Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Wolverhampton Wanderers(H)Pre-Season Friendly 19.7.11

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
bangsection
Site Addict

Re: Wolverhampton Wanderers(H)Pre-Season Freindly 19.7.11

Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:18 am

Never mind 'spot the ball', look at these two Wolves fans playing 'spot the game'. And failing miserably. Possibly confused by the bright jackets of the policemen. "Mmm, fluresunt..."

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:26 am

I really enjoyed the game which surprised me for a friendly. Both teams seemed really up for it and went for each other from the off. Both teams seemed to tire for the final ten but that was to be expected.

I thought we looked really fit and sharp considering the stage of pre-season. Walker, Smith, Grigg and Macken all look a stone lighted and in great shape. I thought Grigg and Macken played really well together and far more effective than SEB and Griffiths in the first half. Fair play to the players, Deano and the coaching staff for getting the squad in such good condition.

Walker - Couldn't have done much with the two he conceeded. Kicking was poor but he can work on that between now and the season opener.

Westlake - Looked steady. Couldn't fault him.
Butler - Won pretty much everything in the air, fully committed - standard!
Smith - Generally poor I thought. Slow in recovering after the block for their first and not tight enough to squeeze the angle for their second. Without Westlake and Butler either side he would have been rinsed last night.
Sadler - Improved as the game went on. Good solid signing

Nicholls - Did he play? My concern to be honest is on this side. Is Gnapka the answer? To be honest i'm not sure. We really need a quick running the full back type winger who will stretch our game. Will Nicholls and Gnapka provide this? We will see?
Peterlin - Looked excellent throughout I thought. Neat, tidy and confident on the ball. Deano told him he had 'done enough' in the changing room after the game so hopefully we will get him signed up for the season.
Chambers - Played really well - big player for us this season. As I said when we signed him - the engine room!
Hurst - Could have been more involved but generally a good solid debut.

Grigg - Linked well with Macken. Should be aiming for 15 this season.
Macken - Linked well with Grigg. Should be aiming for 15-20 this season. What a belter of a goal!!!

Subs:

Grof - Looked decent enough.
Beevers - Defended as a full back defends for the time he was on.
Lancashire - Hope to god he starts the season rather than Smith.
Gnakpa - Sat too deep for me. Needed to get at their full backs more.
Taundry - OK - Standard Taundry.
Jarvis - Pretty quiet and ineffective.
Paterson - Wasn't really involved.
Bowerman - Wasn’t really involved.

Mal
UTS Veteran

Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:37 am

Went down at the last minute and really enjoyed the game

Goal of the Season from Jon Macken an absolute belter, if we score one better than that all season I hope I see it

Walker - Steady and could do little with the goals, great banter with the Dingle fans who applauded him at the end
Sadler - At last a left back who gives us confidence and shows flashes of 'Fox' like capability
Butler - Did the season actually end for this lad, a Walsall hero in the making if not allready
Smith - Actually an improved performance since last season, I still prefer Olly but solid very unlucky with the rebound that resulted in the first goal
Westlake - I am a big fan but definately lacks something which I just can't quite put my finger on, at fault with Nicholls for the second goal

Hurst - Busy, tenacious and gives a solid look, very different to Gray and not as skillfull but a good purchase, right footer on the the left!
Chambers - At LAST on that perfomance we have found a central midfielder that will confirm that Matt 'Left Back' Richards is consigned to history, superb
Peterlin - My MOM for his movement, energy, composure and general all round play, if he gets a contract from this he needs to maintain that level
Nicholls - Goodbye, he will be first on the released list come May 2012

Macken - Does what Macken does and looks fitter with a good pre season under his belt, what a goal!
Grigg - Close second for MOM, Played Craddock brilliantly and has such technique and a nack for scoring simple goals from difficult situations

