Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Sheffield United (A) League 1 Tuesday 16/8/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
Jorge14
UTS Legend

Re: Sheffield United (A) League 1 Tuesday 16/8/11.

Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:54 pm

Big job on picking the players back up for Saturday. You'd think a performance against Yeovil as good as we started with today should result in a handsome win and blow away any of the cobwebs this might leave.

saddlerboz

Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:55 pm

Without being there people on here cannot realistically comment that it 'shows' anything ... they are literally a division above us in any event. What RESULTS show is that we are a good side capable of matching the best in the division. I know people on here LOVE to jump to early conclusions ...but let's give it a few moe games eh before we decide if we are champions or relegation ... most likely in between! But measured views a rare thing on UTS I know...

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:56 pm

A little bit of happiness is inside me - just found out Cheaterfraud lost.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:58 pm

Went to pieces for 20 mimutes. Game over and on short journey back home.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:59 pm

Few of us expected a win tonight, yet we're all absolutely gutted about that result. As difficult as it is to say, that should probably be taken as a positive. We'd have surrendered embarrassingly 9-10 months ago.

In Deano we trust.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:59 pm

You Reds wrote:A little bit of happiness is inside me - just found out Cheaterfraud lost.

And Shrewsbury did.

Every cloud...

Jockey
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:00 pm

Im quite confident of having a bet of us winning 3,4 or 5 on Saturday and anhilating Yeovil to compensate for tonight.

Shows what Deanos done in such a short space of time because many of us wasnt gutted under Hutchings, a defeat was expected on tap.

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:02 pm

Jockey wrote:Im quite confident of having a bet of us winning 3,4 or 5 on Saturday and anhilating Yeovil to compensate for tonight.

Shows what Deanos done in such a short space of time because many of us wasnt gutted under Hutchings, a defeat was expected on tap.

No shame in defeat as long as we look like we're trying rather than going through the motions.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:04 pm

2 points off the relegation zone? Merson Out!

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:32 pm

Of course most Saddlers went there hoping for a miracle, when it went 2-0 most of us thought it would be.
The turning point of the match came when at 2-0, Simonsen in the Blades goal palmed a shot out and it fell to Grigg, all he had to do was put it past the keeper, which he did, unfortunately he put it past the post as well.
No way on earth they would have came back from 3-0.
The other turning point came when Wilson brought on Williamson, he absolutely mulled Sadler time and time again. So from Sadler having an easy game and getting forward, he just went to pieces.
In fact for a 15-20 minute spell after the chance for 3-0, the whole team went to pieces. Giving the ball away, defending too deep and giving United time on the ball.
A definate penalty as Williamson once again gave Sadler the run around.
Oh, and we had a shot off post to make it 3-3.
Overall for first 45 minutes we held our own and for first 15 minutes of second half we were superb and I mean superb.
Next 20 minutes absolutely awful.
Final 10 minutes back to first 45 minutes.
UTS!
More positives then negatives thats for sure.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:48 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:Of course most Saddlers went there hoping for a miracle, when it went 2-0 most of us thought it would be.
The turning point of the match came when at 2-0, Simonsen in the Blades goal palmed a shot out and it fell to Grigg, all he had to do was put it past the keeper, which he did, unfortunately he put it past the post as well.
No way on earth they would have came back from 3-0.
The other turning point came when Wilson brought on Williamson, he absolutely mulled Sadler time and time again. So from Sadler having an easy game and getting forward, he just went to pieces.
In fact for a 15-20 minute spell after the chance for 3-0, the whole team went to pieces. Giving the ball away, defending too deep and giving United time on the ball.
A definate penalty as Williamson once again gave Sadler the run around.
Oh, and we had a shot off post to make it 3-3.
Overall for first 45 minutes we held our own and for first 15 minutes of second half we were superb and I mean superb.
Next 20 minutes absolutely awful.
Final 10 minutes back to first 45 minutes.
UTS!

Agree with most of that. I would say that we did more than hold our own in the fist half though. Yes, the chance when the keeper spilled the ball was the key moment
I would like to see the penalty decision again. I was too far away to call it but if it was a penalty it was a bloody soft one to give away

Overall disappointed to lose after that performance but feel really positive for the season on that showing
More positives then negatives thats for sure.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:50 pm

^^ Too much beer me thinks!

