Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Oliver Hewitt - aka Jolysaddler

Reaction to the biggest events in Walsall FC's recent history. This section also houses the tributes paid to Jolysaddler.
Duke Wayne

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:34 pm

DAVEDEAN wrote:I hope the club are informed of this tragic news and arrange a tribute at one of our home games so we can all pay our repects to a super saddler
and a supporter we can all be proud of

I 100% agree it would be really nice if we did

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:00 pm

R.I.P.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:04 pm

Seriously tragic news... I met him at Huish Park, and he was a very friendly person. I'm really very shocked about this, and quite saddened.

My thoughts are with his family and friends. Rest in peace Oli.

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:05 pm

I shall be away this weekend too, so as Stu has already said, please sing Ollie's name a little louder on my behalf also.

I would be honoured to contribute to any fund raising.
I particularly like the idea of match or matchball sponsorship, but a brick in the memorial wall sounds very apt too.

After firstly hearing the news this lunchtime, I am still in a state of shock.
Our wonderful UTS community has lost one of its own.

My thoughts and prayers are with Ollie's family at this sad time. RIP.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:31 pm

I wrote abit about him on my site in respect

http://www.freewebs.com/saddler_4_eva/latestnews.htm

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:32 pm

Only heard this awful, tragic news this afternoon when, during a long business meeting, ucow sent me a text message. I was absolutely shocked and saddened to think of this happening to a young guy of just 23, and it's hard to find the right words to say at a time like this.

I never met Joly, but thinking back a few months, he and I exchanged a few friendly messages when he'd found out I had a holiday home in Wales and he was telling me that his parents also have one quite close to where mine used to be. Only in the last 48 hours, when he finally got around to posting his response on the "Names for UTS Members" thread, he described me as "Porthmadog" - we had said that we'd both meet up at a Porthmadog game one of these Saturdays, but since then we've never found ourselves in the area at the same time.

So, although I never had the pleasure to meet him, it is clear from those friendly posts, and from the comments on here from those who knew him, that Ollie was a particularly nice guy, and he will be very sadly missed by us all.

My thoughts, wishes and regrets go out for Ollie on leaving this life at such a young age, and my deepest condolences go to his parents, family and friends who must all be totally shattered by this tragedy.

I shall be glad to contribute to anything and everything that the UTS family decide to do to celebrate Ollie's life and to mark his sad passing, if those closest to him on here will just be so kind as to keep us all informed.

Ollie, RIP mate, you will be sadly missed by all on UTS. :cry:

Duke
Site Addict

Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:33 pm

Stonnall_Saddler wrote:I think there should be a message on the homepage of UTS, and a link to Kev's book of condolence

R.I.P Ollie

Excellent idea

Duke
Site Addict

Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:38 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:Then there's this thread from Tuesday night..

http://upthesaddlers.com/bb/viewtopic.p ... 9544ec7d32

and there was me moaning about the flu
I feel really sickend by this tragedy

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:41 pm

Steve Stuart on NMFE has suggested a joint message board unnofficial Young Player of The Year shield bearing Oli's name. Another good idea I thought. He also suggested a balloon day.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:00 pm

Here is a book of condolence set up to send your final messages to Joly. A true gent.
This is my way of saying goodbye to a top bloke.

R.I.P mate.

http://condolencemark.tripod.com/jolysaddler

stafflers
UTS Regular

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:04 pm

Shocking news - "tragic" doesn't come close to describing the sudden death of such a young man like this.

I think I met him on two or three times; and while I can't claim to have known him well, he was always, well, er, joly!

My deepest sympathies to his family and friends.

Pelsall_Saddler

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:05 pm

Fantastic work wfc_2uk.

dornansog
UTS Veteran

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:15 pm

can I suggest that someone of professional and financial integrity (perhaps an accountant of this parish) could open a bank account and post details on here so we could all contribute to any kind of memorial that his family might want.

Like many on here I didnt know Joly personally and I do feel that because of this I may be intruding on private grief, but he was still part of the community on here on so I felt I knew a bit about him. This news has shocked me and Im not ashamed to say that the tributes on here have brought tears to my eyes. His parents must be very proud of someone who was obviously a well loved and respected young man.

Condolences to his family and all those of you on here who knew him
RIP Joly

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:21 pm

Like many who have posted above, I never met Joly and my only contact with him was through reading his posts on this site. But on UTS we are a real community and today have, very sadly, lost one of our own.

To his family and all who knew him far, far better than me: deepest condolences and my thoughts and prayers are with you.

God bless and RIP Jolysaddler

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:24 pm

It's just all so sudden... it was literally hours since I was posting to him about computer games on Off Topic, talking to him about Playstations.

Erugh... :(

tinned
Site Addict

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:31 pm

So much for the "experts" who said the internet would alienate people from each other and we would become isolated.

Without this site I would only know a handful of Walsall fans. Sometimes it feels like I know half the crowd.

Even when we're arguing and the like, theres no escaping that UTS has brought numerous people together in a proper community.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:32 pm

dornansog wrote:can I suggest that someone of professional and financial integrity (perhaps an accountant of this parish) could open a bank account and post details on here so we could all contribute to any kind of memorial that his family might want.

