Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Sheffield United (A) League 1 Tuesday 16/8/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
Duke
Site Addict

Sheffield United (A) League 1 Tuesday 16/8/11.

Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:11 pm

We travel to Yorkshire to face much traveled Danny Wilson's Sheffield United , the Blades will be looking for a swift return to the Championship have started the season as follows.

League 1 - Oldham - away - won 2-0
Carling Cup - Hartlepool - away - drew 1-1 won 4-2 on penalties
League 1 - Brentford - home - won 2-0.

Prediction : tough game not helped by the fact we'll be without the services of Adam Chambers and the inspirational Andy Butler
however I'm going for a battling goalless draw .

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Re: Sheffield United (A) League 1 Tuesday 16/8/11.

Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:22 pm

Sheffield Utd 0-7 Walsall
Blazing Saddler and Evo V Tape 66 and Duke for the unified uts tag team championship

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:33 pm

Without Butler & Chambers I unfortunately can't see anything other than a complete tatering.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:59 pm

Draw or to lose by the odd goal. Or a shock win.

7 sendings off.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:20 pm

tinned wrote:Without Butler & Chambers I unfortunately can't see anything other than a complete tatering.

Agreed. Even with these two, it would have been an uphill struggle!

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:26 pm

how mighty is their squad in comparison to ours and the rest of the divison ?

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:32 pm

brummie saddler wrote:how mighty is their squad in comparison to ours and the rest of the divison ?

Compare Manure players to the contents of a wastepaper bin, and you'll get a close comparison.

redsaddler
UTS Regular

Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:38 pm

If we get anything from this one it will be a bonus.
Losing Chambers and Butler makes it harder, but let's see how much strength in depth we have.
Referee for this one is Andy Haines. :evil:

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:09 pm

I think it'd be crazy to go into the Sheffield United game without making a signing whether that be permanently or on loan. The loss of Chambers and Butler is massive for us and without at least one addition I could see Tuesday night being a bit embarrassing. Nevertheless I have no doubt the lads will do there very best as ever under DS.

Looking at options available from the bench we have Grof, Beevers, Nicholls, Jarvis, Deards, Bowerman, Paterson and Butlin - that's it. Apparently based on the fitness results of pre-season Beevers is still some weeks away from being at a 'satisfactory match fitness'. Bowerman, Paterson, Deards and Butlin might be decent young kids but they are kids. That leaves us Grof, Nicholls and Jarvis - :? We have no adequate defensive cover.

I sincerely hope we aren't carrying any knocks from today!

Hell to it, my prediction! -

Sheffield United - 1
Cresswell

Walsall - 2
Sadler
Macken

Attendance - 19,200 (495 from Walsall)
Last edited by Walsall_Casual on Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:09 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
tinned wrote:Without Butler & Chambers I unfortunately can't see anything other than a complete tatering.

Stop being so fudge negative for crying out loud.

longdogs
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:31 pm

Walsall_Casual wrote:Looking at options available from the bench we have Grof, Beevers, Nicholls, Jarvis, Deards, Bowerman, Paterson and Butlin - that's it. Apparently based on the fitness results of pre-season Beevers is still some weeks away from being at a 'satisfactory match fitness'. Bowerman, Paterson, Deards and Butlin might be decent young kids but they are kids. That leaves us Grof, Nicholls and Jarvis - :? We have no adequate defensive cover.

Is Manny Smith not available? He'd be the obvious replacement for Butler.

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:37 pm

longdogs wrote:
Walsall_Casual wrote:Looking at options available from the bench we have Grof, Beevers, Nicholls, Jarvis, Deards, Bowerman, Paterson and Butlin - that's it. Apparently based on the fitness results of pre-season Beevers is still some weeks away from being at a 'satisfactory match fitness'. Bowerman, Paterson, Deards and Butlin might be decent young kids but they are kids. That leaves us Grof, Nicholls and Jarvis - :? We have no adequate defensive cover.

Yeah he is mate. I've presumed he will replace Butler and then looked at our squad options.

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:41 pm

You Reds wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

Stop being so blinking negative for crying out loud.

I'm with the other two on this one, I can see us going down by 2-3 goals. I don't think that's being negative either, just realistic.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:46 pm

Bottom line is disipline is becoming a problem that must be resolved.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:47 pm

priestley_saddler wrote:
You Reds wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

Stop being so blinking negative for crying out loud.

I'm with the other two on this one, I can see us going down by 2-3 goals. I don't think that's being negative either, just realistic.

Maybe so Priestley but there's no need to go on & on & on. AM started being negative in the Hartlepool thread, now this one. It's like he's trying to prove some sort of point.

Anything else on the Horizon AM? Maybe a thread full of negative thoughts prior the Sheff U game?

