Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Carlisle United (H) League 1 Saturday 1/10/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
Bernie
UTS Legend

Re: Carlisle United (H) League 1 Saturday 1/10/11.

Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:40 pm

The big problem with our team is the centre of midfield and our attack. Richard Taundry made his 100th league start today. He has also started 14 cup matches and come on as substitute 28 times in league matches. How many more matches is he going to be given before the manager realises that he is not league one quality?

Up front Ryan Jarvis is useless as a target man. It is quite amazing how he manages to miss the ball with his head almost every time it goes towards him. I do not think that this is a coincidence, he must be ducking out on purpose, and when about once every fifteen he does make contact it is obviously a mistake. He contributes nothing on the ground. The memory of the wonder goal he scored against Shrewsbury in August is fading fast.

Fair play to Grigg who scored his first ever headed goal today, and also made two other very decent attempts with his head. At least that part of his game is improving, which is a good thing because nothing else went right for him today.

kevin
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:40 pm

Sadders wrote:Meh is the only way to describe that.

Brilliant, average or crap, are a few other ways.

Each of which would enlighten me rather more, on your thoughts on the game :D .

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:22 pm

no win in 6 , unable to keep a clean sheet , 2 points 1 place above the drop zone .

the alarm bells are ringing

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:49 pm

Some in Facebook are saying it was better, better than what? Sticking needles in your eyes?

Absolutely no clue going forward. Totally pointless even trying. One paced rubbish. Jarvis ...... just do one and pee orff you waster.

A fairly regular UTSer in front of me virtually fell asleep during the second half.

Chapin

Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:35 pm

There were times in the first half when we almost looked like a team. Passing the ball to the same colour shirt, moving off the ball and supporting. There were other times when we looked as though we were having a training session giving the ball back to them so we could practise blocking and tackling. The ball never stuck with the midfield and the front two couldn't judge a ball in the air and we sure were not going to pass it them on the floor.
That said Carlisle were dire despite some help from a few dubious decisions from a fussy referee. At half time we were probably just about deserving of the lead.

Their substitution at half time and the pep talk they must have had changed the game. A great strike from a free kick levelled matters and suddenly our level dropped to Parks league stuff. Had it not been for Wacka rolling back the years with 2 top notch saves and Carlisle strikers doing a Torres impersonation on a couple of occasions we would have lost by a fair margin.

Didn't think the back 5 did too badly today. Patterson had a great opening quarter of an hour but does at times run into trouble and gets dispossessed a little easily. However shows a great deal of promise and with careful management and coaching can offer much. Hurst didn't do a fat lot. Had a couple of runs with no end product. Grigg was the marginally better of the strikers and had 3 good headed attempts.

Central midfield was our weakest point. Carlisle set up with 5 in midfield so how Taundry can always be 15 yards from the nearest opponent beggars belief. Unfortunately he ball watches and doesn't seem to have a clue where the opponents are. Thus to close someone down he's always got to go 15 yards or more to get to them. To be fair he did do 2 bits of good defending in the second half but overall very poor today.

Nicholls added a bit of zest when he came on but Peterlin and Bowerman didn't have chance to make a difference.

Everyone on here can see midfield is a problem, yet today's central 2 seem immune from the chop. Smith needs to do something. Perhaps changing the shape might work. Back 3 of Manny Lancashire and Butler. Westlake and Sadler wingbacks with Peterlin, Chambers Patterson in midfield and Grigg and Macken up front.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:40 pm

Duke wrote:no win in 6 , unable to keep a clean sheet , 2 points 1 place above the drop zone .

the alarm bells are ringing

Where is MMF? He will think of something postive about today..
Where is he?

Louise
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:43 pm

tinned wrote:Some in Facebook are saying it was better, better than what? Sticking needles in your eyes?

Absolutely no clue going forward. Totally pointless even trying. One paced rubbish. Jarvis ...... just do one and pee orff you waster.

A fairly regular UTSer in front of me virtually fell asleep during the second half.

I cannot lie , twas me :oops:
Spot on Tinned , enjoyed the Weather and Jimmys heroics other than that we are looking relegation fodder :(

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:56 pm

Mixed bag (that's for Evo :D ) of a match. Even first half highlighted by the continuing development of Paterson. Carlisle clearly the better side in the second half and Wacka showed that he is still a top goalkeeper.

Walker - my MotM - couldn't be blamed their wonder goal (from a dubious free-kick) but kept us in it with some top-class saves.

