Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Oldham Athletic (H) League 1 Tuesday 13/9/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
Neuromantic
Site Addict

Re: Oldham Athletic (H) League 1 Tuesday 13/9/11.

Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:07 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
Saarland Saddler wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:Oh dear. Thats 3 defeats on the bounce.
Although Smith as no doubt a poor budget, something doesnt seem right somewhere along the way.
After the home defeat against Brentford and the apparent big bust up in dressing room, the team have responded with 2 poor performances against 2 poor teams.

I must admit, when people were saying that was a good thing - I was a bit surprised. Negativity breeds negativity.

Apparently its a superb management sign according to MMF....................
Sounds it

We both know MMF talks rubbish most of the time ;) :mrgreen:

Love you Madge xxx

SWS1

Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:16 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:Oh dear. Thats 3 defeats on the bounce.
Although Smith as no doubt a poor budget, something doesnt seem right somewhere along the way.
After the home defeat against Brentford and the apparent big bust up in dressing room, the team have responded with 2 poor performances against 2 poor teams.

What's all this about a bust up? Got a link?
:cry:

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:24 pm

Dean Smith's post-match comments:

'Not quite sure how we lost all three games'

'Far from doom and gloom - some down on confidence'

'Lack of tempo and atmosphere - two hard working teams, not a lot of quality'

'Macken has a hamstring strain - Gnapka has a grade one hamstring (few weeks out)'

'Started a bit better today, then goal put us back'

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:25 pm

Absolute cack.

kshammer
Site Addict

Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:26 pm

Just got back from the match and have to say it was complete dross of the highest order from a team that haven't got a clue. I really have tried to stay positive and remain a big fan of Dean Smith but without more quality we are in trouble again. Make no mistake, this was similar to Hutchings reign, and how teams aren't winning by more against us is beyond me - maybe we have a bit more organisation. A very average Oldham popped the ball around easily and snuffed out any attacks we had without any trouble. We were left to hit aimless balls to Grigg who even if he was the new Messi, he would not have had a chance with them. We have no pace, no guile, no backup of quality and it seems no leadership during a game as we seem to play the same way regardless of whether we're playing well or poorly. The thing that wound me up the most though is how we can suddenly put them under pressure when there's only 10 minutes left - absolutely scandalous they can't do anything before. :evil:

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:28 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:Absolute cack.

I can't understand why we don't see more of your match reports on the front page, Steve. :wink:

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:29 pm

chestersaddler wrote:

I can't understand why we don't see more of your match reports on the front page, Steve. :wink:

Ask anyone who was there - mine is the most accurate you will find :mrgreen:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:29 pm

Absolute rubbish. Dire dire footballers. And tonight dean smith was tactically dire and clueless. Wish id stayed in and done the housework. Oldham strolled past us tonight. Grof had a decent gamebut the rest were tat. Beevers is bilge and grigg was useless, even if the service was shocking. Relegation fodder if we continue like that.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:31 pm

Due to work committments, I haven't seen a game since Bournemouth (and went to Sheff U). What the bloody hell has gone wrong? :shock:

longdogs
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:32 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

Ask anyone who was there - mine is the most accurate you will find :mrgreen:

Succinct and to the point. 100% in agreement.

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:34 pm

chestersaddler wrote:

Me either.

Front page match report link: http://upthesaddlers.com/wp/archives/20 ... ch-report/

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:38 pm

Exile wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

Me either.

Front page match report link: http://upthesaddlers.com/wp/archives/20 ... ch-report/

:lol: That's what I love about being a Walsall fan

UTS

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:46 pm

Coming out of the ground deanonev said to me "Write that one up then.", quite a challenge. Whenever I write up a match report I always try to make it balanced, positives and negatives without going completely over the top either way. However, if the swear filter wanted to highlight all the expletives I wished to use to describe the shocking ineptitude of that performance then the filter would break and this post would be glowing in the dark!!

I'm struggling to find any positives to take out of the game at all, there was no pace, no penetration, no variation in our play. It was just hopeless. Its very early in the season for teams to have figured out how to beat us but that is what seems to have happened. Close us down when shooting from distance, defend with a high line as there's no pace to get in behind, close down the centre backs when they have the ball, and we resort to hoofing it to players who can't win it and we lose posession and are back on the defensive. There is no Plan B for when Plan A of 'keep it tight and try to nick a goal' doesn't work. There was a sense of inevitability about the result the second their goal went in as you just couldn't see us scoring. We went for it in the last 5-10 minutes but it wasn't enough.