Subs

Olly for Smith - Slotted in alongside Butler and played solidly, first choice partner for me
Gnakpa for Nicholls - Huge improvement on Alex, looks a wildcard but something different actually not afraid to take on and run with the ball, great in the air
Taundry for Chambers - As much as I like Tauns, this was a game where the gap between him and Chambers was huge, busy and lets hope he can kick on
Jarvis for Macken - Looked nervous but as he got into the game looked usefull, similar to Macken need to see more
Patterson for Hurst - Bags of skill but lightweight, will he make it I am just not sure, I hope so as he has the right attitude and is exciting to watch
Grof for Walker – Reminisant of a young Notts County lad we picked up back in 92!
Beevers for Westlake – Stronger and more dominant
Bowerman for Grigg – Not much time but created space and worked hard
Forbes for Peterlin – Last 10 mins but certainly slotted in and did not look out of place, good prospect

Great atmsophere and plenty of Banter amongst the fans, a couple of comments on there players, thank god we have Wacca he maybe 6 foot plus but Hennessay must give his defenders nightmares. Impressed with Henry, how he has improved since his Stoke days, Jarvis is quality and Miljas reminded me of Jan Molby without the weight!

Dancing Kev made his comeback to great affection from the home end, at one point after his crazy mastrurbating frenzy at the Dingles I thought he would be thrown out again but he just threw in a couple of gambols to great applause. This was met by affectionate chanting from the Dingles along the lines of 'Where's your 'special needs chap' gone' or words to that effect. :lol:

Reading Saddler
UTS Regular

Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:20 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu0FcQJe6ec[/youtube]

I hope this link works, highlights!

[embed fixed - mod]

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:41 am

Cracking goal by Macken , as far as pre- season games go encouraging stuff by all accounts.

Reading Saddler
UTS Regular

Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:30 am

Thank you for sorting the link out!!!

Great goal completely agree, the ball seemed to have an endless stream of energy!!

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:48 pm

I think the biggest positive that I can take out from the game last night was that how much better a 'passing' side we looked. No channel hoofing - but thoughtful possession football using our wingers. I also loved how when the wingers came inside, our full backs bombed on into the space. We actually ripped Wolves open a few times with that move. I really hope we continue with that philosophy - very impressed.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:55 pm

Really enjoyed last night's game and honestly don't think too many negatives could be taken from the performance against a really strong Wolves squad.

Chambers is the pick of the new signings and looks exactly the sort of midfielder we've missed for a good couple of years. Peterlin looked pretty handy in the middle of midfield with him and I certainly wouldn't be disappointed if we offered him a contract.
Sadler is a younger, fitter version of Paul Boertein and grew into the game. Gets forward well and combined well with Hurst, who again, showed quite a lot of promise.
Jarvis looked very similar to Macken, but lacking that extra bit of guile to pull defences around, whilst Gnakpa didn't really see enough of the ball to make much of an impression. Seemed surprisingly good in the air for a winger though.

The most impressive element of the performance was some of the football we played. For about 20 minutes in the first half, we played some lovely stuff.

There are a couple of creases which need ironing out - notably the players who just aren't good enough. But with Smith in charge, I think our reliance on these players may be minimal.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:13 pm

Reading Saddler wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu0FcQJe6ec[/youtube]

I hope this link works, highlights!

[embed fixed - mod]

Feed the Mack and he will score!

Exile
Jobsworth

Re: Wolverhampton Wanderers(H)Pre-Season Friendly 19.7.11

Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:48 pm

Sounds positive. Good to read some encouraging reviews too.

saddler79
UTS Regular

Re: Wolverhampton Wanderers(H)Pre-Season Friendly 19.7.11

Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:05 am

Cant believe the complete contrast with pre-season friendlies last year. Last night we looked organised and up for it. First half we were the better side against a pretty strong wolves side. Kids v kids second half and we are never going to compete with the depth of a prem side so no problems there. If we get a decent midlfielder to play alongside chambers I have a sneaky feeling we may surprise a few teams next season. (Just what is Deano's motivational secret! :) )

Previous
Return to 2011-12 Season