Beevers - made the occasional slip but wasn't too bad
Smith - not as good as the Manny of a few years ago but generally coped well.
Lancashire - looked rusty but was o.k.
Sadler - the pick of the defence. Tried to support the attack occasionally.

Paterson - very promising first half. Quick and a good first touch. Faded a bit in the second half. Sponsors' MotM.
Taundry - as usual, never hid, always tried to be involved but, sadly, there was little or no quality in his play. Poor first touch (the second touch was usually a tackle) and no passing skills.
Chambers - totally anonymous. I didn't realise that he was playing until 5 minutes from the end!
Hurst - not really involved enough

Grigg - took his goal well but lacks pace
Jarvis - dreadful, nowhere near League One standard

Peterlin (came on for Beevers as Taundry moved to right-back) - as anonymous as Chambers
Bowerman (came on for Jarvis) - couple of good touches but not on long enough
Nicholls (came on for Hurst) - as usual, bags of pace but no end-product.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:06 pm

Pedagogue wrote:Jarvis - dreadful, nowhere near League One standard.

You can't say that. DZ will say you're talking bollox unless you back up your opinion with facts.

I agree btw, he's utter cack.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:16 pm

tinned wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:Jarvis - dreadful, nowhere near League One standard.

You can't say that. DZ will say you're talking bollox unless you back up your opinion with facts.

I agree btw, he's utter cack.

O.K. Jarvis is slow, can't trap a ball, can't head, can't tackle, can't shoot. Will that do for starters? :mrgreen:

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:17 am

Match report and poll now on the front page. A point is a point, but we need more.

http://upthesaddlers.com/wp/archives/20 ... -same-old/

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:56 am

The midfield 2 are too deep, at times yesterday they were almost playing at centre back, and that was when we were attacking! Chambers has been very poor in the last few games. We desperately need 2 new centre mids and we may as well terminate jarvis and hursts contracts now.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:16 am

boringteacher wrote:Jesus, given the reactions on here, we deserve to be in the Div of death for fan support alone.

We played fairly well in the 1st half and deserved to be one up against a team who'd taken 10 points from 5 games away this season. Lancashire and Smith had their really good front 2 well covered.

Second half, they changed formation and our "defence" seemed to have opted out. They banged in an equaliser from a non-existent free kick and frankly wacka was our motm for keeping them out for the rest of the 2nd half. However, we could easily have nicked it in the last few minutes, then would there have been all of the doom and gloom? A point was fair overall against a top 10 team.

What hacks me off is the anti-Smith stuff on here. I've no definite opinion on whether he is a good or just adequate manager, but he's incomparably better than the guano we've had since mr happy. He's got a budget based on sub-4k gates, a phallus of an absentee owner who just wants to extract his pieces of silver every year so what the **** do you expect.
Given the above, we need some managerial stability!!!!

WE also need a team? I regularly see better displays from my Sunday Morning (after a night on the pop) teams playing on parks pitches, with mountain ranges or lakes for pitches, our lot are supposed professionals on wages that most of us can only dream about, even turning out in the red shirts at the Bezza! They need a GOOD kick up the aris, or if they cor be bothered, released from thier contracts.
You must have been borrowing some 'uppers' off your students Boring, your positivity is luadable I must say!

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:18 pm

I must have watched a different game to everyone else.

I also put on FB that it was better, simply because it was. Having witnessed the recent horror shows against Oldham and Colchester, today was a marked improvement. We got a point and we deserved one. In an attempt to avoid using a cliche, it was a match consisting of two contrasting periods of 45 minutes. Had the first and second half been played the other way round there would be a lot more positivity in the comments. The boo's that greeted the final whistle were frankly dumbfounding. We were denied the win by a goal we could do nothing about, a brilliant long range free kick. Our goal was from a set piece, Grigg's first headed goal which was another plus. The second half decision to have Paterson on one wing and Nicholls on the other shows promise, if we can get the central midfield right it might start clicking into place. We also had a more attacking bench yesterday, with a striker and two wingers amongst the options Deano gave himself. We hadn't got Butler playing yesterday but I think the defence was adequate. Communication may have been an issue as Smith and Lancashire went for the same ball more than once, but I prefer that to neither of them going for it.

I actually came out of the ground feeling a bit more positive that in recent weeks, as though we'd at least given ourselves something to build on. But like I said, maybe I was watching a different game.

