Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Yeovil Town (H) League 1 Saturday 20/8/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
latviancheese
Site Addict

Re: Yeovil Town (H) League 1 Saturday 20/8/11.

Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:28 am

After seeing their goal on FLS, it was a lucky punt.

kevin
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:54 am

Jolly Johnny wrote:
And for all the work we are supposedly doing defensively with Chris Nicholl etc, we keep on conceding and letting leads slip.

Get Hutchings back................he'll sort the defence out.

Saturday, August 20 2011
Peterborough United 7 - 1 Ipswich Town

Tuesday, August 16 2011
Ipswich Town 2 - 5 Southampton

Saturday, August 13 2011
Ipswich Town 0 - 1 Hull City

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:39 am

Exile wrote:Story now on the front page.
http://upthesaddlers.com/wp/archives/20 ... -reaction/

My two pennies: We're a couple of good players (that we can't afford) away from being really decent. As it is, survival is assured, but we're going to see hit and miss performances all season.

I am fairly sure we could afford a couple of loan signings, and if we didn't waste money on the likes of Jarvis, who is quite clearly a very poor signing, then we would have some more money in the pot. Also the last two Saturdays, we have failed to win, because we conceeded goals that should have been dealt with, without much problem. I agree we need a few players, but Smith and Nicholl can get more out of this team. Time to stop living off the end of last season now, and do some work boys.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:15 am

Good effort from Macken for our goal , from the brief highlights I caught on Sky late last night Lancashire looked at fault the equalizer .

Still as said above the kind off game we'd had lost at this stage of last last season , that's an improvement .

Had a great day my daughter made me feel the proudest man on earth , thanks for the messages and best wishes .

UTS

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:09 pm

chestersaddler wrote:I do think that the "we should be beating the likes of Yeovil" comments are a little disingenuous. We take umbrage when it is said about us.

I do take your point, but when you're looking at fixtures you pick out the ones where 3 points are a realistic possibility. I think that was one of these games. To be fair, when Yeovil look for games they can get away wins from, they'd have probably targeted us.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:02 pm

Exile wrote:As it is, survival is assured...

Famous last words!! :wink:

Hope it doesn't come back to haunt!

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:20 pm

priestley_saddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:I do think that the "we should be beating the likes of Yeovil" comments are a little disingenuous. We take umbrage when it is said about us.

I do take your point, but when you're looking at fixtures you pick out the ones where 3 points are a realistic possibility. I think that was one of these games. To be fair, when Yeovil look for games they can get away wins from, they'd have probably targeted us.

I all honestly, whilst I expressed the attitude that we should be beating teams like Yeovil, it's not just them - we should also be able to beat most teams in this league at home. That's the attitude we need to have. Under Hutchings, we always seemed to treat home matches like we were the underdogs.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:56 pm

It was disappointing yesterday; we really must take 3 points against teams like Yeovil if we want to genuinely target a top half finish and a flirtation with the play-offs - but I guess pretty much everyone in the league would say the same about us. The positive spin is that I think under Hutchings we'd have lost that game. Yeovil were a disciplined, hard-working side with plenty of decent enough footballers at this level - they lack a cutting edge, but used the youth of their squad to their benefit. I thought for the first hour we were decent, playing okay and looking to work the ball wide and use our full backs. After this we resorted to last season's long hopeful ball - Taundry seemingly forgot what he'd been doing so well all season, which is recycling possession effectively, and began looking for the 'Hollywood' ball again to one of the wingers or the front two; inevitably, possession was squandered. That isn't necessarily a criticism of Taundry; it is the job of the coaching staff to cut this out once they see if creeping back in to a performance that was characterised by a growing frustration amongst fans and players. Everyone there knew that this is the kind of game you've got to winning, and we looked devoid of ideas to sort it out. There was no where close to enough tempo in the game, a symptom of the lack of pace in the team which many of us spent the summer calling for it to be rectified.

As someone who normally 'swaps ends' I stayed down towards the away end when the switch of ends was made at the coin toss. As a result of this I got to see our back four in action close up, which is a rarity. It is obvious how important Butler is to the four of them, but it is also obviously how well drilled they are as a unit. This is a real positive; I can't see us conceding too many cheap goals this season like the one we conceded yesterday. I still think we need to make more of Westlake and Sadler going forward - Sadler's excellent work in the final moments was the only time someone thought about knocking the ball past the full backs and chasing after it all afternoon, and it nearly - should have - produced a goal.

Walker - He was slow off his line for the equaliser - though the ball should have been dealt with by Lancashire - but had made a fine save a few minutes earlier.

