Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Huddersfield Town (A) League 1 Saturday 5/11/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
bangsection
Site Addict

Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:51 am

Never mind all that, we want recommended pubs/dining establishments/sites of historical interest in the Huddersfield area please, Acetripper.

Mal
UTS Veteran

Re: Huddersfield Town (A) League 1 Saturday 5/11/11.

Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:31 am

All set up for a massive defeat which means I am going to predict a win! :wink:

Acetripper

Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:50 pm

Right then!...Pubs!

Huddersfield has plenty of different pubs that cater for all tastes. There are two Real Ale pubs either side of Huddersfield Railway Station, 'The Head of Steam' (to the right as you exit the station) and ''The Kings Head (to the left - look out for the Jimi Hendrix sign) both have a superb range of beers. The H of S has doormen and I don't think football colours are allowed but the Kings Head is pretty easy! Across the square outside the station and left down John William St you'll find another Real Palace called 'The Sportsman'. It does great home made wholesome food like Yorkshire pubs with sausage and gravy and pies etc. To my knowledge all these three are away fan friendly.

About half a mile over the other side of town there's loads of 'Lager Sheds' that cater for the University crowd and tend to be full of students and nice looking girls, yes even on Saturday launch times. Most of the Town Centre pubs are friendly enough as long as you don't create a fuss or take the piss too much. As for 'home pubs', a good guide is avoid those with Coppers outside. Up near the Stadium is a fairly new Marstons pub called The Yorkshire Rose. It's a family eating type place but serves some decent beers. I think they''re careful who the let in on match days. On Gasworks St (on the way to the Stadium from town) you'll find The Gas Club. They charge to go in but the drinks and food are very cheap. It's a very basic place but away fans seem to like it, as do home devotees. Up at the Stadium and behind the FM Stand (opposite end to the Away (Pink Link) Stand there's 'The Rope Walk'. Another family eating pub with screens every for live matches and is very away fan friendly. The only problem is the queuing arrangement for the bar and it can take ages to get served. If you want a seat get in there early too.

That's about it folks, there are dozens more and as long as you're friendly yourselves, you shouldn't encounter any problems! Have great time apart from the game....etc. etc :lol:

tinned
Site Addict

Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:15 pm

Acetripper wrote:Actually I thought I was being rather brave because at 4.55pm on Saturday I could have egg on my face big style if it goes tits up for us!

Fear not! We used all our eggs on the PNE fan who came on a few weeks ago prediciting cricket scores and even we should have to pay for the privilege of his great team playing at our shithole :mrgreen:

Acetripper

Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:43 pm

Nowt wrong with a bit of friendly banter is there mate? Should be plenty in the pubs and bars tomorrow! How many do you think will travel up? Most away fans say it's a pretty decent away day experience at Huddersfield so the more the merrier. In fact The Galpharm's a little bit dead when there's only few away fans. A vocal away following gets our crowd going too! :wink:

bangsection
Site Addict

Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:06 pm

Cheers for the pub advice, Ace. Us Walsall fans are a cerebral lot so can you provide a list of cultural highlights? Art, literature, architecture - that kind of thing. Is the statue of Harold Wilson still outside the train station? He would look nice with a Walsall scarf!

Acetripper

Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:53 pm

Cultural hightlights? In Huddersfield? Hmmm...

There's an Art Gallery and few little craft type shops! To be honest, although I've always followed Huddersfield Town FC I've actually lived in Leeds most of my life so know very little about Huddersfield itself. Leeds is wash with interesting stuff but all I know is the Huddersfield Alternative Music Festival is bloody fantastic. I'm sure 'stuff' happens though! It must do!

Just thought, you could visit Ivanhoes Club on the Manchester Road (which is now an empty shell). It's where The Sex Pistols played their last gig in the UK before Sid's death and their break-up! :wink:

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:41 pm

Acetripper wrote:Nowt wrong with a bit of friendly banter is there mate? Should be plenty in the pubs and bars tomorrow! How many do you think will travel up? Most away fans say it's a pretty decent away day experience at Huddersfield so the more the merrier. In fact The Galpharm's a little bit dead when there's only few away fans. A vocal away following gets our crowd going too! :wink:

Hmm...not many pal, around 200 I'm guessing.

Gutted I can't go myself, love the look of the Mac.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:12 pm

Always had a friendly and enjoyable day at Uddersfield, despite nearly always losing! Still not recovered from being 2-0 down, then 3-2 up and finally losing 4-3 after two injury time goals a couple of years ago! If by some miracle we can get in front and frustrate them, one thing I have noticed is that their fans get on the teams backs pretty quickly, even quicker than ours in fact :shock:

Acetripper

Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:37 pm

Every team we play at home tries to frustrate us by chasing everything and getting stuck in. Have you got a player who can produce that extra bit of magic to really make us have it? :D

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:43 pm

No, we're much more subtle than that.

longdogs
UTS Legend

Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:45 pm

Acetripper wrote:Have you got a player who can produce that extra bit of magic to really make us have it? :D

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

No.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:48 pm

Acetripper wrote:I'm sorry mate, I seem to have offended you, that certainly wasn't my intention. I was actual just saying what I feel about our team - just my little old view point!
But since you ask -

1) Do you feel the need to prove yourselves with posts rather than promotions? - No promotion would be much better than a war of words with Walsall fans! :wink:

2) If so, why to supporters of a team who don't have a 'cat in Hell's chance' of beating yours? - Again, I was merely offering an opinion! Actually I thought I was being rather brave because at 4.55pm on Saturday I could have egg on my face big style if it goes fools up for us!

