Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Notts County (A) League 1 Saturday 10/9/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
boringteacher
UTS Legend

Re: Notts County (A) League 1 Saturday 10/9/11.

Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:59 pm

Saarland Saddler wrote:
Registered Saddler wrote:Am I the only one that thinks it's long overdue that Jamie Paterson was given a chance? Looked sharp in preseason and seems to get frequent good write-ups for the reserves, yet has only played 8 minutes for the first team since the end of February. Any reason Smith doesn't rate him?

I think it's a simple answer. He is too lightweight. One gust of wind and he would be flying over the stadium.

Fraid I agree - I could fart him off the ball.

As to the defeat today, don't panic. We are going to finish lower mid-table this year, what more could you expect from a team with 3.5k gates rebuilding from the shambles of last season? It'd be lovely to be punching above our weight, but be patient and give our first competent manager for years a chance to build.

chesterperry

Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:21 pm

Just to be devils advocate, why do u think he's competent? Away record poor home record average and his signings?.....jury's still out!

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:43 pm

Thanks to the very kind Walsall chavs who gave my car a good bashing as the police "guided" them across the road earlier.

A) Stupid police tactics all afternoon, always the same in Nottingham, why won't they learn? Pathetic
B) Stupid Muppet Walsall idiots.... what is your problem in life? Some of them were older than me - sad gits.

Firstly I was annoyed at the way the police were handling it... then I wanted the police to give you a good bashing you pratts!

Rant over, thankfully my car seems OK.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:45 pm

Onto the game... we were bad.

The only enjoyment was seeing Saigon Saddlers ears bleeding when I was whistling at the annoying ref. :mrgreen: I have discovered his weakness mwah ha ha ha

bangsection
Site Addict

Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:05 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:Onto the game... we were bad.

The only enjoyment was seeing Saigon Saddlers ears bleeding when I was whistling at the annoying ref. :mrgreen: I have discovered his weakness mwah ha ha ha

To be honest, whistling isn't the first thing that comes to mind when someone mentions Saigon's 'weakness'...

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:12 pm

Well that was absolute torture. Completely out played for the first hour, surrounded by some of the worst humans who thought that by constantly booing and singing pointless songs about Lee Hughes they were in someway supporting the team. He doesn't care and neither do most of our fans who have more than the average amount of working brain cells, if he played for Walsall and on todays performance when he ran our defence ragged they would be singing his praises. Why don't these fans just get on and support the team instead of being complete cabbages?
I don't know what has happened since 'that' performance at Sheffield but we were awful all over the field, Macken being the exception as usual followed by a reasonable performance by Butler who after an appalling opening defensive display when he was a spectator to most of the action in our box eventually realising that he ought to put in his usual shift. Why does Smith persist with Nicholls, he's not very good and most people know it.
The referee was absolute pants, he appeared to ignore his usual senses and act out some preconceived plan which involved ignoring any dangerous tackles, shirt pulls, dives, handballs etc by Notts Country. He was rubbish - FACT
Best bit of the day was definately the pre match drink and tapas at the Riverside pub. That's it for now, I'm very angry that we are looking to be cannon fodder for any team with a plan.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:35 pm

Cully wrote:Well that was absolute torture. Completely out played for the first hour, surrounded by some of the worst humans who thought that by constantly booing and singing pointless songs about Lee Hughes they were in someway supporting the team. He doesn't care and neither do most of our fans who have more than the average amount of working brain cells, if he played for Walsall and on todays performance when he ran our defence ragged they would be singing his praises. Why don't these fans just get on and support the team instead of being complete cabbages?
I don't know what has happened since 'that' performance at Sheffield but we were awful all over the field, Macken being the exception as usual followed by a reasonable performance by Butler who after an appalling opening defensive display when he was a spectator to most of the action in our box eventually realising that he ought to put in his usual shift. Why does Smith persist with Nicholls, he's not very good and most people know it.
The referee was absolute pants, he appeared to ignore his usual senses and act out some preconceived plan which involved ignoring any dangerous tackles, shirt pulls, dives, handballs etc by Notts Country. He was rubbish - FACT
Best bit of the day was definately the pre match drink and tapas at the Riverside pub. That's it for now, I'm very angry that we are looking to be cannon fodder for any team with a plan.

Has always been the way (with a couple of years exception) for all my 50 odd years of following the Saddlers, we are always
a three pointer to any team with a bit of nouse...ever the bridesmaid. :(

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:41 pm

much the same as last Saturday , very slow out the blocks improved after half time , continue like this we'll soon find ourselves in another relegation scrap .

