Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Tranmere Rovers (A) League 1 Saturday 22/10/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
brackley
UTS Veteran

Re: Tranmere Rovers (A) League 1 Saturday 22/10/11.

Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:23 pm

Duke wrote:Disappointing

r for f*ck sake.................will have to get'em up for Tuesday - Exeter is an early season 'must-win' game :x

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:24 pm

So much for Griggs optimism about an upsurge in Walsalls fortune.......
Have we just lost AGAIN or is it an imaginary blip?
We're guano, and heading for Division Four, no doubt about it. Anyone out there brave enough to go the the Galpharm
on Bonfire night? Rhodes 6 goals in two games.....bit like watching Griggsy aye it!
I am sad to see our team in such a state of miserable decline.
Everyone will be saying...Ah! but we played well, but for the opposition scoring two goals to our one, we wouldn't have lost!
Titanic anyone?

brackley
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:27 pm

Walsall_fan1992 wrote:
brackley wrote:How did we play though??

Played okay without really threatening till we lost chambers. Only thing taundry did was hit the bar. Was anonymous. As was nicholls, shame after how he did against PNE. Still, we weren't helped at all by the ref. One of the most biased performances ive seen. We need a right back and a centre mid if chambers is out for a bit.

what did Chambers go off with?........... take it Westlake is struggling still

Problem is that once we lose an influential player we dont have any strength in depth at all........dont want to be without Chambers on Tuesday night thats for sure

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:30 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:So much for Griggs optimism about an upsurge in Walsalls fortune.......
We're guano, and heading for Division Four, no doubt about it. Anyone out there brave enough to go the the Galpharm
on Bonfire night? Rhodes 6 goals in two games.....bit like watching Griggsy aye it!
Everyone will be saying...Ah! but we played well, but for the opposition scoring two goals to our one, we wouldn't have lost!
Titanic anyone?

TBH I'd have been ecstatic with a point against Tranmere, they're a decent side, especially at home.

Still, I've heard fans saying we were toothless and such, so not good by the sounds of it.

PS - I'm off to Huddersfield, it's what us loyal fans do. 8)

brackley
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:31 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:So much for Griggs optimism about an upsurge in Walsalls fortune.......
Titanic anyone?

It does need strengthening - that is blindingly obvious. The PNE game showed that there is something there to build on but clearly when we need to change things around we just dont have the personnel to turn results!

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:52 pm

Awaiting a congratulations message from the idiots from last week.
Correctly predicted a Tranmere win unfortuantely.
We are rubbish, last week was a one off as I predicted.
Smith out.

brackley
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:58 pm

Just read a report - didnt read too well...............I have to say i am getting bloody annoyed now, in having to read stuff like;

Macken was introduced up front with 25 minutes remaining, replacing the listless Will Grigg.

Deano.......... he aint ready!!!!! send him out on loan........... and replace him with a seasoned striker. You are in real danger of doing a bloody Wenger, its alright developing youth but thats when you have a team with strength in it - WE DONT!!

I will seriously lose it if I see him in the starting line up again :twisted:

bangsection
Site Addict

Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:09 pm

We went to one of the form teams in the division, a side who have kept more clean sheets than any other team in the country and who were, by common consent, unlucky not to win at leaders Charlton last week. We matched them for shots, were the better side in the second half and would have drawn if Taundry's freekick had been two inches lower or Nicholls had kept his head when through at the end. Paterson was superb - best player on the pitch in the second half, including Everton wunderkind Jose Baxter who was anonymous.

Jesus, when did we earn the right to turn up to places like Tranmere, lose our most experienced midfielder early doors and then expect to win the game? And because we didn't we're going down?

Behave yourself.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:19 pm

bangsection wrote:We went to one of the form teams in the division, a side who have kept more clean sheets than any other team in the country and who were, by common consent, unlucky not to win at leaders Charlton last week. We matched them for shots, were the better side in the second half and would have drawn if Taundry's freekick had been two inches lower or Nicholls had kept his head when through at the end. Paterson was superb - best player on the pitch in the second half, including Everton wunderkind Jose Baxter who was anonymous.

Jesus, when did we earn the right to turn up to places like Tranmere, lose our most experienced midfielder early doors and then expect to win the game? And because we didn't we're going down?

Behave yourself.

1. They didnt play Charlton last week, they played Oldham.
2. 5 points from last 12 before they played us, I wouldnt really call one of the form teams, would you?

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:22 pm

Certainly deserved something from the game, but same old same old, we were pretty toothless. Can hardly remember Grigg or Nicholls touching the ball. We at least held our own for most of the match and actually looked more likely to score than them in the second half. They were certainly no better than us and considering their good home record I expected more from them. Defence played well, midfield held its own without creating anything and upront, well not a lot happened. Patterson was our most dangerous player and looked lively at times, looks a good prospect and one of the only players we have who you get the feeling can produce something. Given time and patience he could be a good 'un. The fact we have to rely on an inexperienced kid to produce something is worrying however. Couldn't see them scoring when it was 1-1 but then their left back got down the wing crossed it and hey presto.

