Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Rochdale (A) JP Trophy 2nd Round Tuesday 4/10/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
Neuromantic
Site Addict

Re: Rochdale (A) JP Trophy 2nd Round Tuesday 4/10/11.

Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:03 am

Interesting (and sad) to see my prediction about Taundry has come true - I bet those having a go earlier in the season are eating humble pie now. He can't even bloody score a penalty when that was his only job!

Very sad state of affairs indeed.

I can't believe I am saying this, but if Deano can't sort this out then he has to go - no room for sentiment. If we get relegated we will possibly go bust.

PeruSaddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:04 am

WFC_Rob wrote:I'm surprised by some of the criticism of our midfield last night. I'm not going to go as far as saying things are now spot-on in there, but I thought things were much improved with Peterlin and Chambers as opposed to Chambers and Taundry. The fact that they wanted the ball and played it simple really helped us sustain a bit of pressure on Rochdale in the second half and, believe it or not, we kept aimless long balls from the back to a minimum. We might not make the top half with that combination in midfield - we might not even stay up - but I've got no doubt that it's the best we have at the moment.

If Macken is injured, Jarvis MUST play. It's as simple as that. The opposition centre halves last night couldn't have imagined an easier game when Nicholls and Grigg just stood still for 45 minutes. Jarvis came on, found spoace between the midfield and back four, and even ran the channels a couple of times to good effect. Speaking of running the channels, isn't this what Alex 'I'm a striker, don't you know' Nicholls should be doing?

Last night's performance was far from impressive, but it should at least give Smith food for thought in terms of his team selection for Saturday and beyond.

Rob, I'd agree with that assessment. We might have played the ball sideways a lot, but at least it was to our own players. Without Taundry forever trying the "glory ball" we retained possession much better than normally. True about Jarvis too; thought he made a big difference...

Bernie
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:08 am

If we ever get anything out of a match with any two out of Grigg, Jarvis, Nicholls or Paterson up front then it is going to be because the other team are rubbish. Without a player who can win the ball in the air and pass it to his partner, or his chest and then hold on it and use it, we are going to have little or no possession up front and make few chances.

Two years ago Hutchings let Jabo Ibehre leave and signed Sam Parkin, a year later he had got rid of Parkin and signed Jon Macken. While Macken has been a workhorse, on whom we have relied a lot he is no more a goal machine than Ibehre, and at 34 he is plagued by injuries and we are desperately needing a forward who can win the ball and hold on to it. I would forgive him if he does not score many goals, because he should be taking the pressure off his strike partner (Grigg or Paterson) and making chances for them. Troy Deeney scored most of his goals for Walsall when he had Ibehre alongside him.

Smith should be looking to bring on loan a forward like Ibehre .

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:26 am

ShropsSaddler wrote:There was some decent passing football played by both sides at times, without it actually going anywhere on the majority of occasions!

I agree with that too, which is why I've refused to claim that Smith has found the winning formula in Chambers and Peterlin. Having Peterlin in there just seemed to give us some sense of cohesion.
There was very little between the sides last night, with both carrying very little threat up front. That said, Martin showed that he's got the ability to be our creative outlet if we can get him one on one with the opposition fullback.

On a separate note, Gnakpa really flattered to deceive last night. For me, he's a better option than Nicholls, but his powderpuff attempts at tracking back and making his presence felt meant that Westlake had the thankless task of trying to mark two players at times. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt with it being his first game back after a spell out injured, but he needs to do better than that.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:40 am

Stayaway in Daily Mail horror shock horror.

I think your post is anti-British and you are a Muslim.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:17 pm

bangsection wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:
bangsection wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:Utter and complete disgrace, 3 out of 4 penalties wasted, we are a joke and an embarrassment. The club should refund the gate money for all Saddlers' fans who travelled, and then deduct it from the players' wages! Maybe if they were hit in the pocket, they might start to reflect on their performances and show greater respect for the paying fans who spend so much making the effort to follow the team. Not allowed by FL rules, no doubt, but that's how I feel tonight - angry and EMBARRASSED! :evil:

I'm inclined to agree with others though, what went on at Accrington overshadows anything else tonight, football-wise. :?

Nice to see you getting to an away game Geoff. How did we play?

Saddlers World and reports sent to me from the ground kept me adequately informed, thanks. I don't think it takes me to be there, or rocket science, to know that the team is under-performing and needs a massive kick up the backside - and withholding some of their wages might make some of them sit up and take notice. Shame we can't do it! :?

My mistake. I just assumed that to describe a performance as an "utter and complete disgrace" a "joke" and an "embarrassment" then you must have been there to see something above and beyond drawing 1-1 away from home to a League One side and then losing a penalty shoot out.

Jarvis sauntering up to take a penalty with a fag in his hand, perhaps? Or Richard Taundry looking delighted that the keeper had saved his effort, thereby keeping his Tuesday nights free for a bit of Christmas shopping?

This is the realm of the Daily Mail comments section where everything is automatically a "DISGRACE" and an "EMBARRASSMENT" and someone (anyone) "SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES".

