Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Tranmere Rovers (A) League 1 Saturday 22/10/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Re: Re: Tranmere Rovers (A) League 1 Saturday 22/10/11.

Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:54 am

Jolly Johnny wrote:
latviancheese wrote:Dissapointing by sounds of it, wont care if we get three on Tuesday.

Rubbish! Any fan would be happy if we get three points on Tuesday, even if we aren't jumping around the lounge about it.

Think you were on the pop last night! :D

Dow think that's what he meant, kidda.

brackley
UTS Veteran

Re: Tranmere Rovers (A) League 1 Saturday 22/10/11.

Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:43 am

Having seen the goals on the box, their first goal looked a decent finish although we seemed to be slow in shutting him down when the ball was pulled back for him to take a clean strike - Wacka no chance.....

Second goal, we just got carved open and was smacks of previous frailties of not picking the runners up and making sure they dont got a cross in unchallenged.

Once Chambers is absent from the middle of the park it does make us look vulnerable and Taundry struggles to dictate play and boss it.......

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:45 am

mmmmmm not too good is it?
Lets face it, we are very much one of the poor relations of our division, 'cannon fodder' for the 'rich' clubs milling around the top & play off places, seems like a copy of the 'us and them' aspect of the Premiership.
With gates of just over 3,000 on average (lots of clubs would take that much revenue from thier programme sales & kiosks!)
we will always have to exist on cast offs/also rans & 'not quite good enoughs' to fill our squad. Little wonder we exist at the bottom half of the League on a constant basis, proping ourselves up with occasional wins against the likes of Exeter at home (we hope!).
Can't see things improving unless someone can inject a spark of enthusiasm from the residents of Walsall borough (which incidentally is still registered as one of the largest populated towns in the UK!)
I note that a good number of UTS contributors, like myself, are no longer resident in gurrole Worsull...perhaps that may be a factor about gates at the Bezza. Someone, somewhere has to come up with a masterplan to improve gates...remember the days of Fellows Park guys, with regular gates of 12,000 + where have they all gone? Surely they can't all be dead or exiled?
Discuss perhaps?

brackley
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:16 pm

thats a fair challenge............

I now live in Northants...... but make the fortnightly pilgrimage to the bezza (plus away games) and me dad travels from newbury at the age of 78!!

I do think there is a disconnect between the locals and the club............ the club has lost its way on the commercial side, adopting activities that may have served it well throughout the 80's but change is necessary without any doubt - Whalley has had his days and was the big contributing reason for why he was displaced - most defionately the CORRECT decison ! . ...... to be fair whats Gamble doing???? ........ Football in the community efforts seem to be a long way off other clubs that I see, to increase a clubs fan base you need to infiltrate youth at a very young age - I just dont see it, or certianly not consistently enough or effectively.........

£16.50 aint cheap, but then compared to some clubs its not bad. The other problem is that you got WBA, Dingles n Villa all in the Premerrship....... not to mention Brum in the Championship. To some I hear only too often that Walsall are there 2nd club when they should be there FIRST n ONLY club........ but thats down to the Chairman and management to build some vision and ambition to attract the arm-chair supporters back to the terraces. WE ARE A MASSIVE TOWN ...... and we should be doing far better than a poxy 4,000 to every home game.

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:38 pm

After the man city villa game last week radio WM had a reporter in the car park and were asking about the views of the game. it made me mad listening to the people they were speaking too. A good majority of them were well within the catchment area of walsall.

Stoke do something with the kids at seven years old where they give each kid a shirt, tickets to a game and a presentation with a player.

Thats the sort if thing we should be doing. obviously stoke can afford to do that with the money they have but perhaps we should offer every family one free game a year from birth to bring the kid along and attempt to build a rapport from an early age

brackley
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:56 pm

definately............ we need some innovation!!

kids are the future...............we need to take pride in Walsall and make it the envy of the rest of the Midlands and that me speaking n i was born in bloody Reading. All my fathers side of the family are from Walsall, Pelsall, Rushall, Alderidge n one or two more are from over the wrong side of the M6. I'd die for this club, through thick n thin......... its part of my heritage/history ........ it needs energy and some focus :evil:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:42 pm

brackley wrote:definately............ we need some innovation!!

kids are the future...............we need to take pride in Walsall and make it the envy of the rest of the Midlands and that me speaking n i was born in bloody Reading. All my fathers side of the family are from Walsall, Pelsall, Rushall, Alderidge n one or two more are from over the wrong side of the M6. I'd die for this club, through thick n thin......... its part of my heritage/history ........ it needs energy and some focus :evil:

Great to see such positive responses from the likes of yourself and 'rich evans' above.
I too would die for my beloved club..your fortnightly trip to the Bezza and your dads similar trips are highly comendable indeed (Where do you find the money for the petrol!)..it's such a pity that the 'management' don't have the same attitude
to what is in essence the 'slow drip' of a dying club. :(

brackley
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:52 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:

Great to see such positive responses from the likes of yourself and 'rich evans' above.
I too would die for my beloved club..your fortnightly trip to the Bezza and your dads similar trips are highly comendable indeed (Where do you find the money for the petrol!)..it's such a pity that the 'management' don't have the same attitude

....... the perks of a company car and fuel card! :D

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:56 pm

Rich Evans wrote:After the man city villa game last week radio WM had a reporter in the car park and were asking about the views of the game. it made me mad listening to the people they were speaking too. A good majority of them were well within the catchment area of walsall.

Stoke do something with the kids at seven years old where they give each kid a shirt, tickets to a game and a presentation with a player.

Thats the sort if thing we should be doing. obviously stoke can afford to do that with the money they have but perhaps we should offer every family one free game a year from birth to bring the kid along and attempt to build a rapport from an early age

The club did great with my youngest been free and the eldest getting 2 quid back every game. The only downside to this is that they have actually seen the games and have now been bored silly.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:40 pm

brackley wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

....... the perks of a company car and fuel card! :D

:lol: Fair play my son!

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:44 pm

Disappointing performance yesterday. It seemed that the only player that knew that to get to their goal you have to go fowards was Paterson. He was by far our brightest player. No one played particulary badly, but the centre midfielders were anonymous most of the time.

Walker - 2 great saves first half, 1 second half.
Westlake - Weak at times, not awful though.
Smith - Solid enough most of the time.
Butler - same as Smith.
Sadler - quiet, suppose he did his job.
Paterson - best player, the only one who went foward with the ball. Was really unlucky not to score, but Butler scored from the corner anyway.
Chambers - we looked more solid before he went off.
Peterlin - quiet. unlucky not to score in the first half (i think?)
Hurst - quiet, a few good balls in though.
Grigg - very quiet, forgot he was playing.
Nicholls - same as Grigg, had a chance late on that he didnt take.

Taundry - again, quiet, very unlucky not to score his freekick.
Macken - held the ball up quite well, but had no one to give it to.
Gnakpa - bad first touch, didnt do much when he had the ball.

Referee was crud too!

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:49 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:mmmmmm not too good is it?
Lets face it, we are very much one of the poor relations of our division, 'cannon fodder' for the 'rich' clubs milling around the top & play off places, seems like a copy of the 'us and them' aspect of the Premiership.
With gates of just over 3,000 on average (lots of clubs would take that much revenue from thier programme sales & kiosks!)
we will always have to exist on cast offs/also rans & 'not quite good enoughs' to fill our squad. Little wonder we exist at the bottom half of the League on a constant basis, proping ourselves up with occasional wins against the likes of Exeter at home (we hope!).
Can't see things improving unless someone can inject a spark of enthusiasm from the residents of Walsall borough (which incidentally is still registered as one of the largest populated towns in the UK!)
I note that a good number of UTS contributors, like myself, are no longer resident in gurrole Worsull...perhaps that may be a factor about gates at the Bezza. Someone, somewhere has to come up with a masterplan to improve gates...remember the days of Fellows Park guys, with regular gates of 12,000 + where have they all gone? Surely they can't all be dead or exiled?
Discuss perhaps?

It's been discussed to death many times over, but as far as my "family seven" (who all used to be season ticket holders in the old-gits stand for many many years) are concerned, the relevant words that describe why we no longer attend are "Bonser" and "rent".

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:33 pm

Yeah and how much was it to get in in those days?

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:30 am

latviancheese wrote:Yeah and how much was it to get in in those days?

Not really the point though mate, if we charge £0.00 for the MK Dons game this Saturday we'd still get no f**ker entering Bezza.

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:58 am

tinned wrote:
Rich Evans wrote:After the man city villa game last week radio WM had a reporter in the car park and were asking about the views of the game. it made me mad listening to the people they were speaking too. A good majority of them were well within the catchment area of walsall.

The club did great with my youngest been free and the eldest getting 2 quid back every game. The only downside to this is that they have actually seen the games and have now been bored silly.

