Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Leyton Orient (H) League 1 Saturday 6/8/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Re: Leyton Orient (H) League 1 Saturday 6/8/11.

Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:56 pm

1-0 at full time. Lovely. Now time for a takeaway. :D

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:14 pm

An opening day home win, a clean sheet and a decent crowd.

That will do nicely.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:19 pm

Saarland Saddler wrote:4000 Walsall fans there - very encouraging

Just short - 3,961, which is over 600 more home fans than for the opening game against the Dongas last season [3,336].

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:32 pm

Ahh just got in. Whens the season finish?

We bossed the first half, but the second half was lack lustre, and Walker won us the game with two fantastic saves. A special mention for Richard Taundry, who was superb. Also Chambers scored an absolute scorcher worth staying up for tonight. Orient looked incredibly rusty. Im a bit worried by our wide men. Im glad we saw the game out, although Orient were a bit poor.

Walker - I hope he stays fit! He was rarely tested but when he was it was like 1999.
Westlake - Good game, did well going forward could have won a penalty with his shot that mysteriously hit an arm.
Butler- Solid, won MOTM but thats because hes Butler.
Lancashire - The same. Did a great job on the midget :D
Sadler - Solid, much improvement on Williams anyway.

Hurst - Slow. Appears to be either footed but his left is weak, put in all our decent crosses though. Good footballer technically and did his bit defending.
Taundry - him or Chambers were my MOTM. He tackled, he passed, he stood his ground. No worries. Yet... I thought he was a bit naughty at the end he went in with his nut, but he had been poleaxed.
Chambers - Engine. Scored a class goal, had one on on him though against his former club. I hope hes that feisty all the time!
Gnakpa - Oh dear. He will be interesting. He can run, and he can sort of head.....

Macken - Looks fit, sharp, has an extra yard of pace on last year.
Grigg- He was average, just lacks a bit of pace. Had a good first half.

Subs
Nicholls - Mainly had to defend, did it well.
Smith - We had our backs to the wall when he came on. Just steadied it up i guess.
Jarvis - Not impressed. Poor touch. Looks like more of a bustling striker than anything.

And the Referee. My oh my where do they get them from? :roll: Our players got booked for petulantly kicked the ball away. He gave some very strange decisions today. For a start there were several challenges in the first half that deserved bookings but he booked none.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:38 pm

Very, very encouraging performance, no real need for me to go into detail as LC has covered most of it. Whole team played ace, who needs another midfielder? I'd much prefer a fast, tricky striker on loan.

One thing, Leyton Orient! How boring were they to watch?! Completely one dimensional and lacked any sort of quality going forward. Fans were absolutely dross also.

motty
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:41 pm

You Reds wrote:Very, very encouraging performance, no real need for me to go into detail as LC has covered most of it. Whole team played ace, who needs another midfielder? I'd much prefer a fast, tricky striker on loan.

One thing, Leyton Orient! How boring were they to watch?! Completely one dimensional and lacked any sort of quality going forward. Fans were absolutely dross also.

Whole team played well apart from gashpa,Early days i know but if he plays with those effort rates and performance levels the rest of the season he will be back in the conference,before a walsall fan can say gnapka.

cue mmf to call me racist because he so happens to be black and i called him lazy :D .

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:57 pm

Thoroughly impressive start to the season. Three points, clean sheet and a corker of a goal the icing on the cake.

First half we was superb, winning tackles, spraying the ball across the floor, using the wide areas and actually shooting from outside the box. When we hadn't got the ball we were organised, disciplined and you felt during that first half that there was no way they were ever gonna break us down. Taundry and Chambers were immense in midfield. I was saying before the game that Taundry was probably the most impressive player in pre-season, and I'd have probably given him MOTM today. Second half they had two decent chances to equalise but Wacka made top saves from both chances. We should have had a penalty when their defender put his arms up to block a Westlake cross, but the ref was a twanger (second half especially) so we were never gonna get it.

I hope Jarvis gets a goal early in his Walsall career to win the fans over, as there were one or two signs he could become this seasons boo boy.

If I had to pick one negative, it would be that I don't think we had a shot of note from inside the box. Chambers goal was a Goal Of The Season contender, but we wont score goals like that every week. We need to work on being more ruthless and could do with someone who can run in-behind. The flip side to that is if we play and defend like that all season we wont need to score 2 and 3 goals every game to win them.

A happy Saddler tonight. Now lets see if we can follow it up and start a cup run on Tuesday. UTS!!

