Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Wycombe Wanderers (A) League 1 Saturday 8/10/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Re: Wycombe Wanderers (A) League 1 Saturday 8/10/11.

Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:20 pm

On WM they were raving about a 19 year old lad from ghana who scored for Rushall today,perhaps Deano should have a look,although he would struggle to shift super Alex out of the team after today. :)

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:25 pm

bangsection wrote:I'd agree with that, but given our appalling record against teams in the top half in recent seasons, this is going to be another season where we have to take as many points as possible against the teams in the bottom half. We'll basically be scraping around trying to be the fifth worst team in the division. Not much to look forward to at the moment.

Some people think that we play better against the better teams. We may play better, but so far this season we have not been successful against them.

We have earned 11 points so far this season, but only 2 of them came from our 7 matches against teams who are in the top half of the table, all of whom are outside the top five.

We have earned 9 points from the 5 games against teams in the bottom half of the table.

bangsection
Site Addict

Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:26 pm

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:On WM they were raving about a 19 year old lad from ghana who scored for Rushall today,perhaps Deano should have a look,although he would struggle to shift super Alex out of the team after today. :)

That would be Ahmed Obeng. He's a real talent - lightning quick and very skilful - but is about 6 stone dripping wet! Rumours we were looking at him last season but I think he's been attracting quite a bit of interest of late. Kind of kid who should definitely be on our radar though.

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:53 pm

Maybe the brain dead idiot who did the graffiti in the toilets of the conference centre would like to own up? How embarrassing to see an otherwise pristine set of toilet doors defaced with 'walsall fc' its pure vandalism and there is no excuse for it. Bet they don't have the balls to publicly own up.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:18 pm

Sadsfan wrote:Maybe the brain dead idiot who did the graffiti in the toilets of the conference centre would like to own up? How embarrassing to see an otherwise pristine set of toilet doors defaced with 'walsall fc' its pure vandalism and there is no excuse for it. Bet they don't have the balls to publicly own up.

I bet they were disturbed mid-scrawl......they were going to add "are cack" :wink:

gray
Glitterati

Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:06 pm

Sadsfan wrote:Maybe the brain dead idiot who did the graffiti in the toilets of the conference centre would like to own up? How embarrassing to see an otherwise pristine set of toilet doors defaced with 'walsall fc' its pure vandalism and there is no excuse for it. Bet they don't have the balls to publicly own up.

How do you know they've read your call for them to own up?

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:21 pm

stig231 wrote:
jeffsmate wrote:Never mind we have an easy game next week, its only Preston :mrgreen:

...with MK Dons and Huddersfield also in the next 5 games :(

As a poster suggested above, it's now a battle to prove ourselves the fifth worst team in the Third Division!
Which I think will be an effort we are incapable of...forget all this nonsense about a creative midfielder, we need a striker..and quick. Note that all of the very poorest teams have at least a goalscorer, capable of saving thier team with an instinctive strike...What have we got...Macken, whose two week 'injury' appears to be permanent, Jarvis the workaholic,
and that fabulous foursome to strike the fear of god in to all defences...Nichols, Grigg, Paterson & Bowerman..good name for a firm of solicitors but bug all else........................... :(

bangsection
Site Addict

Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:49 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:What have we got...Macken, whose two week 'injury' appears to be permanent, Jarvis the workaholic,
and that fabulous foursome to strike the fear of god in to all defences...Nichols, Grigg, Paterson & Bowerman..good name for a firm of solicitors but bug all else........................... :(

Given that Paterson's been one of our better performers in the last few games (and looked sharp when he came on today, I'm told) and Bowerman's played 15 minutes in the first team this season that seems unduly harsh. But it's clear that something needs to be done as two shots on target (one free kick and one defensive howler) in a game against a side who have shipped an average of two goals a game this season isn't good enough. Question is, is it the supply to the forwards that needs to be better or the forwards themselves? To be honest, it's probably both - an expensive problem to fix if we go down the loans route.

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:57 pm

Hmmm, that was...worrying.

In the first half we played what is fast becoming our 'normal' game of keeping it tight at the back and not attacking. Hurst had one shot that their keeper pushed over but that was about it as an attacking threat. At half time it looked nailed on for 0-0 as they didn't look like they could win it and we didn't appear to think we could.

