare hairstyles without the pretence of the loathesome domestic game. Walsall fails to provide the real football that people crave.

DawleyDick

Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:56 pm

What a dismal affair this match was.

The highlight for me was one of the songs that the Exeter fans sang before their second goal:

We'll score again
Don't know where
Don't know when
But we know we'll score again
Some sunny day

To the tune of the Vera Lynn hit.

Perhaps we ought to start singing this one!

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:14 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:

FACT!

By Easter the way things are going

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:32 pm

Last night's performance was an utter embarrassment - as is the position we now find ourselves in.

Exeter weren't great, but we definitely didn't deserve to win the game. People can question Smith's chopping and changing of the starting elevenm, but a lack of quality throughout means that in his mind, he thinks it's a case of not having found the winning formula just yet.

You don't even need to attend our matches to know that we're vulnerable down our right hand side. We've now conceded three goals in the last two games as direct results of Westlake's poor defending. As Lone Striker says, Beevers might not be great, but schoolboy defending would be an improvement on recent displays in that position. And to echo Neil's point, his disribution, which is supposed to be his strongest attribute, was poor all night too.

Then we come onto Taundry, who, yet again, was atrocious. What's worse is that he drags his midfield partner down with him when he plays. First Chambers, now Peterlin - both have had their strengths completely undermined by having to constantly sweep up after Taundry's mistakes. I thought Peterlin showed some real quality in the first half last night, but second half was a completely different story as he spent most of his time chasing shadows thanks to wasteful play by his team-mates.

Macken and Nicholls did very little between them - Nicholls' goal aside - but they can't really be blamed for that. How often did we get the ball to within ten yards of either of them? And for all Paterson's running, he has a tendency not to threaten in the final third, which is where it really counts.

I've just read the E&S article about Smith's search for a striker. Frankly, if the alarm bells weren't ringing before, they certainly are now. He's got bigger fish to fry than a search for the striker that every League One side is constantly on the hunt for. The squad is completely overrun by players who just don't have the quality needed at this level.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:49 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:Last night's performance was an utter embarrassment - as is the position we now find ourselves in.

Exeter weren't great, but we definitely didn't deserve to win the game. People can question Smith's chopping and changing of the starting elevenm, but a lack of quality throughout means that in his mind, he thinks it's a case of not having found the winning formula just yet.

You don't even need to attend our matches to know that we're vulnerable down our right hand side. We've now conceded three goals in the last two games as direct results of Westlake's poor defending. As Lone Striker says, Beevers might not be great, but schoolboy defending would be an improvement on recent displays in that position. And to echo Neil's point, his disribution, which is supposed to be his strongest attribute, was poor all night too.

Then we come onto Taundry, who, yet again, was atrocious. What's worse is that he drags his midfield partner down with him when he plays. First Chambers, now Peterlin - both have had their strengths completely undermined by having to constantly sweep up after Taundry's mistakes. I thought Peterlin showed some real quality in the first half last night, but second half was a completely different story as he spent most of his time chasing shadows thanks to wasteful play by his team-mates.

Macken and Nicholls did very little between them - Nicholls' goal aside - but they can't really be blamed for that. How often did we get the ball to within ten yards of either of them? And for all Paterson's running, he has a tendency not to threaten in the final third, which is where it really counts.

I've just read the E&S article about Smith's search for a striker. Frankly, if the alarm bells weren't ringing before, they certainly are now. He's got bigger fish to fry than a search for the striker that every League One side is constantly on the hunt for. The squad is completely overrun by players who just don't have the quality needed at this level.

Maybe cuz Jarvis has gone missing :?:

PreviousNext
Return to 2011-12 Season