Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Oliver Hewitt - aka Jolysaddler

Reaction to the biggest events in Walsall FC's recent history. This section also houses the tributes paid to Jolysaddler.
Pelsall_Saddler

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:14 pm

I never had the pleasure of meeting him, but reading everybody's comments makes you want to cry.

R.I.P Oli

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:17 pm

Pedro wrote:I'll join you guys tomorrow for a drink in his memory and put any money towards a brick, or maybe something else related to Walsall F.C like sponsering a match or the match ball

Great idea Pedro. With the money coming in we can do a lot better than just a brick. We should sponsor a match or something as well.

Stonnall_Saddler

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:18 pm

20 quid right here from me

ucow

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:21 pm

i am not afraid to say that i have shead a few tears just reading this board tonight. as i said earlier i was devestated at work when phil contacted me to tell me the news.

joly was a top bloke who i am happy to have classed as a friend from football. he always had a smile on his face and looked so fit and healthy.

i wil be braking my no drinking for lent tonight for a toast to the big man it wil be so wiered on saturday to look over to phil and not see joly sitting there

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:25 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Pedro wrote:I'll join you guys tomorrow for a drink in his memory and put any money towards a brick, or maybe something else related to Walsall F.C like sponsering a match or the match ball

Great idea Pedro. With the money coming in we can do a lot better than just a brick. We should sponsor a match or something as well.

Rich mentioned earlier as well that we could renew his season ticket and keep his seat for him. We could certainly do this also.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:25 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:

A brick was just the first thing that came into my head, whatever it takes to give the bloke a good send off.

WS7 Saddler

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:27 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:

i agree with Pedro, fantastic idea, I will contribute towards it.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:30 pm

cheesebag wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

A brick was just the first thing that came into my head, whatever it takes to give the bloke a good send off.

It's a great idea cheesebob and we should definitely have that as well. He's such a popular guy as proven on here that we can afford a something else as well.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Probably best to give one of his close friends/family time to think about the best tribute - but tomorrows get together is certainly a good place to have a whip round whilst we are all together. In time I'm sure something fitting will be arranged. This board has shown what a great spirit it has despite being a bunch of people on computers chatting away.

Joe90
Glitterati

A brick would be permanent though, although I love the idea of a match.
How about a MOM award? Then we can actually pick a player who deserves it (if any do) rather than just a random name from the team sheet.

Pedro
UTS Legend

Maybe like Jorge 14 say's we should all meet in the Saddlers club on Saturday and drink to Jolly for those who maybe not be able to make Friday night

Seasontickets is a good idea , or maybe Sponsering his fav players kit for next season

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:31 pm

Joe90 wrote:A brick would be permanent though, although I love the idea of a match.
How about a MOM award? Then we can actually pick a player who deserves it (if any do) rather than just a random name from the team sheet.

Just as long as we don't have to text in for it.

ucow

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:34 pm

forgot to say count me in for any contribution to a memorial to joly. i cannot make it tomorrow night as i am out with my band but i will be in the saddlers club on saturday which is looking as if it could turn out to be a very emotional day for the uts community in their

Darlosaddler

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:34 pm

count me in for a collection.

in the time i have known oli he has been like a big brother to me and he deserves
the best send off anyone can ask for.

R.I.P mate

dingle till i die

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:36 pm

im sure someone could contact walsall fc and try and arrange a friendly with all proceeds going to joly saddlers family.maybe against a midlands X1.100% sure the players would agree to this and maybe merson with his contacts in the game too get some good players together

ucow

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:41 pm

at times like these my mom always says "god takes the good ones young" this is certainly the case today

merse-iah's disciple

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:43 pm

I've been sitting next to Oli for the last season and a half,an absolutely amazing guy, treated everyone as if they were his best mate.

As soon as Rich got on the phone to me to tell me the sad news i have been in a state of utter confusion and shock.

I can'rt make it back for the Saturday game but will be wishing him all the best.

Oli - you are a legend son.

All the best, Avnish

dave_56

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:47 pm

I got to know olly quite well over the past couple of years. He played in last years Rival's Tournament and was looking forward to this years. When the time comes round to it I'm sure the players of all the other clubs will want to show some sort of respect to him in some way. With Asps permission we may even consider renaming the tournament in Ollie's memory.

I was supposed to be at Work on Saturday and would miss the Bradford game, but in view of what's happened I'll be looking to finish early so I can be at the game to join in anything being done in Ollie's honour.

RIP Olly.

toffo
UTS Regular

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:58 pm

I was originally not going to the game on saturday but will now try to make it and a have a drink in memory to Joly.

Is it just my computer but this thread is not appearing on the home page of UTS. The only reason i mention it is that i am sure all saddlers would want to express their sadness and condolances but some might not see the thread if they do not access the site from the message board.

jeffsmate
UTS Veteran

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:03 pm

never met the guy, but had some good banter with him on this site, my thoughts are with his family tonight. r.i.p. :(

Joe90
Glitterati

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:05 pm

toffo wrote:I was originally not going to the game on saturday but will now try to make it and a have a drink in memory to Joly.

Is it just my computer but this thread is not appearing on the home page of UTS. The only reason i mention it is that i am sure all saddlers would want to express their sadness and condolances but some might not see the thread if they do not access the site from the message board.

Because it's an announcement, not a normal post.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:11 pm

Like the last message, never met him or spoke to him but recognise him from matches, and we had good banter on here too, particularly over our user name! Can't believe it really, makes you realise how fragile life is and we should cherish and not waste any moment of it. My thoughts and prayers are with his family. Hope to be there on Saturday, it would be great if there was something done to acknowledge him (not sure if this has already been sorted or something agreed as I haven't read all posts)

R.I.P

WSOne
UTS Regular

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:20 pm

RIP

railwayender

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

what can i say that hasnt already been said. i didnt know oli, but after reading this i wished id met him he sounds a great bloke. my condolences to all his family and friends.
cant make sats game but will be thinking of you all come 3 o'clock.

The Buck

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:41 pm

Unbelievable news.

Didn't know Oli, but it's so sad to hear of a lad so young passing away.

I'll be thinking of him on Saturday

Pelsall_Saddler

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:44 pm

I wish I had met the bloke. I wil definately be in the Saddlers Club before the match on Saturday, in memory of who is a credit to Walsall Football Club.

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:53 pm

That's just rotten. A great member of the online community was Joly, and I'll miss him. Feel sorry for his family, and the friends who knew him much better than me.

W.F.C TIL I DIE

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:57 pm

R.I.P Joly. never met him but he seemed like a decent man. my thoughts are with jolys family.

Duke Wayne

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:32 pm

DAVEDEAN wrote:I hope the club are informed of this tragic news and arrange a tribute at one of our home games so we can all pay our repects to a super saddler
and a supporter we can all be proud of

I 100% agree it would be really nice if we did i feel for his family am wish them all the best.

Duke Wayne

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:33 pm

DAVEDEAN wrote:I hope the club are informed of this tragic news and arrange a tribute at one of our home games so we can all pay our repects to a super saddler
and a supporter we can all be proud of

I 100% agree it would be really nice if we did

PreviousNext
Return to You Said That Then