Deano's after match comments said that their goal was a bad one to concede (aren't they all!!), but I thought it epitomised how weak our attacking play is as there's no way we'd have got in that position. Their winger took on Sadler, got to the byline, crossed it in low for their striker who stole a yard infront of Butler and put it in. I just can't see us doing that, ever.

At that point we started to panic and passes were going astray and our fans we're getting restless. "DEANO DEANO SORT IT OUT!" was the chant from the terraces, and Deano duly responded...by bringing on Alex Nicholls for the hapless Jarvis, at the time I thought he was taking the pee. Paterson replaced the equally hapless Grigg and suddenly we had two players with pace up front; the cynic in me expected us to resort to hoofing it up in the air to them. But, to our credit, we didn't, and we tried to play a few through balls for them to run on to. We still didn't seem to be getting anywhere though. Their goalkeeper took a goalkick in the 79th minute, I don't remember him taking one up to that point. Not in front of us anyway.

Then, as if by magic, a mistake in their defence put NIchools through one on one with the onrushing keeper. One touch saw Nicholls round him and, just as I thought he was going to Torres it, took an extra touch and made sure he put it in. 1-1.

Suddenly we sprang into life. There was pace and energy, Chambers even remembered why he was signed by making a few quality tackles and breaking up the play and starting moves. It was gung ho from both teams and you kind of felt if the match had lasted another ten minutes one side or another might have created the chance to win it. However, if it had been us it would have been unfair on Wycombe.

What concerns me is if they hadn't made a mistake we'd never have scored. We look like we're their for the taking, all the time. We don't look like we believe we can win and, given that we have Preston, Charlton and Huddersfield coming up, we're going to get a right spanking if we're not careful. That would seriously increase the pressure on Deano despite the fact [glass half full mode] we've only lost one in four [/glass half full mode]. If ever there was an argument for needing a proper striker with pace it was today with how we played with Nicholls and Paterson (two right wingers) up front. We didn't lose but I feel like that is merely papering over the cracks.

Walker - Couldn't have done anything with the goal, made a couple of decent stops and was generally as solid as ever.
Westlake - I didn't really notice him so would appear to have had a quiet game, apart from when he was caught out once in the first half and their winger fired a dangerous cross across our box.
Sadler - Will be disappointed with the goal as it came down his side. Offered a threat going forward but he too has had better games.
Butler - I think this was his best game in a while. Will also be disappointed with the goal but that aside I think he played well, was strong in the tackle, commanding and even played the ball along the floor.
Smith - I've stated many times I think Lancashire is the better centre back, but I also think Deano needs to stick with a settled back four. With that in mind, and allowing for the fact Manny did nothing wrong today, I hope he keeps his place for a while.
Chambers - Was anonymous for large periods but, as I've stated above, really came into his own second half of the second half. If he keeps that up then things might start improving in midfield.
Peterlin - Definite improvement on Taundry and involved a lot. Midfield seemed a lot better with him there, especially once Chambers turned up.
Hurst - I think he's better on the right where he played today, and with the right service from central midfield could be a threat when he runs diagonally from right to left.
Martin - His best league game for us, but not as good as Rochdale on Tuesday. I'd be looking to extend his loan if we could.
Jarvis - Had one chance, but his head must be shaped like a fifty pence piece as he managed to put a free header wide from about 8 yards, his last contribution. Not great and not his best game, but I do think the way he's treated by our fans is harsh.
Grigg - Was he playing? I genuinely don't remember him touching the ball and assume he only stayed on as long as he did because Deano forgot he was there.

Subs

Gnakpa - Always looks capable of doing something, but never seems to manage it. At 1-1 was running with the ball and had Westlake in tonnes of room outside him, but ended up coming inside and chance was gone.
Nicholls - Seems to like playing at Wycombe, I think its the third goal he's scored there. To be fair he couldn't miss.
Paterson - Gave us a pacey outlet upfront in his brief cameo. I'd have started him on the right instead of Hurst.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:03 pm

bangsection wrote:
NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:On WM they were raving about a 19 year old lad from ghana who scored for Rushall today,perhaps Deano should have a look,although he would struggle to shift super Alex out of the team after today. :)

That would be Ahmed Obeng. He's a real talent - lightning quick and very skilful - but is about 6 stone dripping wet! Rumours we were looking at him last season but I think he's been attracting quite a bit of interest of late. Kind of kid who should definitely be on our radar though.

