Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Brentford (H) League 1 Saturday 3/9/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Re: Brentford (H) League 1 Saturday 3/9/11.

Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:57 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:18,000 at Bramhall Lane again today, that's equivalent to the revenue of six of our home fixtures...what chance do we REALLY stand against such set ups?

We have problems in that our stadium has a capacity of 11,300
Sheffield United are in the habit of winning, like 4-0 today against Bury
Walsall seem only able to play well for short periods, not realising that it really is a 90 minute game. According to the BBC website we were well on top from about the 87th minute onwards.......

Casual D
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:31 pm

Was at the game today.
A weak first half performance and two great saves from their keeper won them the points today.

They were simply more competitive an composed than us for the first 45, pressed us high up the pitch and allowed us no time on the ball. It was a poor quality game all round, too many hopeful punts forward from both teams, but they probably deserved to go in ahead.

Second half began much the same until gnakpkpkpa came on for Macken and nicholls went up front. The threat of pace getting in behind them made their defence back off. This gave Jarvis the time on the ball to bring others into the game. Our midfield started to look much more in charge than theirs, and for 20-25 mins we were all over them, even though our final ball in open play AND from set pieces was very poor.
Jarvis had his brilliant strike from the corner of the area crash against angle of bar and post went it deserved to go in. Their (time wasting) goalkeeper made a great finger tip save from Hurst when it was curling in the top corner. When he did the same right at the end with nicholls' equally accurate effort you knew it just wasn't gonna be our day.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:15 pm

Starting to see why Orient let Chambers go - 1 game wonder so far.
Oh and don't forget Deano lovers we'd have lost that if Hutchings had been in charge.

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:27 pm

That was like the Leyton Orient game in reverse. They dominated the first half completely, Clayton Donaldson giving Manny the run around and there number 4 (who I think was called Bean) dominating in midfield. Then after the break they became content to sit back, invite us to break them down and try and hit us on the break.

For those that criticise Gnakpa, we saw today just how one dimensional we are without him. He's a presence out wide and must surely be recalled for the Notts County match next week. Also, with a half fit Macken and no Grigg our attacking options are very very limited. Our bench today consisted of a keeper, a centre back, a full back, a central midfielder and a winger. So when we were chasing the game there was very little we could do to change it. Had we managed to sneak a point then Brentford would have seen it as daylight robbery.

It would appear inconsistency is going to be our achilles heel this season, which is an improvement on last years consistently rubbish performances. But whilst its naive to get carried away with one good win at Bournemouth, its equally pointless to get too worked up by one defeat. Last week doesn't mean we're going up and today doesn't mean we're going down. I think the last two league games show just how this season will pan out.

Grof - Personally I was surprised he kept his place. But now he has the shirt he did nothing today to suggest he shouldn't keep it next week too. No chance with the goal but did everything else well. That said, on another day he could have been sent off after 15 minutes after appearing to aim a kick at Donaldson when coming to claim a bouncing ball. Although if he had managed to break a couple of Donaldson's ribs he'd have done us a huge favour.
Westlake - Steady. Defended ok, but seemed to hesitate before getting forward and his delivery was poor.
Sadler - As usual was Mr 8/10, which today IMO was enough to give him MOTM. Gave another now customary solid performance.
Butler - Got sponsorts MOTM by virtue of being Butler. Fully commited performance and made some solid tackles but was helpless to prevent the defeat.
Smith - I think his performance is likely to divide opinion. I think he played to the best of his ability, however, I also thought he was completely and utterly outplayed by Donaldson and as a result wasn't good enough. If Deano set a precedent last week by dropping a centre half then Manny's place must surely be under threat after today, even though I doubt Lancashire would have faired much better today.
Chambers - I thought he was largely annonymous for much of the game. Put a couple of meaty challenges in but we lost the midfield battle today.
Taundry - Produced a performance that would have qualified as 'below his usual level' last season, so this season it was very poor. Hopefully its just a blip.
Hurst - A possible contender for MOTM. Provided most of our good attacking play and forced a really good save from Richard Lee in the Brentford goal.
Nicholls - If pace alone was enough to make you a good footballer then Usain Bolt would be playing for Barcelona. Sadly, it isn't, and after a good performance against League Two opposition on Tuesday, reverted to type today. His stoppage time effort was comfortable for Lee when Gnakpa was probably better placed.
Jarvis - Another who I think may divide opinion tonight. They say form is temporary but class is permanent, and today seemed to highlight that Jarvis good run may sadly just be form as opposed to genuine class. I may have a been a bit less harsh if 1) his 35yrd screamer had bounced in and 2) he hadn't wheeled away in celebration before checking where it had gone.
Macken - Shouldn't have been playing as he clearly wasn't fit. We should have kept the same team as Tuesday and bought him on with half an hour to go if we needed him, which we did.

