Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Hartlepool United (A) League 1 Saturday 13/8/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
StudentSaddler
UTS Veteran

Re: Hartlepool United (A) League 1 Saturday 13/8/11.

Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:25 pm

Nicholls on for Macken

and Jarvis for Gnakpa
Last edited by StudentSaddler on Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:38 pm

Richard Taundry's bossing the BBC live text!

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:41 pm

You Reds wrote:Richard Taundry's bossing the BBC live text!

Confirmed on sky after on 70 minutes

stig231
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:42 pm

To complete a surreal day of us getting a penalty and 2 sendings off in the same tackle - how about Jarvis to get the winner?

Beevers now on for Peterlin

StudentSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:42 pm

Beevers for Peterlin

Croydon Saddler

Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:45 pm

Beevers and jarvis on...oh dear :shock:

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:47 pm

Le Fondre the dirty bugger.

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:49 pm

You Reds wrote:Le Fondre the dirty bother.

I always try to sign him for Walsall on Football Manager, Bonser says it's an unrealistic target :(

StudentSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:54 pm

Full time 1-1

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:55 pm

Given the circumstances, that has to be considered a very good result.
Saying that, these two red cards haven't half hampered our chances of getting something from Tuesday's game.

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:56 pm

It appears Taundey's had another good game

WFC_Jimmy
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:56 pm

In the playoff places 8)

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:59 pm

Good result, only one concern and that's the amount of bookings.

BTW the attendance was 5,170! I though they sold near enough 6,000 season tickets?

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:00 pm

Duke wrote:It appears Taundey's had another good game

You cant say that rememeber. Otherwise your a bummer.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:09 pm

153 Saddlers, expected more tbh.

Fans being priced out I'm guessing. 25 quid a pop ay it?

bangsection
Site Addict

Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:15 pm

Good performance, good point. Taundry and Lancashire excellent, only Peterlin disappointing. Tremendous save from Jimmy to keep us in it with 10 minutes to go. Referee correct to send both players off - they both left the ground with studs showing. Full report when I get home.

Casual D
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:12 pm

bangsection wrote:Referee correct to send both players off - they both left the ground with studs showing. Full report when I get home.

Should be interesting on the highlights. Sounds like that Rocky movie freeze frame ending. Shame the frame didn't freeze before they actually made contact tho....

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:37 pm

Fair play to Taundry. Seems like he ay been a headless chicken.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:16 pm

Now Butler & chambers out for Tuesdays bashing!!
MMF beware, after Tuesday nights easy win Sheff United will already be on 9 points and leaving the station whilst the rest will be still taking on coal......was I a trainspoter by any chance?
Reasonable point today, but two red cards :(
Have to mention that Middlesborough proved today at Elland Road, how good they are, putting our humiliation on Tuesday night into perspective somewhat.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:21 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Now Butler & chambers out for Tuesdays bashing!!
MMF beware, after Tuesday nights easy win Sheff United will already be on 9 points and leaving the station whilst the rest will be still taking on coal......was I a trainspoter by any chance?
Reasonable point today, but two red cards :(
Have to mention that Middlesborough proved today at Elland Road, how good they are, putting our humiliation on Tuesday night into perspective somewhat.

Jesus, writing us off before we have even started. Providing we can stay 11 v 11 anything can happen

Middlesbourough were playing 9 men today instead of 10 !

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:15 pm

Just got back, what a thoroughly bizarre match.

We actually got a penalty, which came as such a shock that nobody quite knew what to do "What theif hock is one of these?" was the immediate chant. Macken remembered how to take them, and stroked it in sending the keeper the wrong way.

Contrary to what Sky reported, their goalkeeper didn't score the equaliser, but only because their striker goal snatched it on the line. Long clearance, Butler let it go over his head to go to Wacka, who was deceived by the combination of wind and bounce, was caught in no mans land as it drifted in.

Then the sendings off. Butler had got his back to us when he went in for the tackle, he may have gone in two footed but my initial reaction was that he hadn't. Their player definitely did though, and then proceeded to "do a Chambers" and role around the floor in the hope his opponent would get sent off too. Only unfortunately for us, this time it worked and Butler was dismissed. Whether I was just too dumbstruck reacting to the Butler the decison or what, but I didn't see a red card brandished to their player. I saw him hobble off and expected him to come sprinting back on as soon as he realised his plan had worked, but he didn't and he went off down the tunnel too. Hopefully Butler punched him when they were out of view. Our reaction was that Butler must have been sent off for something he said, but at the start of the second half when the linesman comes down to check if there are any holes in the net, he answered a fans "What was the red card for linesman?" query by saying "Serious foul play".