Worrying

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Two successive defeats and for the second successive Saturday we got exactly what we deserved from the game.

I hate those sort of games. Nothing to do with the match but because of all the no-beds who decide to turn up. The be11 3nd behind me just needed a slap as he ran through the team slating everyone from Grof, who did nothing wrong, to Gnakpa who despite coming off after five minutes with what looked like a hamstring tweak, and being greeted by the tw@ saying "I hope you don't effing play again all effing season, effoff back to the effing conference". I think he had one brain cell to say the f word and one for everything else, and the second one was on the blink (the first one worked fine).

On to the match. After the Shrewsbury game I said I was worried we were scoring too many spectacular goals and we wouldn't continue to get them. Every single goal we have scored this season has either been a screamer or from a set piece, barring Hurst's at Sheff Utd which came 11 seconds after the restart. We have very little creativity in the side at all, and even less pace, and it is starting to cost us because, apart from the last half hour against Sheff Utd, I'm yet to see a team where I thought "These are really good". I honestly think that with a creative player and a bit of pace upfront we could have won every single game we'd played this season (barring Middlesbrough in the CC). Their first goal was quality, but because it was everybodys favourite murderer I couldn't bring myself to applaud it. Some say the abuse inspires him to play better, but I think the fact he gets off on being a killer and uses it as motivation tells you everything you need to know about the character of the man.

But, we are where we are and I think the team itself is performing to the best of its ability, but on days like today it just wasn't enough. Our biggest threats came from set pieces but we have nothing from open play and this must be addressed.

Grof - I'm going to make a prediction now. Barring an injury/sending off for Grof, Wacka wont play again this season. Again did nothing wrong and I don't think he could have done anything about the goals.
Westlake - Nobby No-Brain behind me spent all match calling for him to be brought off, only to add that we were better off with him after he was replaced. It wasn't one of his better games to be fair and looked to be at fault for the winner.
Sadler - Mr 8/10 dropped below his usual standards today, scoring just a mere 7. Seemed to be getting frustrated by the lack of movement infront of him and tried to do too much himself going forward.
Butler - His best game for a while. Took one for the team by being booked in the third minute after being caught in posession, but was solid for the rest of the game and claimed the equaliser.
Smith - Up against the aforementioned murderer and did ok. Wasn't as bad as last week but was up against a better player today.
Chambers - His best game since the Orient match, the engine in the middle and tried to be creative. Its not his fault that he isn't.
Taundry - Claimed the assist for the goal but seems to have gone off the boil the last two games.
Hurst - Quiet game today, not at his best. If his set pieces had a bit more quality he'd have been a real threat. Switched to the right for periods of the game but was equally ineffective on either side.
Gnakpa - Got involved early but got injured in the first five minutes and was off. Expect him to be out for a couple of week.
Jarvis - Deserved to keep his place today but didn't really contribute and didn't look dangerous at all.
Macken - Another stupid booking for dissent his only notable contribution until he blasted high and wide in injury time.

Subs

Nicholls - Almost played the whole game. Did ok and battled hard, but as with everything else just seemed to lack that bit of quality.
Grigg - Replaced Jarvis but made no impact whatsoever.
Beevers - Replaced Westlake who was having a bit of a mare, and I don't think he faired much better. Certainly didn't convince me he should keep the RB berth.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:12 pm

IMHO Grigg and Nicholls are the two very weak links in an otherwise reasonably average squad..expect both to be employed 'elsewhere' on loan before very long to make way for a couple of incoming loan replacements. How Grigg can be coinsidered an international prospect is beyond comprehension.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:20 pm

That was bad. In the last three games we have been outplayed and still some people think Smith is the 'Special One'. No creativity in midfield, defence all over the place today, the front pair should have stopped on the team bus - with no service there was no point in them getting changed. What a pleasure it was to be surrounded by the brain dead of Walsall today, at least at away games that are a lot further away these morons aren't capable of finding their way any distance... just one bad day on and off the pitch.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:22 pm

Quality day out - shoddy performance.

Few thoughts in no order because I'm dire at writing up reports....

