Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Oliver Hewitt - aka Jolysaddler

Reaction to the biggest events in Walsall FC's recent history. This section also houses the tributes paid to Jolysaddler.
tinned
Site Addict

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:27 pm

The Red Prince wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:He was a truly unique fella. He amazed me with his friendlyness, and openness to all people - indeed I tried to learn from his personality, the way he was friends with so many people, his ability to meet new people - he was completely non-judgemental of people, which in this day and age is a truely superb assett to have.

Thats exactly what made me feel that I had known him for longer than I actually did, and why I am so upset now.

What got me at the height of the Merson Out protests was Joly's thoughts about how Merson must be feeling. Even though he wanted him out as much as the rest of he was concerened about how it was affecting Merson, at a time when many of us hadn't given it a second thought (or care).

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:27 pm

I know its early and I have no idea how much one costs but I think a tribute like a brick at Bescot from the UTS crew might be fitting?

The Red Prince
Site Addict

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:29 pm

Dave Roe wrote:
The Red Prince wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:He was a truly unique fella. He amazed me with his friendlyness, and openness to all people - indeed I tried to learn from his personality, the way he was friends with so many people, his ability to meet new people - he was completely non-judgemental of people, which in this day and age is a truely superb assett to have.

Thats exactly what made me feel that I had known him for longer than I actually did, and why I am so upset now.

What got me at the height of the Merson Out protests was Joly's thoughts about how Merson must be feeling. Even though he wanted him out as much as the rest of he was concerened about how it was affecting Merson, at a time when many of us hadn't given it a second thought (or care).

Yeah, I remember having a converstaion with him about feeling guilty about the Merson Out stuff, and the way it must be making Merson feel. I guess he could see the best in almost anyone.

saddlersdaz
UTS Regular

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:30 pm

cheesebag wrote:I know its early and I have no idea how much one costs but I think a tribute like a brick at Bescot from the UTS crew might be fitting?

Absolutely brilliant idea, count me in for that one

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:31 pm

Cheesebag - I was thinking, if we do still decide to go out tomorrow (which seems to be the concensus so far) we can have a whip round and do something like that. Great idea IMO

saddlerken
Site Addict

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:33 pm

Very sad news, very shocked, poor bloke

gypo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:34 pm

R.I.P mate regards to all his friends and family.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:35 pm

I will definately contribute towards the Brick, or anything else you come up with.

Evo Boozy Saddler
Glitterati

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:36 pm

OMG. I am in tears. Only met Oli a few times, but he was such a top bloke. A true legend. Such a top bloke. I am stunned. My deep condolances to all his familly and friends.

JolySaddler RIP. You will be missed big style.

Any sort of tributes going, count me in.

sean511
UTS Regular

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:38 pm

Has anyone contacted the club about doing anything? If so have they replied? I think he deserves a minute clapping at the match. He wouldn't want it to be silent, by the sound of it he wasn't that kind of person.

saddla
Site Addict

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:38 pm

Very sad news, RIP.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:39 pm

i think theyre about 30£ cheesebag a good tribute to the lad

a great kid to be around, ill put in for the tribute aswell

i am really stunned, i was only talking to him last night aswell

deepest sympathies to his family

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

All good ideas, im going to contact roy whalley by telephone tomorrow to sort a minute's applause for just before kick off.

I'd also like to tell people that Oliver's Grandad, John, sits with us a the football. God only knows how he is feeling - It's going to be terrible for him to turn up to a match with Ol being there.

My thoughts are with him, as well as his family.

I'm sure Olly would have prefered a minutes clapping to silence, and a brick would be a fitting tribute - im sure we can afford two bricks.
Last edited by philthesaddler on Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Absolutely unbelievable news...shaking at the very thought of it
I can't claim to be a mate of Oli's, but I've spoken to him countless times at away games, stood by him, had a laugh with him.
What can be said, other than I hope the whole UTS Community can make its way to the Saddlers Club on Saturday to have a pint for him.
Anything in the programme has to be with the consent of Oli's family, but I know Andrew Poole very well (going to see Don Goodman with him tonight, actually), and I'm sure that there would be absolutely no problem in there being a fitting, almost 'official' tribute.