Nicholls and Grigg were totally inefective though to be fair to them they had little service. Even so it must have been one of the easiest matches their centre halfs have had in a long time. Looked better once Macken and Claude came on and there was a couple of times when Nicholls was waiting to run onto a through ball that never came, whether he would have done anything with it is another question. Unlucky that Taundry's freekick hit the bar.

We seem to be able to hold our own against teams but are sadly lacking when it comes to creativity and cutting edge. Then again I am sure that's not really news to anybody. Another very disappointing result though the performance wasn't as bad as many so far this season.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:28 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
bangsection wrote:We went to one of the form teams in the division, a side who have kept more clean sheets than any other team in the country and who were, by common consent, unlucky not to win at leaders Charlton last week. We matched them for shots, were the better side in the second half and would have drawn if Taundry's freekick had been two inches lower or Nicholls had kept his head when through at the end. Paterson was superb - best player on the pitch in the second half, including Everton wunderkind Jose Baxter who was anonymous.

Behave yourself.

2. 5 points from last 12 before they played us, I wouldnt really call one of the form teams, would you?

Still a very decent team Sheff, better than our shower anyway.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:30 pm

Darth Vader wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:

Behave yourself.

Not on todays performance they're not.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:33 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:

Behave yourself.

Not on todays performance they're not.

But overall, they are.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:49 pm

Worst team in the world.

brackley
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:13 pm

This is our problem though..........attacking options are limited to the say the least;

Macken, an old fashioned target man he is but he lacks pace and for me hes carrying a bit too much which dont aid his mobility. He kinda reminds me of Trevor Christie, but in them days he had guys around him that would play off him and knew where the back of the net was......

Nicholls showing last week opened my eyes certainly to his potential...... but inconsistency seems to blight his progress and I still maintain he looks more of an attacking midfiled man sat behind the front 2.

Griggs.......... well, i aint gonna go on about this - ive said my piece over n over - HE'S NOT READY!!!!!

and as for Jarvis :roll:

Sorry Deano, but this is our very evident problem. A loan front man is needed BIG TIME!! .......... and then we need to find a permanent solution come January.

Come back Richards, Gray and Ledesma

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:14 pm

King Crimson wrote:Worst team in the world.

Worse than Gadaffi.

17th, I'll take that now.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Re: Re: Tranmere Rovers (A) League 1 Saturday 22/10/11.

Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:23 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
King Crimson wrote:Worst team in the world.

Worse than Gadaffi.

Yep. But we can be the best team in the world again in a few days time.

bangsection
Site Addict

Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:32 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:

Excellent points, well made. A good journalist always checks his facts - although, in my defence, I thought it important to introduce a little balance to proceedings ASAP given the all-too-predictable council of despair that inevitably follows anything other than a win these days. I would imagine that facts, sorry, FACTS, are easier to check in the armchair nerve centre rather than, say, while on the way back from the match. All the best!

CLUELESS! IDIOT! DOOMED! BORING! etc.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Re: Re: Tranmere Rovers (A) League 1 Saturday 22/10/11.

Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:37 pm

bangsection wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:

Excellent points, well made. A good journalist always checks his facts - although, in my defence, I thought it important to introduce a little balance to proceedings ASAP given the all-too-predictable council of despair that inevitably follows anything other than a win these days. I would imagine that facts, sorry, FACTS, are easier to check in the armchair nerve centre rather than, say, while on the way back from the match. All the best!

CLUELESS! IDIOT! DOOMED! BORING! etc.

"Yet More Useless Bangsection Reporting" ?

;)

bangsection
Site Addict

Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:56 pm

Bang goes the Pulitzer! One week out on the Charlton game (had a feeling it might have been two weeks ago when I wrote it) automatically invalidated my entire argument at a stroke. Although I did notice that Tranmere's season-long form currently places them eighth in the table. And I was quite proud of my "more clean sheets than any other team in the four divisions" stat. Corker that!

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:11 pm

bangsection wrote:Bang goes the Pulitzer! One week out on the Charlton game (had a feeling it might have been two weeks ago when I wrote it) automatically invalidated my entire argument at a stroke. Although I did notice that Tranmere's season-long form currently places them eighth in the table. And I was quite proud of my "more clean sheets than any other team in the four divisions" stat. Corker that!

I fear you may be in store for another of the relentless serves from the human table tennis machine. :D

bangsection
Site Addict

Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:18 pm

Ping

Pong

Ping

Pong

(Repeat)

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:21 pm

I think that was only the second game this season where I've come away thinking we've got less than we deserved from the game (Sheff Utd being the other). I think we deserved a point and were unlucky not to get one from what was a depressingly poor game.

They carried the bigger attacking threat in the first half but Manny and Butler at the back were rock solid throughout, and we limited them to just two notable shots on target; one from a freekick which produced a worldy save from Wacka, and a snap shot from inside the area that arguably produced an even better one. However, after half time I thought we were the better team. There first goal was a good finish, but came at a bad time as the home crowd were starting to get on their players backs, but we failed to use that to our advantage. Deano replaced Grigg and Hurst with Macken and Gnakpa, which I think were the correct calls. Our equaliser came from a Paterson corner (which he had forced himself by forcing their keeper into a full length tip round the post) which found its way back to him and on the second cross, Butler rose to level it at 1-1. At that point I thought that was how it would finish, and if either side would nick it then it would probably be us. Then there winner came which was a real kick in the teeth as we didn't deserve to be behind. That said, we only then had one chance to equalise and that was Taundry's free kick which struck the angle of post and bar and bounced away.

