Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Leyton Orient (H) League 1 Saturday 6/8/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Re: Leyton Orient (H) League 1 Saturday 6/8/11.

Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:40 pm

motty wrote:
You Reds wrote:Very, very encouraging performance, no real need for me to go into detail as LC has covered most of it. Whole team played ace, who needs another midfielder? I'd much prefer a fast, tricky striker on loan.

One thing, Leyton Orient! How boring were they to watch?! Completely one dimensional and lacked any sort of quality going forward. Fans were absolutely dross also.

Whole team played well apart from gashpa,Early days i know but if he plays with those effort rates and performance levels the rest of the season he will be back in the conference,before a walsall fan can say gnapka.

cue mmf to call me racist because he so happens to be black and i called him lazy :D .

Racist!!!!

Gnapka was gash yesterday, but I think he'll be a decent addition and will add something to the squad. Hurst kept wanting to get the ball on his right foot so I'd stick him on the right for the next game, and play Paterson on the left.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:33 pm

To be fair you might aswell stick Gnakpa on the left, he wanted to cut inside most of the time anyway, and he is mainly effective with his bonse. Far post crosses. Sorted.7

Just make me manager :lol:

motty
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:57 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
motty wrote:
You Reds wrote:Very, very encouraging performance, no real need for me to go into detail as LC has covered most of it. Whole team played ace, who needs another midfielder? I'd much prefer a fast, tricky striker on loan.

One thing, Leyton Orient! How boring were they to watch?! Completely one dimensional and lacked any sort of quality going forward. Fans were absolutely dross also.

Whole team played well apart from gashpa,Early days i know but if he plays with those effort rates and performance levels the rest of the season he will be back in the conference,before a walsall fan can say gnapka.

cue mmf to call me racist because he so happens to be black and i called him lazy :D .

Racist!!!!

Gnapka was gash yesterday, but I think he'll be a decent addition and will add something to the squad. Hurst kept wanting to get the ball on his right foot so I'd stick him on the right for the next game, and play Paterson on the left.

Good thinking batman. And i hope so he has a lot of potential that's clear to see,just finding a way of getting the best out of him i suppose.And i agree Hurst looked 10 times more comfortable on the right and was linking up with Westlake and Grigg really well.

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:17 pm

You Reds wrote:
SWS1 wrote:I'm worried that Deano tactics might be to grab a goal and then defend it (er CH?). Will work sometimes because unlike last year the defence is stronger but not very attractive to watch and induces panic in me as we defend deeper and deeper and the opposition come at us in waves. Inevitably we will concede - just how many times. We defo need someone who can score goals in the box. All shooting done from outside*. We could also do with a creative midfielder for when teams come to defend a point. Looking like a 16th finish at the mo. Must say we played like a 'team' and kept shape pretty well but need some finesse if we are to do anything.
:wink:

I'd rather have an ugly win that a exciting 4-3 loss or draw! The 'grab a goal and defend' tactic worked well for Dicky Dosh.

I agree. If you score and concede loads of goals, its always a lottery as to who will come out on top. Look at Blackpool last season for proof of that.

On the other hand, any team that can master the art of winning 1-0 will go places, just as we did under Sir Ray and Dickie Dosh.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:07 am

motty wrote:Whole team played well apart from gashpa,Early days i know but if he plays with those effort rates and performance levels the rest of the season he will be back in the conference,before a walsall fan can say gnapka.

Has Walsall ever had a white lazy player? Or is it only Ricketts, Byfield, Junior, Ishmel, Gray, etc who are given the R*n Atk****n label?

I disagree with all those who thought that Gnakpa had a poor match.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:39 am

Bernie wrote:[Has Walsall ever had a white lazy player?

I'll start the list with P**l M****n.

That David Kelly never tracked back for corners either. :mrgreen:

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:49 am

Bernie wrote:
motty wrote:Whole team played well apart from gashpa,Early days i know but if he plays with those effort rates and performance levels the rest of the season he will be back in the conference,before a walsall fan can say gnapka.

Has Walsall ever had a white lazy player? Or is it only Ricketts, Byfield, Junior, Ishmel, Gray, etc who are given the R*n Atk****n label?

Wayne Clarke

Gnakpa wasn't poor, he was diabolical. The only way is up.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:10 am

Bernie wrote:

Your prerogative to disagree Bernie, but I think you might be in a minority of one - he was cack. I was not impressed when he gave the ball away just inside their half in the last minute and then made no effort whatsoever to try and get back to either redeem his mistake, or help the team defend. Can't see Smith putting up with that attitude.

