Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Colchester United (A) League 1 Saturday 24/9/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Re: Colchester United (A) League 1 Saturday 24/9/11.

Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:54 pm

Graydon48 wrote:
belgiansaddler wrote:Sounds like we at least had a bit of a go in 2nd half despite having 10 men but still sounds like poor performance. Oh well, at least people like Graydon will be pleased in anticipation of being able to slag the team and manager off all week :D :wink:

Well it looks like we won't have the helping hand of a team being docked huge amount of points to help keep us up this season. Let me start the ball rolling early. Smith Out.
Happy BelgianBoy ?

Not as happy as you obviously. Must have made your weekend us losing. For once I think Bonser had a point, the club would be better off if people like you did go and support Luton, Rovrum or Burmuff. Let me know which one you choose and I'll give you a lift :roll:

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:17 pm

King Crimson wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
King Crimson wrote:
Darlosaddler wrote:Not sure what Lancashire is doing wrong, I think Manny has been awful in every game he's played.

Not awful, but substandard certainly.

Perhaps the fact Lancashire can't defend? His positional sense is awful, worse than Smith.

You just have a downer on Smith because he was poor last season. He hasn't been this.

Nope. I just think that the only thing Manny Smith can do is head a football that's coming his way. For me, that's not enough. As for positioning, he's atrocious. I put some of his pre-season howlers down to (a) it being pre-season and players are rusty and (b) sometimes the oppo were half-decent (e.g. the same ball destroying him twice against Wolves). But he's still often found wanting positionally (but has a bit of pace to sometimes recover) and his holding of the defensive line is poor. I frequently see him playing strikers on side. He may have shown early promise in his career and appeared to have 'gone backwards' under Hutchings, but some players don't go backwards, they just don't develop beyond mediocre.

I'm going to go all philthesaddler now and speculate that Manny Smith won't be playing at this level or higher when he leaves us.

EDIT - I binned my initial reply as unduly dismissive and strident.

Just as an aside, Anthony "big time Charlie"/body language all wrong/thinks he's better than he is/soon be found out in The Championship Gerrard just named N-Power Man of the Match in Cardiff's goalless draw with Leicester. He was immense.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:45 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:
Saarland Saddler wrote:Very poor. The people who said we would finish in the play offs are idiots.

Agreed, but there were some on here who poo poo'd my earlier lack of belief in a 'challenge for promotion'! some even called me a 'moanin old git', bloomin cheek! :lol: :lol:

36 matches still to go? it's going to be a loooong season of frustration methinks....

I don't think anyone. (okay not many) people thought we would make the play offs or anything like.

I think the responses to your post are based on the fact that you seem to take so much pleasure out of the fact we lose. I'm sure you don't obviously, but you certainly come over that way.

NO way! I have screamed my bloomin head off supporting Walsall for nigh on 50 years and that will NEVER change! If anyone should be in my household after Walsall have lost again would realise that they are in the company of an extremely depressed person, after my dear wife, they are my life! I'm somewhat glad that we were unable to have kids cus I would have enivitably forced them to endure being a Saddler for the rest of thier miserable lives too! Being at the holy turf of the Bezza, is a lifeblood to me, I will support, and scream encouragement to my beloved red shirts till the day I die.
Most on here realise that the majority of my posts are somewhat 'tongue in cheek', cus lets face it being a Walsall fan can be somewhat miserable at times...Yes?

Yeah, fair enough I get ya.

You have every right to moan if you have been supporting/suffering it for 50 years! The 30 years I have done has included much suffering (football wise) I wouldn't change a minute of it though, all those dark days make the good ones we have had all the better, and other than that, even when we are rubbish (alot of the time) it's still always enjoyable to me.

I already knew that you got no pleasure out of us losing, it does come over that way sometimes though, which is why you get some of the responses you do (not from me) Here's to another 50 years of suffering :wink:

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:16 pm

To be honest Saus, I think out of all Bonser's problems, the one that has caused the most damage to this football club is the systematic year upon year apathy and divisions amongst our supporters. That is his legacy and he should be ashamed.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:10 pm

Saarland Saddler wrote:To be honest Saus, I think out of all Bonser's problems, the one that has caused the most damage to this football club is the systematic year upon year apathy and divisions amongst our supporters. That is his legacy and he should be ashamed.

To be fair, you have nothing to compare it against do you ? As Bonser is all you have known. I'm not a "Bonser fan" before everyone starts coming out with stupid happy clapper remarks, but I do know that Walsall fans have always been pretty apathetic. They will turn up if we are doing well, they will turn up if we are doing bad (relegation battle) it's the middle ground inbetween where they can't be bothered to shell out lots of £ to watch nothing matches, and quite rightly so if they don't want to. Bonser is a good excuse , when in reality one isn't needed. Football has changed over the years, it isn't just us that are suffering for that.

People harp on a bout the "Buckley" era, Fellows Park, blah blah blah, we had some very average seasons under Buckley, and the fans moaned every bit as much then, probably more than they do now. Bonser is a lame excuse for people becoming apathetic about W.F.C, I'm certainly not, neither are you, despite Jeff Bonser.

