Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Oliver Hewitt - aka Jolysaddler

Reaction to the biggest events in Walsall FC's recent history. This section also houses the tributes paid to Jolysaddler.
canadiansaddler
UTS Legend

Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:50 pm

Never Met Oli but our thoughts go out to all Friends and Family

RIP

saddlove

Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:00 pm

rest in peace

Surrey Saddler
Glitterati

Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:56 pm

Didn't really know Joly but the news is nevertheless dreadfully bleak. My condolences to his family. Joly, rest in peace.

nitrousoxide

r.i.p joly

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:18 pm

didnt know joly well just off here but seemed a unique funny a respected guy. all my truest and deepest condolanicies to the hewitt family. one of our family has gone. Now c,mon lads win on saturday not just for the club an relegation but for ollie too. R.I.P JOLY ALWAYS IN OUR HEARTS AND NEVER FORGOTTEN

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:51 pm

I don't know what to say. I only knew him to say hello to, but what sense or reason is there to it??? RIP mate, god bless you, and god bless the loved ones you've left behind.

Saddler Jim
UTS Regular

Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:13 am

On the UTS night out tonight,we all toasted his name,and gave him a round of applause,very emotional indeed.

saddlersis

Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:49 pm

god bless my beautiful brother x always my man of the match x

Saddler4Life
UTS Regular

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:29 pm

I am very saddened by this news, even though i didnt know him that well mainly through the message boards and i av spoke 2 him a few times at away games!
You will be missed sorely mate!
RIP JOLYSADDLER AKA OLLIE!

Jolisaddlers Dad

Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:27 pm

I have no idea if this will get onto the correct page, I don't have Oliver here to show me how to do it
in his calm 'talking to idiots' sort of way he had when talking to me about technology.

First can I thank all his friends here who have left messages. Since Jazz told me about it yesterday I have kept catching up with what has been left,
and I can't tell you all what a support it has been. I always knew what a good lad he was but to know that you all knew it too has helped me more than
you could ever know.

To whoever set up the book of condolence, thankyou. All of his family have read it exept his Mother and Brother who can't yet face it but I know it will be a
help to them in the future.

As soon as we get more news I will pass it on to his mates so it can be passed onto you. Thanks again.

( To the person who set up the book, please don't think I am moaning, but is it possible to change the spelling of his name ?
It's Oli not Ollie and it realy pissed him off if anyone got it wrong ! I know it's only a small point and it doesn't alter the wonderful thing you have done. )

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:31 pm

Jolisaddlers Dad wrote:I have no idea if this will get onto the correct page, I don't have Oliver here to show me how to do it
in his calm 'talking to idiots' sort of way he had when talking to me about technology.

First can I thank all his friends here who have left messages. Since Jazz told me about it yesterday I have kept catching up with what has been left,
and I can't tell you all what a support it has been. I always knew what a good lad he was but to know that you all knew it too has helped me more than
you could ever know.

To whoever set up the book of condolence, thankyou. All of his family have read it exept his Mother and Brother who can't yet face it but I know it will be a

As soon as we get more news I will pass it on to his mates so it can be passed onto you. Thanks again.

( To the person who set up the book, please don't think I am moaning, but is it possible to change the spelling of his name ?
It's Oli not Ollie and it realy pissed him off if anyone got it wrong ! I know it's only a small point and it doesn't alter the wonderful thing you have done. )

the whole UTS and walsall FC community is here for you and your family, we all loved Oli, and my thoughts are all with you.

if theres anything we can do, im sure we will all help.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:46 pm

Jolisaddlers Dad wrote:I have no idea if this will get onto the correct page, I don't have Oliver here to show me how to do it

you could ever know.

Any help just let us know, I think you got the hang of the technology pretty well better than most of us on here.....All that's missing is a Mary Kate and Ashley Avatar.

I can't even begin to know how you must be feeling, I hust hope it is the slightest bit of comfort that Oli has been in the thoughts of all of us on there since we heard the sad news.

Unicorn

Shocked and saddened

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:57 pm

I've not made many posts and I only found out today at the game, but would just like to add that i've spent the last couple of hours reading all the tributes to Joly and it is very sad indeed. I sit behind the group of lads in the lower purple who sang their hearts out today in tribute to Joly and I found this very moving. Joly was clearly a person who touched so many and this shocking tradegy has impacted on the community of Walsall FC.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:27 pm

It really does give me a warm feeling to know that Oli's loved ones get comfort from the comments and thoughts of uts members...you should be...and obviously are proud of his life and memory...r.i.p Oli... :wink:

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:36 pm

Can I just say that Oli's mates who were in the Saddlers Club today did him proud. What a touching and dignified way to handle such a sad occasion.