UTS Legend

Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:51 pm

Jockey wrote:Hurst hit the post :(

Somehow that was deflected against the post. I was jumping up to celebrate a goal - as were the people in front of me. I couldn't believe it when it came back off the post.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:53 pm

LOL have you see Deano's face on the Managers Reaction story?! (O/S)

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:56 pm

You Reds wrote:^^ Too much beer me thinks!

:D
A combination of a long day, a few beers and fat fingers on a small keyboard

I've tried to edit it twice but now I've given up

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:01 pm

You Reds wrote:LOL have you see Deano's face on the Managers Reaction story?! (O/S)

He looks angry. Either that or drunk. :mrgreen:

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:02 pm

May I just point out that the 'llama' being posted is in fact called a Bunchie. Google it.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:04 pm

4143 wrote:May I just point out that the 'llama' being posted is in fact called a Bunchie. Google it.

So that's why I got crap search results!

Actually you sir are wrong, its names Bunchie (even-though people call it a Bunchie) & it is indeed a Llama.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:19 pm

You Reds wrote:
4143 wrote:May I just point out that the 'llama' being posted is in fact called a Bunchie. Google it.

So that's why I got crud search results!

Actually you sir are wrong, its names Bunchie (even-though people call it a Bunchie) & it is indeed a Llama.

Eh, no. Llamas don't look like that. A bunchie is a fictional creature.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:29 pm

latviancheese wrote:
You Reds wrote:LOL have you see Deano's face on the Managers Reaction story?! (O/S)

He looks angry. Either that or drunk. :mrgreen:

He looks like Alan Sugar when he got asked 'that' infamous question in the recession interview!

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:39 pm

A Sheffield fan on their phone-in on way home
'I thought Walsall played some fantastic football. I felt really sorry for them. They certainly deserved something out of the match.'
Sentiments I completely agree wih. At times our control,touch,movement & passing were superb. It was just a shame we didn't go in at half time a couple of goals to the good.With hindsight the miss to make it 3-0 was crucial (thought it was Gnapka..goalie must have touched it as we then had a corner).
We will play a lot worse than that & win games this season & though bitterly disappointed I am also very encouraged by the progress that has been made & feel optimistic now about the rest of the season.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:44 pm

4143 wrote:
You Reds wrote:

So that's why I got crud search results!

Eh, no. Llamas don't look like that. A bunchie is a fictional creature.

I was wrong, you were right. I'm sorry 4143.

Please accept this trollface BUNCHIE apology - Image

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:45 pm

hullsaddler wrote:A Sheffield fan on their phone-in on way home
'I thought Walsall played some fantastic football. I felt really sorry for them. They certainly deserved something out of the match.'
Sentiments I completely agree wih. At times our control,touch,movement & passing were superb. It was just a shame we didn't go in at half time a couple of goals to the good.With hindsight the miss to make it 3-0 was crucial (thought it was Gnapka..goalie must have touched it as we then had a corner).
We will play a lot worse than that & win games this season & though bitterly disappointed I am also very encouraged by the progress that has been made & feel optimistic now about the rest of the season.

My mistake, yes it was Gnapka.
I think a draw was the minimum we deserved to be honest.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:23 pm

How we lost that is beyond me. I went there expecting a defeat but I thought we totally outplayed them for 40 munutes in the first half. Excellent passing and movement and created quite a few chances. Best I have seen us play for ages. They came back into it last 5 minutes of first half and at HT there was a feeling that we really should of been a couple of goals to the good. We came out second half and those worries were swept away as we completely mullered then for a while and went 2 up. Then should have gone 3 up, that would have won it. They came back into it then and to be fair played well and pushed us back. We just couldn't seem to get the composure back that we had for most of the first hour. We just seemed to have no answer to them for a 15 minute spell and that killed us. We came back into it then and couldn't believe it when Hurst hit the post, gutted!

We certainly deserved at least a point but the result is what counts. Cannot really criticise anyone. Butler was Butler, Lancashire looks better every time I see him, Taundry is a man transformed, Pieterlin looked good, Westlake seems to have improved defensively, one superb save from Wakka, Hurst looked dangerous, Gnakka flattered to deceive.

Absolutely gutted to have lost but as Tommo said to me on the way out, this time last year we came out of Orient away jubilant after an inept 0-0 draw as a team with no heart, direction or clue. Tonights performance was light and day compared to that. Not many teams will play United off the park at Bramhall Lane as much at we did for large parts of the match tonight. We will play a lot worse and win matches. Not scoring when we were so dominant in the first half cost us along with losing it for that 15 minute spell in 2nd half. Hopefully we will learn from the experience and inexperience cost us in that 15 minute spell but I really can't criticise anyone after that performance.

