Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Scunthorpe United (H) League 1 Saturday 17/9/11

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Re: Scunthorpe United (H) League 1 Saturday 17/9/11

Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:10 pm

Oh well at least we ay lost 4 on the trot (straws said clutching he at) :D

Biggles
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:14 pm

The words 'long' 'hard' and 'season' come to mind...

chesterperry

Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:42 pm

I'm sure there will be a lot of agreement with this but that was truly awful, for those of you who didn't go or didn't listen, look at the BBC match stats. Speaks volumes, against a side with no league wins this season.

The seasob indeed going to be long and hard

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:44 pm

Only 1 bright thing to come from this match.... goal of the season by Grigg, coolest celebration. Truly awful game again... second half was marginally better. They scored a good goal at the end, it was the least they deserved.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:51 pm

Dean Smith's fault today. Grow a pair, and admit that our midfield needs root and branch change - starting with the dropping of Taundry or Chambers. It's not worked for weeks now (if it ever has). Clear as day.

Sort it.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:30 pm

Striker, CM and a winger or I can see us facing relegation.

Abysmal side we've got here...

Lone Striker

Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:36 pm

Agree with KC, the manager got it wrong today. The system to start with just did not work with Chambers, Petertlin and Taundry in a central midfield that was still outplayed by the two that Scunthorpe had. We then changed to 4-4-2 to match their system, however, because of the players on the pitch end up with Taundry on the right side of a midfield four, even his biggest supporter would not play him in that position. This situation only happened because the manager would not decide on who to leave out, Taundry or Chambers as after Tuesday Peterlin had to start, had he made the decision we would have been 4-4-2 from the start, the system we have played all season to date.

Okay, disappointing to concede as late as we did but on the balance of the game we should be grateful with the point that we have taken, on chances created we could easily have lost that game, they must have missed 4 or 5 gilt edged chances.

Happy to see Lancashire back alongside Butler and we did try to pass the ball from the back more than in previous games, we continue to lack creativity any where on the pitch and cannot see that Martin is any better than Hurst on the two showings this week. We really miss the hold up play of Macken and need his quality in the team as a platform to build from.

Good to hear on Radio WM Dean Smith admit that we were poor and go on to say that if the current squad do not perform they will be moved on with replacements coming in, lets hope he is true to his word because 1 point from two home games against teams below you in the league is not good enough and should start alarm bells ringing. Lets see what this week brings.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:43 pm

There were 3 positives today.

- Will Grigg's goal. Classic volley.
- Butler/Walker being immense as usual
-Smith admitting that we were 'rubbish' and that if players continue playing that way, they'l be shipped out and new ones brought in. Big respect to anyone who says we're crap when we are. Hutchings and DD never.

That was horrific, and work rate is quickly been made to look in-effective against quality. Scunthorpe could and should have had that won in the first half if it wasnt for Walker's acrobatics and Butler's last ditch, body on the line defending as always.

Does anyone in the OAP stand wear glasses? Chambers MOTM? Why because he scored a flick on header from 6 yards?

Butler or Walker all day, everyday.

Very, very poor. This squad on paper looked naff before the season started and after a bright start looks like its showing true colours.

Oh and i'd legitimately swap Ryan Jarvis for any of Sam Parkin, Par Ciderquest and Chris Palmer. Truly woeful, lucky to pick up a wage.
Last edited by Sadders on Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:44 pm

Dont worry Smith will learn from todays mistakes and take us into the top 10. MMF told me.

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:46 pm

Suppose the fact that we avoided a fourth successive defeat is a small positive to take ,

Performance wise nowhere near as a good as we started the season , a lot of hard work and soul searching needed to avoid yet another relegation battle.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:46 pm

Sadders wrote:There were 3 positives today.

-Smith admitting that we were 'rubbish' and that if players continue playing that way, they'l be shipped out and new ones brought in. Big respect to anyone who says we're crud when we are. Hutchings and DD never.

That was horrific, and work rate is quickly been made to look in-effective against quality. Scunthorpe could and should have had that won in the first half if it wasnt for Walker's acrobatics and Butler's last ditch, body on the line defending as always.

Does anyone in the OAP stand wear glasses? Chambers MOTM? Why because he scored a flick on header from 6 yards?

Very, very poor. This squad on paper looked naff before the season started and after a bright start looks like its showing true colours.

What about Paterson's performance? I thought he was really good today, constant threat and has a fair few tricks in his locker, start him against Col U myself.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:47 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:Dont worry Smith will learn from todays mistakes and take us into the top 10. MMF told me.

Shut up.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:49 pm

Darth Vader wrote:

-Smith admitting that we were 'rubbish' and that if players continue playing that way, they'l be shipped out and new ones brought in. Big respect to anyone who says we're crud when we are. Hutchings and DD never.

What about Paterson's performance? I thought he was really good today, constant threat and has a fair few tricks in his locker, start him against Col U myself.

Thought the same myself. We need to get rid of the hoofing, it's bloody inept.

