Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Brentford (H) League 1 Saturday 3/9/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
motty
UTS Legend

Re: Brentford (H) League 1 Saturday 3/9/11.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:25 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
Bernie wrote:
motty wrote:On a positive id rather have hurst than gray any day of the week
Hurst is a pretty average third division winger, not a bad signing but as you can expect from third division wingers from time to time his crossing will be dreadful, as it was yesterday. Gray was certainly above average as a winger at this level. Smith picked him for every match, offered him a new contract, and I am surprised that Gray has ended up in Cyprus.

When Gray could be bothered, which would probably have been a month or two before his contract was due to be renewed.

Correct.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:13 pm

Lethargic and dross performance

Need better players

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:54 pm

What worries me most is the difference between recent performances, and that fantastic showing at Bramhall lane, anyone that was there knows that we made 'em look like relegation candidates during that wonderful first half display, we spread the ball about like promotion candidates, flowing passes, flowing moves, tremendous workrate, thorough professionalism.
However, even that day the Walsall disease, of sitting back on a lead, came to haunt us once again...hence the result, since then we have slowly descended back into the rythm of walsallitis, anonymous bitty performances, some good some horrendous. I hope this is an early season blip, to be followed by a promotion push...unfortunately I doubt that.
Lots of talk about loan signings...but why should we need bolstering after but a handful of games? The squad should have been ready to go, but it obviously wasn't.
Oh for a REAL center forward (sorry, 'striker' in todays trendy speak) who could belt in a few goals for a change, I thought Jarvis might be that man, and might still be if Deano can get beyond thinking that Nicholls & Grigg will ever make footballers!

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Brentford (H) League 1 Saturday 3/9/11.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:26 pm

I wouldn't lump Grigg in the same category as Nicholls, personally. I think Grigg has got something about him in terms of his positioning and eye for goal that Nicholls hasn't.

Whitters
Site Addict

Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:09 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:What worries me most is the difference between recent performances, and that fantastic showing at Bramhall lane, anyone that was there knows that we made 'em look like relegation candidates during that wonderful first half display, we spread the ball about like promotion candidates, flowing passes, flowing moves, tremendous workrate, thorough professionalism.

Exactly!
Frankly though, anything is a miracle on attendances of 3,000-odd.
Smith and the lads just have to battle on and eventually the good folk of Walsall will come in their droves....

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:33 am

King Crimson wrote:I wouldn't lump Grigg in the same category as Nicholls, personally. I think Grigg has got something about him in terms of his positioning and eye for goal that Nicholls hasn't.

Absolutely

Darlosaddler

Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:17 pm

Not sure why Nicholls is getting stick, I thought at times he was our only outlet, I also thought he looked more interested than most players.

I'd like to know if Smith is telling Hurst to keep coming inside or he just thinks of himself as a Robert Pires? He is the main problem when we attack. We have no pace upfront so we have to get the ball out wide and put crosses in to the two big men. Hurst playing that stupid free role is doing us no favours at all.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:32 pm

priestley_saddler wrote:As a side issue, I thought the atmosphere was pretty flat today. But yet Brentford manager Uwe Rosler has described our support as immense :shock: :shock: :shock:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/14690750.stm

he must have heard me singing on my own then, i had a lil competiton before kick off to try keep the atmosphere going, me and 2 others against a row full of singers including wayne bowes but they didnt fancy it after 5 minutes into the match, really dissapointing, i resulted in just betling out some songs and to be fair people did join in and they got going, but no one else wanted to just break the mould and belt one out.

i understand people dont have to sing and in a perfect world we should be singing because of our team giving us something to get excited about, but we follow flamin walsall fc and the best thing about our club are our fans and support (when people are in the mood)

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:59 pm

Darlosaddler wrote:Not sure why Nicholls is getting stick, I thought at times he was our only outlet, I also thought he looked more interested than most players.

He doesn't deliver though. Dwayne Chambers would be a great outlet, but he wouldn't be able to do anything with the ball - just like Nicholls.

We won't win games because the likes of Nicholls look interested. We'll win them when the likes of him are either replaced or show they're deserving of a first team spot with what they do with the ball.

At least Gnakpa will start on Saturday. Showed he has some fire in his belly when he came on and played really well.

kshammer
Site Addict

Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:59 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
Darlosaddler wrote:Not sure why Nicholls is getting stick, I thought at times he was our only outlet, I also thought he looked more interested than most players.

He doesn't deliver though. Dwayne Chambers would be a great outlet, but he wouldn't be able to do anything with the ball - just like Nicholls.

We won't win games because the likes of Nicholls look interested. We'll win them when the likes of him are either replaced or show they're deserving of a first team spot with what they do with the ball.