Yet again I'm a bit concerned by Deano's insistence that we will appeal this. I haven't seen it again yet, but surely if he went for a two footed tackle there are no grounds to appeal anyway. But this brings me to a slightly bigger issue. His post match comments are that he doesn't believe either player deserved to go. Now their player definitely went in two footed. And whether Deano thinks two footed tackles deserve a straight red or not, that's irrelevant. The fact is, they are. So it needs to be drummed into the players heads not to do it. Lack of discipline is gonna cost us, I'm sure Mackens booking was for dissent.

Walker - Obvious error for the goal, but made up for it with a cracking stop 10 minutes from the end. Commanded his box as well as always and restored the confidence in his defence.
Westlake - Has started the season well, and adapted well when we changed from a back four to a back three.
Sadler - See Westlake
Lancashire - MOTM. Marshalled the defence superbly after Butler's dismissal and really stepped up to the plate in the absence of his captain.
Butler - Not one of his better days. Was at fault with Wacka for the goal and was then harshly dismissed (I might revise this view after watching TFLS)
Taundry - Kept up his impressive early season form, ran Lancashire close for MOTM.
Peterlin - Slotted in well to the point we didn't really miss Chambers, but doesn't use the ball as well. Still a steady full debut for the American.
Hurst - Really hard working for a winger. However, I don't think he's a left winger as he doesn't seem to have a left foot. Would like to see him tried on the other side.
Gnakpa - Everytime he gets the ball I expect him to do something with it, because he does have the ability. However, it just hasn't quite fell for him yet, a bit like his shot that cleared the stand.
Macken - Is 33 next month and by now should have enough experience to know you're only asking for trouble when you're penalised for a foul so respond by picking it up and hurling it at the ground. Was naturally booked. Took his penalty well and looks our most dangerous player.
Grigg - Had a couple of chances second half. Needs a goal to kick start his season.

Subs

Nicholls - Ran around chasing balls he was never gonna catch.
Jarvis - Didn't run around chasing balls he would have caught if he'd have bothered to try. I'm sure MMF will appreciate me pointing out that he now falls into that rare breed. A white Walsall player who is a lazy so and so.
Beevers - Came on in midfield, didn't have time to make an impact.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:28 pm

Well at least that wasn't £25( woman on gate said home season ticket was £100!) for a boring nil-nil. Thought it was probably a fair result though I hadn't expected it to stay at 1-1. Was impressed with Taundry who was my MOM & I think that the Sadler/Hurst combination could develop into a really fruitful partnership. Regarding the sending offs, I thought that both players went in to the challenge 2 footed & could have easily caused each other serious injury though would be interested to see it again.
A Hartlepool fan on the train said their goalie scored with a long punt in the last game of last season so perhaps he will try & claim it.I thought it was going in before their forward made sure.
Still an enjoyable game. Hope that Tuesday's is entertaining as well.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:56 pm

priestley_saddler wrote:Just got back, what a thoroughly bizarre match.

We actually got a penalty, which came as such a shock that nobody quite knew what to do "What theif hock is one of these?" was the immediate chant. Macken remembered how to take them, and stroked it in sending the keeper the wrong way.

Contrary to what Sky reported, their goalkeeper didn't score the equaliser, but only because their striker goal snatched it on the line. Long clearance, Butler let it go over his head to go to Wacka, who was deceived by the combination of wind and bounce, was caught in no mans land as it drifted in.

Then the sendings off. Butler had got his back to us when he went in for the tackle, he may have gone in two footed but my initial reaction was that he hadn't. Their player definitely did though, and then proceeded to "do a Chambers" and role around the floor in the hope his opponent would get sent off too. Only unfortunately for us, this time it worked and Butler was dismissed. Whether I was just too dumbstruck reacting to the Butler the decison or what, but I didn't see a red card brandished to their player. I saw him hobble off and expected him to come sprinting back on as soon as he realised his plan had worked, but he didn't and he went off down the tunnel too. Hopefully Butler punched him when they were out of view. Our reaction was that Butler must have been sent off for something he said, but at the start of the second half when the linesman comes down to check if there are any holes in the net, he answered a fans "What was the red card for linesman?" query by saying "Serious foul play".

Yet again I'm a bit concerned by Deano's insistence that we will appeal this. I haven't seen it again yet, but surely if he went for a two footed tackle there are no grounds to appeal anyway. But this brings me to a slightly bigger issue. His post match comments are that he doesn't believe either player deserved to go. Now their player definitely went in two footed. And whether Deano thinks two footed tackles deserve a straight red or not, that's irrelevant. The fact is, they are. So it needs to be drummed into the players heads not to do it. Lack of discipline is gonna cost us, I'm sure Mackens booking was for dissent.