Walker - Two top class saves to preserve the point. Could do nothing about the goal. More than justified his return to the team in the last two games, not convinced we'd have got a point yesterday with Grof in goal, although that may be harsh.
Beevers - Has the worst chant of any player since Viva Matt Richards. The fact its sang in irony at the fact everyone thinks he's rubbish has...I was gonna say stopped being funny, but it wasn't funny in the first place. Adequate again, slowly closing the gap on Westlake who I still think should be first choice right back.
Sadler - Back to his steady self after a couple of below average performances in recent weeks. Is overworked on the left hand side by the fact Hurst is about as close to being a left winger as I am to being a woman.
Lancashire - He was my pick of the defenders. Quite why he keeps being dropped for Smith is still a mystery to me, and was marginally better than his partner yesterday.
Smith - Didn't do a lot wrong, but I still think the level of his performance is directly proportionate to the inability of the opposition attack. The weaker they are up front, the better Smith plays. As a result, he was decent yesterday.
Hurst - Not a left winger but not necessarily a bad player. It reminds me of when Richards used to play on the wing and was woeful, only to become pivotal to the team when moved into centre mid. I see the same thing happening with Hurst once Deano sees Taundry and Chambers doesn't work.
Paterson - Sponsors MOTM and probably correct, although Wacka could have won it too. Does run down blind alleys occasionally but that will come from experience. Hope our support give him the opportunity to learn and don't start ironically chanting his name everytime he does something wrong.
Chambers - Could be good, but right now he isn't. Needs taking out of the firing line for a bit.
Taundry - Never drops deep to pick the ball up from the centre back, meaning it ends up being hoofed. Also needs 'resting' as right now I believe he thinks his place his safe.
Jarvis - I'm sure people criticise him because its fashionable and completely ignore how he actually plays. Quite how people can criticise him for being lazy after yesterday is confusing to say the least. Tried to play the Macken role but doesn't do it as well, the fact he kept standing a yard too far forward when the ball came to him in the air, meaning when he jumped he missed it, didn't help his cause. Has potential and worked hard. Was living off scraps though.
Grigg - Was asked by someone by me yesterday "Other than score the goal, what else has he done?", but he's our number 9. I want him to score goals and I don't care if he does anything else. He isn't helped by the lazy and lethargic manner in which he wonders the pitch, but as I said, as long as he scores I don't care.

Subs

Nicholls - Really really frustrates me, because on days like yesterday you can see potential. He got the ball, and he ran at his defender with it, and beat him more often than not. He needs to do it more often but sadly we know he wont, not often enough anyway. However, if he could he still be a player for us.
Bowerman - Didn't really make an impact. Is only contracted to the club til January but it would be crazy not to keep him until at least the end of the season. That said, he doesn't really offer anything different to our other strikers. If you were looking for a player who might be around the club for a couple of years though you'd pick him over someone like Jarvis simply because he's younger, cheaper and has the potential to be better.
Peterlin - Our central midfield looked marginally better when he came on for Beevers and Taundry was moved to right back.

Word on the ref who I thought was decent and used a bit of common sense, especially when it came to water breaks during stoppages on what was a ridiculously hot day. Can't remember the last time I went to a match wearing shorts in October.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:15 pm

priestley_saddler wrote:I must have watched a different game to everyone else.

went to the same games as you mate, and I cant quite see where all the despondancy came from. We could have nicked it yesterday, though the draw was a fair result.

Can't agree on the defence though - thought it was shocking at times in the 2nd half

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:49 pm

BathSaddler wrote:Another desperate home draw, 1-1, in front of 3,855 [554 away].

Well done BS, you were very close indeed, much to my surprise, though I take your point about the Carlisle away following. Did they say how many came down from Cumbria, by the way?

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:51 pm

529 Cumbrians mate.

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:46 pm

boringteacher wrote:

went to the same games as you mate, and I cant quite see where all the despondancy came from. We could have nicked it yesterday, though the draw was a fair result.

Can't agree on the defence though - thought it was shocking at times in the 2nd half

The performance was touch and go if it was better than X game or Y game but GOD wasn't it so dull? :shock:

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:49 pm

Darth Vader wrote:529 Cumbrians mate.

