Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Greenock Morton (A) Pre-Season Friendly 13/07/11

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
latviancheese
Site Addict

Re: Greenock Morton (A) Pre-Season Friendly 13/07/11

Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:50 pm

Interesting reading their point of view too. They were not pleased with their Italian trialist were they :lol:

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:28 am

These pre-season friendlies are always difficult to assess. As others have commented, it was "friendly" and Morton are two weeks ahead of us in terms of preparation. They fielded virtually a full-strength team in the first half and made a lot of changes after half-time. In contrast, Deano mixed things up but it was fair to say that the second half team was stronger than the first half one.

Last season's regulars (9):-
Westlake, Butler, Smith, Taundry, Nicholls, Lancashire, Grigg, Macken all were o.k.without being outstanding. Grigg looked the best prospect out of the less experienced players. I was disappointed (but not surprised) to hear Taundry being singled out for criticism by one or two of our "fans". No-one was brilliant but no-one was poor either. Walker, although present and changed into goalkeeper's kit, did not play.

New signings (5):-
Sadler started nervously but settled down. Jarvis did not shine but it always takes longer for strikers to settle compared with defenders. Chambers made a promising début and looks like a definite plus. Hurst played wide left despite being very right-footed. He also showed promise. Gnakpa was probably the biggest plus of the night - always a threat.

New junior pros (4):-
Paterson - too often caught in possession. Bowerman - tried hard and went close on one occasion. Forde - came on late and was tidy on the ball. Jones - came on with Forde and in a strange position for him, at left-back, but he did well, though.

Trialists(3):-
Crof - good début in goal for the Hungarian. Peterlin - I'll reserve judgement but, on this showing alone, he looks no better than the succession of anonymous midfielders that we have had to suffer over the last two years. Beevers looked a good prospect at right-back. I'd like to see him against stronger opposition, though.

All in all, a pleasant evening on Clydeside. Lovely weather, friendly people but we had missed the Tall Ships Race by 24 hours!

Notes
1) No sign of the new kit. We played in last season's all-red with black trim Walsall Hospice kit - numbered but unnamed.
2) Gnakpa does not appear to like negative comments about Lu'on Tarn. He responded well to his name being chanted but, as soon as the Saddlers throng started "dissing" Luton, his face turned to a scowl and he did not respond to friendly chants for the rest of the evening. He clearly still has a soft spot for his last club. I have to say that I don't see why we should be bothered about Lu'on, anyway. Let's face it, they've been more than punished for their arrogance at Bescot a few years ago, haven't they? :mrgreen:

UTS Legend

Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:55 am

morton123 wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:Difficult to assess players or performance as it was like a Sunday afternoon kick about

I thought we looked sharper second half though with Gnakpa and Chambers on

Proper football ground, warm welcome, and a sunny evening as well

There were a few surprised looks when a coach load of Walsall fans turned up :D

UTS

Your bus drove past me a couple of miles from 'Cappielow' (stadium has hardly changed in 30-40 years, and all the better for it I think - used to have a shocking playing surface, but is now considered one of the best in the country) - well done for making the trip!

Maybe 9 of our likely starting 11 for the season played the first half tonight... several new players in there. Only a few familiar faces in the second half, some fringe players, trialists and under-19's... including a 15 year old that Celtic have already offered to buy from us.

Gnakpa looked the most dangerous player on the park... set up one and scored the other I believe. He skinned our trialist full-back a couple of times... and caught out our trialist keeper for the second goal, shocking keeping, but clever to take the speculative shot.

It was a very 'friendly' friendly... hope you enjoyed your trip. Will be looking out for your results in the coming season... good luck!

Very friendly indeed. I was offered (and I accepted, of course) a beer by a Morton fan on the train back into Glasgow. Had a good chat.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:41 am

Pedagogue wrote:He responded well to his name being chanted but, as soon as the Saddlers throng started "dissing" Luton, his face turned to a scowl and he did not respond to friendly chants for the rest of the evening. He clearly still has a soft spot for his last club. I have to say that I don't see why we should be bothered about Lu'on, anyway. Let's face it, they've been more than punished for their arrogance at Bescot a few years ago, haven't they? :mrgreen:

Care to elaborate on this Luton "dissing"? What was the actual chant used?

I'm baffled that Saddlers have travelled so far away to sing about a team with whom we have no rivalry of note, nor even play in our division. Embarrassing.

UTS Legend

Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:46 am

CG's first

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8trmH4yy91w[/youtube]

Attendance 608, by the way.

Duke
Site Addict

Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:48 am

Pedagogue wrote:These pre-season friendlies are always difficult to assess. As others have commented, it was "friendly" and Morton are two weeks ahead of us in terms of preparation. They fielded virtually a full-strength team in the first half and made a lot of changes after half-time. In contrast, Deano mixed things up but it was fair to say that the second half team was stronger than the first half one.

Last season's regulars (9):-
Westlake, Butler, Smith, Taundry, Nicholls, Lancashire, Grigg, Macken all were o.k.without being outstanding. Grigg looked the best prospect out of the less experienced players. I was disappointed (but not surprised) to hear Taundry being singled out for criticism by one or two of our "fans". No-one was brilliant but no-one was poor either. Walker, although present and changed into goalkeeper's kit, did not play.

New signings (5):-
Sadler started nervously but settled down. Jarvis did not shine but it always takes longer for strikers to settle compared with defenders. Chambers made a promising début and looks like a definite plus. Hurst played wide left despite being very right-footed. He also showed promise. Gnakpa was probably the biggest plus of the night - always a threat.

