Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Cheltenham Town (A) Pre-Season Friendly 26/7/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:42 pm

Cheesebag wrote:No challenge for their second goal... He walked through

I blame Matt Richards.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Re: Cheltenham Town (A) Pre-Season Friendly 26/7/11.

Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:48 pm

King Crimson wrote:
Cheesebag wrote:No challenge for their second goal... He walked through

I blame Matt Richards.

I blame the local born hero.

Deano_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:01 pm

i see most of the walsall fans on the commentary forum are criticising taundry again even though they aint even at the game :roll: he couldn't score a goal right this lad.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:02 pm

Deano_Saddler wrote:i see most of the walsall fans on the commentary forum are criticising taundry again even though they aint even at the game :roll: he couldn't score a goal right this lad.

That's because (as I said on there) that Taundry is heart and commitment. However, he has zero class, no positional sense and runs around like a mad leopard.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:04 pm

Deano_Saddler wrote:i see most of the walsall fans on the commentary forum are criticising taundry again even though they aint even at the game :roll: he couldn't score a goal right this lad.

I wouldn't take this chat seriously tbh... :lol:

Deano_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:06 pm

Saarland Saddler wrote:

That's because (as I said on there) that Taundry is heart and commitment. However, he has zero class, no positional sense and runs around like a mad leopard.

Taundry has class and has positional sense, he's proved that in the season everyone was raving about him, he's just lost his head and i blame that on poor management, ( hutchings and mullen anyone?) lets see what he can be like after a good pre season with a decent manager.

Hairy Saddlebags
UTS Regular

Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:06 pm

I'd really like to see a MAD LEOPARD on the pitch.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:07 pm

Deano_Saddler wrote:
Saarland Saddler wrote:

Taundry has class and has positional sense, he's proved that in the season everyone was raving about him, he's just lost his head and i blame that on poor management, ( hutchings and mullen anyone?) lets see what he can be like after a good pre season with a decent manager.

Incorrect.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:08 pm

Hairy Saddlebags wrote:I'd really like to see a MAD LEOPARD on the pitch.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:10 pm

Saarland Saddler wrote:
Deano_Saddler wrote:
Saarland Saddler wrote:

Incorrect.

I agree. Which season saw "everyone raving about him?"

Deano_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:13 pm

Saarland Saddler wrote:
Deano_Saddler wrote:
Saarland Saddler wrote:

Incorrect.

So it doesn't surprise you that Mark Bradley looked great under DD but shocking under CH? Manny Smith looked great under DD but shocking under CH? Those two plus taundry being young players looking to improve their game, do you think it helps them have managers like CH, being in a sqaud that they know is low on confidence. I know it isn't much of an excuse but i bet it does make it harder for them 2 develop.

Deano_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:15 pm

King Crimson wrote:
Saarland Saddler wrote:
Deano_Saddler wrote:
Saarland Saddler wrote:

Incorrect.

I agree. Which season saw "everyone raving about him?"

It was either the 1st season back in league one or the one after that. Alot of people on here were tipping taundry to be a future captain. I know he has been poor last season but i think its important for him to work with people that know what they are talking about and he now has that, lets see if he looks any better next season.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:16 pm

Losing 3-1.

Deano_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:17 pm

3-1 down

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:20 pm

Deano_Saddler wrote:
It was either the 1st season back in league one or the one after that. Alot of people on here were tipping taundry to be a future captain. I know he has been poor last season but i think its important for him to work with people that know what they are talking about and he now has that, lets see if he looks any better next season.

You just said he had 'class' though.. :?

Deano_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:26 pm

Saarland Saddler wrote:
Deano_Saddler wrote:

He has showed he has class before and im sure he can do it again. If he doesn't then get rid at the end of the season, its as simple as that. What i don't like is when people write pointless and stupid comments about him when they aint even at the game.

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:27 pm

Deano_Saddler wrote:3-1 down

Excellent. That'll mean this thread will be a succession of "We're doomed" vs "It's only preseason, don't read anything into it" style posts.

We're doomed....to wait till the real stuff starts to make any judgements!

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:29 pm

Exile wrote:

Excellent. That'll mean this thread will be a succession of "We're doomed" vs "It's only preseason, don't read anything into it" style posts.

It's the same at the game, I'm in the wait camp but some are already getting knives out for Gnapka, Taundry and Jarvis.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:30 pm

Deano_Saddler wrote:
Saarland Saddler wrote:
Deano_Saddler wrote:

He has showed he has class before and im sure he can do it again. If he doesn't then get rid at the end of the season, its as simple as that. What i don't like is when people write pointless and stupid comments about him when they aint even at the game.