Take it easy mate!

I think it wise to inform you that we have a goalkeeper between the posts that can only be beaten by shots from girls, miss kicks & 1mph trickles, here is a wonder kid with a great future in warehousing, whilst playing for our reserves quite recently
he only let in 6 goals against the mighty Hendesford Town! And wait there's more... If our manager sees fit to play our Barcelona type forward line of Nicholls/Grigg/Paterson..then YOU are in for a right tonking..of laughter that is! :)
Hope you have a scoreboard that will take double figures! (I bet at least the Galpharm has one! In-joke my friend).
Hope our away support can drown out that bloomin drum...cus one day he will get it shoved somwhere painful!

AceT

kshammer
Site Addict

Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:52 pm

Acetripper wrote:Every team we play at home tries to frustrate us by chasing everything and getting stuck in. Have you got a player who can produce that extra bit of magic to really make us have it? :D

Yes... just watch out for a guy named Ryan Jarvis. If he comes on you're for it.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:53 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:Always had a friendly and enjoyable day at Uddersfield, despite nearly always losing! Still not recovered from being 2-0 down, then 3-2 up and finally losing 4-3 after two injury time goals a couple of years ago! If by some miracle we can get in front and frustrate them, one thing I have noticed is that their fans get on the teams backs pretty quickly, even quicker than ours in fact :shock:

One of the most enjoyable games I have watched for many years Belgian..but we was robbed, where did the Ref find that extra five minutes that enabled uddersfield to get a winner? Was he on the same payroll as Fergies well paid 'men in black'?

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:53 pm

kshammer wrote:
Acetripper wrote:Every team we play at home tries to frustrate us by chasing everything and getting stuck in. Have you got a player who can produce that extra bit of magic to really make us have it? :D

Yes... just watch out for a guy named Ryan Jarvis. If he comes on you're for it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

longdogs
UTS Legend

Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:39 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:he only let in 6 goals against the mighty Hendesford Town!

Wrong keeper MOG, that wasn't David Grof.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:47 pm

kshammer wrote:

:lol:

Acetripper

Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:49 pm

Ryan Jarvis?

Okay, I'll look out for him! :D

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:51 pm

longdogs wrote:

But will that keeper be on the bench???

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:51 pm

longdogs wrote:

Yow sure mate? Thought Grof was in goal.....

longdogs
UTS Legend

Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:53 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
longdogs wrote:

Yep, youth team keeper Liam Maher. See Pedagogue's match report - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=38619

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:54 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
longdogs wrote:

It was Maher (sp?) between the sticks you old fart. :wink:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:54 pm

Acetripper wrote:Ryan Jarvis?

Just look out for the walking frame, slippers, glasses etc...... :?

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:55 pm

Darth Vader wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:
longdogs wrote:

It was Maher (sp?) between the sticks you old fart. :wink:

Ta lads, it's an age thing ya know! :lol: :lol: :lol:

bangsection
Site Addict

Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:58 pm

Acetripper wrote:
To be honest, although I've always followed Huddersfield Town FC I've actually lived in Leeds most of my life.

Glory hunter.

:wink: :mrgreen:

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Re: Re: Huddersfield Town (A) League 1 Saturday 5/11/11.

Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:04 pm

bangsection wrote:
Acetripper wrote:
To be honest, although I've always followed Huddersfield Town FC I've actually lived in Leeds most of my life.

Glory hunter.

:wink: :mrgreen:

Better than Norman Hunter.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:06 pm

Fear the worst, hope for the best.

Keep the faith and none of the end of the world bullshit please if form comes true.

kshammer
Site Addict

Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:56 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
Acetripper wrote:Ryan Jarvis?

Just look out for the walking frame, slippers, glasses etc...... :?

And look out for someone saying "I scored against Liverpool once... honest". He'll probably have one touch that will rattle the crossbar aswell.

Watch him score now :D

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
belgiansaddler wrote:Always had a friendly and enjoyable day at Uddersfield, despite nearly always losing! Still not recovered from being 2-0 down, then 3-2 up and finally losing 4-3 after two injury time goals a couple of years ago! If by some miracle we can get in front and frustrate them, one thing I have noticed is that their fans get on the teams backs pretty quickly, even quicker than ours in fact :shock:

One of the most enjoyable games I have watched for many years Belgian..but we was robbed, where did the Ref find that extra five minutes that enabled uddersfield to get a winner? Was he on the same payroll as Fergies well paid 'men in black'?

Likewise - a game of ups and downs, twists and turns. Took a photo of the scoreboard when we were 3-2 up (they had a bright one that showed the score in big lights for all to see! :wink: ) and quickly deleted it of my phone as I walked out at the end!! :lol:

Looking forward to tomorrow's game, in some sort of sado masachistic way!

PreviousNext
Return to 2011-12 Season