Was a small, tiny spell where we popped a few passes around and lo and behold, we managed to get to the Scunthorpe goal. Get that back and I think we'll be ok.

SWS1

Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:54 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:

Was a small, tiny spell where we popped a few passes around and lo and behold, we managed to get to the Scunthorpe goal. Get that back and I think we'll be ok.

Optimist!
:shock:

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:54 pm

We were very poor. We just have a distinctive lack of pace and quality. The only one with a bit of flair was Paterson who was my MOTM by a country mile. Scunny have every right to feel aggrieved. They were the better team throughout and really should've won.

Scunny are a good team, knocked it around nicely and exploited the space very well. However, they lack that cutting edge upfront to make the a real force.

We need to make changes and quick.

Walker - Good to see him back and his experienced showed, pulling off a few decent saves.

Beevers - Woeful, No way is he better than Westlake. He's too slow and clumsy. He is very unfit too. For most of the second half he looked like he was about to collapse.
Butler - Did what he could, few decent tackles. Had a decent game.
Lancashire - Did ok i think.
Sadler - As reliable as always. Nothing spectacular but consistant!

Taundry - Few good moments but spent most the game running round like a headless chicken
Chambers - Had an ok game, but still not a patch on preseason.
Peterlin - Too inconsistant. Seemed to do something good and then follow it up by messing up the simplest of passes.
Martin - The bloke is just awful. Doesn't think about anything. Hopefully he'll come good, but just can't see it

Paterson - Bright spark out of the lot. Skill and pace and looked good, especially in the first half and towards the end of the second. My MOTM
Jarvis - Too slow and useless in the air. Did show some nice touches, but i'd much rather have Macken up top.

SUBS
Grigg - Fantastic goal and worked hard. Decent appearance.
Nicholls - Did fairly well to be fair, one of his better performances
Hurst - Looked bright when he came on but didn't have much time to make an impact.

Improvement is needed and quick. We need reinforcements, whether it be loans or freebies but with this team there is only one way we are heading. Down.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:55 pm

Would have been gutted if I was Scunny for dropping 2 points, the BBC stats didn't lie. Dross until the last 10 minutes when at least our front 4 looked able to create some threat on their goal + that wonder strike by Grigg. Please try the same front 4 next week Deano, but for gods sake get rid of BeevButthead at right back.

Tough year methinks.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:58 pm

Grigg...Grigg will tear you apart...again... :D

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:03 pm

SWS1 wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:

Optimist!
:shock:

Not really, just not about to slit my wrists over a game that we scored twice in even though we do look kack.

Most people on here had us down as the third quarter of the league team, don't see anything that has changed that. 14th at best.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:24 pm

Trouble?

From a Web Fans poster...

in addition to the shocking game of football, i left the ground and my mrs tx to say she was on the train station carpark to pick us up. On arriving i saw 15-20 youths, all walsall fans, square up to 4 or 5 Scunthorpe fans and upon abusing each other the walsall fans walked towards the station. Then a slanging match occured across the car park to the point of all the walsall fans running up to the car, the driver said i dont want no trouble but then had ten kinds of plop kicked out of his car. GET A GRIP YOU BUNCH OF K,N,O,B,S. sorry had to get it off my chest. Absolute joke

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:29 pm

Darth Vader wrote:Trouble?

From a Web Fans poster...

in addition to the shocking game of football, i left the ground and my mrs tx to say she was on the train station carpark to pick us up. On arriving i saw 15-20 youths, all walsall fans, square up to 4 or 5 Scunthorpe fans and upon abusing each other the walsall fans walked towards the station. Then a slanging match occured across the car park to the point of all the walsall fans running up to the car, the driver said i dont want no trouble but then had ten kinds of plop kicked out of his car. GET A GRIP YOU BUNCH OF K,N,O,B,S. sorry had to get it off my chest. Absolute joke

Sounds familiar - some people will come on soon as tell you to stop moaning, we need all the fans we can get. :roll: Personally, I would rather lose fans like this.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:51 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Assists for both goals from local boy Supertaundz

Attendance 3,619

There were 389 Scunny today, leaving only 3,230 Saddlers, already 700+ down on the opening game of the season. The early season optimism has ebbed away so quickly....

I wonder how many of the 500 young season ticket holders are turning up at the moment to get their £2 back?

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:24 pm

To quote a well known print management magnate: "Utter cack". Only difference to Tuesaday is that we managed to sneak a point.

At 2 - 1 Evo said that this game will be on Crimewatch.

If Beevers is a professional footballer then I might take my boots next game. So many times he gets drawn into the middle and leves his bloke in acres of space. Deano, pay him up and let him go.

Martin is a complete waste of space. The next train to Derby leaves in .......

Jarvis is a fraudster. Couple of decent goals and now he thinks he's the dog's and doesn't need to put in the effort.

No pace, no width, no passing. We never run at them with the ball, we never make any runs to give the bloke with the ball options. In short, we're miles off being good enough to stay up.