Walker - Obvious error for the goal, but made up for it with a cracking stop 10 minutes from the end. Commanded his box as well as always and restored the confidence in his defence.
Westlake - Has started the season well, and adapted well when we changed from a back four to a back three.
Sadler - See Westlake
Lancashire - MOTM. Marshalled the defence superbly after Butler's dismissal and really stepped up to the plate in the absence of his captain.
Butler - Not one of his better days. Was at fault with Wacka for the goal and was then harshly dismissed (I might revise this view after watching TFLS)
Taundry - Kept up his impressive early season form, ran Lancashire close for MOTM.
Peterlin - Slotted in well to the point we didn't really miss Chambers, but doesn't use the ball as well. Still a steady full debut for the American.
Hurst - Really hard working for a winger. However, I don't think he's a left winger as he doesn't seem to have a left foot. Would like to see him tried on the other side.
Gnakpa - Everytime he gets the ball I expect him to do something with it, because he does have the ability. However, it just hasn't quite fell for him yet, a bit like his shot that cleared the stand.
Macken - Is 33 next month and by now should have enough experience to know you're only asking for trouble when you're penalised for a foul so respond by picking it up and hurling it at the ground. Was naturally booked. Took his penalty well and looks our most dangerous player.
Grigg - Had a couple of chances second half. Needs a goal to kick start his season.

Subs

Nicholls - Ran around chasing balls he was never gonna catch.
Jarvis - Didn't run around chasing balls he would have caught if he'd have bothered to try. I'm sure MMF will appreciate me pointing out that he now falls into that rare breed. A white Walsall player who is a lazy so and so.
Beevers - Came on in midfield, didn't have time to make an impact.

Great report Priestly, thanks very much. It was really interesting and informative.

Can I just point out that Macken is 34 next month, and that as far as I can tell it is me who has challenged the Ron Atkinson stereotype by asking whether any white Walsall players are ever described as lazy.

bangsection
Site Addict

Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:27 pm

Great report Priestly - agree with almost all of that. Don't like to single anyone out after a really good team performance but Peterlin was poor in the second half and got caught on the ball twice - the second time on the edge of his own box, leading to Pool's best chance of the half.

Taundry was a revelation. We know about his energy and pace but I was really impressed with his distribution and poise on the ball today too. Some great tackles too. Hard to call MOTM between Taundry and Lancashire who seemed to relish his solo centre half role.

Finally, it's worth reiterating just how bizarre the double sending off was. I'm not sure a single Walsall fan clocked that their player had been dismissed as well (i certainly didnt) and the referee got Dog's abuse for the rest of the half!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:18 pm

bangsection wrote:Taundry was a revelation.

Bummer. 8)

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:35 pm

I'd have taken that result at the start, and that'll do.

Story now on the front page, complete with poll!

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:38 pm

Not a bad game, first half was certainly eventful.

On the sending off - I was expecting the red card to come out for Butler, both players left the ground to be fair, but like bangsection said, no one saw the referee show it to the hartlepool player. And for those confused over why the red card was shown, the lino said before the start of the second half that it was for serious foul play, so not to do with the language. Also, thought Macken was lucky not to get sent off, not sure about the tackle but he got up and slammed the ball on the floor, had to be held back from lamping one of their players, and no doubt gave the ref some verbal abuse..

A draw was probably a fair result in the end.

Walker - bad positioning for their goal, made a good save at the end though.
Westlake - decent, solid when it went to 3 at the back.
Lancashire - immense.
Butler - should have done better for the goal conceded, good until the sending off.
Sadler - same as westlake, looks good going foward too.
Gnakpa - he could be good when he wants to be, but didnt do a lot today. went up front for a little bit when Nicholls came on, and didnt even jump for heeaders.
Taundry - much better than when I've seen him in the past few seasons.
Peterlin - quiet, didnt do much wrong.
Hurst - got around, but whenever the ball came to him, play seemed to slow down. Also, was often in the middle of the park rather than out wide.
Macken - Ok, lucky not to get sent off i think.
Grigg - very quiet.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:53 pm

You Reds wrote:153 Saddlers, expected more tbh.

Poor turnout today. At least some of us made the effort. Perhaps the missing 1400 who made it to Southampton are all on holiday this week :)

Mafino
UTS Regular

Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:12 pm

Graydon48 wrote:
You Reds wrote:153 Saddlers, expected more tbh.

Poor turnout today. At least some of us made the effort. Perhaps the missing 1400 who made it to Southampton are all on holiday this week :)

Oy, I'm back next month haha

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:21 pm

IF he sent one off he had to send the other.

Butler was in the air with both feet, but still, harsh on both players i reckon.

PreviousNext
Return to 2011-12 Season