RIP Joly

Stu
UTS Legend

You know I thought this was a wind up at first, a sick joke...

Stunned that its true. He came up to me at Swindon away this season and I've spoke to him a couple of times since, last at Colchester. Nice bloke indeed.

I'm still sort of waiting for someone to tell me this is a wind up, but my deepest sympathies go out to his family.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:43 pm

Stu wrote:You know I thought this was a wind up at first, a sick joke...

Stunned that its true. He came up to me at Swindon away this season and I've spoke to him a couple of times since, last at Colchester. Nice bloke indeed.

I'm still sort of waiting for someone to tell me this is a wind up, but my deepest sympathies go out to his family.

I know how you feel stu, for the first couple of hours, whilst we were waiting to announce this terrible news, me, locks and mmf just couldnt, almost wouldn't believe it - thats how devastating it is.

And by the way, please feel free to use my avatar as a tribute to Ol, just like I am.
Last edited by philthesaddler on Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Evo Boozy Saddler
Glitterati

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:43 pm

Wfc2uk, Kev any chance of doing an online condolance book or sommert. We've gotta do something to mark Oli's life, and the truely special bloke that he was. I'll contribute to the cost of a brick too.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:45 pm

Absolutely heartbreaking news. Joly was a great guy, so sad and upsetting.

My thoughts are with his family & friends.

I want to go home and hug my wife & daughter and tell them how much I love them.

May the peace of the Lord be with him.

Count me in for any tribute contributions.

The Red Prince
Site Addict

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:46 pm

philthesaddler wrote:

I know how you feel stu, for the first couple of hours, whilst we were waiting to announce this terrible news, me, locks and mmf just couldnt, almost wouldn't believe it - thats how devastating it is.

And by the way, please feel free to use my avatar as a tribute to Ol, just like I am.

Glad you don't mind me using that avatar.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:47 pm

The Red Prince wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:

Glad you don't mind me using that avatar.

Thats the reason I did it, in the hope others would follow.

The Red Prince
Site Addict

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:47 pm

Also count me in for any tributes.

Joe90
Glitterati

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:50 pm

Me too.
I can't make tomorrow night, but shall be making my own quiet toast to one of life's good uns.

saddlersdaz
UTS Regular

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:52 pm

Not out until before the match on Saturday, will try and get as many Walsall fans as possible to raise a glass in The Fullbrook by way of a toast.

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:52 pm

Wasent the closest to oli but met him at chesterfield he come over with TJ introduced him self to me shook my hand as we had been talking on UTS few days before the match. Really top bloke and a great character! I am just gob smacked i really am. 23 is nothing. My feelings go out to him and hes family.
God Bless Mate
R.I.P OLI :cry:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:54 pm

It goes without saying that count me in for any contributions.

I have spoken to Rich who has spoken to Oli's family again.

They like the idea of a tribute at the match but are going away for a few days to collect their thoughts and want to leave it a while so it won't be this Saturday.

saddlersdaz
UTS Regular

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:56 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:It goes without saying that count me in for any contributions.

They like the idea of a tribute at the match but are going away for a few days to collect their thoughts and want to leave it a while so it won't be this Saturday.

Thank You for keeping us informed MMF

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:57 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:They like the idea of a tribute at the match but are going away for a few days to collect their thoughts and want to leave it a while so it won't be this Saturday.

That's more than understandable...

Perhaps a more private UTS rendevous in the Saddlers Club?

Zola Saddler

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:01 pm

Would that be in the big room or the lounge ? I drink in the lounge but would love to join you all for a drink on Saturday in memory of a true saddler . This news has really upset me today and i never met the guy so god only knows what most of you must be feeling. x x

Stu
UTS Legend

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:01 pm

Rest easy Joly...

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:03 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:It goes without saying that count me in for any contributions.

We'll follow the family's lead. They know how much he was in to WFC, and they'll want to be part of any tribute.

Still a few choruses of "Joly is a Saddler" are due for this saturday.

PreviousNext
Return to You Said That Then