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:07 am

Bernie wrote:

Steve Corica turned lazyness into an art form, and Mark Robins was a lazy sod too.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:18 am

Gnakpa needs to protect his full back. Especially a young fairly attack minded one in Westlake.

For me, id try Gnakpa upfront, im sure Macken or Grigg could put a few passes in for him to chase, because one thing Gnakpa has is pace and power. He mullered their full back chasing one into the corner, didn't even break into a sweat and he was a yard behind him to start with :lol:

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:48 pm

latviancheese wrote:Gnakpa needs to protect his full back. Especially a young fairly attack minded one in Westlake.

For me, id try Gnakpa upfront, im sure Macken or Grigg could put a few passes in for him to chase, because one thing Gnakpa has is pace and power. He mullered their full back chasing one into the corner, didn't even break into a sweat and he was a yard behind him to start with :lol:

Thought about that option myself on Saturday.

Slade

Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:14 pm

Firstly congratulations on the win ... unsurprisingly Deano had done his homework on us and made us look a poor side with his tactics .. and in general you were the better team and deserved the 3 points ... although we can play far better than that .. with the exception of about 5 minutes in the second half where we huffed and puffed a bit .. we never looked like scoring.

Don't expect Adam to score like that every week though .. although for most of the last 2 years when he's been fit we used him as a defensive midfielder ... when really he's always been more of a box to box man .. the role Stephen Dawson does for us now and what we were sadly lacking on Saturday .. but if Chambo stays fit for 35 games this year you've got a cracking signing .. we felt he was a better level than us and if he hadn't had his injury problems would have done as least as good as his brother James career wise ..

Jarvis on the other hand .. all I'll say is best of luck !

I felt to be honest you never needed to get out of second gear to beat us .. from your point of view the test will come when you have to step up performance wise .. as we frankly didn't give you much of a game .. I think Deano will do a good job for you .. you'll be organised .. and he spent long enough at Orient under Hearn to know what it's like to have to work with no money .. and with his contacts don't be surprised if he brings you in a couple of players you wouldn't normally expect to see at our level ..

And apologies in advance .. but it's £25 to get in our housing estate of a ground this season .. so start saving for the return fixture !

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:31 pm

Bernie wrote:

I don't think Gnakpa had a 'poor' game either, but he certainly wasn't that effective in some of the areas you'd want him to be.

He won a lot of headers (a strength of his) which is why Jimmy put so many goal kicks out to the right as it was a clear tactic for him to knock down to Macken / Grigg or CMs. He used his pace and power well to win or get to the ball first on occasions and I actually saw him track back and cover full back once or twice too!!

BUT, what he needs to get better at is knowing when to release the ball, do the simple thing of laying if off back to his full back or inside to the midfielder. Too many times he'd run with the ball, come up against 1 if not 2 Orient players and try and trick his way past the player(s) leading to him losing the ball too easily. He may trick his way past players on occasion but he won't do it everytime and soon players will learn how to play hm and get the ball off him. Keeping possession is as important as skinning a full back at times. It's going to be harder for him to get away with things in League One as it was in the Conference.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:11 pm

latviancheese wrote:Gnakpa needs to protect his full back

I can forgive a winger for not protecting his fullback, but only if they're outstanding going forward, and creating several chances, which he didn't. I think he will in some games, just not on Saturday. He needs time to get used to this level after being where he has been.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:21 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
latviancheese wrote:Gnakpa needs to protect his full back

I can forgive a winger for not protecting his fullback, but only if they're outstanding going forward, and creating several chances, which he didn't. I think he will in some games, just not on Saturday. He needs time to get used to this level after being where he has been.

I hope so, I remember another "Winger" Signing for us who had banged a fair few goals in the season before, he was hardly a success :D Although he did score against Shrewsbury, so all was not lost.

And yeah I agree, a wingers job first and foremost is to attack, to cause the oppositions defence problems, to get crosses in the box etc etc. When we don't have the ball, then sure they should help out, but all said and done, we have full backs, two center backs, and two pretty defensive minded midfielders, so we are relying alot on the wingers to make things happen.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:38 pm

Wingers attack......

.... unless the manager is Richard Money in which case the winger will be a centre back

Graydon loved wingers, that's why I love Graydon

Previous
Return to 2011-12 Season