Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Middlesbrough (H) Carling Cup First Round Tuesday 9/8/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Re: Middlesbrough (H) Carling Cup First Round Tuesday 9/8/11

Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:34 pm

For me the game was over at one nil.

Deano should use the rest of the game as an exercise of 10 v 11.

I fear it may be needed in the future.

3 quick bookings on saturday followed by a rash two footed challenge and a needless yellow for Jimmy.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:45 pm

Collected my early bird freebie last week for tonight, but failed to use it because I've just got back from digging a bloody big hole for a dead labrador. On the evidence of the BBC text commentary for tonight, I might have had the better deal by staying in the environs of Sutton tonight.

Loved the performance of Chambers on Saturday (he reminded me of a slightly inferior but young Martin O'Connor), but I fear that practice playing with 10 men might be worthwhile. We'll miss him for those 3 games.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:52 pm

The second half starts, with Alex Nicholls getting his big chance!!! On for Jon Macken.

Pride of Bescot

Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:53 pm

Middlesborough penalty 3-0. Emnes hat-trick.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:56 pm

Oh F this.

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:59 pm

who wanted a cup run anyway .

me :(

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:00 pm

Pride of Bescot wrote:Middlesborough penalty 3-0. Emnes hat-trick.

And another booking - Hurst this time. We really are going be in deep guano in a few weeks if this goes on :(

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:00 pm

Digging the hole was definitely a stroke of good luck. I'd be leaving bezzla now

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:02 pm

derbysaddler wrote:Oh F this.

Thinking similar.

I'm off to watch the telly to see how the scroats down the road are ruining Salford and Manchester, if it's possible to ruin it even further!
Last edited by Jolly Johnny on Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:10 pm

Cup Run? Ah! I know, that comes from the same discarded encyclopedia that contains the word 'penalty'
I'm sure Walsall F.C.'s chances of doing well again this season are as remote as a job being available at a job centre!
Right, back to the riots on the telly, now, Erol could you loot me a 42" sony for my cousin please?

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:12 pm

Glad i decided to save a tenner now.

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:39 pm

Deano needs to very quickly teach his squad the difference between the words "committed" and "deranged"... :(

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:44 pm

Fulltime 0-3, attendance 3,564.

Quote from a mate at the match:

"We are not doing anything wrong,we are just getting swamped".

Without the sending off, maybe we could have got something from this match?

chesterperry

Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:50 pm

This game, and particulary Chambers (correct) but stupid dismissal could have serious repercussions on the the start of the season, with Hartlepool, Sheff U and yeovil to play in the next 3, instead of looking at 6 or 7 points, 3 at best is now all that can be realisticly expected, potentially worse. Unless of course we dip into the loan / transfer market.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Completely outplayed tonight

Disappointed that we caved in so easily when we lost Chambers

Deano needs to sort out the indiscipline quickly particularly the dissent

Chambers tackle was cowardly and got what it deserved - smith should eff his eyes out

Why people were slating the ref is beyond Me

Roll on Saturday

motty
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:59 pm

BathSaddler wrote:Fulltime 0-3, attendance 3,564.

Quote from a mate at the match:

"We are not doing anything wrong,we are just getting swamped".

Without the sending off, maybe we could have got something from this match?

Not a chance pal,was a good bit of banter though. That Emnes should not be in the championship,and the referee was absolutely shocking.
Did not let the play flow well at all and typical lectures and cards to walsall players,Not a sodding word to there shower of poo poo.
I have images of him and tony sipping whisky as we speak.
Red card was a red card no arguments go in 2 footed with studs showing your off nowadays,utterly stupid and id fine him a weeks wages.

motty
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:00 pm

chestersaddler wrote:Completely outplayed tonight

Chambers tackle was cowardly and got what it deserved - smith should eff his eyes out

Roll on Saturday

so you thought that every time we challenged for a ball it was a foul, how about the butler challenge for a header.People were slating the ref because everytime there players went down there was no hesitation it was a foul.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:07 pm

motty wrote:

Roll on Saturday

so you thought that every time we challenged for a ball it was a foul, how about the butler challenge for a header.People were slating the ref because everytime there players went down there was no hesitation it was a foul.

I need to have an eye removed before the next home game, I think

Did you agree with the red card and the penalty?

Edit - I just read your comment regarding the red card

UTS Legend

Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:26 pm

motty wrote:

Roll on Saturday

The ref also started tackling Walsall players!!!!

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:29 pm

cack.

Chambers' bullshit sending off completely f*cked us up, yellow at best. That's it, well done Boro you had 12 men today.

Oh and the first time I've fully seen Jarvis play & he looks USELESS. Though I didn't agree with the F2G mongs cheering in delight when he got subbed.

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:32 pm

That was as disappointing as it was inevitable. Two things cost us tonight, Chambers red card and the Deano's decision to give as much game time as possible to Jarvis.

The sending off was as certain a red card as you'll see all season (for what its worth, he did take the ball). Not even Chambers attempts to pretend it was him that had been done was gonna prevent him from walking, so at that point the introduction of Peterlin was inevitable. Now, IMO, the sensible thing to do would have been to bring Jarvis off. Nothing against him, just if we were going to play one up top then Macken is the one you would pick. Peterlin slots in where Chambers was and, considering we playing 80 minutes with 10 men, keep our two banks of four and make ourselves difficult to break down. However, Deano decided to bring Gnakpa off instead. This was strange, for four reasons. 1) Gnakpa was the only player on the pitch with anything resembling pace, and when playing with 10 men you really need an outlet. This was immediately lost, 2) one of the big positives of Gnakpa's performance on Saturday was his heading, picking up Wacka's clearances and nodding them on to the strikers or back into the midfielders, meaning Wacka also lost his outball. 3) It meant we were incredibly stretched across the middle, had a winger trying to make up the third man in midfield and the three of them were all over the place all night. Where we won the midfield battle on Saturday, we were swamped in there tonight. And finally, 4) It meant we had no width at all meaning anything we tried had to be down the middle. It made us one dimensional, predictable and impotent. We may have lost the match anyway, but this just added another unnecessary level of difficulty. It is always said that no one player is more important than any team, but the insistence in keeping Jarvis on the pitch was detrimental to our cause. When you have a man sent off and you need to make a tactical substitution you do what is in the best interests of the team and I genuinely think DS put giving Jarvis game time above that tonight. But, he's a young manager and hopefully he will learn from this mistake

