Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Oliver Hewitt - aka Jolysaddler

Reaction to the biggest events in Walsall FC's recent history. This section also houses the tributes paid to Jolysaddler.
geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:50 am

wfc_2uk wrote:Am I the only one scared of going to bed tonight? I was upset today at work but sitting with family and my partner tonight I just broke into tears listening to Candle In the Wind on VH1. I tried to hold the tears back but I couldnt.
Its shows what a bloke he really was.
R.I.P Ollie.

No shame in tears or fears tonight Kev, to be honest I'm in bits just reading these messages, even though I never even had the privilege of meeting Joly. His personality has obviously touched a great many people, and clearly that's how he should always be remembered, as a great guy with a great outlook on life, a great zest for life, and a thoroughly fine and decent young man.

saddlersdaz
UTS Regular

Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:51 am

I never actually met Ollie, only spoke to him on UTS on several occassions. I signed the Book Of Condolence earlier, and cracked open a beer in the name of Jolysaddler, and found myself crying. Some of the messages you guys have been leaving are still stuck in my head, and I only wish I had the opportunity to meet him before this unfortunate event.

My heart not only goes out to Ollie himself, nor just his family, but to those of you on UTS who were fortunate enough to know Ollie, and to those of you fortunate to call have such a great friend.

God be with you Joly....... RIP my friend.

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:54 am

saddlersdaz wrote:I never actually met Ollie, only spoke to him on UTS on several occassions. I signed the Book Of Condolence earlier, and cracked open a beer in the name of Jolysaddler, and found myself crying. Some of the messages you guys have been leaving are still stuck in my head, and I only wish I had the opportunity to meet him before this unfortunate event.

My heart not only goes out to Ollie himself, nor just his family, but to those of you on UTS who were fortunate enough to know Ollie, and to those of you fortunate to call have such a great friend.

God be with you Joly....... RIP my friend.

Superb post mate. Yeah i'll be having a drink tomorrow night with me dad i'll have one for oli! I'll also try and get to the saddlers club saturday!

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:10 am

very first time Oli spoke to me on here he sent me this PM..i thought it was quite nice him just poping up and saying hello on here. Such a great chap he is then i saw him a week after at chesterfield.

hi mate, i saw on the one thread about today that you were up the back banging on the metal wall thing. i'm now wondering who you are as i'd probably know you as i was at the back to.

i dont know who you know off here but i was next to Gary ellison saddler and in front of percie, wearing a big grey coat. oh and i'm 6ft 5 so i may stand out for that to!

oli

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:20 am

Posted on the condolence book, and found it very, very moving.

I'm even more in bits now, but Kev, I've got to say thanks a million. Ain't got a clue how you do it mate, but you are an absolute star for setting this up !

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:31 am

Just reading what he posted on here on Tuesday and beyond about his illness and how he regretted missing the Yeovil game and stuff. Knowing Joly just as a lad to have a pint and a bit chat now and again, not really a mate or anything but Its really got to me.

This bloke loved Walsall FC, he was more concerned about the bloody match than himself and was posting on here hours before he died its unbelievable.

This message board will never be the same for me after this, this is a catharsis for cyberspace and UTS, this has never hapened before and things can never be the same now IMO.

saddlersdaz
UTS Regular

Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:32 am

geoffwhiting wrote:Posted on the condolence book, and found it very, very moving.

I'm even more in bits now, but Kev, I've got to say thanks a million. Ain't got a clue how you do it mate, but you are an absolute star for setting this up !

I'll second that geoff, something like that would take me weeks to figure out.

Good on ya Kev

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:02 am

me and percie have both been out tonight in honour of a great friend, never forget you mate.

Exile
Jobsworth

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:22 am

I raised a glass in the pub at lunch, and told all my friends here about Joly. Feel worse as the day goes on - still can't believe it. Amazing how someone you've not met can have such an effect - we're really an on-line community at times like this.

Walsall Supporter

Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:51 am

wfc_2uk wrote:Am I the only one scared of going to bed tonight? I was upset today at work but sitting with family and my partner tonight I just broke into tears listening to Candle In the Wind on VH1. I tried to hold the tears back but I couldnt.
Its shows what a bloke he really was.
R.I.P Ollie.

I felt the same, and i had never met him, he was the last thing i thought of as i closed my eyes, and the first thing i thought of today! It has really hit me hard, and i agree with georgie, this site will never be the same again.

R.I.P Joly

ucow

Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:12 am

i woke up this morning wishing it was all a bad dream but reading through the kind heartfelt words of people who know him more than me or less than me have made me realise that oli wont be around anymore which is a dam shame as he was a fantastic kid and will be sorroly missed. words are failing me at the moment so i will sign the condolance book at a later date but good on you kev for setting it up

HKSaddler
the "fececious" one

Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:15 am

I never met Joly, but his charm and wit came through his posts on here. His posts will be missed. My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Stu
UTS Legend

Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:19 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:Steve Stuart on NMFE has suggested a joint message board unnofficial Young Player of The Year shield bearing Oli's name. Another good idea I thought. He also suggested a balloon day.