In Deano we trust.

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:34 pm

More gutted than a furniture shop in Croydon after that. Before the game I expected us to lose 2/3-0, and to be honest it would have been easier to live with.

Our first half performance was the best I've seen a Walsall team play for ages. We passed the ball well, we pressured high up the pitch, we won nearly all the second balls and we looked solid at the back. We dominated the middle of the park and Peterlin was looking really dangerous breaking from midfield. We had the best of the chances too but a lot of them we're edge of the box/just outside the area attempts. Macken had the best attempt when Simonsen made a top top save to push a rasping shot on to the bar and out for a corner. They came back into it and probably ended the half the stronger but on the balance of play we had been comfortably the better team. The most pleasing aspect though was that I don't think Sheffield United were playing badly, we were just so much better.

I personally expected Danny Wilson to give them a right rollicking at half time and they'd come out all guns blazing, but yet straight from the kick off we scored without them even touching the ball, except for the deflection on Hurts's shot that took it beyond Simonsen, scoring against his old club. The second goal soon followed, their keeper flapped and Grigg banged it home, 2-0. I must admit at that point I was starting to wonder whether we might have been seeing the start of something special if we could go to places like Bramall Lane and turn Sheffield United over in the manner that we were doing. Simonsen fumbled another shot and Gnakpa put the rebound wide (it must have been a save as a corner was given). Had it gone in we were home and hosed, but it didn't and from that point on we never had a look in. Williamsons introduction was pivotal and they quickly got one back, and sadly from that point on there was only ever going to be one winner. We were sitting deeper and deeper and I said to kiansmom that Sheff Utd are too good a side for us to go as flat as that and they would pick us off (some bloke infront of me decided to tell me he thought I was wrong and that Sheff Utd weren't that good, but actually they were. The fact we'd outplayed them for the first 55 minutes was testament to how well we'd played, not how poor they'd been). Where we were winning all the second balls we were now not winning any, we were panicky in possession and Taundry and Peterlin went from being immense to annonymous. It was almost as though we'd given so much for the first hour that we just completely ran out of steam at the prospect of them coming back at us, even though we were still leading. And therein lies the major worry, as we had nobody who we could bring on as a calming influence to steady the nerves down, and it showed the fragility within the side. We choked on the lead tonight when three points were there for the taking.

That said, there are a lot of positives to take from the game. Not every team in this league is going to have a player who can come on at 0-2 and change a game in the way Williamson did. They're not all going to have the ability to come back from a couple of goals down, I don't think there are many sides in the league who could have beaten us tonight, despite the soft underbelly we showed in the latter stages. Arguably for the last 10 minutes we became the better side again, they deflected one of our efforts onto the post and we looked dangerous. Even Nicholls got a couple of decent balls across. But it wasn't meant to be. Sheffield Utd resorted to spoiling tactics in the closing stages, holding the ball in the corner, Simonsen blatantly time wasting. But again, that was testament to us that they felt they had to do that to stop us getting something from the match.

No doubt the players and Deano will be gutted to have lost that, but when they analyse the match again in the cold light of day then they'll take a huge number of positives from the game and it shouldn't be too difficult to pick them up again for Saturday. If our support can be as vocal on Saturday and all season as they were tonight (Walsall FC Official sent a shout out on Facebook to the fantastic support at HT), and we can play how we did for 2/3 of the match then we really might achieve something this season.

Really enjoyed the game and the night, gutted by the result, but really proud to be a Saddler.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:59 pm

top report as usual Priestly. Was that you I was briefly chatting to with Linda at half time?

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:38 am

Interesting report from Blades point of view and i would not disagree with much of it. http://www.s24su.com/forum/showthread.p ... l-2-report

The Blades continued their winning start to the season as they saw off Walsall in a five goal thriller at Bramall Lane. The home side had been two goals behind and in truth outplayed for long periods but showed great spirit and resolve to come back and turn the game around. It was not a good performance by any stretch of the imagination and the visitors will be desperately disappointed to not take at least a point back to the Midlands in a game where they had the better chances and looked to be coasting to victory at one stage. United were revived by substitutes Lee Williamson and Michael Doyle who helped bring them back into the contest with Williamson in particular instrumental in the comeback win. Manager Danny Wilson will know United will have to do much better and that more clinical sides than the Saddlers would have put them to the sword.