The worst part though is when you look at just how poor the opposition were. They were the worst team we've played this season other than Bournemouth and they will struggle. On Saturday I said Manny Smith always struggles when teams put their best striker on him and I stand by that, providing their striker is any good. Tonight he wasn't and as a result Manny got MOTM (correctly IMO) without playing any better or worse than he did in the last two games. That to me epitomises how poor they were.

I don't think its a lack of effort on our part, it just isn't good enough in terms of quality and all the other things that win you football matches.

Grof - The only other MOTM contender and continues to impress. Made a few decent stops tonight and was beaten by a Butler deflection, which Butler harshly gave him a verbal blast for.
Beevers - Wherever Chris Kamara dreamed up the phrase "They're defending like beavers" it wasn't from watching him. Was caught out numerous times in the first half, including one shocking piece of defending when he went with Butler to close down Butler's man leaving his own man completely free; a man who was duly picked out before squandering a shooting opportunity. Not sure why Westlake wasn't in the 16 but he surely will be back on Saturday.
Sadler - He doesn't seem to be affected by the shocking football being played around him and just plods on in his usual reliable manner. Solid.
Butler - A post above said he should have been sent off but I'm not sure. The man he was by went down off the ball late in the game but I didn't see Butler do anything, infact I didn't think he was close enough to him to make any sort of contact with him, but I guess we'll see. Was probably our biggest goal threat coming up from set pieces.
Smith - Sponsors MOTM and probably mine too, kept their striker in his pocket for most of the game. He may not have been up against much but you can only beat what's there and he played adequately tonight.
Chambers - Huffed and puffed but didn't really get anywhere, is crying out for support in central midfield.
Taundry - If anything he epitomises our season so far. Early season promise resulting in optimism for the future and higher than average expectations before returning to the usual below par performances we've come to expect. Like the team, has been pap since Tuesday and I'd replace him with Peterlin on Saturday unless we make a loan signing first.
Hurst - Someone else who may be better off in the centre of midfield. Seems to have a good engine and does carry the ball well, but is painfully slow for a winger. The highlight of the night was the woman next to me having a pop at some random old bloke who spent the whole game slagging him off to the exception of all the other rubbish.
Martin - Made such an impact I've even forgotten his name and had to look it up else I'd have called this section New bloke. He doesn't offer anything different. The only thing that makes it obvious that he's a replacement for Gnakpa is that he's tall and goal kicks are aimed at him. Hopefully he'll improve.
Grigg - Annonymous but because he was starved of service. Had our best chance when forcing their keeper to make a smart save from a header immediately before he was replaced.
Jarvis - Personally I'd have replaced Jarvis instead of Grigg as Grigg looked more likely to do something to get us back into the game. Had one shot from the edge of the box with the outside of his boot that went out for a throw in.

Subs

Nicholls - If one thing screams 'we have problems' its the fact he was the best option we had on the bench. That said, he did ok when he came on.
Paterson - Replaced Grigg and went upfront but I'd have preferred to see him out on the wing, although that may be because that's where he played everytime I seen him. Looked lively but the ball wouldn't quite drop for him.
Peterlin - Didn't have any time to make an impact on the game. If no loan signings come in I'd bring him in for Taundry on Saturday.

Also a quick comment on the atmosphere tonight, which felt like an early round JPT tie against Barnet. I'm having to miss the Scunthorpe match on Saturday to attend my step-sisters wedding. For weeks I've been giving her grief for getting married at 3 o'clock on a Saturday afternoon in the middle of the football season, but right now I feel like she might just be doing me a favour.

EDIT: One thing I forgot to point out, we are STILL picking up numerous stupid yellow cards for dissent. Macken did it on Saturday, his second of the season, and Taundry did it tonight. For crying out loud, just shut the fudge up lads!!
Last edited by priestley_saddler on Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:48 pm

Exile wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

Me either.