I have seen Richard Taundry consistently for the last 4 years. I can say quite categorically that he is not good enough. We desperately need someone else in the centre.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:31 pm

102 Saddlers at the game according to the Cheltenham Town O/S.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:33 pm

Gewin down.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:34 pm

3-2.

I have been impressed with Paterson pre-season. Needs to bulk up though.

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:34 pm

3-2 patterson

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:40 pm

saddla
Site Addict

Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:41 pm

Finished 3-2. Just a work out for the squad players. Nothing to get worried about. We won't see that starting 11 in the league.

Deano_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:42 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
Exile wrote:

It's the same at the game, I'm in the wait camp but some are already getting knives out for Gnapka, Taundry and Jarvis.

Well that's just typical walsall fans for you, dont even give a player time to breath.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:42 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:Gewin down.

:mrgreen:

Stu
UTS Legend

Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:02 pm

Deano_Saddler wrote:So it doesn't surprise you that Mark Bradley looked great under DD but shocking under CH? Manny Smith looked great under DD but shocking under CH? Those two plus taundry being young players looking to improve their game, do you think it helps them have managers like CH, being in a sqaud that they know is low on confidence. I know it isn't much of an excuse but i bet it does make it harder for them 2 develop.

Disagree with most of that.

Bradley - Never looked great under DD in my opinion. The only time Bradley ever impressed was when we played 4-5-1 under Merson for a short while and he had licence to get forward constantly. He was just as poor for DD as he was for Mullen & Hutch in my mind.

Smith - Looked great under DD? Are you sure? Money left on 22nd Apr 2008... He only made his debut towards the end of DD's promotion season and the majority of the 07/08 season was on the bench for Smith.. It was only really under Mullen & CH that Smith became a regular. He certainly wasn't "great" under DD as he hardly played.

Taundry - Made his debut under Money in Nov 07, Money left 5 months later, if memory serves, Taundry spent most of that time playing at right back I think, but I certainly wouldn't say everyone was raving about him. The fact I can't remember his position for sure speaks volumes... He was then under Mullen & CH from that point on.

For me, Taundry just isn't there... I'll never knock the lads passion, commitment and love of Walsall FC, however for me the talent is there yet... Mind you, he reminds me of Keates at times, as he looked exactly the same when he first broke through, but he matured with age into a very good lower league player. Taundry needs to start maturing though and quickly.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:13 pm

Stu wrote:
Deano_Saddler wrote:So it doesn't surprise you that Mark Bradley looked great under DD but shocking under CH? Manny Smith looked great under DD but shocking under CH? Those two plus taundry being young players looking to improve their game, do you think it helps them have managers like CH, being in a sqaud that they know is low on confidence. I know it isn't much of an excuse but i bet it does make it harder for them 2 develop.

Disagree with most of that.

Bradley - Never looked great under DD in my opinion. The only time Bradley ever impressed was when we played 4-5-1 under Merson for a short while and he had licence to get forward constantly. He was just as poor for DD as he was for Mullen & Hutch in my mind.

Smith - Looked great under DD? Are you sure? Money left on 22nd Apr 2008... He only made his debut towards the end of DD's promotion season and the majority of the 07/08 season was on the bench for Smith.. It was only really under Mullen & CH that Smith became a regular. He certainly wasn't "great" under DD as he hardly played.

Taundry - Made his debut under Money in Nov 07, Money left 5 months later, if memory serves, Taundry spent most of that time playing at right back I think, but I certainly wouldn't say everyone was raving about him. The fact I can't remember his position for sure speaks volumes... He was then under Mullen & CH from that point on.

For me, Taundry just isn't there... I'll never knock the lads passion, commitment and love of Walsall FC, however for me the talent is there yet... Mind you, he reminds me of Keates at times, as he looked exactly the same when he first broke through, but he matured with age into a very good lower league player. Taundry needs to start maturing though and quickly.

What you on about, he never played under Merson???

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:01 pm

We were truly dire. If Cheltenham had scored 7 or 8 it wouldn't have flattered them. Only one who came out with any credit was Sadler; Gnakpa managed to look even less interested than Julian Gray, which is impressive. On that showing, it is easy to see why Beevers, Jarvis, Hurst, Peterlin and Grof were released by League One clubs; we already know about the respective merits of Taundry, Smith and Nicholls. The only time we looked any good was at the end, when our front four were Paterson, Grigg, Bowerman and Jones. Maybe it was just one of those days, but I think there will be a lot riding on Walker, Butler, Chambers and Macken this season!

PreviousNext
Return to 2011-12 Season