Apparently he is on a contract, only pennies but still a contract. So that rules us out :wink:

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:39 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:
bangsection wrote:
NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:On WM they were raving about a 19 year old lad from Ghana who scored for Rushall today. Perhaps Deano should have a look, ...

Apparently he is on a contract, only pennies but still a contract. So that rules us out :wink:

Ahmed is indeed on a contract and Deano HAS been to watch him play and sent another club representative to watch him since. There has been no contact to Rushall from WFC yet. I have to say that I'm not entirely convinced whether Ahmed would be good enough but it would be interesting to see him get the chance in the pro game.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:46 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
belgiansaddler wrote:
bangsection wrote:
NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:On WM they were raving about a 19 year old lad from Ghana who scored for Rushall today. Perhaps Deano should have a look, ...

Ahmed is indeed on a contract and Deano HAS been to watch him play and sent another club representative to watch him since. There has been no contact to Rushall from WFC yet. I have to say that I'm not entirely convinced whether Ahmed would be good enough but it would be interesting to see him get the chance in the pro game.

If Gnakpa can, so can he!

Whitters
Site Addict

Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:00 pm

Not much gets past Pedagogue....

Delves Saddler

Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:44 pm

bangsection wrote:

I went to school with him. Last I heard he was playing for one of Rushall's teams but I didn't know he was in the first team. Used to hate having to play against him in PE, never seen someone move so fast and still be able to control the ball like him. Would be weird seeing him pulling on the red jersey at Bescot.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:54 pm

Delves Saddler wrote:
bangsection wrote:

I went to school with him. Last I heard he was playing for one of Rushall's teams but I didn't know he was in the first team. Used to hate having to play against him in PE, never seen someone move so fast and still be able to control the ball like him. Would be weird seeing him pulling on the red jersey at Bescot.

You never saw Mark Rees? Oops sorry just re-read the second part of the bit in red :D

Delves Saddler

Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:58 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:
Delves Saddler wrote:
bangsection wrote:

You never saw Mark Rees? Oops sorry just re-read the second part of the bit in red :D

Mark Rees was before my time, considering I was born in 91 but you've summed up what my dad has told me about him :)

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:34 pm

Good report, Priestley.

I think most of us share the same concern - that 90% of our play is in reaction to our opposition, rather than creating chances and keeping the ball for ourselves. Chambers and Peterlin does appear to be the best we have in the middle of the park at present, but that's not to say it's good enough to really have us competing in this league.

Nick Mashither has been on Twitter this evening defending Dean Smith in spite of our poor run of form. On one hand he has a very valid point - we're paupers as far as budgets in this league are concerned. But on the other hand, has Smith spent his budget wisely enough? Sadler seems a solid signing, but the rest seem too inconsistent to be relied upon over the course of a 46 game season.

Whilst many were keen to praise Smith for signing players with 'a point to prove' in the summer, the reality is that asking all of them to prove their point at the same time is verging on impossible unless the manager is some kind of miracle worker. Smith's budget hasn't been helped by the fact that the likes of Nicholls, Taundry and Smith (all of whom show glimpses of ability but would be squad players at best for other sides at our level) were given extended contracts by his predecessor. The harsh reality is, we'd be much better off with a Jon Macken/Andy Butler than we would a combination of Nicholls and Taundry.

kevin
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:28 am

Pedagogue wrote:Ahmed is indeed on a contract and Deano HAS been to watch him play and sent another club representative to watch him since. There has been no contact to Rushall from WFC yet. I have to say that I'm not entirely convinced whether Ahmed would be good enough but it would be interesting to see him get the chance in the pro game.

I understand there are a few clubs watching him.

brackley
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:29 pm

......Priestley Saddler summed the game up quite well for me.

