Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Preston North End (H) League 1 Saturday 15/10/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Re: Preston North End (H) League 1 Saturday 15/10/11.

Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:26 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:Could I ask the reason why people are predicting a Walsall win?
Stand back and look at what you are saying. :roll:
Walsall 1 Preston 5.

I think they were predicting a Walsall win because they felt it was a possibility yesterday, Sheff.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:20 pm

King Crimson wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:Could I ask the reason why people are predicting a Walsall win?
Walsall 1 Preston 5.

I think they were predicting a Walsall win because they felt it was a possibility yesterday, Sheff.

Another example of how Sheff knows nothing about football.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:22 pm

Saarland Saddler wrote:
King Crimson wrote:
Walsall 1 Preston 5.

He possibly forgot that part.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:28 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
Saarland Saddler wrote:
King Crimson wrote:
Walsall 1 Preston 5.

Coming from someone who predicted 7-0. Idiot.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:30 pm

Saarland Saddler wrote:
King Crimson wrote:
Walsall 1 Preston 5.

Really.
And what were you 2 predictions...... Oh yes, naff all. You didnt hvae the guts to make any. What a bunch of gutless people you are.

P.S there are a lot of people who know nothing about football looking at the thread above.

Idiots both of you.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:32 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
Saarland Saddler wrote:
King Crimson wrote:
Walsall 1 Preston 5.

Coming from someone who predicted 7-0. Idiot.

You're not good at noticing a pisstake are you? Then again, you've got to serve up Wendy tomorrow. Again.
Last edited by Fray Bentos is God! on Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:33 pm

Idiot. Nnnnnggghhh. FACT. Nggggghhhh. Clueless. Nnnnnnggghhhh.

Christ, at least Special Kev can dance.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:34 pm

You're not good at noticing a pisstake are you? Then again, you've got to serve up Wendy tomorrow. Again.

Yes, with my lawyers and policeman friends. :lol:

bigbadsad
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:20 pm

my ratings...agree or disagree??

WALKER-6 ( only because he had nothing to do :D )

SADLER-7
BUTLER-8
SMITH-8
WESTLAKE-6.5

HURST-7.5
CHAMBERS-8
PETERLIN-7
MARTIN-7

GRIGG-7
NICHOLLS-9

TAUNDRY-6
GNAPKA-6

brackley
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:30 pm

bigbadsad wrote:my ratings...agree or disagree??

WALKER-6 ( only because he had nothing to do :D )

SADLER-7
BUTLER-8
SMITH-8
WESTLAKE-6.5

HURST-7.5
CHAMBERS-8
PETERLIN-7
MARTIN-7

GRIGG-7
NICHOLLS-9

TAUNDRY-6
GNAPKA-6

..........totally agree!! Butler, Smith, Chambers and Nicholls were definately the pick for me too

SWS1

Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:57 pm

SWS1 wrote::D :D :D :D :D
Oh, deep joy delightyfold.

Of course, I forgot to thank Professor Stanley Unwin.
Thank you, Prof.
:D

Mal
UTS Veteran

Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:28 am

I think Peterlins input has been somewhat overlooked due to the high level of performance from others, but for me he made us tick, made the right choices when needed i.e. short pass or hoof to the corner when under pressure. very much like how he and Chambers played together against Wolves

One final mention to Alex Nicholls who I have slagged off on many occassions maybe after five years as a pro he realises what he has and as per Saturday used it to great effect, PACE! Knowing that he is in the last year of his contract and the conference beckons is probably an incentive! But all the same the best game he has ever played in a Saddlers shirt in my view

fatboyslim
UTS Veteran

Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:14 am

Great win at the weekend. Good peformances all over the pitch. Preston were poor, you can judge their style of play just by looking at the size of their squad.....some bloody monsters in there!!