Subs

Gnakpa - We seemed to play a lot better after he came on. His presence benefitted the team, won his fair share of stuff in the air but still flattered to deceive with the ball at his feet.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:38 pm

To be frank, I thought that was abysmal. Regardless of the improved second half performance, we showed over the course of 90 minutes that we are just a team largely made up of players who will work hard without providing the enterprise needed to break teams down. Brentford looked similar to us in terms of the way they play, but they looked stronger and like they wanted it more. Deano can't settle for that.

Our main problem for me is that we don't have a midfield player who can link defence with attack. Of Taundry and Chambers, Taundry is probably the better but still has a tendency to get caught in possession too easily. Despite impressing me in pre season, Chambers isn't doing it for me - too slow to second balls and seems to be more of a 'scrapper' than the quality midfielder we need. That said, it's the chicken and the egg scenario - is it the midfield's fault for not collecting the ball from the back four, or is it the back four's fault for hoofing the ball forward without a second thought? I think Manny Smith is a capable defender, but today showed why you need a defender to do more than just clear the ball from the back. We didn't get a foothold in the game for 45 minutes thanks to aimless long balls forward. It's Lancashire over Smith for me, every time.

Ignoring the weakness of our squad, the team selection was also poor today. I could understand why Smith decided to play Macken even though he probably wasn't quite ready, but dropping Gnakpa was, in my opinion, a huge mistake. Gnakpa is a huge threat in the air and at least gives us an out ball when we can't play the ball out from the back. He showed when he came on that the ball sticks in the final third for much longer when he's on the pitch. The number of chances Nicholls has been given to prove himself is beyond a joke now, I'm afraid.

Yes, their 'keeper made a good save from Hurst and Jarvis came mightily close to adding another goal of the season contender but to be completely honest, picking those highlights out is papering over far too many cracks.

I realise this post probably gives the impression of an overly 'doom and gloom' outlook, but we got what we deserved from today's game.

SWS1

Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:45 pm

Graydon48 wrote:Starting to see why Orient let Chambers go - 1 game wonder so far.
Oh and don't forget Deano lovers we'd have lost that if Hutchings had been in charge.

Er, we did lose it. Do you mean we'd have lost by more? (Very likely)
:(

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:49 pm

SWS1 wrote:
Graydon48 wrote:Starting to see why Orient let Chambers go - 1 game wonder so far.

Er, we did lose it. Do you mean we'd have lost by more? (Very likely)
:(

Me thinks a whoooosh might be coming your way :D

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:04 pm

As a side issue, I thought the atmosphere was pretty flat today. But yet Brentford manager Uwe Rosler has described our support as immense :shock: :shock: :shock:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/14690750.stm

thickkearns
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:36 pm

we are a 45 mins team !!! every match this season we play awful in one half ....could be a long hard season if dont get some decent loan players in

bangsection
Site Addict

Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:36 pm

priestley_saddler wrote:As a side issue, I thought the atmosphere was pretty flat today. But yet Brentford manager Uwe Rosler has described our support as immense :shock: :shock: :shock:

[url]http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/14690750.stm[/url]

He probably looked around at the taciturn, ashen-faced proles and was instantly transported back to 80s East Germany. The Text OAP Stand and the Kop at Lokimotiv Leipzig circa 1983 are pretty much interchangeable.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:47 pm

Its funny how 2 people in the same stadium watching the same game can have opposing opinions of players.

A) First half and most of the game, Nicholls pace was our only threat. He was also the only one who deceided to remotely attack in a very poor first half.