Westlake - Still coming on nicely. I think he is prone to being caught on his heels a little by his opposing winger, particularly when Walsall possession breaks down and a counter-attack comes. He worked hard to support Claude and give an option for Taundry and Peterlin.
Sadler - As I said, the only man to really stretch the Yeovil right back all afternoon. He should come forward more often - particularly as he plays behind a winger (either Hurst or Nicholls) who are right footed, cut inside often and so would benefit from having the overlap as an option.
Lancashire - A poor first half when he was caught out twice, one of which cost us a goal and the first of which should have cost us a goal. Improved in the second half.
Butler - He worked very hard in the first period to support Lancashire. A typical, whole-hearted performance.

Gnakpa - A very disappointing performance; I was getting quite frustrated with him. On occasions he shows a flair and touch which hints at underlying quality, and he is a real threat in the air, but I'm disappointed that he doesn't take on his man and try and beat him for pace. We have one winger who looks to be tricky and cut inside in the shape of Hurst; we need Gnakpa to offer the opposite, hug the touchline and look to get past his marker. He did well in the build up to the goal - one of the few times he seemed to get his head up and assess the situation around him but when faced with a similar situation in the second half with Nicholls in acres of space he seemed oblivious to the situation and headed down a dead end. There is something there, in my opinion, and I think he'll get the run to prove it, but Nicholls will be pushing him hard for his place.
Hurst - A tidy player and we missed him in the second half. Nicholls offered something different when he replaced him, but squandered good possession twice in the space of a couple of minutes whilst in a useful position with speculative attempts on goal.
Taundry - On form for the first hour, and then seemed to revert to type when, in fairness to him, the game did need an injection of urgency. But with Taundry's higher energy style comes the well-intentioned but difficult to get right long range passes ahead of him which too often squander possession cheaply. We don't have the pace up front to capitalise on these passes and he should continue to cut them out of his game because he looks a much tidier, classier and less frustrating footballer when he keeps things simple. By no means was it a particularly bad performance, however; decision making remains an area to improve.
Peterlin - A decent performance; kept things simple in possession and worked hard defensively. A perfectly adequate squad player who should be looking to pressure Taundry for his place.

Macken - The real touch of class in the side. A wonderful finish (sitting right behind it, it was one of those 'in from the moment he struck it' kind of goals) and he really links up well with Grigg. Jarvis replaced him and he should really have done much better when presented with a golden opportunity from Sadler; I think he was caught in two minds whether to go for the diving header past the helpless keeper or volley it, he took the wrong option and it just feels like he'll be waiting a while for his first goal. The positive would be that in twenty minutes on the field he got himself into a great goalscoring position, but he should really have taken the chance.
Grigg - Not a threat on goal yesterday, but involved in the build up the goal and, in all honesty, there wasn't much in the way of service. He does divide opinion, and I think his hard-work is betrayed by a languid-looking style. I'm convinced that there are goals in him because he seems to read the game well. We've got to bear in mind, too, that he's really only got 20 or so games under his belt.

Atomic Rooster
UTS Veteran

Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:35 pm

i think we need to give smith his chance or get a loan signing in lancashire looks good on the floor but gets caught out of position a lot and misses a lot of crosses..' we need another midfielder in a young player from the premier to strengthen the squad when one is out we down to the bare bones. we dont want 2 defenders on the subs bench when we are at home we did not have any options in midfield yesterday

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:15 pm

Jorge14 wrote:
Lancashire - A poor first half when he was caught out twice, one of which cost us a goal and the first of which should have cost us a goal. Improved in the second half

I thought he was largely a liabilty all game. In the second half he could barely jump. He looked dead on his feet. Him and Westlake were not working together either, not sure why but if they had played like that against someone half decent we would have been 3 or 4 down.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:19 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:it sounds like the same team didnt turn up today against a team who have started the season with 1 win in 3 games.
Disappointing.

Yeovil may have only won one game this season, but so have we.

Yes, but we were at home, coming off a good performance away at Sheffield United.
That was disappointing.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:26 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:it sounds like the same team didnt turn up today against a team who have started the season with 1 win in 3 games.
Disappointing.

Yeovil may have only won one game this season, but so have we.

Yes, but we were at home, coming off a good performance away at Sheffield United.
That was disappointing.

Definitely, although as pointed out we probably would have lost the game this time last year, that makes little difference, if we aren't going in to a home game against Yeovil, thinking anything other than we should win the game, there is something wrong. Doesn't always work out that way obviously, but that's the mentality we should have.