That made me laugh though :lol:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:50 pm

Grof, Chambers, Smith, Taundry, Butler and maybe Sadler were reasonable today - the rest went AWOL for various reasons. Either they were poor or didn't get enough of the ball. Either way - not the best game! :(

LancsSaddler
UTS Regular

Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:51 pm

Thats the first time i've felt we were hutchingsesque this season. Disjointed team, ineffective loan signing, subs left too late when losing and looking like we have no plan B. However i'd say the main problem was that we were not using our plan A! We dont have a big bustling centre forward and all we did by lumping it forward was give their lummocks of a couple of centre half heading practice and the easiest game they will have this season bar when the play orient! When we actually put the ball into griggs feet a few time he laid it off nicely more times than not and we at least had a chance. (so why take him off not jarvis...?) The problem is that it is hard to do this when you have two scrappers in centre mid rather than a scrapper and a ball player so the ball never gets to his feet. The difference that peterlin made when he came on was there for all to see. Someone who goes looking for the ball, gets past our forwards and can do something withe the ball! i am certainly not saying that he is a world beater, but in the limited matches he has been allowed to play he looked better than the other two options! (which is not hard when one of the options is Taundry...) I think that Smith needs to have a serious look at the balance of his team, i.e. there is no point playing two wingers if there is no one in centre mid to pass them the ball in a good position!

Anyway...

Grof: did nothing wrong, but i feel that Walkers experience may be needed at the moment and his inclusion may give the team a boost.

Beevers: no better if not worse than Westlake defensively and no where near as effective offensively. This was exagerated by playing hurst in front of him which would have given Westlake ample opportunities to overlap.
Sadler: Solid as always, MOTM
Smith: Solid, starting to get back to his best. I like his partnership with Butler. Distribution not the best but he is a centre back...
Butler: Commited, sometimes over commited... decent game though.

Hurst: slow, cant beat a man, crossing not the best... seems to be better when he comes inside, maybe on the left of a midfield 3?
Martin: First game and only joined today so do not want to judge him too much. on nice ball, but for a 'pacy' winger needs to run at his man more often. more than likely he was very nervous though!
Chambers: worst game ive seen him have but carried on workrate, can not play him and taundry together and Chambers is better at the defensive mid job.
Taundry: back to teh same old taundry after a bit more promise earlier in the season, people say he 'trys hard and hes a walsall lad' but im sorry hes just not upto it positionally and does not have the pace or skill to make up for it. we need to either give peterlin a go or get a ball playing creative centre mid in on loan.

Jarvis: nothing really came off for him, seems to look to get on the edge of the box to hit a screamer rather than get in the box as astrioker who is not quick or great in the air should.
Grigg: nice touches and holds teh ball up excelently when the ball is in to his feet, need midfielders breaking through to play off him. Stood no chance in teh air against their huge number!

Subs:
Peterlin: Like a breath of fresh air! a centre mid who wants the ball and looks to get forwards and get in behind the strikers making runs and linking up play. must start!
Paterson: looks like he wants the ball and makes decent runs at pace. bit weak at the moment but definately one for the future.
Nicholls: he may not have much but he has pace which is more than a few of our players. At this level that scares people so should start ahead of hurst or jarvis.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:54 pm

I thought Chambers actually got around well and used the ball. He and Taundry did some kind of job today - just the rest of the players around them (the rest of the midfield and forwards) weren't doing it.

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:07 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Exile wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

Me either.

:lol: That's what I love about being a Walsall fan

UTS

It's all about looking on the bright side and trying to have a bit of fun. Gallows humour used to be our speciality. I'm trying for a comeback! :D

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:15 pm

Exile wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

Me either.

:lol:

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:19 pm

priestley_saddler wrote:1-0 win, Grigg to get the winner from open play inside the penalty area.

Asps to be ejected from the stadium and then let back in two minutes later :wink:

Wish I had been.

Even our tannoy man had an Oldham accent.

:evil:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:22 pm

Didn't go to the game because of work, but my God does this sound messy.

Having been to the two games previous to tonight's, one of the things that worries me most is the way our tactics have changed. The season began with us rolling the ball from goalkeeper to fullback and playing measured football from there. Now, we're ruing the loss of a player fresh from non-league football because he's big and wins flick-ons from goal kicks. That's not Bonsor's fault, however you tell the story.