Walker - nothing to do really
Westlake - coped well with early pressure and much better to see him in there as opposed to Beevers
Smith - oustanding, probably one of the best games I have seen him play and MOTM contender
Butler - also outstanding and back up to expected levels of performance
Sadler - steady after a poor showing against Wycombe
Hurst - great through ball for the goal and did okay but still needs to get to the byeline more and try and beat his man
Peterlin - a lot of unseen work and battled well but lacks any creativity which is what we desperately require
Chambers - very impressive at breaking down play and battled hard. Needs to make sure he isn't too 'headless chicken' but would be good with a creative midfielder alongside him.
Martin - did okay in parts but still not sold on him considering he is a championship player. Same issues as with Hurst.
Grigg - feel sorry for him when most of the ball he receives is in the air when he is getting marked by a huge defender with Premier League experience in Clarke Carlisle who dealth with everything in the air all day agaisnt both strikers. Give him the ball to feet and he is head and shoulders above any other player on the pitch in terms of touch and passing. Shame the tactics are so direct! He has a 'relaxed' style but doesn't mean he doesn't work hard as some people like to point out.
Nicholls - pleased he got the goal and worked reall hard. Great finish after nearly messing up the chance! 1 game and opinions have changed :roll: Hope he can do it more consistently going forward. Probably played better on his own with 20 mins to go than he did as a 2.

Taundry - obvious substituion with the red card. Broke up play well in the middle.
Gnapka - not much time to do anything.

Overall it is a much needed 3 points and should give us confidence going into the 3 games next week. I see no reason why we can't get 7 points from the 3 games. Good luck lads.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:11 pm

fatboyslim wrote:Grigg - feel sorry for him when most of the ball he receives is in the air when he is getting marked by a huge defender with Premier League experience in Clarke Carlisle who dealth with everything in the air all day agaisnt both strikers. Give him the ball to feet and he is head and shoulders above any other player on the pitch in terms of touch and passing. Shame the tactics are so direct! He has a 'relaxed' style but doesn't mean he doesn't work hard as some people like to point out.

How could anyone think that? When has Grigg ever shown great touch or passing? Average touch and passing perhaps and he can take a goal now and then, but ...

fatboyslim
UTS Veteran

Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:19 pm

Bernie wrote:
fatboyslim wrote:Grigg - feel sorry for him when most of the ball he receives is in the air when he is getting marked by a huge defender with Premier League experience in Clarke Carlisle who dealth with everything in the air all day agaisnt both strikers. Give him the ball to feet and he is head and shoulders above any other player on the pitch in terms of touch and passing. Shame the tactics are so direct! He has a 'relaxed' style but doesn't mean he doesn't work hard as some people like to point out.

How could anyone think that? When has Grigg ever shown great touch or passing? Average touch and passing perhaps and he can take a goal now and then, but ...

Were you at the game on Saturday? Struggled when ball came to hsi ehad, everything into his feet was controlled and passed on sometimes 1st touch but kept the ball flowing. Genuinely think he has the best touch in the team. So are you saying he hasn't got a great touch and isn't a good passer? What a surprise you are the 1st person to comment on this....... :roll:

Bernie
UTS Legend

Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:03 pm

I am really puzzled by the idea that Grigg has anything better than average touch and passing for a league one forward, so we will just have to disagree there. I certainly saw no evidence for it on Saturday. Did Alex Nicholls benefit from any of these wonderful passes when he was alongside him on Saturday? If so I did not see it. In fact when Grigg and Martin (another one who seems to have been over-praised for his efforts) left the pitch we hardly noticed their absence.

Nicholls - pleased he got the goal and worked reall hard. Great finish after nearly messing up the chance! 1 game and opinions have changed :roll: Hope he can do it more consistently going forward. Probably played better on his own with 20 mins to go than he did as a 2.

As for Nicholls, whose opinions have changed? Only an idiot would change their opinions about a player who has made getting on for 200 first team appearances. I know he has pace and that he always gives 100% and is probably a better option than either Jarvis or Grigg. But that does not mean I think he is good enough to be a regular striker at this level. After all before last week he had not scored since 2 February and had made 26 consecutive goal-free appearances.

fatboyslim
UTS Veteran

Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:18 pm

I am really puzzled by the idea that Grigg has anything better than average touch and passing for a league one forward, so we will just have to disagree there. I certainly saw no evidence for it on Saturday. Did Alex Nicholls benefit from any of these wonderful passes when he was alongside him on Saturday? If so I did not see it. In fact when Grigg and Martin (another one who seems to have been over-praised for his efforts) left the pitch we hardly noticed their absence.

Every time he got the ball to feet we were able to get at their defenders. Every time it was in the air the ball came straight back! The formation changed when the forced sub was made and Preston didn't get at us as much as they should so can't compare.

