Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Scunthorpe United (H) League 1 Saturday 17/9/11

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
ws3
Glitterati

Scunthorpe United (H) League 1 Saturday 17/9/11

Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:40 am

Bernie wrote:I hope Smith spends a lot of time watching the DVD of today's match. Not just to see how poor most of his players were, but to see the way that Scunthorpe played the game. They kept the ball on the ground, passed to each other and frankly were a pleasure to watch. OK their strikers could not find the net most of the time, they wasted a lot of chances and nearly lost to a couple of flukey goals, but I wish Smith would tell his players to try to play the game like Scunthorpe did today.

I agree with some of this, but flukey goals? I don't think so. Against the run of play yes but flukey no.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Re: Scunthorpe United (H) League 1 Saturday 17/9/11

Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:42 am

PT wrote:
Saigon wrote:Can someone briefly describe the goals?

Two white posts eight yards apart and eight foot high with a horizontal bar (the "cross-bar")between the two at their maximum height. These support netting which is attached to the posts and the cross-bar and is anchored by items not dissimilar to tent pegs behind the posts to prevent a football that has gone between the posts and under the cross-bar from escaping.

I'd need to conduct a survey to see what the crowd think of these but "necassary" or "essential" are two words that spring readily to mind.

:D

I would prefer it if they were "square"

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:49 am

Bernie wrote:I hope Smith spends a lot of time watching the DVD of today's match. Not just to see how poor most of his players were, but to see the way that Scunthorpe played the game. They kept the ball on the ground, passed to each other and frankly were a pleasure to watch. OK their strikers could not find the net most of the time, they wasted a lot of chances and nearly lost to a couple of flukey goals, but I wish Smith would tell his players to try to play the game like Scunthorpe did today.

I have often wondered what managers actually see when they watch the re-run of matches. During yesterdays game and in conversation with everyone around me both in the seats and at half time everyone appeared to agree on players, tactics, the managers decisions and the opposition. Beevers and Martin are both absolutely terrible players. I note that a number of posters had 'excused' our latest loan signing performance on Tuesday with various excuses translating to not match fit and needs time to bed in. It doesn't matter whether he has played regularily or not, if he was any good we would at least see something of promise - we haven't; he's useless. Beevers; a complete mistake by Smith, what on earth does he see when he watches players? A terrible player. Stop picking Nicholls, what's the point?
The players body language showed not only were they lacking in confidence but they also had a very poor committment not only to themselves but to whatever plan Smith had programmed them with was clearly not being implemented. A series of half hearted tackles, poor passing and marking, a total lack of any meaningful communication with each other made for an awful performance. Taundrey appears to be losing the remarkable transformation he has undertaken since last season, Chambers looks dreadful alongside him and even the slightly improved performance by Jarvis was only a reflection of the poor performances of others around him.
We are looking like certain relegation fodder unless Smith can turn things around, what has happened to the players since the Sheffield performance, why did one of our most skilful and intelligent players, Hurst, not start? We only started to play in the last 10 minutes when he came on and linked quite well with Patterson.
Bernie is right, Smith clearly has a problem with his decision making on players and tactics; SORT IT OUT!

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:27 pm

after watching walsall sober 3 matches in a row i have been so put off that im going to be true to my word and play saturday football.

p.s i think you should all support the real walsall, the trust team :lol:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:59 pm

tinned wrote:What we all wanna know AM is did you manage to finally get in the Saddlers Club? :D

Tinned...what do you think?
"Are you a member?"
"No I live in Dewsbury, how could I contemplate being a member?"
"Sorry, can't let you in then!"

Settled for a good pint of Strongbow in the F2G Middle bar, watched orrible Blackburn muller Arsenal, and chatted to some knowledgeable oldies like myself about the futility of having a choice of striker that consisted of Patterson & Grigg!! :)

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:08 pm

PT wrote:

Two white posts eight yards apart and eight foot high with a horizontal bar (the "cross-bar")between the two at their maximum height. These support netting which is attached to the posts and the cross-bar and is anchored by items not dissimilar to tent pegs behind the posts to prevent a football that has gone between the posts and under the cross-bar from escaping.

I'd need to conduct a survey to see what the crowd think of these but "necassary" or "essential" are two words that spring readily to mind.

"essential" isn't a word that springs to mind the end we attack.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:16 pm

Two things I have not seen mentioned yet. Did nobody see Chambers get away with a blatent handball in our box 1st half?
And did anyone see Martin blast the ball out of defence when Paterson was in the clear and screaming for just a simple pass ?.
It was that bad you wouldn't even see that at Sunday League football.

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:24 pm

Graydon48 wrote:Two things I have not seen mentioned yet. Did nobody see Chambers get away with a blatent handball in our box 1st half?
And did anyone see Martin blast the ball out of defence when Paterson was in the clear and screaming for just a simple pass ?.
It was that bad you wouldn't even see that at Sunday League football.

That summed Martin up. Championship class may arse.

Can I add, did anyone see Beevers mark his man, instead of getting drawn inside every 30 seconds??? No nor me.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:16 pm

PT wrote:

That's excellent, thanks.

But what is a "necassary" ?
Is it part of the net matrix or post/bar ensemble, or does it describe the crowd reaction?

PT
Site Addict

Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:47 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
PT wrote:

That's excellent, thanks.

But what is a "necassary" ?
Is it part of the net matrix or post/bar ensemble, or does it describe the crowd reaction?

:oops: :oops: :D :D

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:51 pm

An example of great defending from beevers amd execution from grigg.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14863917.stm

Flemish Saddler
Prediction Master

Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:09 pm

tinned wrote:Mind you according to the WFC official Facebook page we were "by far the best team in the first half". What game were they actually watching????? :shock: :shock: :shock:

they must have had even more beers than us to conclude Walsall even played football in the first half.... :shock: :wink:

i'll be very short on this game: i was shocked by the poor performance, shocked again by such a great goal in such a poor game, and not shocked at all by the late equalizer, you just felt the ball was going to hit the back of the net once more, sometimes justice excists.... or not as Scunthorpe was the only team deserving points....

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:25 pm

Why do we only start to play when we are losing?

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:39 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:Only 1 bright thing to come from this match.... goal of the season by Grigg, coolest celebration.

Great finish from Grigg - almost Van Basten-esque!! (Maybe not quite the acute angle though!)

Couldn't really tell the celebration from the bbc highlights - what was it?

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:08 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:
Whitti Steve wrote:Only 1 bright thing to come from this match.... goal of the season by Grigg, coolest celebration.

Great finish from Grigg - almost Van Basten-esque!! (Maybe not quite the acute angle though!)

Couldn't really tell the celebration from the bbc highlights - what was it?

Simply stood there like CANTONA.

Previous
Return to 2011-12 Season