Thanks very much for the information DV, so that leaves 3,302 of our own fans/floaters, which must mean we had slightly more than average, if my memory serves me correctly.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:54 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:

Thanks very much for the information DV, so that leaves 3,302 of our own fans/floaters, which must mean we had slightly more than average, if my memory serves me correctly.

You have how many floaters :shock:

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:56 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:

You have how many floaters :shock:

Quick! Find the plunger! :mrgreen:

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Carlisle United (H) League 1 Saturday 1/10/11.

Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:59 pm

I like it when my floaters dye the water.

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:01 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:

Compared to the 3,301 home support predicted by BS. Perhaps you should make that donation?

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:25 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:I like it when my floaters dye the water.

Some mine have been spotted on the south west coast of Scotland. Best place for them :D

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:08 pm

tinned wrote:
boringteacher wrote:

The performance was touch and go if it was better than X game or Y game but GOD wasn't it so dull? :shock:

The very sad truth is that it actually seemed a decent game to me compared to the past few seasons. Maybe I'll try scoring something off my students next time as Ancient Moaner suggested, it might look like Brazil Italy in 1982 if I try the correct stimulant.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:27 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:I like it when my floaters dye the water.

Some mine have been spotted on the south west coast of Scotland. Best place for them :D

If they're spotted perhaps you should consider seeing your local proctologist. You can find him on Facebook or, in his case, Faecesbook........ :mrgreen:

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:49 pm

moaning saddler wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:

Compared to the 3,301 home support predicted by BS. Perhaps you should make that donation?

I must admit that I did consider that, but in the end the bet was on total attendance, and even though I'm surprised how close it came to BS' prediction, it fell short. I think we all know that getting close never wins a bet, try asking Ladbroke's or Bet Fred.

I've made enough sizeable donations lately - and there's more going out via the Trust this week, so my conscience is entirely clear that I'm "doing my bit" for good causes.

Aldridge_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:40 am

Ancient wrote:
WE also need a team? I regularly see better displays from my Sunday Morning (after a night on the pop) teams playing on parks pitches, with mountain ranges or lakes for pitches, our lot are supposed professionals on wages that most of us can only dream about, even turning out in the red shirts at the Bezza! They need a GOOD kick up the aris, or if they cor be bothered, released from thier contracts.
You must have been borrowing some 'uppers' off your students Boring, your positivity is luadable I must say!

The way I see it there are 3ish problems;

1) our players aren't looking over their shoulders thinking oh dear I best play my best because I'm gonna get replace if I'm not careful and the one that should be, Jarvis, isn't but having said that he's not getting any service is he?

2) we look so short in the centre surely there are funds to bring in someone?? We are without byfield an Gray who
Must have been top earners? Replacing the with hurst and Jarvis won't have filled this. I hope to
God not!!

3) we need a good extra 1000 on the gate to be able to afford a team a good one anyway, stayaways have made their decision good look to them but it's clearly hurting the team rather than JB's pocket. The way things are going we will be doing a Chester city before long.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:49 am

Aldridge_saddler wrote:
Ancient wrote:

The way I see it there are 3ish problems;

1) our players aren't looking over their shoulders thinking oh dear I best play my best because I'm gonna get replace if I'm not careful and the one that should be, Jarvis, isn't but having said that he's not getting any service is he?

2) we look so short in the centre surely there are funds to bring in someone?? We are without byfield an Gray who
Must have been top earners? Replacing the with hurst and Jarvis won't have filled this. I hope to
God not!!

3) we need a good extra 1000 on the gate to be able to afford a team a good one anyway, stayaways have made their decision good look to them but it's clearly hurting the team rather than JB's pocket. The way things are going we will be doing a Chester city before long.

... all because of one man. If we get relegated = total oblivion.

Mal
UTS Veteran

Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:45 am

For me a better performance, Wacka was immense and the goal was quality again so positives can be had

I don't agree on the comments about Chambers had his best game for a while doing the dirty stuff no one mentions, breaking up play and getting aroudn the park

Paterson is the flair player we need to keep in the team you need to give him the confidence to do his stuff

Jarvis who is the new boo boy which is embarrasing is improving with each game, as I have said before after two years of hardly any football he is getting fitter and works hard, yes in the air he is poor but on the ground he has quality

The defence were solid and Manny had his best game for a while definately the Butts role and his header off the line with him poleaxed in the net was top drawer defending.

I would like to see Hurst moved inside and Peterlin bought in, maybe 4-5-1 with Grigg up top

PreviousNext
Return to 2011-12 Season