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:04 pm

A good game between 2 decent league one teams. We shaded the first half and they shaded the second. The most imppressive thing was how we kept our shape, Deano has them well drilled and we'll be hard to beat but i think we will struggle to score goals. Gnapka is gonna be fun, i can see him being a world beater one weak and a passanger the next, nice to have a winger that can head though.

Thought Taundry had the best game I've ever seen him play, centre halves did well and sadler and hurst look promising

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:09 pm

Also, you could see players filling in for others. Many times we ended up with Hurst at right back etc. Good to see they are more organised. We also appeared to have a plan for set pieces. Which is unusual for us.

Also, how crap was their keeper? They'll struggle against teams who lump it in the box. Thought Cuthbert had a good game for them though.

Deano_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:14 pm

1st half we were great. 2nd half we protected what we had which for me wasn't the best way to go about things but a good impressive 1st win.

Walker - Made two absolutely brilliant saves in the 2nd half.

Westlake - Looked comfortable all game and got forward when he could.

Lancashire - Superb

Butler - Superb

Sadler - Look likes a really good signing.

Gnakpa - Wasn't too impressed with him to be honest. Good in the air and sometimes showed promise when running with the ball but for most parts of the game he didn't looked interested.

Taundry - I've said so many times that he has quality and he proved he has today, some very impressive and creative passes, worked his socks off and for me should of been man of the match.

Chambers - Never stops running, good with the ball, a good leader and a cracking right foot. Probably the best signing of the summer.

Hurst - I don't get why he was playing left midfield, everytime he had to come back on his right foot. Looked decent though.

Macken - Superb at holding the ball up and bringing other players into the game. Worked his socks off.

Grigg - Worked hard and looked good with Macken.

SaddlerCraig
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:17 pm

Looked a new (better) team, I think the wings may be a problem I think that may be where we end up getting a loan player. A out and out striker is vital now as well Mackens link up play was great but he needs someone to get on the end of it and at this moment I'm not sure if Grigg will be that player few of the orient defenders were just to fast or strong for him.

Walker - Barely tested but when he was he pulled off some stunning saves. Quite amusing to hear Jim having a good swear at the lino after a terrible decision
Westlake - Good game was pretty solid only got caught out once or twice and did well going forward even if at times Gnapka ignored him wanting the pass.
Butler- Good solid game as always from him.
Lancashire - Very good I think he is Butlers natural partner.
Sadler - Very good he was quick confident and able to attack as well as defend.

Hurst - He was good seems able to beat his man and links up well with the others, crossing he needs to not always go for back post but he has a good overall play and can only improve over time.
Taundry - My MOTM, I admit I was on him a bit last season but saw he was progressing and today he looked a brand new player, he had pace was more careful with his tackles and his passes didn't seem to go astray at all and he did a brilliant on the floor pass from defence to the strikers.
Chambers - Absolute class and has been since pre season, he fights for the ball passes well and seems confident to have a go at goal.. stunning goal today. He looks hungry could be a key player for us this season.
Gnakpa - Defending seemed non existent from him but going forward he seemed intresting, he does seem like he will blow hot and cold but he has real potential.

Macken - Looks a whole new player, much quicker and could beat a defender and looked much more confident.
Grigg- He was ok seemed a bit slow though and still needs some more strength but overall he had a good first half.

Subs
Nicholls - Was decent not enough time to make an impact.
Smith - Solid just a extra guy on to keep us solid at the back when we got nervy.
Jarvis - Didn't do much seemed to be chasing well but overall play not the greatest.

Good attitude from the team today and I think we have potential if we can get some strong loan players in to help boost the team especially when injuries and suspensions come round.

The less said about that refree the better!

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:06 pm

By far the better team in the first half , Orient decided to attack us a lot more in the second instead of passing sideways that never really hurt us in the first period .

Two brilliant saves from Super Jim , impressed with our back four very solid and well organized Butler appeared to be everywhere .
Midfield , Taundry superb passing range and got stuck in could have won MOTM defiantly time to get off his back , Chambers an early contender to goal of the season tremendous effort the Orient fans clapped when his name was announced good addition to our midfield , Gnapka look good in patches could be better with more consistency , Hurst did OK tended to over hit his crosses at times .
Upfront , Grigg work very hard some nice touches a bit surprised he came off so early possibly something to do with his international call up.
Macken all made himself available good hold up play never really had a sniff at goal.
Jarvis looked slow and well of the pace , still early days yet .

