Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Colchester United (H) League 1 Tuesday 27/3/12 Re Arranged .

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
latviancheese
Site Addict

Re: Colchester United (H) League 1 Tuesday 27/3/12 Re Arrang

Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:34 pm

Lovely Mr Graham Westley is in the cack again i see, good. Cretinous idiot.

Dropping faster than a beery turd.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:35 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Elsewhere (as there's nothing happening in Walsall :wink: )

Sloppies against Port Fail, match abandoned after 64 minutes for safety reasons :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Safety reasons??? There can't be more than 3 men and a dog there, surely.......

Yowm back! you've been missing a blinder!

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:36 pm

Ground evacuated and 2 fire engines there.

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:41 pm

Full time 3-1 :D

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:42 pm

Great result, onwards and upwards. :D :D :D

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:42 pm

3-1 final.

Yay! Best team in the World!! :D

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:45 pm

Out of the bottom 4, and what sounds to be a much better performance than on Saturday. Well done the lads.

UTS :) .

Edit - only one defeat in the last 10 league games [W4 D5 L1]. Play off form...ish.
Last edited by BathSaddler on Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:46 pm

Exile wrote:Poxy Leyton 1-0 up. :evil:

Bloomin Oldham, let us down big time!!!

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Need to follow up this with 3 points against Rochdale now.

bangsection
Site Addict

Sounds like a cracking game and a really influential performance by the boy Ledesma.

I await reports with anticipation bordering on full-on relish.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:52 pm

bangsection wrote:Sounds like a cracking game and a really influential performance by the boy Ledesma.

I await reports with anticipation bordering on full-on relish.

Reporting live from the Matthew Fryatt hotel.

We played great. :D

More later after some beer.

walsallforprem
UTS Regular

Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:53 pm

Cracking win!! Lets hope that we take a good following to Rochdale on Saturday to spur the lads on!
The next two games are crucial if we hope to survive.

I just saw that Jordan Cook has scored a couple against MK tonight aswell.

kevin
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:58 pm

Sadsfan wrote:Ground evacuated and 2 fire engines there.

You're on about Shrewsbury :D ..............

Shrewsbury Town's League Two home game with Port Vale was abandoned after 64 minutes due to a fire in the East Stand generator room at the Greenhous Meadow.
Promotion-chasing Town were leading 1-0 thanks to a well-taken 50th minute strike from top scorer James Collins.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:04 pm

latviancheese wrote:Lovely Mr Graham Westley is in the guano again i see, good. Cretinous idiot.

Brentford's only away league win since September was against Rochdale. Chortle. As it happens, Preston have still got to play Sheff Wed, Mk Dons, Charlton, Stevenage and Huddersfield. I'd love it if we relegated them!

I expect much lauding of Ledesma - it would be wonderful if this performance is the benchmark, not the high point, of his season.

SWS1

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:16 pm

Oh, lovely! Good night's kip coming up! (Always sleep better after a Saddlers' win).
Well done, the lads. And one defeat in 10, well, that's fantastic form despite all the drawn games... :D
EXCELSIOR! :D

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:18 pm

Emmanuel Ledesma is absolute class and is the most technically gifted player I have seen in the last ten years. Absolutely mental good.

The people who said we shouldn't have signed are incredibly wrong. Tonight he showed he CAN play upfront. What impressed me most was that his work rate was superb as well.

In short, we were awful for the first 20 minutes but after that we grew into the game and Ledesma's free kick was superb.

The second half - we looked like a different team. didn't hoof it, we played through midfield and looked brilliant. But, we were feeding off the confidence Ledesma instilled with his performance - I think that was so important.

We need that sort of player to destroy the opposition, but most importantly he got the fans singing and on the edge of their seats.

As soon as we confirm survival we should sign him on a two year deal.

Magic.

bangsection
Site Addict

Colchester United (H) League 1 Tuesday 27/3/12 Re Arranged .

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:21 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:
latviancheese wrote:Lovely Mr Graham Westley is in the guano again i see, good. Cretinous idiot.

Brentford's only away league win since September was against Rochdale. Chortle. As it happens, Preston have still got to play Sheff Wed, Mk Dons, Charlton, Stevenage and Huddersfield. I'd love it if we relegated them!

I expect much lauding of Ledesma - it would be wonderful if this performance is the benchmark, not the high point, of his season.

The stats from the Preston game make hugely encouraging reading. They had one shot on target all night - a penalty!

I'm far too handsome and modest to dig out my post pegging midtable Preston as relegation candidates just after they appointed Westley but I'm hugely encouraged by the way their season's gone down the toilet - make no mistake, Preston are right in the mix. After our win tonight and superior goal difference you're looking at a nine or ten point swing from the bottom three - none of whom are in that kind of form. That means we can very cautiously start looking at perming one from seven for the final berth. I like those odds.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:26 pm

bangsection wrote:

The stats from the Preston game make hugely encouraging reading. They had one shot on target all night - a penalty!

I'm far too handsome and modest to dig out my post pegging midtable Preston as relegation candidates just after they appointed Westley but I'm hugely encouraged by the way their season's gone down the toilet - make no mistake, Preston are right in the mix. After our win tonight and superior goal difference you're looking at a nine or ten point swing from the bottom three - none of whom are in that kind of form. That means we can very cautiously start looking at perming one from seven for the final berth. I like those odds.