B) Gnapka came on and flattered to deceive yet again, winning the header in the area and picking the ball up in decent positions, only to try and do some brazilian style turn, flick or over play and eventually lose the ball. He did it once down the right hand side and once down the left hand side where he hit the bloke right in his grapes. He's as frustrating as Byfield but Byfields end product was better.

C) I thought the atmosphere during the pressure was being applied in the second half was decent enough.

D) Most of our attacking play did come with Hurst involved at times, but that's the reason we had no cutting edge. He looks slow, has no tricks and his corners aren't great.

E) Smith got selection almost right. Although he should have taken Jarvis off at half time, let Nicholls pace work off Macken and play Gnapka wide right.

Overall, we lost todays game due to our inability to play for more than 45 minutes. Brentford were solid, stood their ground, pressed us and made it impossible for our lets say 'technically lacking' players to have an impact on the game. They were big and strong and defended well.

I think today overall summed up the negatives and positives of the whole Walsall FC playing team and squad at the moment. Looking at things, Bournemouth and Orient we've both beaten which shows we have enough to beat the struggling teams. We've lost to Middlesborough, Sheffield United and Brentford, the teams that havev bigger budgets than us and are tipped to do well. That kind of sums us up, we have the effort and enough about us to beat the crap teams (which is positive, seen as last season we didnt), but we dont have the finance to pay the players wages who have sufficient quality as well as the effort to beat the better sides.

Taundry and Chambers came up against O'connor and Douglas, who were strong, mobile and tough tackling and BOTH of them failed. Effort is one thing, but effort and class are far apart. Hurst looks slow to me and at times his pace really lets him down. The defence played well, especially Westlake and Butler who did the defending very well and Sadler who did the defending part well, but constantly over hit long diagonal floaty balls out of play.

On a positive note, at least we worked Lee in the second half. He and the Woodwork were the only reasons Brentford left with the points. He made a couple of cracking saves especially from Hurst and Nicholls late on.

Grof 7 - Didnt actually have that much to do, but his kicking was good and his communication is improving

Westlake 8 - Contender for MOTM for me, got forward when he could, especially in the second half and defended very well when was required to do so. Ever improving

Butler 8 MOTM - Typical Butler style performance. His performances haven't stood out as much as last season because the players around him look better, but his attitude, organisation and 'body on the line' style of attitud shouldnt be forgotten or taken advantage of. Still our most important player.

Smith 6 - Actually defended okay, but Donaldson gave him the run around at times with his movement. Its his constant hoof that lets him down, his close control, passing and actual 'football' are far worse than Ian Roper's. He has 5 days a week to practice, give him some ball time for god sake.

Sadler 7 - Defensively solid as always, particularly whilst under pressure from the opposing attackers. His distribution and attacking play weren't as good as we've been used to though. I suppose a defender is o nthe pitch to defend.

Chambers 6 - Again didnt really get a foot hold in the game. He hasn't got as involved since his red card against Middlesborough. He looked dis-interested tuesday night and depsite being more invovled again today didnt get enough control. Wonder if his lack of games for Orient in the last couple of seasons are effectiving how fit he is.

Taundry 6 - Same as Chambers. Didnt get a foot hold and gave the ball away. Wish he would stop playing the dreadful reverse ball he does, aimlessley down the line. He did it once with his left foot today and it looped in the air for a Brentford centre back to gobble up, if he'd have looked lfet there was an easy 10 yard pass on.

Nicholls 7 - Played well again I thought. The bloke behind me said towards the end of the half, Nicholls is the only one interested at having a run at their fullbacks. Faded a bit in the second half, but its no co-incidence that we looked lively with Nicholls's pace upfront Tuesday night in the first half and had our best spell today when he went upfront.

Macken 6 - Didnt really get involved, was clearly not fit and was hobbling before Smith replaced him after 55 minutes. Tried hard, but you can tell he's nowhere near fit.

Jarvis 6 - Did something decent followed by something dreadful. His lack of pace and agility is worrying, he also looks knackered 60 minutes into a game as we should be pushing high up the pitch. Nice strike that hit the bar though.