At least Gnakpa will start on Saturday. Showed he has some fire in his belly when he came on and played really well.

Agreed on Nicholls.

He's been this promising youngster for about twelve years it seems and has about 2 goals in 763 appearances. A move would benefit us and him I think.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:04 pm

kshammer wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

Agreed on Nicholls.

He's been this promising youngster for about twelve years it seems and has about 2 goals in 763 appearances. A move would benefit us and him I think.

It's getting that way. Was much more promising before he broke his leg, and we've been waiting for him to come good ever since. Is he becoming a case of "he's gorra gew"? Don't know but surely this is his last season with us unless he comes up with the goods.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:30 pm

Exile wrote:It's getting that way. Was much more promising before he broke his leg, and we've been waiting for him to come good ever since. Is he becoming a case of "he's gorra gew"? Don't know but surely this is his last season with us unless he comes up with the goods.

He broke his leg aged 18 in a youth cup match at Hednesford on 27 February 2006. Before the broken leg he was regarded as good prospect as a winger, but I do not think that he had ever looked good playing up front for us. That season Merson had played Fryatt, Leitao, Constable, Mads Tim, Barrowman, Husbands, Larossa and Atieno as strikers before he was sacked, and Mick Halsall brought Scott Fitzgerald to the club as a striker a couple of weeks before Nicholl's injury, so it seems unlikely that Nicholls was ever thought of as a decent striker, but I may be mis-remembering. He had scored one goal in the fourteen (wing) appearances before he broke his leg.

He was out of the game for a full year, and on returning to fitness went straight to Burton Albion in the Conference where he played 14 games for them, all of them on the wing.
Last edited by Bernie on Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:33 pm

Bernie wrote:
Exile wrote:It's getting that way. Was much more promising before he broke his leg, and we've been waiting for him to come good ever since. Is he becoming a case of "he's gorra gew"? Don't know but surely this is his last season with us unless he comes up with the goods.

He broke his leg aged 18 in a youth cup match at Hednesford on 27 February 2006. Before the broken leg he was regarded as good prospect as a winger, but I do not think that he had ever played up front for us. That season Merson had played Fryatt, Leitao, Constable, Mads Tim, Barrowman, Husbands, Larossa and Atieno as strikers before he was sacked, and Mick Halsall brought Scott Fitzgerald to the club as a striker a couple of weeks before Nicholl's injury, so it seems unlikely that Nicholls was ever thought of as a striker, but I may be mis-remembering. He had scored one goal in the fourteen (wing) appearances before he broke his leg.

He was out of the game for a full year, and on returning to fitness went straight to Burton Albion in the Conference where he played 14 games for them, all of them on the wing.

Played up front at Swansea in the tin pot cup, and played pretty well too. I get your point though.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:17 am

I still see something in Nicholls occasionally, which is why its annoying. He would probably be much better a division down by the looks of it.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:09 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:This chap Walker, on the bench, does anyone know whether he's a striker???????????? :mrgreen:

Worth a try...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-6qkzp7SZo[/youtube]

Mal
UTS Veteran

Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:40 am

a few days to let the result sink in but I think we should look at this season as one of progress with a decnt manager who can spot a player and hopefully ensure we at least are comfortable mid table and have a decent cup run

Player wise Sadler is a steal, as good as Fox in my opinion and the right age I would extend his contract now
Chambers seems to have been really affected by the sending off and that has made him a little less effective bit will come god
Jarvis has hardly played for two years and I think will come good with more games, not dissimlar to Rambo but better with the ball at his feet
Gnakpa is an enigma who needs to get fitter, remember he has stepped up two divisions and for that does not look out of place
Hurst is a sold left midfield come winger, works very hard and is an improvement in some respects
Groff, I'll stick my neck out and say he is the best keeper we have had since Walker and should be No.1 when Wacka retires
Olly. suprised he was left out but Deanno obviously was not happy with teh defensive side? thus Manny getting back in
Manny, you get what you see, the black Roper but not as good however gives 100% so can't really knock the lad
Westlake, infuriates me seems to be half soaked and in a world of his own at times better going forward than defensively
Taundry, has took his chance well and improved massively I think he realised next stop was the exit
Macken, quality
Nichols, this wil be his last season, Burton/Crewe next stop even though he has been our only outlet at times

Peterlin, an improvement on the O'Keefes/Marshalls of this world so happy with him
Beevers, not seen enough but a utility squad player

Dean, knows what we need but with crowds like Saturday budget is a struggle saying that if we finish mid to top ten this season I'll be happy after the Numpty years but would then want to see us push on

Previous
Return to 2011-12 Season