Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Stoke City (H) Reserves Wednesday 24/8/11

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:15 pm

Starting line up:
21, David Grof; 2, Lee Beevers; 3, Jonny Haynes; 4, Manny Smith (c); 5, Jamie Tank; 6, Adam Chambers; 7, Alex Nicholls; 8, Jack Dobson; 9, George Bowerman; 10, Ryan Jarvis; 11, Jamie Paterson. Subs: 12, Connor Deards; 14, Joey Butlin; 15, Malvind Benning; 16 Danny Cresswell; 1, Liam Maher.

Result: Walsall 2-1 Stoke: Jarvis (pen), Beevers; Karim Rossi

Was a really entertaining game to be fair against what was a very youthful looking Stoke team. Fell behind in the first half to a really poor goal which seemed to go straight through Grof, although I think their striker Rossi was mighty pleased with it. Went in at half time 0-1 down and to be fair the game had been pretty tight and cagey up to that point, although we'd probably had more of the chances. But as with the first team these were mostly speculative efforts from the edge of the box due to a combination of lack of pace in the front line to get behind the centre backs and some truly woeful 'crossing' from Alex Nicholls.

Came back after the break and the game opened up a lot more. Paterson was brought down for the penalty which the impressive Jarvis took really well, sending the keeper the wrong way. (A lot of talk pre Hartlepool about how long it had been since we last had a pen, but that one I believe was in an away game, when did we last have a penalty at The Banks's??). Beevers claimed the winner after a bullet header from youth team captain Jamie Tank bounced in off the back off his head following a quality corner from Jamie Paterson.

Grof - Flapped at a couple of crosses and the goal seemed to go straight through him. His distribution was reasonably solid and he did seem to command his box better after the break. I imagine he'll be disappointed with his performance, but he is only 21 and likely to improve.
Beevers - Completely different full back to Westlake, very much a defensive defender rather than one with the engine to bomb up supporting the winger. That said, played well and was solid defensively (the primary function of a defender), and managed to claim the winner even if he didn't know a great deal about it.
Haynes - Had never seen him play before but he did ok. Again, didn't really get forward to support his winger but did his defensive work well. Was up against a Stoke winger called Tunji Agbaje, who at times looked dangerous but he managed to snuff him out.
Smith - Again was up against a tricky customer in the aforementioned Rossi but kept him check for 89 and half minutes. Solid enough.
Tank - Again, had never seen him play before, but I would argue he was better than Smith. Looks a really good prospect and was unlucky not to claim the winner after what I can only describe as a 'Roper bullet header'.
Chambers - I did expect him to play 45-60 minutes today but was surprised he played for the full 90. To me this suggests he might not start on Saturday. Strong in the tackle and you could tell he had a presence about him. Would have been booked if this was a league game for a clumsy tackle in the second half. Also went in unnecessarily hard on Agbaje which left him in a heap (he did take the ball), just seconds after Agbaje had done the same to Paterson. If he'd missed the ball he could have walked for it.
Nicholls - Truly awful, worse than any of the 150 league games he's played. Doesn't deserve to be involved on Saturday if that's the performance he produces for the reserves. Was up against a weak fullback who looked about 10 and was ginger, so got plenty of space behind him often enough. But his delivery and his passing were truly shocking.
Dobson - Described him to big baz at the game as a little Dean Keates, but a young Dean Keates would probably be a more accurate description. Highest compliment I can pay him is that he wasn't outshone by Chambers and again looks a really good prospect.
Bowerman - Did ok. Linked up well with Jarvis and Paterson and looked lively. Needs to watch the line for offside better. The problem with him is he's the same sort of player as Macken, Grigg and Jarvis. He doesn't really offer anything different and is probably the reason he's fourth choice striker at the club. Would like to see him get some game time against Shrewsbury next week.
Jarvis - Surprised to see myself say this, but Man Of The Match. Gave the defence all sorts of problems for the hour he played. Won the ball in the air against his centre half, played a lot of good passes through for Nicholls to waste and seemed to be nurturing Bowerman. Maybe its because he had nobody booing him today? Glad he got his goal and took his penalty well. I know he was only playing against a young Stoke team but you can only beat what you're up against and he did that really well today.
Paterson - Ran Jarvis close for MOTM, more by virtue of the fact he played the full 90 minutes. Got better as the game went on, can play with both feet, won the penalty and crossed the corner for the winner. Always a danger and, if Deano decides to rest some players in the JPT, I'd start him against Shrewsbury.

Subs:

Deards - Replaced Jarvis and took time to settle into the game, but after he'd been on the pitch 10 minutes or so he got up to speed. Does seem to have a bit of pace but would need to see more of him.
Butlin - Formed a very youthful looking front pairing with Deards for the last half an hour. Also looks a bit quick and got behind his centre back on a couple of occasions.
Benning - Didn't really make much of an impact when coming on late to replace Bowerman.

I think the big thing to come out of the match is the justification of being back in the reserve league, as a lot of these guys will really benefit from the game time. It also outlines what a ludicrous decision it was to withdraw from it in the first place. Apart from Nicholls and Grof's performances I would argue there were very few negatives to come from the game, and the win will do the young lads confidence the world of good.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Re: Stoke City (H) Reserves Wednesday 24/8/11

Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:05 pm

Thanks for that, very good report as usual.