Gnapka 6 - Didn't really do much for me. Yes we became a bit more direct and yes he did look a bit more interested, but all he did was drag one shot wide, and lose the ball on either wing having skinned his man due to 'fecking around' like he's playing for Brazil. Needs more end product. You can't constantly play someone due his heading ability.

Not the best performance today then, but not as bad as last season. I dont think we're going down, but we wont be going up. Bring on Notts next week, sounds as though they played well today so that should be a big test.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:13 pm

priestley_saddler wrote:As a side issue, I thought the atmosphere was pretty flat today. But yet Brentford manager Uwe Rosler has described our support as immense :shock: :shock: :shock:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/14690750.stm

What a nice bloke!

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:17 pm

Game of two halves really and to be honest we deserve to lose if we're gonna start so poorly. They looked fitter, quicker and technically far superior to us in the first half, in all positions. Their midfield completely dominated and the pressure their forwards put on our defenders, by closing them down quickly, also exposed Manny Smith as the technically poor player he is. We improved second half but I do worry about our ability to actually carve out chances that split defences. I only feel like we will score if it is a screamer and that's a worry - i'd welcome a couple of good loans (the like of Cook from last year would be nice) who could offer a bit of craft.

Also, did anyone else see Dancing Kev have a go at that blokes car on the way out? Don't fancy his chances if they cross paths again as the bloke looked a right bruiser.

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:18 pm

Very disappointing , Deano as to get the message across a game lasts 90 plus minutes.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:27 pm

I know its early doors,but today was pivotal for me as to how our season will go,I had hoped for a win and to push on with the leaders but I am afraid we are doing what we have done for a few seasons not playing at full pelt for 90 minutes.Brentford wanted these three points more than us and got them and well deserved :(

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:50 pm

Total opposite of last week, no energy from anyone. The midfield were overrun, which was epitomised by Chambers dallying on the ball (despite being told twice by other team members there was a man on) which led to their goal. Because the midfield was so weak the back four constantly hoofed the ball forward, despite the fact that the forward line hardly won any headers. The number of times in the first half Westlake and Smith just hoofed the ball forward was ridiculous, Westlake improved second half but on one occassion Smith could have controlled the ball and set Saddler free and instead did a wild hoof forward to no one. We desperately need a centre mid and striker from the loan market. The other disappointment was the bench, only Gnakpa was an attacking option.

Grof 7 Couldn't do much with the goal but looked solid (Some joker phone WM and said he looked tired! :shock: :?
Westlake 7 better second half and tried to get forward.
Butler 7 MOTM (must be written into his contract) was solid, poor distribution
Smith 5 Couldnt handle Donaldson, couldn't pass along the ground
Saddler 6 Okay defensively, provided their keeper with catching practice from free-kicks.
Taundry 6 Got 1 trick, and didn't we see it today. Failed to use the ball well and failed to win the ball
Chambers 5 Vedry poor, at fault for the goal and failed to get a grip of the midfield.
Nicholls 5 Apart from his shot straight at the keeper at the end was largely anonymous. Waste of a place in the team.
Jarvis 5 Great shot, but apart from that was poor.
Macken 6 Looked unfit, turned his ankle first half and wasn't his usual self.
Hurst 6 Good shot, but apart from that was very disappointing. Poor decision making.
Gnakpa 7 lookied lively when he came on, think he'd be batter as a centre forward.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:17 pm

So a bad performance against Shrewsbury according to some people, followed by another bad performance today according to most people.
We will have a good performance soon and hopes will be high again.
Sound familiar?
See last season.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:31 pm

Idiot.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:58 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:So a bad performance against Shrewsbury according to some people, followed by another bad performance today according to most people.
Sound familiar?
See last season.

Afraid thats been happening for as long as I can remember (with a few exceptions) We are a small club, with no money
available to be in the slightest 'ambitious'. Like my late dad said to me "son if you support Walsall you will be following a Third or Fourth Division side all your life" Mines nearly over now, and how true his words still ring. But the Saddlers are,
and always will be MY team. I may get to see 'em at Wembley (Mickey Mouse Cup?) before I shuffle off this mortal coil, but I doubt it. However I still come away from every match I see with my voice box in tatters......MY Walsall, MY Saddlers. :)

MILO5
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:35 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:We are a small club, with no money
available to be in the slightest 'ambitious'. Like my late dad said to me "son if you support Walsall you will be following a Third or Fourth Division side all your life" Mines nearly over now, and how true his words still ring. But the Saddlers are,
and always will be MY team. I may get to see 'em at Wembley (Mickey Mouse Cup?) before I shuffle off this mortal coil, but I doubt it. However I still come away from every match I see with my voice box in tatters......MY Walsall, MY Saddlers.

