Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Carlisle United (H) League 1 Saturday 1/10/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Re: Carlisle United (H) League 1 Saturday 1/10/11.

Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:13 pm

Mal wrote:For me a better performance, Wacka was immense and the goal was quality again so positives can be had

I don't agree on the comments about Chambers had his best game for a while doing the dirty stuff no one mentions, breaking up play and getting aroudn the park

Paterson is the flair player we need to keep in the team you need to give him the confidence to do his stuff

Jarvis who is the new boo boy which is embarrasing is improving with each game, as I have said before after two years of hardly any football he is getting fitter and works hard, yes in the air he is poor but on the ground he has quality

The defence were solid and Manny had his best game for a while definately the Butts role and his header off the line with him poleaxed in the net was top drawer defending.

I would like to see Hurst moved inside and Peterlin bought in, maybe 4-5-1 with Grigg up top

I do agree with most of what you've just posted, Mal. The problem is, the things we're doing well aren't the things that win football matches.

Chambers is fine at the scrappy side of the game, but due to the fact that we don't pair him with anyone creative, he finds himself struggling in an attempt to be more of an all-rounder.
Like him or not, Jarvis can hold the ball up and did so to good effect for the first half an hour on Saturday. He can't do that if we punt 60 yard balls at him though.
And Manny is fine when we're defending with our backs to the wall, but any posession usually breaks down when we give him the ball and he hoofs it.

Yes, we're half decent at doing some things, but not the things which worry our opposition.

Mal
UTS Veteran

Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:47 pm

Agreed which is why I have faith we will find someone that will ensure another season of progress and mid table

It is frustrating, but I would be relatively happy with as a minimum perfromaces like Saturday cos as a Saddler we have always demanded the very least is you get a sweat on

We have the young lad Michael Woods on trial who if he is capable following his injuries could be a good addition considering Chelsea paid £2.5 million for the lad from Leeds and he finished the season there in the reserves

I accept we are not good enough but any comparison with the Numpty years under Hutchings is exageration at its worst.

Lets hope we get a result at Rochdale tomorrow night and this kicks us on to another away victory at Wycombe

UTS

Bernie
UTS Legend

Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:33 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:And Manny is fine when we're defending with our backs to the wall, but any possession usually breaks down when we give him the ball and he hoofs it.

I agree that Manny Smith is not going to be able to regularly send accurate long passes to our forwards and as a result we lose possession. However with Jarvis and Grigg up front we lose possession any way. Lancashire did a few really good long passes from defence to Jarvis who either missed them completely or failed to control the ball. In an ideal world our centre halves would not be always sending up hopeful long passes (hoof ball), but would have decent options available closer to them (midfielders).

Lancashire is too weak in the air to be a successful centre half in league one. He can defend on the ground, and is good at using the ball, so I wonder if he should be tried at full back.

Previous
Return to 2011-12 Season