I think so much emphasis is based on "Bonser" and "Rent" that this issue gets overlooked, and is probably an even bigger concern. Clubs in the prem can get away with playing boring football, because the fact they are playing Man Utd, City, Arsenal, Chelsea etc is a big enough crowd puller as it is. If we had a home game against one of those sides we'd sell out too, regardless of how God damn awful we were playing. But League 1 games with League 1 players don't have the pulling power which is why the fans need to be entertained. Unfortunately, for the most part, we're not being.

bangsection
Site Addict

Tranmere Rovers (A) League 1 Saturday 22/10/11.

Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:33 am

The club are right to focus on the next generation of fans but even with free tickets it's a hard sell given the insidious Premier League brainwashing. Walsall's national media exposure runs to 30 seconds of highlights in the early hours of Sunday morning and 100 words in the tabloids. Good luck finding your Richard Taundry Match Attax card free with this week's Sun.

Competing with the blanket coverage of the Big Five, not to mention the big local clubs, is hugely difficult. To be fair, other than parental influence, how do kids end up supporting Walsall? It's a miracle to be honest and I've got nothing but admiration for a kid from Walsall who decides to support them - especially when peer pressure picks out anyone who is different. Look at FBIG's post on the ManU - Citeh thread: two Walsall fans and one Wolves fan out of all the kids that he teaches. In Leamore!

It's a crying shame because I still believe that in the long term it's much more fun supporting your local team than just being another know-nothing plank spilling Carling on your replica top in Bar Sport. And the moral superiority is unbeatable.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:37 am

priestley_saddler wrote:I think so much emphasis is based on "Bonser" and "Rent" that this issue gets overlooked, and is probably an even bigger concern. Clubs in the prem can get away with playing boring football, because the fact they are playing Man Utd, City, Arsenal, Chelsea etc is a big enough crowd puller as it is. If we had a home game against one of those sides we'd sell out too, regardless of how God damn awful we were playing. But League 1 games with League 1 players don't have the pulling power which is why the fans need to be entertained. Unfortunately, for the most part, we're not being.

True enough.

In 2003/04 when we had Colin Lee as manager there were some fans who criticised the style of play, and our results were not great (although Lee kept us clear of the relegation zone until he was sacked with four matches to go) but our gates were the highest since 1967/68. Our third consecutive season playing teams at that level, the signing of Merson, and a sense that the owner was fully backing the team all helped to produce record breaking gates. Had that continued then the gates would have continued gradually to rise.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:50 am

Would it be too simplistic to conclude...

...succeed or entertain trying?

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:29 pm

261 Saddlers at PP btw...

brackley
UTS Veteran

Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:20 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:
Discuss perhaps?

It's been discussed to death many times over, but as far as my "family seven" (who all used to be season ticket holders in the old-gits stand for many many years) are concerned, the relevant words that describe why we no longer attend are "Bonser" and "rent".

At the end of the day we all make our choice what we do with the cash in our pockets - and no one should judge either way....... although I can not help feeling a degree of 'do 2 wrongs make a right' ? We already know that Deano has one arm tied behind his back, question is....... by staying away do we completelty handicap Deano and the lads to the point where it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Look at Man Utd, not the happiest of marriages with the Glaziers........ they turn up regardless week in week out and show their discontent by wearing green scraves :roll: ........ perhaps not the best of direct comparisons, but my point is that surely this is our club regardless of Bonser and we should unite and stand shoulder to shoulder. Our support is for the team, that come 3pm on a Saturday we want to see win and win in style....... I just find it incredibly sad and only 'we' can change this sorry state of affairs :cry:

Lets not forget that Wacka came back to WFC because of the affinity he has with the club; what must he be thinking right now ........ a return to a lifeless bezza, a shadow of its former greatness and the fear to many an opposition. Wacka hasnt got many more seasons left in him, surely we owe it to him given his service to us all over the years - we have a great opportunity to give something back to him and to make him feel that he made the right decision leaving SPURS to come back to the MIGHTY SADDLERS!!!! :oops:

Lets put our differences with the owners behind us and stand in our rightful place come Saturday!! :D

brackley
UTS Veteran

Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:23 pm

latviancheese wrote:Yeah and how much was it to get in in those days?