Firstly, what a fantastic following on Saturday........ and we were all in good voice and sang them out of the ground - proud to be a Saddler :D

The game;

The goal we conceded was very poor. We allowed their man to get right in behind us and Sadler was nowhere near him before he knocked the ball across the face of goal for the fella to stroll in to sweep the ball home unchallenged from less than 6 yards out with nobody picking him up. :evil: . ...... felt it was a shame that Sadler had this notched against him as I felt he had a decent game and provided us some width on the over-lap now and then. The back 4 looked relatively untroubled until then, apart from 5 minutes later when Wacka claimed the ball from a goal-line clearance.

The midfield just struggles without a true creative attacking midfield player that can link up play and can make penetrating runs....... for me Matt Gill last season was a great addition and given Rovers poor start to life in Div 2 I would love us to pick him up in the January sales - FAT CHANCE!....... the midfield concerns me, as we lost the ball time and time again in dangerous positions and left ourselves wide-open to their counter-attack, thankfully they had nothing to offer up front either but a better side would have puniched us without question. We look too cramped in the middle of the park and often found ball watching at times when we should be creating the angles and running into space off the ball............ basics you would think at this level :roll:

Up front - well this is our big problem. To be fair to the lad Grigg, he was far more mobile than I have seen him in recent weeks but he just can not compete for a ball. For the time he was on the pitch he just did not win one single challenge and never looked likely too, he seemingly has no pace nor aggression and their back-line just picked him off all afternoon. For me, he needs to be sent out on loan to get some experience and spend plenty of time on the training ground improving his pace, upper body strength and building some aggression into his play so that defenders know theyve been in a game!!

Gnakpa, just looked lost out on the flanks and apart from the very odd foray down the line struggled to make an impact. For me we should play him up-front and straight down the middle, he's got some pace and presence and could unsettle defenders......Nicholls is Nicholls, you always know what you are going to get, plenty of endeavour - still think hes more of an attacking midfield player and would be best suited sitting in behind the front 2.

Young Paterson, a breath of fresh air - young, energetic prepared to run at players and has pace and good feet in his repertoire. One to watch for the future, definately worth a place on the bench and will gain experience this season and will come on a bundle. Think next season he will be knocking on the door for a regular place :wink:

Deano; You will know this anyway im sure, but we need 2 loan strikers and a creative attacking midfield player and quick. The next few games are big games, I fear without a bit more quality in the side we are destined to be at the foot of the table once more come the end of October.

Saturdays performance was better, but plenty of work to do..........

BRACKLEY SADDLER

brackley
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:42 pm

........ just saw the name Mark Rees mentioned - now theres a blast from the past. A players whose pace would often outpace the ball itself :lol: , could certainly do with him now!!

Heres another name for the Saddlers faithful, who remembers the trickery of Willie Naughton with his cultured left foot. Never had pace but his skill always bought him a yard of space and he could land a cross on a sixpence and often had the likes of Christie, Cross and Kelly all queing up.........

I have to admit on Saturday when we had that free-kick outside their box, I was quietly wishing Shakey was on the pitch to lamp it into the top corner from 25 yards out

:D :D :D :D :D ............ the good old days!!

fatboyslim
UTS Veteran

Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:50 am

brackley wrote:......Priestley Saddler summed the game up quite well for me.

Firstly, what a fantastic following on Saturday........ and we were all in good voice and sang them out of the ground - proud to be a Saddler :D

The game;

The goal we conceded was very poor. We allowed their man to get right in behind us and Sadler was nowhere near him before he knocked the ball across the face of goal for the fella to stroll in to sweep the ball home unchallenged from less than 6 yards out with nobody picking him up. :evil: . ...... felt it was a shame that Sadler had this notched against him as I felt he had a decent game and provided us some width on the over-lap now and then. The back 4 looked relatively untroubled until then, apart from 5 minutes later when Wacka claimed the ball from a goal-line clearance.