We should have still won the game anyway really, even as mediocre as we were.

Mal
UTS Veteran

Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:44 am

Having read all the reviews above I am amazed at the pessimism shown following a result which yes we would have liked a win but based on the last couple of years we would have lost! We are a Div3 team so your going to have a inconsistency and frustration but do we have to over analyse every minute of every game? For me the game was disjointed and frustrating but the positives we have Macken! Jimmy's save in injury time! and a manager who is doing the right things.

In my eyes the situation is quite clear, we have a reasonable first eleven who are mid table maybe flirt with playoffs with a strong following wind. Outside of that we have a few kids and no doubt a few loans in the months ahead that Dean will be thinking about and thus keeping what little money he has aside.

We have gambled on an untried winger who had a great season at Luton, he's stepped up two divisions and has done reasonably well, isn't this the type of player plenty of people say we should be taking a punt on? I think he is a good addition and will be an asset

Picked up a couple of lads with quality from the O's one who is a nailed on first teamer and one who has lost his way and a gamble has been taken.

Signed a quality left back in Sadler, you won't see much better in this division which is a real coup for us, very fox like!

Hurst is a solid right midfield come winger, we missed him following his injury on Saturday

Peterlin is an improvement on the so called 'Premier' class rubbish we have picked up the last few years, so again a step forward

Added to Olly, Taundry, Nicholls, Westlake, Grigg and we are building a squad that has improved

What I would like to see is Dean thinking about his bench and dropping one of Smith or Beevers to make way for Patterson or Bowerman if we are not going to get a 'Jordon Cook' type player on loan at this stage. My forecast was 7 points after 4 league games and we have 5 so there and there abouts, September is a tough month and that is when I think we will have a better view on how the season will pan out.

Keep the faith UTS

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:12 pm

A very optimistic view, Mal - a touch of the rose tinted specs there, I think.

I don't see any need for all the doom and gloom either, but I wasn't pleased by Saturday's performance either.

Agree with you on Gnakpa - chuffed we've taken a gamble on him. Despite what people are saying, he's a handy option to have in the squad, even if he ends up being dropped from the starting 11 come October. I also agree with you on Sadler - we've signed quality there, and he's consistent too.

Peterlin is a decent player, but he didn't stamp any authority on Saturday's game. He clearly has ability, but was far too quiet. Will Chambers improve things? He should, but history tells us he won't play every game.

I think we're two players away from being able to make a push for the top half. One central midfielder with some quality on the ball in the final third, and one striker who offers something different to Grigg/Macken/Jarvis. The midfielder has to come first though.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:04 pm

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:30 pm

Picked up a couple of lads with quality from the O's one who is a nailed on first teamer and one who has lost his way and a gamble has been taken.

Made me chuckle, I assume you meant Jarvis when you said one had lost his way, where has he lost his way from? I will insert this quote I found.

At the end of the 2007/08 season Norwich City decided not to renew Jarvis' contract, and he signed for Leyton Orient on 25 June. He featured in 31 league games and one cup game without netting a single goal for the O's.

He has scored 22 goals in nearly 10 years. He is the twenty goal a decade striker we have been looking for :mrgreen:

I agree we have signed some decent players though, Sadler, and Chambers seem quality, I have liked the look of Hurst, will have to wait and see about the rest. Westlake looks like he could become a very tidy player if he can progress from where he is right now.

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:15 am

latviancheese wrote:http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,,16478_7117180,00.html

Lancashire's forgotten how to jump :?

Bernie
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:24 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
Made me chuckle, I assume you meant Jarvis when you said one had lost his way, where has he lost his way from? I will insert this quote I found.

At the end of the 2007/08 season Norwich City decided not to renew Jarvis' contract, and he signed for Leyton Orient on 25 June. He featured in 31 league games and one cup game without netting a single goal for the O's.

He has scored 22 goals in nearly 10 years. He is the twenty goal a decade striker we have been looking for :mrgreen: .

Wikipedia?

Jarvis's statistics are poor, but not as bad as your quote suggests. He averages 5 goals a season over the last five years.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/playe ... r_id=34916

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:38 pm

Bernie wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:

He has scored 22 goals in nearly 10 years. He is the twenty goal a decade striker we have been looking for :mrgreen: .

Wikipedia?

Jarvis's statistics are poor, but not as bad as your quote suggests. He averages 5 goals a season over the last five years.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/playe ... r_id=34916

Yes it was Wiki,

Sorry didn't realise. Prolific.

Previous
Return to 2011-12 Season