...... early 80's it would have been £2.50 Adults and £1.00 for kids if memory serves me right :wink:

brackley
UTS Veteran

Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:25 pm

Bernie wrote:
priestley_saddler wrote:I think so much emphasis is based on "Bonser" and "Rent" that this issue gets overlooked, and is probably an even bigger concern. Clubs in the prem can get away with playing boring football, because the fact they are playing Man Utd, City, Arsenal, Chelsea etc is a big enough crowd puller as it is. If we had a home game against one of those sides we'd sell out too, regardless of how God damn awful we were playing. But League 1 games with League 1 players don't have the pulling power which is why the fans need to be entertained. Unfortunately, for the most part, we're not being.

True enough.

In 2003/04 when we had Colin Lee as manager there were some fans who criticised the style of play, and our results were not great (although Lee kept us clear of the relegation zone until he was sacked with four matches to go) but our gates were the highest since 1967/68. Our third consecutive season playing teams at that level, the signing of Merson, and a sense that the owner was fully backing the team all helped to produce record breaking gates. Had that continued then the gates would have continued gradually to rise.

........ and lets not forget Vinny Samways (albeit on loan) - could not believe it when he turned up at the bezza!

brackley
UTS Veteran

Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:37 pm

bangsection wrote:The club are right to focus on the next generation of fans but even with free tickets it's a hard sell given the insidious Premier League brainwashing. Walsall's national media exposure runs to 30 seconds of highlights in the early hours of Sunday morning and 100 words in the tabloids. Good luck finding your Richard Taundry Match Attax card free with this week's Sun.

Competing with the blanket coverage of the Big Five, not to mention the big local clubs, is hugely difficult. To be fair, other than parental influence, how do kids end up supporting Walsall? It's a miracle to be honest and I've got nothing but admiration for a kid from Walsall who decides to support them - especially when peer pressure picks out anyone who is different. Look at FBIG's post on the ManU - Citeh thread: two Walsall fans and one Wolves fan out of all the kids that he teaches. In Leamore!

It's a crying shame because I still believe that in the long term it's much more fun supporting your local team than just being another know-nothing plank spilling Carling on your replica top in Bar Sport. And the moral superiority is unbeatable.

A cracking post 'bangsection' ......... I agree whole-heartedly. Having been born in Reading and supporting Walsall as a lad was character building and quite frankly I did not give a flying f*ck what anybody else thought......... and when we beat the Arsenal and then rocked the mighty Liverpool I wore my top with pride and I was the only voice that could be herd in that playground as they all ran for cover :P

and then............. the absolute pinnacle of pinnacles - a trip to the Millenium against READING!!!! Sir Ray, I owe you a personal debt of gratitude cos I lived on that for months and months and months :D

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:03 pm

brackley wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:
Discuss perhaps?

At the end of the day we all make our choice what we do with the cash in our pockets - and no one should judge either way....... although I can not help feeling a degree of 'do 2 wrongs make a right' ? We already know that Deano has one arm tied behind his back, question is....... by staying away do we completelty handicap Deano and the lads to the point where it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Look at Man Utd, not the happiest of marriages with the Glaziers........ they turn up regardless week in week out and show their discontent by wearing green scraves :roll: ........ perhaps not the best of direct comparisons, but my point is that surely this is our club regardless of Bonser and we should unite and stand shoulder to shoulder. Our support is for the team, that come 3pm on a Saturday we want to see win and win in style....... I just find it incredibly sad and only 'we' can change this sorry state of affairs :cry:

Lets not forget that Wacka came back to WFC because of the affinity he has with the club; what must he be thinking right now ........ a return to a lifeless bezza, a shadow of its former greatness and the fear to many an opposition. Wacka hasnt got many more seasons left in him, surely we owe it to him given his service to us all over the years - we have a great opportunity to give something back to him and to make him feel that he made the right decision leaving SPURS to come back to the MIGHTY SADDLERS!!!! :oops:

Lets put our differences with the owners behind us and stand in our rightful place come Saturday!! :D

wise words. I hate Bonser and what he done to our club with a passion. I know dozens of people who have stopped going cos of Bonser. Way I look at it why cut your nose off to spite your face? I am a Saddler, I grew up going home and away with Wasall. Don't get to as many matches as I used to but when I get the chance I am there. Always have done, always will do. I refuse to let a leach like Bonser spoil my love of WFC. Supporting another team is not an option. UTS

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:36 pm

Sarkozy Out!

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:38 pm

Wyrley_saddler wrote:Sarkozy Out!

Burberry in.

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:40 pm

grthw46qa9y wrote:
Wyrley_saddler wrote:Sarkozy Out!

Louis Vuitton's ugg boots in!

Fixed that!

Previous
Return to 2011-12 Season