The game began with United naming an unchanged side from the one that beat Brentford at the weekend whilst visitors Walsall were able to name skipper Andy Butler in the line up after he has successfully appealed a red card in the previous game. Former Blade trainee Kevan Hurst began on the left hand side of midfield.

Walsall started proceedings well and were able to see a lot of the ball in midfield and were in the ascendancy. Peterlin had a shot from range just over and then Griggs when well positioned miskicked right in front of goal. United had not got going thus far but Quinn was always looking to get on the ball and make things happen. However, the visitors continued to control proceedings and Peterlin had another effort off target. Poor control and passing from the home side was beginning to frustrate the crowd who were not seeing the cohesion and control they had on previous games with McDonald not having the same impact as against Brentford. Macken then sidestepped Collins and shot across the goal with teammates unable to get on the end of the ball. United tried to get going again but Lowton’s over enthusiasm saw him yellow carded for a really poor challenge with some of the crowd fearing the worst. Walsall almost deservedly went ahead when nice play down the left saw the ball transferred into the box and Macken’s powerful shot was superbly tipped onto the bar and over by Simonsen. Another error from Jean Francois led to another half chance but Walsall’s sloppiness in front of goal was the only factor preventing them from being in the lead. United had a rare break when Montgomery advanced into the box and fell under Taundry’s challenge but referee Haines waved play on. United then finally forced Walker into action with Mendez Laing’s powerful shot being tipped around the post and then not long after Quinn hit a fierce effort from a narrow angle that stung the keepers palms. McDonald pulled up and had treatment but was able to carry on. The half time whistle came soon after and United were fortunate to go on at the break level after an excellent showing by the visitors and a poor one from the Blades.

United fans must have envisaged some improvements but they were stunned when only 15 seconds had been played and Walsall were ahead. The visitors kicked off and HURST came inside Lowton and hit a fierce shot that swerved away from Simonsen. In truth the keeper would have been disappointed with his effort as the ball seemed to go through him. United tried to hit back but Cresswell was hustled out and then Hurst had another effort narrowly wide as the Saddlers smelt blood. Soon after they had doubled their lead thanks to another goalkeeping error. Simonsen had done well to push a Macken shot over but from the resultant corner he got caught up in mass of bodies and could neither catch or punch and GRIGG smashed home in the scramble that ensure. The keeper was booked for his appeals but in truth he ought to have done better. McDonald who had tried to carry on was clearly struggling and had to be replaced by Doyle as United faced a mountain to climb as their poor performance had seen them in real trouble.

Another error from Simonsen almost made it three as he spilt a long range effort from Hurst and Gnakpa shot wide with the goal at his mercy. United’s fans were now starting to grumble about the disarray caused from the experienced showstoppers’ mistakes. The Blades made another change with Williamson coming on for the ineffective Mendez Laing. It seemed this kick started the home side into action and finally United were able to show some life. A move down the right nearly led to a chance and soon after they were back in it. Williamson played in Quinn who took his time before feeding it back to the substitute whose cross was turned in smartly by the advanced LOWTON. The ball was back on the centre circle quickly and soon after United came again. Peterlin was booked for a foul and was lucky not to get a second after another cynical trip on Quinn. United were now throwing men forward with the full backs supporting and even the centre backs coming out of defence. Walsall had everyone behind the ball and Walker was taking an age to take goal kicks. Lowton had a strong appeal for a spot kick when he seemed to nudge the ball before the challenge from the defender but the referee was again unmoved. From the corner that came about after this appeal, Quinn’s excellent delivery was headed goal bound by Cresswell but the ball was headed right off the line by Westlake with the keeper beaten and the striker appealing that it had crossed the line.

It seemed like it would not be long before the leveller came as the game had completely turned around and when it came it was a beauty. Collins strode out of defence as he had a couple of times previously and played in WILLIAMSON who stepped inside a defender before hitting a beautiful curling effort into the far corner at the Kop end. United were now buoyant but a well timed tackle from Maguire saved what could have been a disastrous moment not long after as United had to remain on their guard. Soon after though the comeback was complete. The ball was played inside the box but poor defending from Sadler saw him let Williamson get goal side and as he went past him the challenge felled the midfielder and the decision seemed inevitable. There may have been minimal contact but it was a daft challenge and after the previous appeals you felt it was inevitable an award would come from Haines. CRESSWELL stepped up and hit a fierce effort high and straight down the middle of the goal as Walker dived to his right.