Like many on here I didnt know Joly personally and I do feel that because of this I may be intruding on private grief, but he was still part of the community on here on so I felt I knew a bit about him. This news has shocked me and Im not ashamed to say that the tributes on here have brought tears to my eyes. His parents must be very proud of someone who was obviously a well loved and respected young man.

Condolences to his family and all those of you on here who knew him
RIP Joly

dornansog, not sure if that was aimed in my direction, but if it was I would be glad and honoured to handle an account of that type.

I think we need to get some concensus on that first of all though, so shall await the thoughts of others in due course.

Today/tonight though, let's just remember Ollie, however each of us knew him.

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:34 pm

I'm shocked that this could happen to someone so young.

My condolences to his family.

RIP

fensaddler
UTS Veteran

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:37 pm

Don't think I ever met Joly - but he's such a regular name on here that like so many, his loss really does hit home. Its hard to credit that a young guy, fit and full of life can go so suddenly. There's not much more I can say that isn't terribly trite, and that hasn't been said already. Its simply a reminder to live your life now, not in the future, and make sure that whenever it ends, you've lived it the way you should have lived it, to the highest and best values.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:42 pm

wfc_2uk wrote:Here is a book of condolence set up to send your final messages to Joly. A true gent.

R.I.P mate.

can we get a link via the homepage Neil?

I am still waiting for a message from Joly to say, only joking. That message will never come. :cry: :cry: Rest In Peace Ollie. You will never be forgotten.

Joe90
Glitterati

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:43 pm

I've been thinking that Kev. Have been waiting for a message saying "Suckers! Gotcha!"

Cully
Site Addict

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:46 pm

It is always sad when someone dies at such a young age. It is obvious from the many messages on this board that there are friends and close relatives who will miss Oliver as well as countless others who were touched by his presence. Words alone cannot express how a person feels or how difficult it is to lose a family member, they can only express the knowledge that the person will be remembered fondly for what they contributed while they were amongst us. For me, 'us' being the UTS family and for that Oliver will be remembered and celebrated for playing his part to the full.

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:56 pm

wfc_2uk wrote:Here is a book of condolence set up to send your final messages to Joly. A true gent.

R.I.P mate.

Superb Kev

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:06 pm

I've signed it.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:25 pm

Thanks to every who has posted their condolences for Ol's family.

I have spoken to my mom, who actually corrected me on how long i'd known him. I thought i'd known him since year 3 at Cooper & Jordan - I'd in fact been to play groups with him at the age of 3 & 4, then on to nursery and school. I never realised how long I'd known him. My mother was good friends with his mother back then, and my mother felt pretty upset that this has happened.

I'm distraught. I've lost a great mate, I just can't imagine what his family are going through, his mom, his dad, his step, his brother and sister- his grandfather, who sits next to me at the match - i'm devastated for them.

It's only really just starting to hit me now how much ill miss the lad, and part of me still doesnt realise what this means. He had so much going for him, he was unique, I knew nobody who was remotely like him.

We will remember him in a lasting way, that will be something to consult with his family about, but in the meantime; those who go out tomorrow night, raise a glass to him - i'm sure he'd rather be remembered with a smile than to be mourned, and those who come to the match on sunday, listen out for "joly is a saddler".

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:32 pm

I've signed it but somehow words alone don't seem to be enough.

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:37 pm

listen out for "joly is a saddler".[/quote]
I will sing along to that indeed. [/quote]

Evo Boozy Saddler
Glitterati

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:50 pm

It was earlier this season, and I was having a prematch pint with UCOW and Cal, and UCOW said "There's JolySaddler". However I was shy and stupid and didn't go and introduce myself.

However, I finally met him at the last UTS night out in Sofias, and it was clear then what a top bloke he was.

Since then, he's always stopped and said hello, or when we lose at home, and I walk out at the end, with head down, sometimes I'd hear a "alright Evo", and it was Joly. A friendly face, when you needed it most.

Joly mate, I just wish I'd met you sooner, when I had the chance. But thanks for being a top bloke the time I did know you.

RIP JolySaddler. :cry: :cry: :cry:

(Kev, I'll sign the book in the morning when I've got a clearer head)

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:59 pm

EVO wrote:It was earlier this season, and I was having a prematch pint with UCOW and Cal, and UCOW said "There's JolySaddler". However I was shy and stupid and didn't go and introduce myself.

However, I finally met him at the last UTS night out in Sofias, and it was clear then what a top bloke he was.

Since then, he's always stopped and said hello, or when we lose at home, and I walk out at the end, with head down, sometimes I'd hear a "alright Evo", and it was Joly. A friendly face, when you needed it most.

Joly mate, I just wish I'd met you sooner, when I had the chance. But thanks for being a top bloke the time I did know you.

RIP JolySaddler. :cry: :cry: :cry:

(Kev, I'll sign the book in the morning when I've got a clearer head)

Good post mate, I also wish i knew him earlier than when i did. I met him at chesterfield and he come over shook my hand..I only knew TJ with him but didnt know Joly from then he was a great bloke to speak to.
R.I.P :cry:

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:05 am

Am I the only one scared of going to bed tonight? I was upset today at work but sitting with family and my partner tonight I just broke into tears listening to Candle In the Wind on VH1. I tried to hold the tears back but I couldnt.
Its shows what a bloke he really was.
R.I.P Ollie.

PreviousNext
Return to You Said That Then