- Cracking stadium overall, love the location.
- The Notts C Stewards are the worst I've come across, persistently told us to sit down (failed obviously) and we weren't allowed on the back row due to the pillars or some testicles. Also I saw the stewards telling fans in the back of the Kop to sit - no wonder the home atmosphere was poor throughout.
- Because of this steward problem fans who wanted to stand at the back couldn't (no room) so they went right down the front and stood, causing problems as it seemed like we had a fair few tossers/chavs out today.
- The Police are even worse - 3 or 4 people got threw out for what looked like fudge all.
- We could have EASILY been 2-0 down by half time.
- The first half performance was the worst I've seen all season, dire, slow, hoof this hoof that - shocking.
- Jarvis and Sadler were both terrible, so was Hurst's crossing.
- Hated how much space we gave County - 1-0 up and they were allowed to pass the ball about up to the halfway line with f*ck all running towards them, where's the strikers piling on the pressure?! Once we actually did run at them Chambers won the ball and we got a throw-in.
- Those fit birds walking round at half time gave me a slight erection - wowee titties.
- Hughes' goal was top quality - can't knock that at all.
- When we scored it went ape, fantastic Saints-ish celebration.
- Good support from the Saddlers, 827 is a decent following and the noise wor bad.
- Wounding when Macken blazed that half volley over the bar in the dying minutes as was the bloody clearance after Smith seemed to chest it towards the net, bit harder and it've gone in for sure.

Poor overall, one or two decent spells but that's it, something needs to be done, a loan, ect. Definitely didn't deserve anything from the game...

Chris
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:43 pm

Fans can't win! If not enough turn up away from home, then cue the moaning about the poor following. When we do get a decent following, it's "alll these cretins that appeared out of nowhere". I could see the feisty ones amongst the crowd and to me, they were having a laugh and made a good atmosphere. And that's coming from a man who had a four year old he'd protect at any cost sitting next to him. It was all good natured banter between young lads having a laugh! It's a shame for you that Walsall couldn't find 800 odd fans with theatre etiquette and picnic baskets for the trip to Nottingham today, but you can't have it all hey! When will people realise that this is football and it used to be a lot worse? People are quick enough to use words like 'library' and 'cemetery' to describe dull atmoshperes home and away, but the minute a few lads turn up and act a bit lively, then it's an issue. Today the police and stewards created all the problems with a sometimes unbelievably heavy-handed approach. As for the anti-Hughes chants. So what? He made a fair few stray passes and missed a sitter, so who knows... perhaps the chanting stopped him getting a brace and an assist or two. To say that it's not supporting the team is naive. The lads would have been grateful having that sort of crowd on their side away from home, whatever they were singing, as long as it's pro-Walsall / anti opposition. Plus there were 20 pro-Walsall songs for every anti-Hughes chant.

As for the performance, I agree with most of what was said above, especially comparing it to last week's performance. We can't keep leaving it until 60/70 minutes before deciding we're going to make a go of it, because time's running out. We're back to aimless hoof ball again after Smith had us playing some decent stuff a few weeks ago. It's all getting a bit Hutchins esque for me as far as the football goes. Still....Keep the faith and all that. My only other point is that I thought Manny Smith was outstanding this week and last and I'm shocked at the comment above that "He wasn't as bad as last week". Different perspectives and all that though hey!

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:58 pm

Chris wrote:Fans can't win! If not enough turn up away from home, then cue the moaning about the poor following. When we do get a decent following, it's "alll these cretins that appeared out of nowhere". I could see the feisty ones amongst the crowd and to me, they were having a laugh and made a good atmosphere. And that's coming from a man who had a four year old he'd protect at any cost sitting next to him. It was all good natured banter between young lads having a laugh! It's a shame for you that Walsall couldn't find 800 odd fans with theatre etiquette and picnic baskets for the trip to Nottingham today, but you can't have it all hey! When will people realise that this is football and it used to be a lot worse? People are quick enough to use words like 'library' and 'cemetery' to describe dull atmoshperes home and away, but the minute a few lads turn up and act a bit lively, then it's an issue. Today the police and stewards created all the problems with a sometimes unbelievably heavy-handed approach. As for the anti-Hughes chants. So what? He made a fair few stray passes and missed a sitter, so who knows... perhaps the chanting stopped him getting a brace and an assist or two. To say that it's not supporting the team is naive. The lads would have been grateful having that sort of crowd on their side away from home, whatever they were singing, as long as it's pro-Walsall / anti opposition. Plus there were 20 pro-Walsall songs for every anti-Hughes chant.

As for the performance, I agree with most of what was said above, especially comparing it to last week's performance. We can't keep leaving it until 60/70 minutes before deciding we're going to make a go of it, because time's running out. We're back to aimless hoof ball again after Smith had us playing some decent stuff a few weeks ago. It's all getting a bit Hutchins esque for me as far as the football goes. Still....Keep the faith and all that. My only other point is that I thought Manny Smith was outstanding this week and last and I'm shocked at the comment above that "He wasn't as bad as last week". Different perspectives and all that though hey!