Quinn then hit a great effort just over as United looked to kill the game off but another mistake from Simonsen almost saw the game level again. The ball spun loose after Simonsen failed to collect a routine through ball and Grigg seemed certain to score but the close range effort hit Maguire and agonisingly rolled against the post and away. Slew was booked for charging down Walker’s free kick and then Jean Francois upended Jarvis as United tried to hang on as the game entered five additional minutes. Good work from Cresswell, Slew and Williamson killed time towards the end and Slew then nearly sealed matters but his shot was blocked from close range. The final whistle came and ended a frantic contest with United just happy to continue their 100% start and relieved to come back from such an awful first 60 minute performance. Manager Danny Wilson will be pleased with the win and heart in coming back but will know there needs to be big improvements and that United have to play for the whole of games not just for bursts.

United – The performance tonight was utterly appalling for 60 minutes where the visitors completely outplayed us. They outfought and out battled us but more than that they out passed and out skilled us. United just never got going and so many players were off the ball with full backs off their men, the midfield not winning the ball and the front two being snuffed out. We had nothing from wide players and looked tentative in possession with sloppy touches and passes giving Walsall the ball back consistently. It was really poor and I was just glad to go in half time at 0-0. I figured we would not play any worse when lo and behold we came out and gave away two awful goals and looked well beaten. Suddenly a bit of interchange and drive from Quinn, Williamson and Lowton saw a goal and the game changed. Doyle and Williamson won balls and got us going forward and we took over. We had other chances and then scored an excellent equaliser. It seemed like there would only be one winner after this; with only Simonsen’s eye popping performance threatening this. We got a penalty after the referee had given us next to nothing all night and that seemed to be it but further errors from our custodian almost saw all the good work undone but somehow we managed to see the game out.

We have to do much better than that and even though Walsall played well, better teams would have beaten us easily and taken the chances they had. We really were sloppy all over the field, not winning individual battles and our first touch almost always seeming to lead to a tackle or us giving the ball away. We barely kept the ball and going the other way lost runners and were not tight enough. It is not enough to just turn it on for a small period of game and whilst tonight the 20 minute spell we had did see us win; we will not be so fortunate next time. We need to sign another keeper and fast as we cannot keep letting Simonsen gifting teams’ goals. Collins actually did better tonight but the full backs were poor until they started going forward. We had little creativity until Doyle (surprisingly) and Williamson (less of a surprise) came on and turned the game around. Tonight did show that this division is not going to be a cakewalk and it we play like that in the next two away games we won’t get anything. Indeed if we had played like that today against a Championship team we would have got thumped.

Walsall – Walsall played really well for 65 minutes and definitely deserved a draw, maybe all three points. They came out and got on the ball and showed real adventure, getting players forward and attacking United. They had 3 or 4 half chances and then a couple of really good chances. They hit the bar and certainly deserved to be in front in the first half. They won many of their individual battles and controlled midfield with lively forwards putting us under pressure. The two wingers also got at the full backs and caused problems. The two goals they scored may have been scrappy (well hit shot by Hurst even if a keeping error) and seemed to have the game sown up. However, the complete control they had was relinquished when United made it 1-2 and they sat back and seemed to fall apart. United now went at them and it seemed like the game completely turned around. Now United were winning all the loose balls and Walsall had 10 men behind the ball trying to stop the waves of attacks. You always felt if United made it 2-2 then they would go on and win and so it proved. However, despite this Walsall still had chances thanks in the main to Simonsen who was looking beyond shaky at this stage and the one that hit the post via a deflection was very unlucky and easily could have gone in. Despite them falling apart somewhat and United having most of the last 20-25 minutes and turning the screw, Walsall really took the game to United and deserve a lot of credit for a good performance where they won a lot of battles and passed and moved well. The two in central midfield played well for 60-65 minutes and played with heart and intelligence. The front two showed good hold up and linked well. The experienced Macken always looked a threat but his partner Grigg looked very lively and was even more impressive. With a little more clinical finishing and composure in the final third they could have been 3 or 4 nil up well before United mounted their comeback. Whilst United were poor for the most part, Walsall were much better than Brentford and Oldham and showed that United cannot turn it on for spells of games and have to play consistently and start games; imposing themselves on teams. Sloppy starts and not winning midfield battles will see many more teams do this to United.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:35 am

Gutted. We dominated that game for all but 15 minutes. Not just dominated, but played the best football we have done for yonks.