As for Nicholls, whose opinions have changed? Only an idiot would change their opinions about a player who has made getting on for 200 first team appearances. I know he has pace and that he always gives 100% and is probably a better option than either Jarvis or Grigg. But that does not mean I think he is good enough to be a regular striker at this level. After all before last week he had not scored since 2 February and had made 26 consecutive goal-free appearances.

Why is he a better option than Grigg then? Quite a few people opinions seem to have changed if you read the posts on here!! Do you think I aim every post at you or something?

Bernie
UTS Legend

Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:47 pm

Whose opinions about Nicholls have changed? I cannot see anyone who has said that they have changed their mind about him. If anyone has, based on just one match, then he is an idiot. It is true that some fans have short memories, but surely nobody has forgotten all Nicholls's previous games.

Nicholls played quite well and because of his goal he deserved to be called man of the match, but I cannot see anyone who thinks that he has suddenly become a good enough player to lead our attack every week. He took his goal well, but we have seen him often enough to know that he will never be a reliable goal scorer. He chased around and caused their rather slow defenders some trouble. On the negative side he was frequently caught offside, which is unforgivable for a player of his experience.

I assume that everybody knows that it was an above average game for him, not typical of his general standard of performance. One good match should not make us forget the previous 181. It says a lot about the sad state of our squad that he is probably the best option to partner Macken.

fatboyslim
UTS Veteran

Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:58 pm

Bernie wrote:Whose opinions about Nicholls have changed? I cannot see anyone who has said that they have changed their mind about him. If anyone has, based on just one match, then he is an idiot. It is true that some fans have short memories, but surely nobody has forgotten all Nicholls's previous games.

Nicholls played quite well and because of his goal he deserved to be called man of the match, but I cannot see anyone who thinks that he has suddenly become a good enough player to lead our attack every week. He took his goal well, but we have seen him often enough to know that he will never be a reliable goal scorer. He chased around and caused their rather slow defenders some trouble. On the negative side he was frequently caught offside, which is unforgivable for a player of his experience.

I assume that everybody knows that it was an above average game for him, not typical of his general standard of performance. One good match should not make us forget the previous 181. It says a lot about the sad state of our squad that he is probably the best option to partner Macken.

Exactly my point - I have read what people have been saying about his 1 performance and sugested they have been jumping to conclusions. Your comment has corroberated mine if anything so not sure what you are getting at really!!

I don't think he is the best partner for Macken, I think Grigg is. My first choice would always be Grigg and Macken. If Macken isn't fit then it would be Grigg and Nicholls. Jarvis would be a last choice behind all 3. I would also argue though that there is no point classing Macken as our first choice striker until he is fit enough to play!!

Bernie
UTS Legend

Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:38 pm

fatboyslim wrote:I don't think he is the best partner for Macken, I think Grigg is. My first choice would always be Grigg and Macken. If Macken isn't fit then it would be Grigg and Nicholls. Jarvis would be a last choice behind all 3. I would also argue though that there is no point classing Macken as our first choice striker until he is fit enough to play!!

What about Paterson as the best partner for Macken? I can see that Paterson needs a strong player alongside him and might struggle alongside Grigg, Jarvis or Nicholls, but from what I have seen of him, he is the Walsall forward with the best touch and passing. He also seems to have a very quick football brain which is invaluable in a striker. The one thing in Paterson's game that is only average is his speed. Some people assume that because he is very small he must be fast, but I doubt if he is any quicker than Martin or Hurst, so I think it likely that he will end up as a striker rather than a winger.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:39 pm

Bernie wrote:
fatboyslim wrote:I don't think he is the best partner for Macken, I think Grigg is. My first choice would always be Grigg and Macken. If Macken isn't fit then it would be Grigg and Nicholls. Jarvis would be a last choice behind all 3. I would also argue though that there is no point classing Macken as our first choice striker until he is fit enough to play!!

What about Paterson as the best partner for Macken? I can see that Paterson needs a strong player alongside him and might struggle alongside Grigg, Jarvis or Nicholls, but from what I have seen of him, he is the Walsall forward with the best touch and passing. He also seems to have a very quick football brain which is invaluable in a striker. The one thing in Paterson's game that is only average is his speed. Some people assume that because he is very small he must be fast, but I doubt if he is any quicker than Martin or Hurst, so I think it likely that he will end up as a striker rather than a winger.