Once a Saddler , always a Saddler . :D

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:39 am

kshammer wrote:Game of two halves really and to be honest we deserve to lose if we're gonna start so poorly. They looked fitter, quicker and technically far superior to us in the first half, in all positions. Their midfield completely dominated and the pressure their forwards put on our defenders, by closing them down quickly, also exposed Manny Smith as the technically poor player he is. We improved second half but I do worry about our ability to actually carve out chances that split defences. I only feel like we will score if it is a screamer and that's a worry - i'd welcome a couple of good loans (the like of Cook from last year would be nice) who could offer a bit of craft.

Also, did anyone else see Dancing Kev have a go at that blokes car on the way out? Don't fancy his chances if they cross paths again as the bloke looked a right bruiser.

Yes I was right behind the mong, he wouldn't move out the way as he walked down the exit ramp of the car park, so the bloke could not get past. He was bruiser & at one point got out the car. It then carried on when the car past Kev along the road. We were going to start singing d, der, der, d der der der, but thought better of it.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:13 am

I think, what I can assume, is that the long and short of it is that the squad is not big enough. A lot of people have been saying before the season even started that the squad is 2/3 players short at least. I think the position we find ourselves in now is going to be about right, but it is frustrating as with 2/3 quality signings we could do so much better.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:25 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:So a bad performance against Shrewsbury according to some people, followed by another bad performance today according to most people.
Sound familiar?
See last season.

Afraid thats been happening for as long as I can remember (with a few exceptions) We are a small club, with no money
and always will be MY team. I may get to see 'em at Wembley (Mickey Mouse Cup?) before I shuffle off this mortal coil, but I doubt it. However I still come away from every match I see with my voice box in tatters......MY Walsall, MY Saddlers. :)

Hang on in there MOG, look on the bright side

Bonser will be gone soon and you'll be drawing your pension :D

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:28 am

Saarland Saddler wrote:I think the position we find ourselves in now is going to be about right, but it is frustrating as with 2/3 quality signings we could do so much better.

I think that's true, but has been true for a number of years, and is probably true for at least half the clubs in the division, SS. It's the tipping point.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:04 am

King Crimson wrote:
Saarland Saddler wrote:I think the position we find ourselves in now is going to be about right, but it is frustrating as with 2/3 quality signings we could do so much better.

I think that's true, but has been true for a number of years, and is probably true for at least half the clubs in the division, SS. It's the tipping point.

...and I think that is why people are so frustrated with the lack of ambition by our wonderful owner. If we could have got just 2 players of real quality in midfield and up front we would really be play off worthy. So frustrating. A squad so threadbare as ours cannot be expected to perform to the same standard each week as the consistency is just not there.

bangsection
Site Addict

Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:14 am

King Crimson wrote:

I don't know a huge amount about the work of Malcolm Gladwell but might we conflate two of his more well known theories and posit the idea that "the tipping point" might also come as a result of the influence of managers like Ray Graydon and Richard Money turning average players into "outliers"?

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:18 am

bangsection wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

I don't know a huge amount about the work of Malcolm Gladwell but might we conflate two of his more well known theories and posit the idea that "the tipping point" might also come as a result of the influence of managers like Ray Graydon and Richard Money turning average players into "outliers"?

I heart Malcolm Gladwell.

motty
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:53 am

priestley_saddler wrote:That was like the Leyton Orient game in reverse. They dominated the first half completely, Clayton Donaldson giving Manny the run around and there number 4 (who I think was called Bean) dominating in midfield. Then after the break they became content to sit back, invite us to break them down and try and hit us on the break.