Anyway, I hope, the same as you do, that we can somehow get out of this mess, and find a long term future for Walsall Football Club.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:37 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
Saarland Saddler wrote:To be honest Saus, I think out of all Bonser's problems, the one that has caused the most damage to this football club is the systematic year upon year apathy and divisions amongst our supporters. That is his legacy and he should be ashamed.

To be fair, you have nothing to compare it against do you ? As Bonser is all you have known. I'm not a "Bonser fan" before everyone starts coming out with stupid happy clapper remarks, but I do know that Walsall fans have always been pretty apathetic. They will turn up if we are doing well, they will turn up if we are doing bad (relegation battle) it's the middle ground inbetween where they can't be bothered to shell out lots of £ to watch nothing matches, and quite rightly so if they don't want to. Bonser is a good excuse , when in reality one isn't needed. Football has changed over the years, it isn't just us that are suffering for that.

People harp on a bout the "Buckley" era, Fellows Park, blah blah blah, we had some very average seasons under Buckley, and the fans moaned every bit as much then, probably more than they do now. Bonser is a lame excuse for people becoming apathetic about W.F.C, I'm certainly not, neither are you, despite Jeff Bonser.

Anyway, I hope, the same as you do, that we can somehow get out of this mess, and find a long term future for Walsall Football Club.

I agree and hope we see these days soon.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:37 pm

Crikey Blazing, unlike you to talk sense, are u feeling ok? :mrgreen:

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:40 am

belgiansaddler wrote:Crikey Blazing, unlike you to talk sense, are u feeling ok? :mrgreen:

No, just sober :lol:

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:21 pm

Clear sending off for me having seen the replay. Butler had his right hand on the Colchester player's shoulder and brought him down. The contact started outside the area but carried on into the box and therefore is a penalty. The Col U player was just going past Butler and no one was there to immediately cover so it's a clear goalscoring opportunity which means a sending off.

'Highlights' http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15054967.stm

Fish
UTS Veteran

Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:35 pm

Wyrley_saddler wrote:Clear sending off for me having seen the replay. Butler had his right hand on the Colchester player's shoulder and brought him down. The contact started outside the area but carried on into the box and therefore is a penalty. The Col U player was just going past Butler and no one was there to immediately cover so it's a clear goalscoring opportunity which means a sending off.

'Highlights' http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15054967.stm

I've just played this frame by frame and can't agree. Stop the action when the ball is exactly on the line of the penalty box, the Colchester player is already on his way down a few feet outside. The ref got it wrong. Not a penalty. Not sure about the sending off - but the Colchester player has his arm across Butler. Perhaps a the benefit of the doubt and a yellow might have been the most sensible decision. But hey! where can you find a sensible ref nowadays?

Bernie
UTS Legend

Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:13 pm

Fish wrote:I've just played this frame by frame and can't agree. Stop the action when the ball is exactly on the line of the penalty box, the Colchester player is already on his way down a few feet outside. The ref got it wrong. Not a penalty. Not sure about the sending off - but the Colchester player has his arm across Butler. Perhaps a the benefit of the doubt and a yellow might have been the most sensible decision. But hey! where can you find a sensible ref nowadays?

These images show that you are right that it was not a penalty. Neither was it a foul. If you look at the video you will see that Antonio puts the ball across the path of Butler and has to run through him to reach it. You can tell this because of the shading of the grass. In the first picture they are both in the darker area, Antonio has just played the ball towards the goal and onto the lighter strip of grass. You can see that Antonio is going through Butler's direct line to the ball, Butler is nearer to ball and it is Antonio who fouls Butler, so we should have had the free kick.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:06 pm

Agree with your findings Bernie, but from a refs viewpoint, after a 50/50 handbags at dawn tussle, Butler made the undeniable mistake of throwing his arm 'across' the attackers chest, just inside the box. Result? Penalty, sending off etc.
Sad and bad for us, but the Ref made the right 'decision'.

brackley
UTS Veteran

Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:58 pm

Saturdays game was nothing short of abismal...... other than watching Wacka keep us in it save after save I left the ground resigned to yet another season of flirting with relegation...

Whilst Butler leads the line well, there were far too many occassions where we were caught square at the back and slow on the turn which is arguably what contributed to his marching orders. Sadler didnt get tight enough to his man and allowed him far too much space to run at him and when he found space in an offensive position he continually checked back as the movement off the ball by the players was none existent and left him with few options whilst seemingly not having the confidence to take players on..... Once Butler was carded, defensively we were all at sea with Lancashire and Smith not knowing when to hold and when to go - no wonder Wacka was pulling his hair out at times!!!

In the middle of the park, we get players behind the ball and the work-rate in closing down is there....... unfiortunately, when we get the ball we struggle to know what to do with it and with the forward line as imobile as ive seen we resort to playing a long ball up front whilst Griggs just drifts in and out of the game for long periods.