We knocked it around, played one touch football, short passes to players in space and seemed to create chances at will. How that game wasn't wrapped up I'll never know. Gnapka, again the only weak link missed the chance to kill the game, then, a few minutes later faffed about on the ball and it eventually led to their first. Once that came it was always going to change as their fans actually got behind the team, after being silcenced up until then.

When Gnapka was taken off, Nicholls put in his best performance for seasons, and all of a sudden looked like a confident player. He got his head down, was beating his man, and his delivery was excellent.

People mention Chambers missing, and defensive errors etc, but I think I'd they'd been at the game they'd see it differently. They gave them a little bit too much room for the first goal, but other than that it was just a big shift in confidence, not that we started playing badly.

If they don't get confidence and belief from that performance that they can do something this season, then they never will. We wuz robbed, and if we play like that every game, against lesser sides then promotion is a real possibility...as long as Gnapka is dropped, until he's ready to pass the ball, and someone replaces him who will put in some defensive work, or at least not run into 3/4 players and lose the ball every time he tries to attack.

Will
UTS Regular

Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:24 am

Sounds like a decent performance and it was always going to be a struggle to get anything at Sheffield - promotion favourites, unbeaten in their last two games and looking for an immediate return to the championship. One of the positives so far has got to be that we are getting goals and threatening - something that was a bit of a problem last season.
I was committed to getting to more games this season and lo and behold the missus gets sick and I have to play nursey! Will be there on Saturday though - should be a comfortable win - if only life was like that. :roll:

Mal
UTS Veteran

Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:42 am

Well that was tough sitting in the South Stand surrounded by thousands of Blades with my pal made for an interesting evening, plenty of good banter and even had the colours on so a bit of a fifties flash back!

I would agree with most of the previous comments in that we played some fantastic football and I do not exagerate when I say we could have been 4/5 nil at half time.

The Blades around me were mostly shocked that we were even in Div1 and asking where we ended up last season, a great deal of pride in the boys tonight.

We hit the bar and the post twice, Gnakpa missed a sitter to make it 3-0 and when we went two nil up I literally bit my tongue and sat on my hands as the Blades were giving Simonsen loads of stick, he actually made Brain look competant last night.

The turning point was the substitutions there first goal was class and as is always the case pace and quality created the chance which was finished clinically. The equaliser was well worked maybe we could have defended better but that woudl be harsh on Sadler and Hurst who had cracking games tonight. The penalty well on seeing the replay on the big screen I think you could have called it either way but it was given and Cresswell smashed into the roof of the net. But even after that we had chances to equal up the score again with shots fired in and some dodgy goalkeeping, but we just couldn't find that goal even with 5 mins added time!

The game was really open and I can tell you to say the Blades fans were impressed with Deans boys made me proud, ok we let a 2 goal margin slip but we can analyse to death, I expected nothing, watched a great performance bar 10 mins and actually watched the players in a different light last night.

Player watch wise a couple of great saves from Jimmy as normal, no chance with any of the goals
Sadler and Westlake again played well
Butts and Olly were solid, with all goals coming from deep with pace which is really hard to play against
Tauns and Peterlin were excellent for 65 mins and had a tough last 30 but you have to say what an improvement on O'Keefe, Marshall et al
Hurst and Gnakpa, MOM goes to Kevin with Gnakpa an enigma but still played well
Macken and Grigg, Superb link up play but we do lack pace and if anything a quick striker would be on my wish list

Subs: Nicholls, I am no fan but he played it simple, used his pace and caused problems, Jarvis came on and clearly is struggling, played left midfield I think this gamble will fail but you can see the lad is busting a gut he just isn't fit enough

Deano, well suffered plenty of Wednesday abuse but overall must be pleased, I guess he will feel we should have won and he is right but I would say we play like that and start to take the chances there are going to be many Brizzle Rovers scorelines this season as we could have been 5-0 up before thety scored!

Fans; the boys and girls behind the goal outsang 16,000 Blades at times with a few of the old faves sang which I haven't heard in years well done!

PreviousNext
Return to 2011-12 Season