For those that criticise Gnakpa, we saw today just how one dimensional we are without him. He's a presence out wide and must surely be recalled for the Notts County match next week. Also, with a half fit Macken and no Grigg our attacking options are very very limited. Our bench today consisted of a keeper, a centre back, a full back, a central midfielder and a winger. So when we were chasing the game there was very little we could do to change it. Had we managed to sneak a point then Brentford would have seen it as daylight robbery.

It would appear inconsistency is going to be our achilles heel this season, which is an improvement on last years consistently rubbish performances. But whilst its naive to get carried away with one good win at Bournemouth, its equally pointless to get too worked up by one defeat. Last week doesn't mean we're going up and today doesn't mean we're going down. I think the last two league games show just how this season will pan out.

Grof - Personally I was surprised he kept his place. But now he has the shirt he did nothing today to suggest he shouldn't keep it next week too. No chance with the goal but did everything else well. That said, on another day he could have been sent off after 15 minutes after appearing to aim a kick at Donaldson when coming to claim a bouncing ball. Although if he had managed to break a couple of Donaldson's ribs he'd have done us a huge favour.
Westlake - Steady. Defended ok, but seemed to hesitate before getting forward and his delivery was poor.
Sadler - As usual was Mr 8/10, which today IMO was enough to give him MOTM. Gave another now customary solid performance.
Butler - Got sponsorts MOTM by virtue of being Butler. Fully commited performance and made some solid tackles but was helpless to prevent the defeat.
Smith - I think his performance is likely to divide opinion. I think he played to the best of his ability, however, I also thought he was completely and utterly outplayed by Donaldson and as a result wasn't good enough. If Deano set a precedent last week by dropping a centre half then Manny's place must surely be under threat after today, even though I doubt Lancashire would have faired much better today.
Chambers - I thought he was largely annonymous for much of the game. Put a couple of meaty challenges in but we lost the midfield battle today.
Taundry - Produced a performance that would have qualified as 'below his usual level' last season, so this season it was very poor. Hopefully its just a blip.
Hurst - A possible contender for MOTM. Provided most of our good attacking play and forced a really good save from Richard Lee in the Brentford goal.
Nicholls - If pace alone was enough to make you a good footballer then Usain Bolt would be playing for Barcelona. Sadly, it isn't, and after a good performance against League Two opposition on Tuesday, reverted to type today. His stoppage time effort was comfortable for Lee when Gnakpa was probably better placed.
Jarvis - Another who I think may divide opinion tonight. They say form is temporary but class is permanent, and today seemed to highlight that Jarvis good run may sadly just be form as opposed to genuine class. I may have a been a bit less harsh if 1) his 35yrd screamer had bounced in and 2) he hadn't wheeled away in celebration before checking where it had gone.
Macken - Shouldn't have been playing as he clearly wasn't fit. We should have kept the same team as Tuesday and bought him on with half an hour to go if we needed him, which we did.

Subs

Gnakpa - We seemed to play a lot better after he came on. His presence benefitted the team, won his fair share of stuff in the air but still flattered to deceive with the ball at his feet.

I agree i think gnakpa has lot of potential and this is why people get on his back a bit. But 40 minutes of trying doesnt mean he deserves to start every game and float in and out of consciousness for 90 minutes,However if he wants to try playing like that for the whole game, i feel we would be hard pushed to find anyone else better in his position on our shoe string budget. On a positive id rather have hurst than gray any day of the week good work deano.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:08 pm

motty wrote:On a positive id rather have hurst than gray any day of the week
Hurst is a pretty average third division winger, not a bad signing but as you can expect from third division wingers from time to time his crossing will be dreadful, as it was yesterday. Gray was certainly above average as a winger at this level. Smith picked him for every match, offered him a new contract, and I am surprised that Gray has ended up in Cyprus.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:32 pm

Bernie wrote:
motty wrote:On a positive id rather have hurst than gray any day of the week
Hurst is a pretty average third division winger, not a bad signing but as you can expect from third division wingers from time to time his crossing will be dreadful, as it was yesterday. Gray was certainly above average as a winger at this level. Smith picked him for every match, offered him a new contract, and I am surprised that Gray has ended up in Cyprus.

When Gray could be arsed, which would probably have been a month or two before his contract was due to be renewed.

PreviousNext
Return to 2011-12 Season