WELL SAID !!

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:00 pm

I disagree. Ask Whitti Steve is the idiots banging on his car were 'real' Walsall supporters.

It's embarrassing sometimes.

Chris
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:02 pm

Saarland Saddler wrote:I disagree. Ask Whitti Steve is the idiots banging on his car were 'real' Walsall supporters.

It's embarrassing sometimes.

I did mean to add, that is an exception if they were definitely our lot doing that. I was talking about the banter inside the ground.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:05 pm

I have no problem with noise, standing, chanting etc. I was stood at the back with most of the noise today. I also thought the stewards and police were pathetic today. That said, we still have some idiots who seem to come out for the closer games. Not supporters IMHO or fans, just idiots.

It was definitely "our lot" I am ashamed to say.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:13 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:I have no problem with noise, standing, chanting etc. I was stood at the back with most of the noise today. I also thought the stewards and police were pathetic today. That said, we still have some idiots who seem to come out for the closer games. Not supporters IMHO or fans, just idiots.

I can understand you being upset, Steve, but surely they are supporters, otherwise they wouldn't be there. It's an unfortunate reality that football attracts some people of low intelligence and others that think that drinking too much and misbehaving makes for a good day / night out.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:17 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:I have no problem with noise, standing, chanting etc. I was stood at the back with most of the noise today. I also thought the stewards and police were pathetic today. That said, we still have some idiots who seem to come out for the closer games. Not supporters IMHO or fans, just idiots.

The are Walsall supporters.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:23 pm

From reading the match reports it seems Deano is entering his first real test phase. For the first time since his appointment things have started to look on a downward curve with results and performances suffering. It's how reacts to this situation that will go a long way to deciding whether or not he is the real deal. Will he change things around and inject new life into the squad or will we just withdraw into our shells and continue to do more of the same? I am still confident of his abilities but the next month will reveal much.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:24 pm

You Reds wrote:

Ok. Whatever, they are still idiots who I wish weren't !

Chris
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:24 pm

That's really bad. I'm sorry you went through that.

These idiots who come out for closer games though; what were the ones you saw inside the ground today actually doing to make them idiots?

For me, it's just the younger lot. And yeah, they probably do find it easier to make it to the more geographically convenient games, as they might not be as financially established as some of our more mature followers, purely because they are young and still getting on their feet financially. It's a dear game travelling away, even in this division. I think we all know that. If they just wanted to cause trouble or have a fight, there are far cheaper ways they could achieve that. They are there because they support Walsall; like it or not. I don't think a club our size can afford to be picky about who follows them. Personally, when I'm out and about on non-football days out and I meet another Saddler, it's such a rare occurence that I have to stop myself hugging them out of solidarity; whatever their age or personality. Why would anyone put themselves through the dross, expensive football just to be a chav when they could do it for the price of 4 Stellas in their local park.

All I know is that I didn't see any violence or excessive hostility in the ground today. I thought the fans were great. Even the rowdier ones.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:28 pm

Chris wrote:Fans can't win! If not enough turn up away from home, then cue the moaning about the poor following. When we do get a decent following, it's "alll these cretins that appeared out of nowhere". I could see the feisty ones amongst the crowd and to me, they were having a laugh and made a good atmosphere. And that's coming from a man who had a four year old he'd protect at any cost sitting next to him. It was all good natured banter between young lads having a laugh!

Brilliant post, the people moaning are exactly the ones that make me want to tear my hear out. We finally take a decent following, it's a bit boisterous - IT'S FOOTBALL!!

Moan, moan, moan, moan......some idiot swore at a player, some idiots brushed past my car, the person next to me was clapping too loudly, they're all chav's and don't represent the club, what are the youth of today like!!

Let's hope we get relegated to the Blue Square Premier and can finally rid ourselves of these idiots, we can then all sit in silence sipping bovril!

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:31 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:
You Reds wrote:

:lol: I'm sorry lets get this straight, you wish they weren't Walsall supporters?! Do you know how much our atmosphere would be cut by then? I don't know any of these lads personally but Jesus they do a great job at getting the atmosphere going, home and away.

Much prefer this type of fan to the boring, sit down and occasionally clap supporter....

SWS1

Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:32 pm

To be honest, I think that was a very poor result.

The squad is not good enough. There is no one who can come off the bench to change a game. No depth, no strength.

We need a striker with pace, someone who can create in midfield and another winger at least. Not good enough. I really hope we strengthen.