The midfield just struggles without a true creative attacking midfield player that can link up play and can make penetrating runs....... for me Matt Gill last season was a great addition and given Rovers poor start to life in Div 2 I would love us to pick him up in the January sales - FAT CHANCE!....... the midfield concerns me, as we lost the ball time and time again in dangerous positions and left ourselves wide-open to their counter-attack, thankfully they had nothing to offer up front either but a better side would have puniched us without question. We look too cramped in the middle of the park and often found ball watching at times when we should be creating the angles and running into space off the ball............ basics you would think at this level :roll:

Up front - well this is our big problem. To be fair to the lad Grigg, he was far more mobile than I have seen him in recent weeks but he just can not compete for a ball. For the time he was on the pitch he just did not win one single challenge and never looked likely too, he seemingly has no pace nor aggression and their back-line just picked him off all afternoon. For me, he needs to be sent out on loan to get some experience and spend plenty of time on the training ground improving his pace, upper body strength and building some aggression into his play so that defenders know theyve been in a game!!
Gnakpa, just looked lost out on the flanks and apart from the very odd foray down the line struggled to make an impact. For me we should play him up-front and straight down the middle, he's got some pace and presence and could unsettle defenders......Nicholls is Nicholls, you always know what you are going to get, plenty of endeavour - still think hes more of an attacking midfield player and would be best suited sitting in behind the front 2.

Young Paterson, a breath of fresh air - young, energetic prepared to run at players and has pace and good feet in his repertoire. One to watch for the future, definately worth a place on the bench and will gain experience this season and will come on a bundle. Think next season he will be knocking on the door for a regular place :wink:

Deano; You will know this anyway im sure, but we need 2 loan strikers and a creative attacking midfield player and quick. The next few games are big games, I fear without a bit more quality in the side we are destined to be at the foot of the table once more come the end of October.

Saturdays performance was better, but plenty of work to do..........

BRACKLEY SADDLER

Was Grigg playing upfront on his own at the weekend? From what I remember so was Jarvis, yet he gets no mention at all? Interesting that Grigg, despite all of his apparent weaknesses, is still our top league goalscorer! Maybe if he had someone decent up front to support him (he is only just 20 afterall), i.e. a fit Macken, and some decent supply from the midfield (woeful again on Saturday with zero creativity) then he would see more of the ball and be able to score a few more goals. He is a young striker in a very poor team who create very few chances.......needs to be given a break from the criticism and more time to show what he can do. Physique and strength is also something that will grow over time.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:21 am

fatboyslim wrote:Was Grigg playing upfront on his own at the weekend? From what I remember so was Jarvis, yet he gets no mention at all? Interesting that Grigg, despite all of his apparent weaknesses, is still our top league goalscorer! Maybe if he had someone decent up front to support him (he is only just 20 afterall), i.e. a fit Macken, and some decent supply from the midfield (woeful again on Saturday with zero creativity) then he would see more of the ball and be able to score a few more goals. He is a young striker in a very poor team who create very few chances.......needs to be given a break from the criticism and more time to show what he can do. Physique and strength is also something that will grow over time.

Neither Grigg nor Jarvis is completely useless (and Grigg does have some potential) but neither of them are any good at all at either winning the ball or holding the ball. That means they are a terrible combination up front since nothing sticks to them and long or medium passes to them are usually the quickest way to give the ball to the opposition.

If either of them had a player like Jabo Ibehre alongside them then they might be able to show us what they can do; alongside each other they constantly show us what they cannot do.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:26 pm

Bernie wrote:
fatboyslim wrote:Was Grigg playing upfront on his own at the weekend? From what I remember so was Jarvis, yet he gets no mention at all? Interesting that Grigg, despite all of his apparent weaknesses, is still our top league goalscorer! Maybe if he had someone decent up front to support him (he is only just 20 afterall), i.e. a fit Macken, and some decent supply from the midfield (woeful again on Saturday with zero creativity) then he would see more of the ball and be able to score a few more goals. He is a young striker in a very poor team who create very few chances.......needs to be given a break from the criticism and more time to show what he can do. Physique and strength is also something that will grow over time.

Neither Grigg nor Jarvis is completely useless (and Grigg does have some potential) but neither of them are any good at all at either winning the ball or holding the ball. That means they are a terrible combination up front since nothing sticks to them and long or medium passes to them are usually the quickest way to give the ball to the opposition.