Walker - Two top class saves in the first half, don't think he could do anything bout the goal.
Westlake - Weakest player on the day, but still not hopelessly poor.
Sadler - Steady and reliable, his usual game.
Butler - MOTM, immense and solid at the back.
Smith - Equally solid, but Butlers goal edges him the MOTM vote.
Chambers - Was doing well until injury prematurely ended his game.
Peterlin - Pick of the midfielders, adds some much needed energy to the side.
Hurst - I thought he was poor and, playing on the right, contributed to how poor Westlake was. No surprise to see him replaced
Paterson - Best attacking player. Claimed an assist for the goal and forced a good save from their keeper. Gets stuck in too for someone so slight.
Grigg - Tried to play the Macken role, but could probably do with watching how Macken does it. That said, he does seem to be trying to add hard work to his game in recent weeks.
Nicholls - Not as good as last week, but was never likely to be. Did work hard and did pick up a knock in the first half that may have affected his game.

Subs

Taundry - Slotted in well to midfield, played better than the performances that saw him dropped.
Macken - Added some muscle to the front line, would play him upfront with Nicholls on Tuesday
Gnakpa - Again, added a bit of muscle to the team but didn't really do a lot.

Lone Striker

Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:28 pm

One step forward last Saturday and two back today. First half a couple of good saves by Walker, one looking top draw to push free kick around the post, while we created very little going forward. Paterson looked lively in the middle third of the pitch without ever hurting them where it really counts. Losing Chambers was a blow as again him and Peterlin are proving to be the best combination in central midfield, we just do not have the same composure in central areas when Taundry is on the pitch. To be honest the game looked like a classic 0-0 at half time as both teams just cancelled each other out.

Not sure about their first goal but looked like we were exposed at right back, not for the first time this season, and having got back into the game with 15 minutes left proceeded to concede another goal from the same area of the pitch when Westlake was missing completely for their wide player to cross for a simple tap in. Having got back to 1-1 we should have been going home with at least a point but poor defending cost us dearly today.

Going forward very few positives to take away from today's game, Grigg and Nicholls are just too lightweight as a front two and that along with a lack of creativity from either wide or central midfield results in very few chances going forward. Individual errors at the back cost us today as they did not cause us many problems, overall the real frustration is that we should have taken a point from the game and did not.

bangsection
Site Addict

Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:08 pm

As accurate a summing up as ever, Priestley. I actually thought Smith was the better of our two centre halves today but not by much. Hopefully they're settled as our first choice partnership. I'd have given Paterson MOTM just because it was wonderful to see a kid express himself so fearlessly. Shame we might not be able to produce kids like him in the future. Macken and Nicholls should start on Tuesday night and may actually be our best front two. Disappointing to lose today but undoubtedly positives to take into Tuesday's game.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:07 pm

Settling defensive partnership, a promising young player and Grigg has gone crap since he cut his hair. He should learn Don Goodmans lesson.

Dissapointing by sounds of it, wont care if we get three on Tuesday.

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:04 pm

Driving home through stafford this evening it seemed as though we were very poor first half and got back into it the second. the subs did n't improve the team either. When asked about gnapka it was said that he would offer more off the bench and not a ninety minute player as he has a problem following instructions. They also mentioned that when we get back to the flowing football we are capable of we seem to lack defensively and that was for dean to redress the balance.

Despite our small squad i can't seem to remember when we kept the same 11 for a run of games whether due to suspension or injury. The constant chopping and changing i feel is not helping

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:11 pm

If Gnakpa put 50 quid behind the bar for me, i still wouldnt think he was any good.

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:37 am

We are rubbish; weak poor players and disappointing performances are the norm now. Can't say it's suprising considering the below average players in this squad and without Walker, Butler and Macken we would be bottom by now. Faint hope of a decent player in Paterson and I can only hope that we might get a few games out of him before he is sold.
I'll take 20th position now.

Not sure what other people see in the opposition, they deserved to win because they were simply better than us and if it wasn't for two magnificent saves by Walker we would have been dead and buried by half time. We can't hold onto the ball, midfield is weak and ineffective; no creativity, strength or drive in any of the players.

Same old, same old but with no hope of improvement. No doubt we will be expecting a win on Tuesday because 'the opposition are poor', 'we should be beating teams like Exeter', 'if Nicholls gets a chance etc etc' if this if that etc, etc.

Walsall 6 Exeter City 0. Nicholls to score all six because he's got pace.

:|

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:49 am

latviancheese wrote:Dissapointing by sounds of it, wont care if we get three on Tuesday.

Rubbish! Any fan would be happy if we get three points on Tuesday, even if we aren't jumping around the lounge about it.

Think you were on the pop last night! :D

PreviousNext
Return to 2011-12 Season