Nicholls arrival at half time was also inevitable, as we needed to go back to four across the middle. But oddly, it was Macken who got brought off. Now this is slightly more understandable with Saturday in mind, but because Jarvis isn't really suited to the lone striker role, Nicholls was played up front meaning we still only had three in midfield, and the same problems persisted. Taundry, Peterlin and Hurst to their immense credit did really well trying to protect the backline (apart from the three goals I don't remember Wacka making a save), but they were put in an impossible position.

When Jarvis was finally replaced (he really does look a poor signing, but probably didn't deserve quite the level of criticism aimed at him from the first minute, mostly from the twannock sat next to me), Bowerman really did look like he has potential when he came on. I almost wish he'd started ahead of Jarvis, but then Chambers would have still been sent off and we'd have been in the same boat.

Word on the ref. Got a lot of stick from our fans but the sending off and the penalty looked spot on. In fact, I think Hurst was lucky not to see red as their player looked through on goal. I think what saved him is Hurst and A N Other player both went into tackle, which probably allowed the ref to see it as another covering defender and Hurst got away with yellow. It was the niggly little decisions that pee'd everyone off. Not stopping the game when Butler was down with a head injury, giving a corner when Westlake clearly knocked the ball out off their man in the incident that saw Wacka booked. Those were the sort of things that become irritating.

Speaking of Wacka being booked (for dissent), that's the third booking of its type in two games. It needs to be stamped out now. If we have one player booked for dissent every game that's around 50 bookings over a season, ten complete suspensions!! They need to learn to shut up and they need to do it now.

Final word on their hat trick player Emnes. His second goal was a class finish. Should be playing in the Premier League.
Last edited by priestley_saddler on Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cannock
UTS Regular

Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:50 pm

priestley_saddler wrote: His second goal was a class finish.

No it wasn't. It was crap marking from our defenders.

Totally agree with the rest of your summary though.

My first match for around 9 months. Not particularly enjoyable i'm sad to say.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:56 pm

You Reds wrote:guano.

Chambers' rubbish sending off completely f*cked us up, yellow at best. That's it, well done Boro you had 12 men today.

Oh and the first time I've fully seen Jarvis play & he looks USELESS. Though I didn't agree with the F2G mongs cheering in delight when he got subbed.

To say he is a poor signing is an understatement though. I am all for giving players time, but this guy is going to make Sam Parkin look prolific. Give it two weeks before we sign a loan player to replace him.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:58 pm

Good summary, priestly.

Re: the ref. I get peed off with grown men whinging because a decision goes against them. Not a good example to set for our kids. Just accept it (players and supporters). He got the big calls right tonight, unfortunately they were against us.

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:00 pm

agree with much of priestley saddler thought we allowed them too much time.

agreed with the motm desicion for taundry but peterlin played well also.

as for the sending off quite warrented in my opinion. two feet and looked off the floor

pleased with both nicholls and bowerman in the second half.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:05 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:To say he is a poor signing is an understatement though. I am all for giving players time, but this guy is going to make Sam Parkin look prolific. Give it two weeks before we sign a loan player to replace him.

H'es how tall? 6ft 1/2? And pretty bulky all over, yet Ryan can't even hold up the ball nor win a single header, though it would've helped if he actually jumped up for the header and not just stand there like a complete mongtard looking for the foul. Definitely need a striker in loan.

Percie
Glitterati

Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:06 pm

You Reds wrote:Chambers' rubbish sending off completely f*cked us up, yellow at best. That's it, well done Boro you had 12 men today.

Just a yellow? Are you on smack? He should have had two red cards for that challenge! Absolutely pathetic!

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:13 pm

Percie wrote:
You Reds wrote:Chambers' rubbish sending off completely f*cked us up, yellow at best. That's it, well done Boro you had 12 men today.

Just a yellow? Are you on smack? He should have had two red cards for that challenge! Absolutely pathetic!

Yes I go it wrong. Been told already so meh.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:34 pm

I think Priestley Saddler's summary is fair enough. I am worried about the lack of discipline, particularly "gobbing off" at the referee. Walker was very, very lucky not to be sent off for his verbals at the ref. His temper was a major factor in our relegation, a decade ago and it appears that he has not matured as he has got older. Come on, Deano - let's see a touch of the "Graydons" and start fining mouthy players.

Chambers deserved to be sent off, it was a penalty and the ref, though irritating at times, was nowhere near as bad as some people make out.

The game was over after 12 minutes and we will now be without our most influential player for 3 games. Jarvis, to borrow MMF's favourite word, was CLUELESS - totally out of his depth.

I hope Deano has learned from tonight's blunders (on his part). The substitution was unbelievable. Gnakpa should have stayed on. Jarvis should have been replaced. To expect Hurst, Taundry and Peterlin to cope with their 5 in midfield was asking rather a lot! :mrgreen:

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:37 pm

Percie wrote:

Agree completely. Pathetic challenge, totally needless, straight from the Dwayne Mattis school of tackling!

Is that 3 games he misses now, so annoying.

PreviousNext
Return to 2011-12 Season