He is also far too lightweight.

fatboyslim
UTS Veteran

Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:45 pm

Bernie wrote:

Don't agree. He has a decent touch yes and is tricky but definitely best out on the wing, he would get battered by the defenders in this league. Grigg has a good footballing brain too. I think he will end up top scorer in the squad this season. You say that the ONE thing in Paterson's game which is average, i.e. the only weakness he has!!!!!!!, is that he isn't quick enough........seems like a ridiculous statement to make considering he has only played a handful of games and has performed well on 2-3 occassions. If he only has 1 weakness then surely he should be 1st choice striker even ahead of Macken! Crazy talk.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:44 pm

fatboyslim wrote:Don't agree. He has a decent touch yes and is tricky but definitely best out on the wing, he would get battered by the defenders in this league. Grigg has a good footballing brain too. I think he will end up top scorer in the squad this season. You say that the ONE thing in Paterson's game which is average, i.e. the only weakness he has!!!!!!!, is that he isn't quick enough........seems like a ridiculous statement to make considering he has only played a handful of games and has performed well on 2-3 occassions. If he only has 1 weakness then surely he should be 1st choice striker even ahead of Macken! Crazy talk.

I thought you would take his lack of physical presence and heading ability as read.

Jarvis, Grigg and Nicholls are a lot bigger than Paterson, but that does not stop them being bullied by the opposition defenders all afternoon, and rarely if ever winning a contested ball in the air. I would not want Paterson to be partnered with them, but with an experienced ball winner alongside him then he could certainly hold his own. You are too young to remember Alan Buckley, but he was about the same height as Paterson (although admittedly he was a bit bulkier at his prime). Like Paterson he lacked real pace in a straight line, but his quickness of thought and speed over the first metre made him a handful for big defenders. However to be successful Buckley always needed a big bloke alongside him, such as Bernie Wright or George Andrews.

Incidentally, who writes the player profiles for the official site? They have Paterson down as 5'9". If you believe that...

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:22 pm

Couldn't make the game, but delighted if surprised on hearing the result.

No-one will be more chuffed than I will if Nicholls gets 15-20 goals this season and proves himself at this level. I'm not going to have the wool pulled over my eyes by one good performance, but if he realises the standards he's now set (by all accounts his best performance in a Walsall shirt) then maybe we'll see an improved player. One thing's for sure, we don't have the case to go out and buy a pacy striker to play alongside Macken, so Nicholls will get a pile of chances this season to show why he should be that man.

I'm not all that surprised that our performances have steadily improved over recent weeks. Peterlin and Chambers is a combination that works, so I'd only question why it took Smith to take so long to try the combination.

We're not all that bad at the back either really. We rarely concede more than one, which means that finding our scoring boots should be the key to a decent season.

Saturday's result was brilliant. Not enough to suggest we'll be making a race for the playoffs, but certainly enough to suggest that the side can do it - even if many (myself included) have doubts over the collective quality of the players in the squad.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:28 pm

Bernie wrote:... However to be successful Buckley always needed a big bloke alongside him, such as Bernie Wright or George Andrews...

Don Penn wasn't much taller than Buckley - and most of that was taken up by Penn's afro!
Buck still scored 18 goals that season.

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:36 pm

WarsawPact wrote:
Bernie wrote:... However to be successful Buckley always needed a big bloke alongside him, such as Bernie Wright or George Andrews...

Don Penn wasn't much taller than Buckley - and most of that was taken up by Penn's afro!

Buckley would have scored goals playing along side a midget , he was a natural goalscorer .

Bernie
UTS Legend

Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:37 pm

WarsawPact wrote:Don Penn wasn't much taller than Buckley - and most of that was taken up by Penn's afro!

The season that Buckley scored 18 goals, 79/80 he had big Roy McDonough alongside him. McDonough was one of football's hard men, according to Wikipedia he was sent off 21 times in his career, 13 times in the Football League. As far as I can recall Penn played either "in the hole" or on the wing in that season, wearing the number 7 shirt, and shirt numbers meant more in those days. Wherever he played he did score 26 goals that season - but how many of them were thanks to McDonough taking the heat from the defenders I cannot say.