If either of them had a player like Jabo Ibehre alongside them then they might be able to show us what they can do; alongside each other they constantly show us what they cannot do.

Agreed.

brackley
UTS Veteran

Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:10 pm

Bernie wrote:

Agreed, my point was a constructive comment rather than a character assasination. Griggs has a solid touch and technically shows promise, granted........his goal against Scunny was top class for sure.The game is of course more demanding than the occassional flash of brilliance. Very simply, hes not ready............. that said if you could merge Paterson and Griggs together then you would have an interesting proposition. The big issue is that we do not have the time to bring all these players through and still get results - its sounding the alarm bells that we are looking towards are youngsters to get us out the poo!! :|

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:07 pm

Agree with those using a bit of common sense when judging Grigg's performances. He's 20 years old and playing in a struggling side. I do happen to think that he's got ability, but the fact of the matter is, he'd be third or fourth choice at most other League One clubs. Whilst a huge boost for him, the fact that we've given him the number 9 shirt shows the limits to both our playing budget and our ambition.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:44 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:
Delves Saddler wrote:
bangsection wrote:

Despite being a limited footballer, Rees was a huge part of Buckley's young midfield. You don't actually need to be that good at football, if you can kick a ball 30 yards infront of you, and beat a greyhound to it :D He ran Alan Kennedy like he had never been ran before. My best memory of him is the game at Rotherham in the quarter final, he really killed them that night. But yeah, I remember all the dross, and the fastet sendings off, just as well as you do :D Far more interesting than discussing today's team anyway.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:35 pm

I bet there are a few Blades fans who remember him well and have probably still got the scars to prove it :D

brackley
UTS Veteran

Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:28 pm

Was just re-living some magic moments.........

1984....... Milk Cup Semi-Final, Liverpool at home, 2nd leg - crammed into the Hillary street end as a 12 year old.......... the expectations of that game, how I was gloating at school following the 2-2 draw at Anfield. :D

Alas, were it not for Rush and some outstanding saves from Grobbelaar we would have made history that year for sure!

Another great game was the 4-4 (replay) against Watford at Vicarage Rd after extra-time........what a belter!!! :D

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:18 pm

brackley wrote:Was just re-living some magic moments.........

1984....... Milk Cup Semi-Final, Liverpool at home, 2nd leg - crammed into the Hillary street end as a 12 year old.......... the expectations of that game, how I was gloating at school following the 2-2 draw at Anfield. :D

Alas, were it not for Rush and some outstanding saves from Grobbelaar we would have made history that year for sure!

Another great game was the 4-4 (replay) against Watford at Vicarage Rd after extra-time........what a belter!!! :D

And funnily enough as we were talking about him, some woeful finishing from Mark Rees in the second leg :lol:

To be fair, Liverpool had Souness back for the second leg, dirty clogger he may have been, but he made Liverpool tick, Shakespere and Preece, didn't get it all their own way in the second leg.

The Waftord game, is the best game I have ever been to I think, for a number of reasons, the loudest Walsall away following I have ever heard, truly amazing. It was one of those matches, after it had finished, you had to think twice if it really happened at all. Feel sorry for the younger fans, I doubt they will ever experience anything like that following Walsall, it was a thousand times better than the Millenium Stadium as an experience.

brackley
UTS Veteran

Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:54 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
brackley wrote:Was just re-living some magic moments.........

And funnily enough as we were talking about him, some woeful finishing from Mark Rees in the second leg :lol:

To be fair, Liverpool had Souness back for the second leg, dirty clogger he may have been, but he made Liverpool tick, Shakespere and Preece, didn't get it all their own way in the second leg.

The Waftord game, is the best game I have ever been to I think, for a number of reasons, the loudest Walsall away following I have ever heard, truly amazing. It was one of those matches, after it had finished, you had to think twice if it really happened at all. Feel sorry for the younger fans, I doubt they will ever experience anything like that following Walsall, it was a thousand times better than the Millenium Stadium as an experience.

Me too............. its times like that, that remind you what a fantastic history the club has and the real supporters that make WFC special. These times will return..........

PreviousNext
Return to 2011-12 Season