Interested as ever to read the balanced reporting of people like Priestley and PT, unhappy that we lost but seeking to at least take some positives from what sounds like an average performance in keeping with our current poor run but not exactly an "utter and complete disgrace".

My original comments related to the penalty shoot-out debacle, which I intended to make clear when I mentioned "3 out of 4 penalties wasted". It was not meant as a comment on the entire game, but the finale was a massive let-down. Sorry if I didn't make that clear, bangsection, but I really DO feel that I can be allowed to feel and express my extreme disappointment with the way we threw away an opportunity in those last few minutes last night. I didn't need to be there to feel that way.

The commentary did not suggest that their 'keeper made two magnificent saves from the first two well-placed penalties, and the fourth - fired over the crossbar - is apparently still up there somewhere with one taken by Chris Waddle for England many years ago. :)

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:33 pm

Glad you cleared that up Geoff
I listened to the game on sadsworld and it seemed an even contest, in fact it might be argued that we had the better chances
I share your disappointment at the penalty performance but as pointed out above, it's lack of quality rAther than la k of effort

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:42 pm

chestersaddler wrote: it's lack of quality rAther than la k of effort

Are you ToMm y of Y0rk in disguise?

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:59 pm

:(
WFC_Rob wrote:
ShropsSaddler wrote:There was some decent passing football played by both sides at times, without it actually going anywhere on the majority of occasions!

I agree with that too, which is why I've refused to claim that Smith has found the winning formula in Chambers and Peterlin. Having Peterlin in there just seemed to give us some sense of cohesion.
There was very little between the sides last night, with both carrying very little threat up front. That said, Martin showed that he's got the ability to be our creative outlet if we can get him one on one with the opposition fullback.

On a separate note, Gnakpa really flattered to deceive last night. For me, he's a better option than Nicholls, but his powderpuff attempts at tracking back and making his presence felt meant that Westlake had the thankless task of trying to mark two players at times. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt with it being his first game back after a spell out injured, but he needs to do better than that.

Strange night last night, got there very late after running late at work, and forgetting the (well signposted,Ha!)turn for the
ground, despite the fact that I play most of my five a side matches IN Rochdale, but way over the other side of the town.
so I must apologise to Belgian for missing our appointment at the 'Church'! :(

Strange because I was fuming at our abysmally woefull penalty attempts, as Rochdale just slammed 'em in. we transpired to lope ours towards thier 6'6" giant goalie, with shots that I could have saved....ashamed I was along with 200 or so others that gave the sort of support on a miserable Tuesday night that ANY football club should be proud of!

However I may be in the slight minority on this one, but I feel we put together a slightly better performance than of late during spells of the match, particularly when Hurst and Jarvis came on. Martin had an astonishing turn round from his so far woefull performances, some of his runs down the wing, particularly in the second half were typical of those we would see from opposition wingers, taking on, and beating defenders, getting to the byeline and putting in decent crosses.....pity that most of them fell to the feet of Nicholls (let me beat three more defenders before I attempt a shot).

I was reasonably pleased to see Gnakpa back in the squad, but dissapointed at a very poor performance, tried faking cripling tackle poses more often than attempting to actually play footy, glad when he was eventually taken off, he gave us very little, which is pity really cos I think he 'could' be a good prospect, but as a striker perhaps NOT a wing back.

Loe Sayer? what can I say? ship him out on loan, waste of space, made Nicholls look good. Solid in defence, with strong performances from Sadler (once again) Butler, obviously, and Chambers gave his all for the cause.

IMHO the side seemed to show last night that they 'cared' and gave as much effort as was required, although the quality is obviously missing, as this was a very 'average' Rochdale side they were up against. The care and commitment aspects I like.
If he keeps the side from the second half (with the exception of Taundry) for Saturdays match I think we may be in with a chance of a point, after all they DID lose to Cheltenham last night!

Overall, a better showing, obviously we ain't good enough to avoid relegation, but if they TRY like they did in periods last night, our demise may not be altogether embarrassing.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:17 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Exile wrote:[ancient moaner mode] 1-0 down again, no shots on or off target, we'm cack, we should change our name to Walsall Nil [/ancient moaner mode] :wink:

He'll be there aswell. Can't wait for the objective match report :)

Told ya :D :shock: :wink:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:38 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
Exile wrote:[ancient moaner mode] 1-0 down again, no shots on or off target, we'm cack, we should change our name to Walsall Nil [/ancient moaner mode] :wink:

Think I was positive by normal standards don't you think? :lol: :lol: :lol:

ws3
Glitterati

Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:43 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

And 100% accurate, right down to the lack of signs to the ground. Thankfully the satnav knew the way :D

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:44 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

I do :D

I also know that most of your comments are Tongue in cheek. Maybe we will be the team to end Huddersfields unbeaten run :wink:

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:36 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

Indeed AM, you had a bang on the head? :D

No probs about missing us in the Church, see you at Huddersfield :wink:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:06 pm

So we only turned up in the last 20 mins when we conceded again?

latviancheese
Site Addict

Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:07 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:

Thats all he's ever done for us though!

He's bloody useless if we can find someone else to aim goal kicks at.

Previous
Return to 2011-12 Season