Overall three points clean sheet can't ask for anymore .

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:35 pm

Good win today by the lads and think that there are signs that there is, at last, a well balanced, hard working team shaping up. Thought we were superb first half but did fade a little in the second half and if there was a negative it was that we didn't carve out more clear cut chances, but sometimes games go like that. The team seems to have the work ethic to put a shift in and if you have that mentality you always have a chance.

Walker - Two stunning saves and (as usual) did everything else right.
Westlake - Solid game, the kind he needs to continue to progress.
Sadler - Looks a good signing. Didn't put a foot wrong.
Lancashire - Did well against Cureton and has a great understanding with Butler.
Butler - Excellent (yet again). Heads, tackles and leads by example.
Taundry - Brilliant performance. Tackled, ran, passed and was technically spot on - really pleased for him. Most importantly though he seems to have an understanding with Chambers already.
Chambers - My MOTM - especially in the first half, especially as it was a debut against his old team and scored such a good goal. I can't remember being more impressed with a midfield debutant for a long time. Was always near the ball (reminded me of O'Connor at times) and read the game superbly.
Gnakpa - I'm sure he'll be good for us but wasn't impressive today... typical winger I suppose.
Hurst - Not an explosive wide man but adds balance to the team - you couldn't have two Gnakpa's in there. Technically good, put a shift in but his final ball let him down.
Macken - Held the ball up well, and was always looking to have the ball or make a run.
Grigg - Did ok and like Macken put a shift in.

Subs:
Jarvis - Ran around a bit but his touch let him down.
Nicholls - Ok but not on long enough to influence the game much.
Smith - On late to add a bit of steel.

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:55 pm

Excellent opening day victory against a side who had a decent season last season in all fairness to them. First half we bossed it, second we sat back and allowed them into the game. Nevertheless that was the tactic Smith employed and it worked!

Walker - Simply a legend! Two find saves that effectively earned us maximum points. The team overall looks far more confident knowing we have such an able keeper between the sticks.
Westlake - The boys got a really bright future in the game in my opinion. Excellent today although he needs to remain switched on and focused for 90 minutes.
Sadler - Solid as - proper fullback. Find it amazing he spent the whole of last seaon in League Two. Great signing.
Butler - Good solid game. The defensive triangle seems confidence and the communication between them seems superb. Butler is key to that.
Lancashire - Been a fan of his since day one. Take a bow Nicholl and Smith you will make this lad a proper player. Excellent today.
Gnapka - Still not sure. Good in spells, quiet for others. Provides a good balance yet neglects his defensive duties at times.
Hurst - Generally good. I like him.
Chambers - What a belter! Excellent first half, less effective second. I feel the referee played his part dishing out two final warnings in the first twenty minutes. Key player.
Taundry - My MOTM. Overall excellent. Tackling, passing, workrate - bravo!
Grigg - Found it difficult at times again two big centre-halves but nevertheless a threat.
Macken - Maybe quieter that he might have hoped but overall very good.

Subs:-
Smith - Last couple of minutes.
Nicholls - Tried to get involved and contributed effectively defensively.
Jarvis - Hasn't had a great start but I see something that makes me think he will come good.

Atomic Rooster
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:29 pm

What a difference it makes when you play as a team my man of the match taundry i hope he stops the taundry haters

StudentSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:47 pm

latviancheese wrote:Also, you could see players filling in for others. Many times we ended up with Hurst at right back etc. Good to see they are more organised. We also appeared to have a plan for set pieces. Which is unusual for us.

Also, how crud was their keeper? They'll struggle against teams who lump it in the box. Thought Cuthbert had a good game for them though.

He was their second choice keeper.. :)

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:59 pm

I agree with plenty already written

Taundry MOTM
Solid and organised
Looked like a team that was working for each other
Cracking goal
Two excellent saves from Jimmy

Main concern was the lack of chances created. We played well up to the edge of the box but lacked the final killer ball, but agree that we won't need to score 3 every game to get a draw like we needed to under Hutchings.

SWS1

Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:34 pm

Level on points with the playoffs! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
End the season now!
:lol:

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:52 pm

Yay! Best team in the world. :D

kevin
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:12 am

SaddlerCraig wrote: Quite amusing to hear Jim having a good swear at the lino after a terrible decision

Think everybody in the ground heared that :D

SaddlerCraig wrote:

Gnakpa - Defending seemed non existent from him but going forward he seemed intresting, he does seem like he will blow hot and cold but he has real potential.!