Respect to the PNE fans who had Westley pegged from day one. Now their bile has built to volcanic levels:
http://www.pne-online.net/forum/showthr ... ost1470304

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:27 pm

bangsection wrote:

Can you text me rest of that post, I didnt get past the bit in red and am currently cleaning my sides up off the floor :D

Fliptastic result, and nice to see PNEs determination to join the relegation scrap. TBH they are the worst time i have seen all season, apart from us a couple of times. UTS :D

IHTC.
Site Addict

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:38 pm

Special mention for Manny Smith, would have be my M.o.M if it wasnt for Ledesma #immense

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:40 pm

Was like watching Brazil at times - said to the bloke next to me that Smith shouldn't have started Ledesma before kickoff. Shows why i'm shite at footie manager.

Oh, Saddler would have been m.o.m in any normal game, he was fab.

deanonev69
Glitterati

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:43 pm

latviancheese wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:Attendance: 3,331. Not as bad as it could have been, and I would imagine very few away fans there tonight.

Really? I didn't think there were that many.

Good performance tonight: didn't start too well but after that, looked really good coming forward with Flo and Ledesma linking up well. Could have turned the screw when went three up but didn't push on.

Ledesma was always going to get all the plaudits but there were solid performances all round: a good ol' Worsul team performance.

UTS!

IHTC.
Site Addict

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:43 pm

boringteacher wrote:Was like watching Brazil at times - said to the bloke next to me that Smith shouldn't have started Ledesma before kickoff. Shows why i'm guano at footie manager.

Oh, Saddler would have been m.o.m in any normal game, he was fab.

Apart from the 2 passes that somehow nearly went backwards and into row z :lol:

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:45 pm

I just can't see how a team can go from so bad in the first 20 mins to so good in the rest we flattened them we could and should of had 6 tonight.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:48 pm

bleed_red_n_white wrote:I just can't see how a team can go from so bad in the first 20 mins to so good in the rest we flattened them we could and should of had 6 tonight.

Quite simple - we actually started passing and moving.

I think they fed off the confidence Ledesma brought to the team.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:50 pm

Saarland Saddler wrote:
bleed_red_n_white wrote:I just can't see how a team can go from so bad in the first 20 mins to so good in the rest we flattened them we could and should of had 6 tonight.

Quite simple - we actually started passing and moving.

I think they fed off the confidence Ledesma brought to the team.

Yes, even Hurst took the pee towards the end :D

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:51 pm

It was great to see Ladesma and Flo link up they really are a cut above this league calm on the ball even while under pressure

kevin
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:54 pm

bangsection wrote:Sounds like a cracking game and a really influential performance by the boy Ledesma.

♫ ♫

La La La............Led-es-ma

La La La............Led-es-ma ♫ ♫
Last edited by kevin on Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:55 pm

First half an hour we were absolutely rubbish, and Manny Smith was almost keeping us in the game single handedly given that the central midfield were appalling and were giving our back four very little protection. Still took a worldy goal to give them the lead though, which begs the question: Why is every goal we concede lately either an absolute pearler, or a deflection? Our hoofball tactics weren't working (surprise surprise) and Sadler was having a mare with his every touch finding the middle of the family stand. Hurst was coming inside to try and influence the game and was probably the pick of the midfielders at that point. Then Sadler played a one two with Macken to go through one on one which their keeper saved, and that seemed to spark us into life. Manny then hit the underside of the bar with a header from a corner and we started to threaten.

Ledesma's free kick was Richards-esque and got us on par. We weren't exactly playing well and looked like a poor game between two poor teams, a draw looking likely. Then Macken was replaced with Bowerman and it completely changed the game. Three minutes later Sadler made up for his earlier miss and calamitous first half hour by netting a very well taken goal, and somehow we went into half time infront when it looked thoroughly unlikely for the first 43 minutes.

Second half we were brilliant! With Macken gone Ledesma came into his own and everything we did good came through him. Mantom and Cuvelier became more influential, Hurst and Nicholls attacked from wide and we looked really dangerous. However, the biggest danger was that we'd get complacent and we nearly did. Ledesma picked the ball up in the corner with acres of room, waited to be tackled so he could beat a man, didn't beat him and within fifteen seconds Sadler was clearing off the line down the other end.

We needed a third goal and it came from a brilliant header from Bowerman. The cross from Ledesma was slightly high and behind him, nobody should underestimate just how difficult a chance that was but he took it superbly, and at that point it was game over. The party tricks came out and we played with flair and confidence and the players (and fans) seemed to be really enjoying themselves. Ledesma came off with four minutes to go and received the standing ovation he deserved as well as the MOTM vote. It was the popular choice, but based on the fact he did precisely bugger all for the first 38 minutes, and Manny was class throughout, I think I'd have given it to him.

If we play like that all season there is no chance in hell we'll go down. Lets hope we carry this on into Rochdale on Saturday. Cracking result, thoroughly enjoyable second half. UTS!!
Last edited by priestley_saddler on Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:57 pm

ACE AS fudge.

PreviousNext
Return to 2011-12 Season