73/74 Buckley with Andrews and Shinton: 24 goals
74/75 Buckley with Andrews and Wright: 27 goals
75/76 Buckley with Andrews and Wright: 35 goals
76/77 Buckley with Andrews and Wright: 23 goals
77/78 Buckley with Alf Wood and Terry Austin: 29 goals
78/79 Buckley went to B'ham City after scoring 8 goals in 16 matches alongside Terry Austin and Roy McDonough.
79/80 Buckley with Roy McDonough and Don Penn: 18 goals
80/81 Buckley only had McDonough for some matches, the rest of the time with Rees or Penn: 13 goals
81/82 Buckley with Don Penn: 7 goals
82/83 Buckley with Olly Kearns and Kevin Summerfield: 15 goals

After that season although only aged 32 he rarely started another match, concentrating on managing the side.

I think those stats support my argument, while he was a natural goalscorer who could score alongside a smaller player, that to be his most effective Buckley needed a big forward alongside him.

LancsSaddler
UTS Regular

Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:47 pm

Bernie wrote:I am really puzzled by the idea that Grigg has anything better than average touch and passing for a league one forward, so we will just have to disagree there. I certainly saw no evidence for it on Saturday. Did Alex Nicholls benefit from any of these wonderful passes when he was alongside him on Saturday? If so I did not see it. In fact when Grigg and Martin (another one who seems to have been over-praised for his efforts) left the pitch we hardly noticed their absence.

Since Grigg first came into the first team and played a few preseason friendlies it has been obvious that when the ball is played into his feet he hardly ever loses the ball. This is pretty good evidence of a good touch and passing plus a good football brain and knowing where to place his admittedy small frame to keep the ball. In fact quite often if grigg comes off the bench i find myself counting how many times he recieves the ball before he loses it. Normally quite a lot!

Unfortunately it is quite common of Walsall fans to not like players who dont 'look' like they work hard and run around and try hard (aka Taundry). Rather than appreciate a good footballer like Grigg who has the potential to play at a higher level. I've always thought that what Grigg was missing was goals but he has got a few this year so is adding that to his game.

If you had Grigg and Macken with some pace on the wing and a centre mid breaking beyond the strikers we would be looking good. obviously a lack of money prohibits certain parts of this!

brackley
UTS Veteran

Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:30 pm

LancsSaddler wrote:
Bernie wrote:I am really puzzled by the idea that Grigg has anything better than average touch and passing for a league one forward, so we will just have to disagree there. I certainly saw no evidence for it on Saturday. Did Alex Nicholls benefit from any of these wonderful passes when he was alongside him on Saturday? If so I did not see it. In fact when Grigg and Martin (another one who seems to have been over-praised for his efforts) left the pitch we hardly noticed their absence.

Since Grigg first came into the first team and played a few preseason friendlies it has been obvious that when the ball is played into his feet he hardly ever loses the ball. This is pretty good evidence of a good touch and passing plus a good football brain and knowing where to place his admittedy small frame to keep the ball. In fact quite often if grigg comes off the bench i find myself counting how many times he recieves the ball before he loses it. Normally quite a lot!

Unfortunately it is quite common of Walsall fans to not like players who dont 'look' like they work hard and run around and try hard (aka Taundry). Rather than appreciate a good footballer like Grigg who has the potential to play at a higher level. I've always thought that what Grigg was missing was goals but he has got a few this year so is adding that to his game.

If you had Grigg and Macken with some pace on the wing and a centre mid breaking beyond the strikers we would be looking good. obviously a lack of money prohibits certain parts of this!

For me, Griggs has got a good touch and in a better side im sure he would look a better player. Saturday was his best showing for me without any doubt, but he sadly lacks strength in the challenge and pace. ...... strength is something maturity wil bring naturally to his game whereas pace is a more difficult one to cultivate as you either have this ingredient or you dont........ Lets also not forget that he is playing in an unforgiving Div 1 where brawn dominates more often than not. In my opinion he is not ready for a place in the starting line-up but certainly worthy of the bench. Deano will undoubtedly be in 2 minds with the lad as he knows that in order to bring him on he will need as much match play as possible but equally does he do this at the sacrifice of team results - clearly not, but as with everything it is about striking a balance in bringing youth through the ranks.

Got to say Nicholls completely silenced all my previous opinions. As we all know ,the game is about consistency and he now needs to take Saturdays performance into every game....... he played with pace and intelligence and showed composure on the ball. I think he shows more promise as an attacking midfielder where he sits a fraction deeper than the front 2 and in a free role........

Previous
Return to 2011-12 Season