A few of us went out on a UTS night out last night (joly was meant to have been there also). It was decided to carry on the night and we raised a glass in his memory.

The songs of "Joly is a saddler" toward the end of the match was also very moving and I was proud to add my voice to it.

True Saddler

Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:32 pm

Oli was the most amazing person you could ever meet, he never said a bad word about anyone and he wouldnt have anyone say anything bad about anyone either. I traveled to most of the away games with oli and it was always a pleasure to be in his company, and away games are not going to be the same with out you mate im guna miss you so much :cry:.

Today has been one of the hardest times of my life and i thought the way the lads sang his name today was so touching i was proud to be singing his name along with the lads it would of been what oli would of wanted. Im never guna forget you mate you were a true friend and you will never be forgoten. Al my heart goes out to his family.

It was also pleasure to have a drink with oli's grandad today i thought he was the one of strongest men i have ever come across.

You will never be forgotten mate R.I.P.
Last edited by True Saddler on Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

saddlernoggin
UTS Regular

Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:42 pm

I feel almost like a gatecrasher here as this is my first post - I only registered with the board this morning - but what a sad way to make my debut.

I didn't know Oli personally although I do recognise the face from matches but it is quite obvious from the size of this thread that he was a top bloke who was a friend to a lot of people.

My condolences to Oli's family. I hope you can take some comfort from the way the home end was chanting his name this afternoon - very moving indeed.

deanonev69
Glitterati

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 am

As a couple of people have said already, i knew Oli's face from matches-he was one of those that you was guaranteed to see wherever we go. I only found out yesterday, having been away all week and off line

A true Walsall supporter and will be sadly missed.

Condolences to the family and friends

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:55 pm

you could ever know.

I have changed everything from Ollie to Oli.
I am glad that something I set up could show you our feelings at losing such a top bloke.
Our thoughts are with your family at such a sad time.

Another_Guest

Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:00 pm

:shock:

speechless

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:50 pm

wfc_2uk wrote:

you could ever know.

I have changed everything from Ollie to Oli.
I am glad that something I set up could show you our feelings at losing such a top bloke.
Our thoughts are with your family at such a sad time.

Kev, as I said to you yesterday I have absolutely no idea how you do it, but once again mate, brilliant, no sooner the request than the action, congratulations and thanks are due to you once again.

And to Oli's dad, how fantastic it is that you managed to come on here at a time like this, and also how pleasing it is for us to know that the messages from so many of Oli's friends and acquaintances have reached you and given you and the family so much comfort.

Some people have said the internet is impersonal, but these events have proved that is totally untrue. I can't think of any other way on earth that so many people could unite together so quickly to express such warmth and affection for a young man so tragically lost, and such support for his family and friends who are having to cope with the suddenness and devastation of their loss.

Bitter Tree Hugger
Notts

Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:53 pm

I've only just read this post, this is so awful.

Sincere condolences to his family

Stonnall_Saddler

Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:19 pm

Does anyone know when the funeral is going to be?

Joe90
Glitterati

Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:21 pm

It's usually five days after, so I would imagine Tuesday, although I think the family are waiting to hear about the cause first.

ucow

Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:24 pm

phil said yesterday that it may be a week tomorow but as soon as anyone knows it will be on the message board

Joe90
Glitterati

Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:25 pm

That's a long time UCOW.

popperpancake

Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:44 pm

Horrible news. RIP.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:46 pm

Joe90 wrote:That's a long time UCOW.

It's about usual to be fair - I would guess early next week. I would also suggest we wait to see if the family want it private or not. Let just wait and see.

Joe90
Glitterati

Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:49 pm

Good call Steve. Let's not speculate, and respect Oli's family. I'm sure that we'll find out soon enough, and that the family will release any details they want us to know in due course.

stout_pooh

Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:43 pm

Although I never had the priviledge of meeting jolysaddler, this news puts one's own little troubles into perspective. As Stonnall Saddler put it, one should live life to the full as one does not know what is round the corner.

I can only pass on my deepest sympathy to Oli's family and friends............RIP Oli

unhappysaddler

Oli

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:17 pm

Oli was one of a kind. He loved his club, so much so that he sat in a walsall shirt on the top of the empire state building in the middle of November despite he sub zero temperatures just so he could have a picture! It was one of his favourites, and one of mine to.
I was lucky enough to know and love Oli for the last 5 years. This amazing young man taught me so much, not only about life but myself.
Ol you were amazing, and it is testament to the man that you were that so many people, many who had never met you felt moved enough to write.
My deepest sympathy goes out to Julie, Shaun and the rest of his very lovely family.
May the memory of our very Jolysaddler go on forever, I know it will in the hearts of all his family and friends.
God bless you Oli xxxx

PreviousNext
Return to You Said That Then