First time I've seen him........................looks like Jules Mk 2.

chesterperry

Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:36 am

swiftyboy wrote:
chesterperry wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:2-1 to the mighty reds.

Stayaways to stay. Away.

Evo to hold head shining classes in the concourse at 2:30, 3:45 and 5:00

What's a stayaway?

I should be there if work allows. Hopefully in the club for 4 pre-match pints.

Walsall will win 2-0

Swifty, seriously I wil buy you a season ticket stand of your choice., no more excuses

Are you rich? :-)

yes :D is that a yes then?

deanonev69
Glitterati

Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:21 am

Agree with what has been said on the whole: solid, team performance.

What summed up the ineptitude of the referee was his treatment of Chambers. Towards the back end of the first half he gave a free kick against him (that in my view wasn't) and then had a word and it seemed apparent that he pointed out previous challenges and made it clear that no more would be tolerated and as such, he could expect a yellow for persistent foul play if there were any further free kicks given against him. So when Chambers gave away a free kick in the second half......cue no card, lecture, anything: so what was the point of the warning if you don't follow it through?

bigbadsad
UTS Veteran

Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:17 pm

MY RATINGS!

WALKER -9

WESTLAKE - 6
BUTLER - 8
LANCASHIRE - 8
SADLER - 7

HURST - 7
CHAMBERS - 9 MOTM
TAUNDRY - 8
GNAPKA - 6

GRIGG - 6
MACKEN - 7

SUBS

SMITH - 6
NICHOLLS- 6
JARVIS - 5

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:30 pm

Only 83 posts after an encouraging win? Some people only come on to moan... :wink:

Evo Boozy Saddler
Glitterati

Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:47 pm

You Reds wrote:Only 83 posts after an encouraging win? Some people only come on to moan... :wink:

I'm going to have a moan. Saw Dicky Dosh outside and he didn't wave or make an animal gesture. Spoilt my day. Bonser out :evil:

Good performance, nice to see some organisation, and a clean sheet too. How long did we have to wait for one last season? Pleasing all round and I think a decent season could be on the cards

jp61saddler

Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:10 pm

Gnapka may have had an indifferent game but in both the Villa match and yesterday he won an incredible amount of headers in midfield going forward ! Something we have lacked for a long time. Especially when we were playing "Hutchings hoof ball" !!

SWS1

Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:20 pm

I'm worried that Deano tactics might be to grab a goal and then defend it (er CH?). Will work sometimes because unlike last year the defence is stronger but not very attractive to watch and induces panic in me as we defend deeper and deeper and the opposition come at us in waves. Inevitably we will concede - just how many times. We defo need someone who can score goals in the box. All shooting done from outside*. We could also do with a creative midfielder for when teams come to defend a point. Looking like a 16th finish at the mo. Must say we played like a 'team' and kept shape pretty well but need some finesse if we are to do anything.
:wink:

SWS1

Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:30 pm

deanonev69 wrote:Agree with what has been said on the whole: solid, team performance.

What summed up the ineptitude of the referee was his treatment of Chambers. Towards the back end of the first half he gave a free kick against him (that in my view wasn't) and then had a word and it seemed apparent that he pointed out previous challenges and made it clear that no more would be tolerated and as such, he could expect a yellow for persistent foul play if there were any further free kicks given against him. So when Chambers gave away a free kick in the second half......cue no card, lecture, anything: so what was the point of the warning if you don't follow it through?

Maybe someone (experienced linesman??) had a quiet word with him at half time about the odd questionable decision (litotes) he might have made re. Chambers (and others?)

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:44 pm

SWS1 wrote:I'm worried that Deano tactics might be to grab a goal and then defend it (er CH?). Will work sometimes because unlike last year the defence is stronger but not very attractive to watch and induces panic in me as we defend deeper and deeper and the opposition come at us in waves. Inevitably we will concede - just how many times. We defo need someone who can score goals in the box. All shooting done from outside*. We could also do with a creative midfielder for when teams come to defend a point. Looking like a 16th finish at the mo. Must say we played like a 'team' and kept shape pretty well but need some finesse if we are to do anything.

I'd rather have an ugly win that a exciting 4-3 loss or draw! The 'grab a goal and defend' tactic worked well for Dicky Dosh.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:00 pm

Great 3 points lads! Jimmy's one handed 'scoop' saves were out of this world! Reasonable gate too.

PreviousNext
Return to 2011-12 Season