Mind you according to the WFC official Facebook page we were "by far the best team in the first half". What game were they actually watching????? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:14 pm

tinned wrote:To quote a well known print management magnate: "Utter cack". Only difference to Tuesaday is that we managed to sneak a point.

At 2 - 1 Evo said that this game will be on Crimewatch.

If Beevers is a professional footballer then I might take my boots next game. So many times he gets drawn into the middle and leves his bloke in acres of space. Deano, pay him up and let him go.

Martin is a complete waste of space. The next train to Derby leaves in .......

Jarvis is a fraudster. Couple of decent goals and now he thinks he's the dog's and doesn't need to put in the effort.

No pace, no width, no passing. We never run at them with the ball, we never make any runs to give the bloke with the ball options. In short, we're miles off being good enough to stay up.

Agree with most of the above, we were utterly cack from start to finish, Scunny mullered us in every department, if it hadn't been for some miracle saves from Wacka and Butler, and some appalling finishing from them (little wonder they fell from grace with finishing like that)We would have lost by three or four by half time. Moments to treasure from a cack day:
Wonder goal on the volley from Leo Sayer.
Wonder stop with legs by Wacka in first half.
Oxygen tent provided in latter stages for Beevers.
Best 'shoulder to shoulder' from Butler that I have EVER witnessed
Nicholls 'pick the best option' with an open goal staring him in the face? slam it into the legs of the defender, never mind the dual options to the left and right!
FOUR minutes extra time? where did that come from? Was this a Manure payroll referee? Cus it gave 'em the chance to get the inevitable equalizer.
What game were some of the above posters watching? Patterson was good? Blimey somebody was obviously on drugs if they thought THAT!
Who/what is that Martin bloke all about...he so utterly cack he makes the rest of our squad look good.
Relegation battle here we come..........Wasn't worth the journey at all, thought I was watchin non league stuff it was so bad. :(

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:20 pm

What we all wanna know AM is did you manage to finally get in the Saddlers Club? :D

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:22 pm

That was dire, how we managed to get a point i'll never know! We hardly passed the ball at all today, too many times it was hoofed forward and we lost all the resulting headers. Scunthorpe looked class, they passed it well through midfield and had the best player on the pitch in Duffy. We were lucky that they didn't have a decent striker two or that could have been an Arsenal Man U scoreline.

Walker - any better than Grof? Not sure, although he can argue with refs and opposition players much better.
Beevers - played like one. Couldn't mark a statue and left Duffy free all game, despite the fact that he was their most dangerous player. Doesn't deserve to play for us ever again.
Sadler - solid, but does have a tendency to hit high and aimless balls.
Butler - solid.
Lancashire - played ok, distribution good.
Taundry - master of the backpass, he can find Jimmy from anywhere on the pitch. That said 2 assists were good, but apart from that.
Chambers - MOTM, HOW!? failed to boss midfield and was largely anonymous, pushes over opposition midfielders rather than tackling them and gives away silly free kicks.
Peterlin - struggled to get into the game, not sure if he knew what his role was, at least he can pass the ball to a player, sometimes they're even to team-mates.
Jarvis - not good enough. simple as that.
Martin - send him back, did nothing, when he came back to defend he never won a tackle - he kept diving in and being beaten.
Patterson - player most likely to do something. he was skilfull and had the confidence to beat a player I thought he deserved MOTM.
Grigg - absolutely fabulous goal, premier league finish. Looked lively when he came on and put himself about, needs Macken alongside him.
Nicholls - after he came on we had a break when we had a 4 on 2 situation and rather than pass he shot, which was blocked. poor decision making.
Hurst - little time to impress, but if hes a winger Beevers should be playing for Man U.
We need a decent creative midfielder and another centre forward and a right back. Either Taunders or Chamber have to go.
Last edited by Sadsfan on Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:24 pm

I hope Smith spends a lot of time watching the DVD of today's match. Not just to see how poor most of his players were, but to see the way that Scunthorpe played the game. They kept the ball on the ground, passed to each other and frankly were a pleasure to watch. OK their strikers could not find the net most of the time, they wasted a lot of chances and nearly lost to a couple of flukey goals, but I wish Smith would tell his players to try to play the game like Scunthorpe did today.

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:32 pm

I agree Bernie, we didn't keep possession at all today. The midfield were totally overrun, but when they got the ball it was wasted.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:37 am

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:45 am

Can someone briefly describe the goals?

No more than 700 words if possible.

Crowd reaction optional.

:wink:

PT
Site Addict

Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:33 am

Saigon wrote:Can someone briefly describe the goals?

Two white posts eight yards apart and eight foot high with a horizontal bar (the "cross-bar")between the two at their maximum height. These support netting which is attached to the posts and the cross-bar and is anchored by items not dissimilar to tent pegs behind the posts to prevent a football that has gone between the posts and under the cross-bar from escaping.

I'd need to conduct a survey to see what the crowd think of these but "necassary" or "essential" are two words that spring readily to mind.

PreviousNext
Return to 2011-12 Season