Are these games played at Bescot ? what time do they kick off ? Might pop down to a few myself in the future.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:21 pm

I would agree with most of PS's report but Jarvis man-of-the-match???? Also - Butlin a bit quick??? I think not. Another club was watching Butlin with a view to taking him on loan and they were not impressed - particularly with his LACK of pace. I have to say that I agree.

I do endorse PS's view on Dobson, though. He looks a good prospect.

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:36 pm

Pedagogue wrote:I would agree with most of PS's report but Jarvis man-of-the-match???? Also - Butlin a bit quick??? I think not. Another club was watching Butlin with a view to taking him on loan and they were not impressed - particularly with his LACK of pace. I have to say that I agree.

I did question myself when I wrote that as to whether it was Butlin or Deards who'd made that run in behind the defence in the closing stages and won the corner. Must have mixed them up. I stand corrected.

What was wrong with Jarvis? The only thing that would make me question MOTM was the fact he only played an hour when Paterson played the 90 minutes and would also have been a worthy winner.

RE Blazing: Reserve home games are at Bescot, next one is Tuesday 7th October, 2pm kick off.

Ben_Hartshorne

Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:52 pm

priestley_saddler wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:I would agree with most of PS's report but Jarvis man-of-the-match???? Also - Butlin a bit quick??? I think not. Another club was watching Butlin with a view to taking him on loan and they were not impressed - particularly with his LACK of pace. I have to say that I agree.

I did question myself when I wrote that as to whether it was Butlin or Deards who'd made that run in behind the defence in the closing stages and won the corner. Must have mixed them up. I stand corrected.

What was wrong with Jarvis? The only thing that would make me question MOTM was the fact he only played an hour when Paterson played the 90 minutes and would also have been a worthy winner.

RE Blazing: Reserve home games are at Bescot, next one is Tuesday 7th October, 2pm kick off.

Im with Priestley here, Jarvis really looked the part today.

I completely agree with Priestley's player by player ratings, although I was particularly impressed with Haynes at left back, I thought he looked solid throughout and won more in the air than someone of his height should.

gray
Glitterati

Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:19 am

Excellent report. Thanks for doing it! I'd like to see Patterson getting more time on the pitch as the season progresses.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:54 pm

Dont forget i think it was Pedagogue who thought Macken was cack last season too :wink:

tinned
Site Addict

Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:07 pm

Ben_Hartshorne wrote:I completely agree with Priestley's player by player ratings, although I was particularly impressed with Haynes at left back, I thought he looked solid throughout and won more in the air than someone of his height should.

Good to hear. I've known Jon for years, he deserves to be successful. He had a horrific injury last season and just as he was getting back to full fitness he dislocated shoulder in pre-season. Hopefully this season will be a great one.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:07 pm

latviancheese wrote:Don't forget I think it was Pedagogue who thought Macken was cack last season, too :wink:

Correct ... and I stand by that opinion. Last season he WAS "cack" (q.v.), imo. He has looked better (and slimmer and fitter) this season. :wink:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:34 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
latviancheese wrote:Don't forget I think it was Pedagogue who thought Macken was cack last season, too :wink:

Correct ... and I stand by that opinion. Last season he WAS "cack" (q.v.), imo. He has looked better (and slimmer and fitter) this season. :wink:

So that means in a few months Jarvis will be on fire :P

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:59 pm

Let's hope so! :D

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:25 pm

Pedagogue wrote:

He (Macken) certainly was very poor for the most part last season, came good towards the end. As you say looks much fitter, and interested this season. Been our best player so far in my opinion.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:26 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:

He (Macken) certainly was very poor for the most part last season, came good towards the end. As you say looks much fitter, and interested this season. Been our best player so far in my opinion.

In a poor team. He looks sharper now certainly, but we still wont see him last 90 minutes every week. He was also playing with an injury for a while last season.

I do love Macken, he has a cracking nose too. Almost like a beak.

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:46 pm

I very much enjoyed game . Patterson , tank( though i disagree with presitly that he is better than manny smith) and dobson i was really impressed with. As for nicholls the less the said the better. Tony Pulis was at the game and i was tempted to say something to him but didnt in the end. Oh well UTS

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:05 pm

Sounds like there were a few encouraging performances out there. The difference between reserve team football and competitive league matches is huge, particularly with the likes of Jarvis and Chambers playing against inexperience, but you can only beat what's in front of you, as they say.

A few people have been speaking highly of Tank. What sort of defender is he?

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:15 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:Sounds like there were a few encouraging performances out there. The difference between reserve team football and competitive league matches is huge, particularly with the likes of Jarvis and Chambers playing against inexperience, but you can only beat what's in front of you, as they say.

A decent left footed centre half

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:16 pm

big baz 1 wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:Sounds like there were a few encouraging performances out there. The difference between reserve team football and competitive league matches is huge, particularly with the likes of Jarvis and Chambers playing against inexperience, but you can only beat what's in front of you, as they say.

A decent left footed centre half who seems to just love getting his head onto balls into the box. Decent on the ball also

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:57 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:A few people have been speaking highly of Tank. What sort of defender is he?

Very much a Challenger in the area.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:05 pm

4143 wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:A few people have been speaking highly of Tank. What sort of defender is he?

Very much a Challenger in the area.

A tiger in the challenge.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:54 pm

Exile
Jobsworth

Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:27 pm

Great name for a footballer. :D

latviancheese
Site Addict

Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:39 pm

They call Alex (Chelsit defender) the tank because he once had sex with airing cupboard.

Return to 2011-12 Season