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:57 pm

longdogs wrote:

Smith was on the bench at Hartlepool he'll start for sure at Sheffield

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:46 pm

brummie saddler wrote:how mighty is their squad in comparison to ours and the rest of the divison ?

Will this squad, be so mighty, as to... :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hJQ18S6aag[/youtube]

I'll go for a 3-0 defeat. priestley_saddler to feverishly scribble notes for his match report, only to have them blown away by a wind so mighty as to lay low the mountains of the earth.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:00 pm

Exile wrote:

Will this squad, be so mighty, as to... :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hJQ18S6aag[/youtube]

I'll go for a 3-0 defeat. priestley_saddler to feverishly scribble notes for his match report, only to have them blown away by a wind so mighty as to lay low the mountains of the earth.

And 'You Reds' shall be sucked in to the land of negativity, that shall render all Saddlers past and present to dwell in that land forever, until a mighty sword should swipe them all unto a manifestation of despair. The howlings of empty dwellings
of Bramhall Lane lay testiment to our utter torment..Yeah i'd go for 3-0 too.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:17 pm

Am I right in thinking Butler will be available to play if we appeal the red card as Deano said we will?

If so, 2-0 defeat, if not, i can see it being 4 or 5

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:41 pm

Wyrley_saddler wrote:Am I right in thinking Butler will be available to play if we appeal the red card as Deano said we will?

Can't see how you come to that conclusion to be honest. Maybe if he hadn't played yesterday, we may have won 1-0. Just a thought. Smith has a chance to get his first team place back, you never know, he may just surprise us.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Re: Re: Sheffield United (A) League 1 Tuesday 16/8/11.

Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:37 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
Wyrley_saddler wrote:Am I right in thinking Butler will be available to play if we appeal the red card as Deano said we will?

Can't see how you come to that conclusion to be honest. Maybe if he hadn't played yesterday, we may have won 1-0. Just a thought. Smith has a chance to get his first team place back, you never know, he may just surprise us.

When Smith first came into the side, and during his first prolonged spell in the team, he was excellent. He wasn't the only one to go backwards under a certain manager since then though.

The others who went backwards, notably Taundry and Westlake have, albeit in the first few games of this season have looked much better with a decent pre-season and with clear guidelines from the manager. Let's not write Manny off but instead give him the opportunity to show he can achieve what he is capable of.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Re: Re: Sheffield United (A) League 1 Tuesday 16/8/11.

Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:13 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:

When Smith first came into the side, and during his first prolonged spell in the team, he was excellent. He wasn't the only one to go backwards under a certain manager since then though.

The others who went backwards, notably Taundry and Westlake have, albeit in the first few games of this season have looked much better with a decent pre-season and with clear guidelines from the manager. Let's not write Manny off but instead give him the opportunity to show he can achieve what he is capable of.

I never got to any pre season games, but a few who went to Scotland said Smith looked a bit more like his old self. What I hope is, that if he does do well, then he should keep his place in the side.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:43 pm

Sheff Utd 2 - 0 Walsall. 3 players to be sent off for Walsall, 2 in the last couple of minutes. Walsall state afterwards that they are looking to patch up the squad some time in January.

A few decent ale pubs in Sheffield for any thirsty saddlers before the game. 8)

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:18 pm

Lot of doom merchants about :wink:

1-1 Gnakpa to maintain our unbeaten start

368 Saddlers

MILO5
UTS Veteran

Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Sheff Utd 1 Saddlers 2

Macken and Grigg

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:42 am

IM SOOO EXCITEDD :D

CMMOONNN YOUU REDDDSS !!.

personally think we will be leaving frustrated and with nothing to show but im sure il have plenty of good memories from the pub and inside the ground, love following this lil club :)

Winston Smith
UTS Regular

Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:02 am

For those of you who are driving up to Sheffield today and are taking the scenic route.

Via Lichfield, Sudbury, Ashbourne, Bakewell, Baslow and over Totley into Sheffield.

Be aware of long term roadwork’s in Yoxall. You will have to take quite a long detour via Rangemore and Needwood.

(Well you did last week).

Have a safe journey.

U.T.S.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:28 am

Reading Saddler
UTS Regular

Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:47 am

I think this is the perfect game to use up one of our suspended player dates.

I didn't think we'd get anything out of Sheffield United anyway and if we do that means they will have to perform below par.... with this in mind if they're playing below par our squad without Chambers and potentially Butler should still be able to get something.

They play badly we might get something

They play well we will lose

(it really is up to them!)

- make no mistake Sheffield United are the new Southampton of this league and we can expect a very tough fixture.

Come you reds!!! UTS!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:53 am

"[Sheffield United are] in the third tier and are there because they deserve to be – they were relegated fair and square."

This preview was brought to you by West Ham's lawyers.

Next
Return to 2011-12 Season