Macken looks like he needs to lose 2 stone. Griggs is a talent but at the moment he is learning his trade and needs to know how to peel off into space in wide areas to receive the ball and link up play ..... and then make an attacking run into the box. Griggs just did not provide any support to Macken and consequently isolated him for much of the game which compounded matters in the middle of the park as they struggled to find an outlet and move the ball quickly....

Without Gnakpa we have no creative options and we had absolutely no width to our play whatsoever.

The tempo just wasnt there and we made Colchester look world-beaters when in fact they have plenty to worry about this season.........

On this reckoning we are 4 players short all in key position:-

. Defender with height and pace on the turn
. Creative Midfielder - shame we couldnt have landed Gill in the close season, would have been perfect
. Creative winger
. Striker with pace

Deano get it sorted - come on you Saddlers!!!!!!!!!

BRACKLEY SADDLER

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:21 pm

Who is Griggs? :?

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:44 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:Who is Griggs? :?

Do lovely sausage rolls :lol:

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:57 pm

Shame the referee doesn't have the benefits of freeze frames! In real time, it's a penalty and it's a sending off. I'm pretty sure the vast majority of referees would have made the same call as the one on saturday did.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:09 pm

You know exactly who he meant, stop being petty.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:24 pm

Darth Vader wrote:

Yes, Lord Vader. Certainly Lord Vader. Three bags full, Lord Vader! Note the smiley, Lord Vader. Sense of humour disappeared, Lord Vader?

Incidentally, I am not pretty, but my new grand-daughter is VERY VERY pretty! :D

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:26 pm

Man up, you girl.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:27 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Man up, you girl.

Not my scene, FBIG ! :shock:

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:31 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:

Yes, Lord Vader. Certainly Lord Vader. Three bags full, Lord Vader! Note the smiley, Lord Vader. Sense of humour disappeared, Lord Vader?

Incidentally, I am not pretty, but my new grand-daughter is VERY VERY pretty! :D

I just find it quite disrespectful that he's recently signed up on UTS, made his first post (which is a decent observation may I add) and you pop up saying that, practically p1ssing all over the fella.

I'm in a horrid moody today, sorry! :wink:

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:06 pm

Darth Vader wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:

I just find it quite disrespectful that he's recently signed up on UTS, made his first post (which is a decent observation may I add) and you pop up saying that, practically p1ssing all over the fella.

I'm in a horrid moody today, sorry! :wink:

Ah, it's OK, didn't mean to offend anyone at all, (especially a new member), so if I caused any offence, it wasn't meant, and I apologise.

Sometimes we come on here and it's just the way the mood takes us, sometimes serious, sometimes jokey, sometimes trying to be (a bit too) clever, and sometimes unintentionally offensive. It takes all sorts, and we're certainly a mixed (up) lot on here! :D

brackley
UTS Veteran

Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:31 pm

No offence taken ......... after all,its all we have to hold on to a bit of p*ss taking.

.... Perhaps I need to introduce myself:-

39, married with 2 children, born in Reading and lived down south all my life after the old man relocated from Walsall to london back in the 50's (work), some family still dotted around the black country. He was born/and lived in Milton Street, my nan ran a hat shop in the 30's/40's in Wednesbury and his grandfather was a builder by trade and built the 'General' hospital in Walsall that was....

Been standing on the terraces since 1977 and go to as many home and away games that I can get too - now living in northamptonshire. The old man has supported since the 30's and was signed on amateur forms with the Baggies (keeper) by W G Richardson before injury curtailed his time at the Hawthorns.

I played myself as a Keeper, c 500+ games as semi-pro in the Conference/Premier Divisions down south.

Live for WFC, always have and always will........ proud to wear the shirt and Walsall has always been my spiritual home!!!

BRACKLEY SADDLER

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:40 pm

Good man, Brackley. Welcome to UTS.

brackley
UTS Veteran

Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:48 pm

Cheers Exile......

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:45 pm

Are you the most qualified to be a" pundit" on UTS? 500 games at a decent level? :P

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:43 am

Dis-qualified if anything.

He may be able to deal in facts, but how is he with FACTS?

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:08 pm

latviancheese wrote:Are you the most qualified to be a" pundit" on UTS? 500 games at a decent level? :P

Depends how you define "a decent level". It's not too decent if he's ever conceded a goal to James Constable or Mark Wright. :mrgreen:

brackley
UTS Veteran

Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:59 pm

Certainly conceded............ but not to a Saddler, not unless you count Steve Claridge that is.........

Dis-qualified fits nicely........ us keepers were never blessed with much of the grey-matter :wink:

brackley
UTS Veteran

Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:40 pm

My team for Saturday would be: 4-1-3-1-1

........................................Gnakpa.............................................

..................................................Macken...................................

.......................Peterlin.........Taundry.......... Beevers........................

........................................Chambers...........................................

........Sadler ............. Smith...............Lancashire...........Westlake.........

..........................................Walker.............................................

Subs: Grof, Bowerman, Paterson, Nicholls, Grigg

PreviousNext
Return to 2011-12 Season