New junior pros (4):-
Paterson - too often caught in possession. Bowerman - tried hard and went close on one occasion. Forde - came on late and was tidy on the ball. Jones - came on with Forde and in a strange position for him, at left-back, but he did well, though.

Trialists(3):-
Crof - good début in goal for the Hungarian. Peterlin - I'll reserve judgement but, on this showing alone, he looks no better than the succession of anonymous midfielders that we have had to suffer over the last two years. Beevers looked a good prospect at right-back. I'd like to see him against stronger opposition, though.

All in all, a pleasant evening on Clydeside. Lovely weather, friendly people but we had missed the Tall Ships Race by 24 hours!

Notes
1) No sign of the new kit. We played in last season's all-red with black trim Walsall Hospice kit - numbered but unnamed.
2) Gnakpa does not appear to like negative comments about Lu'on Tarn. He responded well to his name being chanted but, as soon as the Saddlers throng started "dissing" Luton, his face turned to a scowl and he did not respond to friendly chants for the rest of the evening. He clearly still has a soft spot for his last club. I have to say that I don't see why we should be bothered about Lu'on, anyway. Let's face it, they've been more than punished for their arrogance at Bescot a few years ago, haven't they? :mrgreen:

Thanks for that report great stuff

fensaddler
UTS Veteran

Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:37 am

4143 wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:He responded well to his name being chanted but, as soon as the Saddlers throng started "dissing" Luton, his face turned to a scowl and he did not respond to friendly chants for the rest of the evening. He clearly still has a soft spot for his last club. I have to say that I don't see why we should be bothered about Lu'on, anyway. Let's face it, they've been more than punished for their arrogance at Bescot a few years ago, haven't they? :mrgreen:

I'm baffled that Saddlers have travelled so far away to sing about a team with whom we have no rivalry of note, nor even play in our division. Embarrassing.

No, I don't understand either. We've no beef or rivalry with Luton, we share a recent manager (who is still respected amongst fans, I hope, given his achievements), and the towns are remarkably similar in many ways. And if Claude is anything like the player he looks like he might be, a little more respect and warmth might be in order. He clearly has good reason to respect his former club.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:49 am

Pedagogue wrote:Jarvis did not shine but it always takes longer for strikers to settle compared with defenders

No always - just to be a pedant I'd like to remind you of one Jorge Manuel Vasconcelos Leitão. :D

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:05 pm

Interesting that one of their fans seems to suggest that we kept the ball pretty well. Always a good sign for a first pre-season friendly. We never looked capable of doing that under Hutchings.

Surrey Saddler
Glitterati

Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:35 pm

Guest wrote:CG's first

Why did not the keeper save that....................I could

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:30 pm

4143 wrote:

'upthesadliars' was, and will always remain, unforgivable. That's where it started. :wink:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:57 pm

Exile wrote:
4143 wrote:

'upthesadliars' was, and will always remain, unforgivable. That's where it started. :wink:

Unforgiveable? It was genius. :D

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:00 pm

Are my eyes deceiving me? A player in a Walsall shirt shooting on sight. We might have ourselves a goalscorer if we've got someone prepared to have a shot from more than 6 yards out. Matt Richards realised this was possible and scored a few from it.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:04 am

Who was playing in goal? Uncle Albert?

Dont shoot dont score though.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:06 am

Pedagogue wrote:2) Gnakpa does not appear to like negative comments about Lu'on Tarn. He responded well to his name being chanted but, as soon as the Saddlers throng started "dissing" Luton, his face turned to a scowl and he did not respond to friendly chants for the rest of the evening. He clearly still has a soft spot for his last club. I have to say that I don't see why we should be bothered about Lu'on, anyway. Let's face it, they've been more than punished for their arrogance at Bescot a few years ago, haven't they? :mrgreen:

So the thickos can afford to travel to Scotland. They should have stayed there.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:39 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Exile wrote:
4143 wrote:

Unforgiveable? It was genius. :D

None of you would've seen it again had I not posted the archive a few months back.

This thread is now about how good I am. :mrgreen:

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:34 pm

it was a nice day out :D

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:49 pm

brummie saddler wrote:It was a nice day out :D

How would you know .. viewing everything through an alcoholic haze?! :mrgreen:

Wait until those pictures of you and Connor's sister are published on facebook! :D

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:46 am

Pedagogue wrote:

Wait until those pictures of you and Connor's sister are published on facebook! :D

everytime i had a notification saying "tagged a photo of you" my heart stopped for a second, o well my journey home seemed like half an hour thanks to the lovley company :)

Whitters
Site Addict

Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:29 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:

Are my eyes deceiving me? A player in a Walsall shirt shooting on sight. We might have ourselves a goalscorer if we've got someone prepared to have a shot from more than 6 yards out. Matt Richards realised this was possible and scored a few from it.

Low percentage shot - the manager will knock that out of him toot-sweet....

dajw_my_son
UTS Regular

Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:14 pm

brummie saddler wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:

everytime i had a notification saying "tagged a photo of you" my heart stopped for a second, o well my journey home seemed like half an hour thanks to the lovley company :)

One song you never sang last week was 'Brimfull of Asha' by Cornershop.......everyone needs a bosom for a pillow!

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:59 pm

dajw_my_son wrote:
brummie saddler wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:

One song you never sang last week was 'Brimfull of Asha' by Cornershop.......everyone needs a bosom for a pillow!

i was in a different planet when i discovered "the pair" :)

Previous
Return to 2011-12 Season