That is a bloody cracking idea actually, as with the number of folk who've said they'd contribute, you'd have a decent amount.

Wicked_Slim_Shady

Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:48 am

Like many I knew him from here.

But I did have the honour of meeting him last month in Bar Sport when I went out with Evo and a few of the lads from work.

Shocking news, and a crying shame to pass away so young.

RIP mahte.

The Red Prince
Site Addict

Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:02 am

I still can't believe it!

Tuesday - I saw him in his doorway giving me the thumbs up.

Wednesday - I joked with him about the girl he pulled on Friday night.

Thursday - I know the world is a little darker, and missing a giant of a man in more ways than one.

RIP Oli, I will miss you, and I won't be the only one.

Its a mark of the greatness of the lad, that I am this upset, and I didn't know him all that well.

It looks like most people feel the same.

sean511
UTS Regular

Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:05 am

wfc_2uk wrote:Here is a book of condolence set up to send your final messages to Joly. A true gent.
This is my way of saying goodbye to a top bloke.

R.I.P mate.

http://condolencemark.tripod.com/jolysaddler

Brilliant stuff Kev :wink:

sean511
UTS Regular

Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:06 am

Can we sign a guestbook and put our thoughts in there?

The Red Prince
Site Addict

Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:29 am

Any chance of some sort of tribute on the front page Neil?

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:05 am

geoffwhiting wrote:Posted on the condolence book, and found it very, very moving.

I set one up for 9/11 and the late Wycombe player but the death of Ollie made me set this one up more than the other two. Its just my own way of saying goodbye to a top bloke.
Still cant get my head around it this morning.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:24 am

I dont know whether we should or shouldnt but im taking some flowers and scarf to the match tomorrow to place at either the reception or by Ollie's seat (if someone tells me where he sat).

R.I.P Ollie

Walsall Supporter

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:16 am

I was telling a teacher (who was a fan of football)at the school which i work at how affected I was by joly's death, saying that i only knew him through reading this message board.
He then asked if his name was Oliver, and I said yes, what a small world, his sister worked with oliver and told him about it yesterday, and she was totally gutted, no one could believe that this could happen to such a nice guy.

He seems to have touched everyones heart who knew him, and amazingly people who only knew him in cyberspace....

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:26 am

wfc_2uk wrote:I dont know whether we should or shouldnt but im taking some flowers and scarf to the match tomorrow to place at either the reception or by Ollie's seat (if someone tells me where he sat).

R.I.P Ollie

My mate has just suggested that we should get a huge wreath for whenever the funeral is.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:37 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:
wfc_2uk wrote:I dont know whether we should or shouldnt but im taking some flowers and scarf to the match tomorrow to place at either the reception or by Ollie's seat (if someone tells me where he sat).

R.I.P Ollie

My mate has just suggested that we should get a huge wreath for whenever the funeral is.

Yeah OK, with the money we get off everyone it should pay for a big enough wreath.
I was just thinking of paying my respects tomorrow with some flowers at the ground?

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:43 am

wfc_2uk wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

R.I.P Ollie

Yeah OK, with the money we get off everyone it should pay for a big enough wreath.
I was just thinking of paying my respects tomorrow with some flowers at the ground?

Forget the flowers - always against them anyway. A brick in the wall, please.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:46 am

Neil, a brick costs about £30 which will make a nice permanent tribute. We're gonna have hundreds at this rate and rightly so.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 am

Could we maybe have this message board dedicated to him?? I think UTS should think of a tribute on this site for him considering most of his time was spent on here chatting to us.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:01 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:Neil, a brick costs about £30 which will make a nice permanent tribute. We're gonna have hundreds at this rate and rightly so.

Then find something else a little more permanent than some flowers, which will be gone in a day. Ask the club if the money can be used for the kids' room under the family stand, on the understanding it will be named after him. Something like that's far, far better.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:05 am

By the way (and I hope he'd have appreciated this), he's made the front page:-

http://upthesaddlers.com/wp/archives/20 ... lysaddler/

Will
UTS Regular

JolySadler

Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:09 am

Never really met Jolysadler, which is a shame as he sounds like a real nice guy.

I always enjoyed reading his messages - he always struck me as an intelligent, caring and most of all genuine bloke.

I really feel for his parents and family who must be going through the mill at the moment. Hopefully they can take some comfort from all the people who have met him and spoke well of him.

I'm out tonight and will definitely contribute to anything that will help everyone to remember him by.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:17 am

Havent stopped thinking about this, and I never met him. Only spoke to him on here and rivals.
What a horrible waste.

I will be raising a glass to him tomorrow in the saddlers club.

This has shown though what a strong sense of togatherness there is on this online community of ours.

PreviousNext
Return to You Said That Then