You then look through the side and see key areas which simply aren't working. Like them or not, Smith and Butler are hardly keeping us watertight at the back. Moving into midfield, not only to Taundry and Chambers create nothing to trouble the opposition, but they offer next to no cover for the back four as they're second to every ball all the time. The big question to Dean Smith is this - if the midfield isn't working, are you going to drop the local golden boy, or your 'star' summer signing? The choice is yours, but it's a choice you'll have to make because as things stand, we are indeed relegation fodder.
Matt Richards might not be able to get into Shrewsbury's starting eleven, but he'd certainly walk into ours.

The fact that Macken was missing tonight is telling as he's by far and away our best player. In fact, he's our only player as far as an attacking threat is concerned.

So, politics aside, Dean Smith needs to draw a line under his great escape exploits. Or rather, he needs to remind himself of what he saw last season before he took charge and realise where we're heading. We know how quickly a struggle can turn into a freefall.

Deano_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:26 pm

Complete and utter rubbish. I thought Sadler was great and Taundry was ok. The rest were absolutely dire.

Grof - Unlucky for the goal. Made a really good save in the 2nd half.
Beevers - Absolutely shocking
Butler - Worst i have ever seen him.
Smith - Terrible, probably the worst of the lot.
Sadler - Did not put a foot wrong and i don't think i have all season, best walsall player by a clear mile.
Hurst - Worst i have seen him, coulnd't beat his man and woeful crossing
Taundry - Nice few passes and the odd flash of quality. works as hard as ever but not really the best ive seen of him
Chambers - Rubbish 1st half, a little best towards the end of the 2nd
Martin - cant really judge him as a player but tonight he was crap.
Jarvis - haha, some people thought he might have been ok after a few goals. i'd take parkin ahead of him :shock:
grigg - very very quiet tonight, worked extremely hard but couldnt really get into the game.

I would give Peterlin and Paterson a go from the off on saturday.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:27 pm

I am not gloating - as I am far more bothered about the team playing well.

But... A lot of us said that Taundry would return to type. 2 good games in 10 as always - not good enough. We need someone else in there with Chambers.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:29 pm

Chambers seriously isn't much better than Taundry.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:32 pm

Darth Vader wrote:Chambers seriously isn't much better than Taundry.

Smith's tried Taundry and Chambers. He's also tried Taundry and Peterlin. None of these were particularly successful.

If he can't find the right signing in the loan/free transfer market, he's got to try Peterlin and Chambers before we're staring another relegation battle in the face. It's much harder to make signings then.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:33 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:Chambers seriously isn't much better than Taundry.

Smith's tried Taundry and Chambers. He's also tried Taundry and Peterlin. None of these were particularly successful.

If he can't find the right signing in the loan/free transfer market, he's got to try Peterlin and Chambers before we're staring another relegation battle in the face. It's much harder to make signings then.

I thought out of all pre-season that the Chambers and Peterlin combination was the best.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:36 pm

We need to bloody try those two together then! If it doesn't work get a CM in.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:37 pm

Darth Vader wrote:We need to bloody try those two together then! If it doesn't work get a CM in.

Still need one regardless - we have been saying for weeks and weeks! I can remember in July saying that we were crying out for one or two more in the middle! I cannot believe DS can't see this - I think 99% of people think it too!

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:38 pm

Relegation fodder. Pure and simple. Anybody that says different needs to take off the rose coloured spectacles and book a ticke tback to the real world.

Someone on anothe rchaps Facebook was blaming Grof for the defeat :shock:

Smith, was his MOTM to the player that could hoof it aimlessly up field the furthest? Granted there were a number of candidates for this but I can't think what else he won it for.

Oldham wor great but they could knock it round like Barcelona compared to our 2 passes and losr it strategy. We have no pace, no inventiveness, no power in midfield, no overlapping ..... the list goes on.

Deano_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:39 pm

Sadsfan wrote:Feel sorry for Smith, dire budget and having to scrape the barrel of cast offs. only the leech to blame for that.

sorry never ever will agree with that. Smith has exactly the same budget Hutchings had, no one felt sorry for him. I'm not saying that Smith is a bad manager but this is his team and if im honest i reckon i could have signed better players than what smith has.

PreviousNext
Return to 2011-12 Season