Do you mean like, er, Ishmel Demontagnac, for example?
:mrgreen:
(Notts Cuonty seem to be the refuge for the bad boys of the league, don't they? Let's hope they don't prosper...but it's a cruel world. :( )

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:35 pm

There is a nickname we give the 30 or so idiot chavs: 'The Dustbins'. :mrgreen:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:35 pm

As disappointing as it is to say, we've been here before. Notts police didn't cover themselves in glory when we played at the City ground a few years ago. Today, one Walsall fan got needlessly singled out for standing up and singing. The fact that there was a mob doing exactly the same both behind and in front of him seemed to count for nothing. I've scarcely seen trouble at football, but when I have, it's generally been due to complete incompetency by police.

Anyway, onto the game. We were poor. Unlike last season, this squad is together, it's looking to work as hard as it can for the manager, but frankly, it's just not good enough in terms of quality.

Westlake made a steady start to the season, but was carved apart twice this afternoon. Fair play to Dean Smith for not singling him out when prompted on WM, but the winner was largely his fault, unfortunately.

That aside, where are the chances coming from? We did look like scoring two or three times during the game, but all of those were via set pieces, which you'd expect to come good every once in a while.

Midfield is a huge concern for me. Chambers improved as the game went on, but neither he nor Taundry get into the final third to worry defenders. Peterlin fits that mould too. We desperately need to sign someone who will either do all the defensive work, letting Taundry/Chambers to push forward, or someone with flair to play in front of Chambers/Taundry. At the moment, we have two midfielders who are the epitome of 'jack of all trades, master of none'.

When things aren't working in the middle, you can usually rely on your wide players to create. Not in our side, you can't. Like him or not, Gnakpa is a defenders nightmare because of his physique and his ability in the air. Once he went off this afternoon however, we had Nicholls and Hurst huff and puff but fail to create anything worthy of being called a chance. Nicholls' run and shot would be encouraging if it wasn't for the fact that we know he never puts those chances away. Never. Hurst is also flattering to deceive - he's got ability, but struggles to translate that into anything which impacts on a game.

The odd thing is, I thought both Macken and Jarvis played reasonably well. They just don't see enough of the ball in threatening areas to make things count.

Smith has given his squad the chance to impress since the start of the season, but the way things have faltered should be enough to suggest we need more options. I'm not usually one to go for the jugular in terms of wholesale changes, but I really feel he needs to shake things up for Tuesday's game before we find ourselves in a bit of a rut. I'd replace Grof, Westlake, Smith and Nicholls with Walker, Beevers, Lancashrie and Paterson and take things from there.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:40 pm

SWS1 wrote:To be honest, I think that was a very poor result.

The squad is not good enough. There is no one who can come off the bench to change a game. No depth, no strength.

We need a striker with pace, someone who can create in midfield and another winger at least. Not good enough. I really hope we strengthen.

Do you mean like, er, Ishmel Demontagnac, for example?
:mrgreen:
(Notts Cuonty seem to be the refuge for the bad boys of the league, don't they? Let's hope they don't prosper...but it's a cruel world. :( )

No, not Ishmel Demontagnac. We need someone who can come off the bench and then manage to stay on the pitch :D

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:41 pm

You Reds wrote:
Whitti Steve wrote:
You Reds wrote:

:lol: I'm sorry lets get this straight, you wish they weren't Walsall supporters?! Do you know how much our atmosphere would be cut by then? I don't know any of these lads personally but Jesus they do a great job at getting the atmosphere going, home and away.

Much prefer this type of fan to the boring, sit down and occasionally clap supporter....

Have you even read my posts? I was stood with the people creating the noise. They are NOT the ones I am moaning about. I am moaning about the twerp bashing cars, fight police and generally trying to cause trouble. Not the same people!

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:43 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
Chris wrote:Fans can't win! If not enough turn up away from home, then cue the moaning about the poor following. When we do get a decent following, it's "alll these cretins that appeared out of nowhere". I could see the feisty ones amongst the crowd and to me, they were having a laugh and made a good atmosphere. And that's coming from a man who had a four year old he'd protect at any cost sitting next to him. It was all good natured banter between young lads having a laugh!

Brilliant post, the people moaning are exactly the ones that make me want to tear my hear out. We finally take a decent following, it's a bit boisterous - IT'S FOOTBALL!!

Moan, moan, moan, moan......some idiot swore at a player, some idiots brushed past my car, the person next to me was clapping too loudly, they're all chav's and don't represent the club, what are the youth of today like!!

Let's hope we get relegated to the Blue Square Premier and can finally rid ourselves of these idiots, we can then all sit in silence sipping bovril!

Yawn! Try reading my post

PreviousNext
Return to 2011-12 Season