Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Oliver Hewitt - aka Jolysaddler

Reaction to the biggest events in Walsall FC's recent history. This section also houses the tributes paid to Jolysaddler.
Smithywfc
UTS Regular

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:21 am

I never had the priveldge to meet oli, but i always knew he was respected on this board and off it also. I have only just realised how much i saw him around at matches. Things are reminding me lately how short life is, but this is the biggest reminder yet. I cant begin to imagine what his family are going through, but i hope they find something to guide them through this tough time.

R.I.P Oli

The Red Prince
Site Addict

Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:01 am

Here are a couple of pictures of his seat on Saturday, I apologise for the quality:

RIP big man.

Floodlight Pylon

Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:02 am

sad news. sleep well, joly, and be at peace.

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:31 am

Very touching that, thanks Red Prince. I'm sure he would have appreciated it.

ucow

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:14 pm

as dave says very touching and nice to see at the same time cheers rp

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Thanks for that Red Prince, very touching.

Evo Boozy Saddler
Glitterati

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:28 pm

Good photos, wish I could have been with you guys on Saturday, however me and Saddler Jim gave it large portions of chanting in the library that is block 6.

More chanting on Saturday, lets have the people up the tower knowing that "there's only one Joly Saddler".

Zola Saddler

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:31 pm

Nice one Red Prince - its very upsetting but I for one feel a lot better having got through saturday, spending time with his close friends, I just cant believe how strong you all were. Looking forward to giving Oli a great send off at Blackpool this weekend x x

wfcblower

Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:59 pm

i was shock when i heard this news, i saw him at the home and away match's.

We went to the same fitness 1st jim, we always said hello cause we both had our walsall tops on.

What a shame

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:18 pm

Thanks for the pics Red Prince, it is very moving indeed to see the shirt we all signed adorning Oli's seat.

I'd like to think it will be there for the rest of our home matches, before we all decide on a permanent home for it.

WFC4Eva

Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:09 pm

EVO wrote:More chanting on Saturday, lets have the people up the tower knowing that "there's only one Joly Saddler".

I agree Evo!

hootywwfc

Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:24 pm

Please excuse the intrusion of a "Dingle" onto your site but I wanted to add my tribute to a thoroughly nice young man. I've worked with Oli for some 5, maybe 6 years now and he was instrumental in giving me the confidence to join Fitness First in Walsall Wood. We trained together now and then and it was Oli that introduced me to my beloved steam room!!!!! There's not a lot that can be said at times such as this but I'd like to say that I would have been proud to have been your father. Oli - the son I wish I'd had. See you (later) in the big steam room in the sky!!!!!

PS - I hope the Saddlers stay up.......do it for Oli!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God bless...........
Last edited by hootywwfc on Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pedro
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:27 pm

Where can i sign the shirt next home match ?

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:11 pm

Pedro wrote:Where can i sign the shirt next home match ?

We'll sort something out Pedro. It would be nice to get more players to sign the same shirt so it will probably be bought to another match.

Of all the songs sung on Saturday I think Joly Oli's Barmy Army was the best. I think we should concentrate on that at Blackpool.

True Saddler

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:48 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:

We'll sort something out Pedro. It would be nice to get more players to sign the same shirt so it will probably be bought to another match.

Of all the songs sung on Saturday I think Joly Oli's Barmy Army was the best. I think we should concentrate on that at Blackpool.

Yes i agree with you there mark (MMF) definatly concentrate on that. :P

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:36 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:

I only knew Oli through the bored as i dont live around the Walsall area but this hit me quite hard. from what i saw he was such a top bloke.

MMF, it'd be great so sign that shirt too, PM me and let me know the best way to go about it.

RIP Joly. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and closest friends at this time.

Sam

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:59 pm

hootywwfc wrote:Please excuse the intrusion of a "Dingle" onto your site but I wanted to add my tribute to a thoroughly nice young man. I've worked with Ollie for some 5, maybe 6 years now and he was instrumental in giving me the confidence to join Fitness First in Walsall Wood. We trained together now and then and it was Ollie that introduced me to my beloved steam room!!!!! There's not a lot that can be said at times such as this but I'd like to say that I would have been proud to have been your father. Ollie - the son I wish I'd had. See you (later) in the big steam room in the sky!!!!!

PS - I hope the Saddlers stay up.......do it for Ollie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God bless...........

Don't think of this as an intrusion, you are most welcome here, as are your kind and very moving comments about Oli.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:11 am

Can I just thank everyone that signed the book of condolence. Shaun (oli's dad) said he will print it off for Oli's grandparents.
Maybe we could copy and paste the messages into a tribute thread as part of this site?, which admin could then lock.

Once again thank you.

bass

Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:21 am

I only got to know about this site and Oli's involvement after visiting his family. Oli's mother Julie is my cousin and his brothers David and Adam told me about it and showed me the address.

I must admit that I have not kept in touch as much in recent years except the usual family get togethers which makes it all the more difficult to take or even comprehend. Being a usual 30 somthin football and fun loving kind of bloke thinking im in full control of all my emotions I must admit to crying for the first time in what feels like years.

I sat with my uncle and Oli's grandad John for sometime and as some of you who go to the games will know, they are more like mates than family. You might already know but John did not what to go to any games again let alone the Bradford one but felt he owed it to Oli. Having heard what you all did for them on Saturday and how good the club and particulary Madds Timm were should make you all feel proud and reinforces what a top and well liked bloke Oli was and still is.

I hope I get to meet some of you at the funeral (unfortunately still no news on the date) and I would be very happy to buy you all a beer or two.

R.I.P Oli gone but not forgotten.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:33 am

bass wrote:I only got to know about this site and Oli's involvement after visiting his family. Oli's mother Julie is my cousin and his brothers David and Adam told me about it and showed me the address.

I must admit that I have not kept in touch as much in recent years except the usual family get togethers which makes it all the more difficult to take or even comprehend. Being a usual 30 somthin football and fun loving kind of bloke thinking im in full control of all my emotions I must admit to crying for the first time in what feels like years.

I sat with my uncle and Oli's grandad John for sometime and as some of you who go to the games will know, they are more like mates than family. You might already know but John did not what to go to any games again let alone the Bradford one but felt he owed it to Oli. Having heard what you all did for them on Saturday and how good the club and particulary Madds Timm were should make you all feel proud and reinforces what a top and well liked bloke Oli was and still is.

I hope I get to meet some of you at the funeral (unfortunately still no news on the date) and I would be very happy to buy you all a beer or two.

R.I.P Oli gone but not forgotten.

Bass - well said - judging by Oli's poularity, it could be an expensive round of beers !

LancsSaddler
UTS Regular

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:12 pm

i only really knew oli as joly saddler and never really spoke to him on the board either, just wanted to give my condolences to his family and friends. i had seen the thread and thought it is a shame for someone to die so young, but it really hit me when i went on the league website for the team that i play for on a saturday and there was also a tribute to him. it turns out that i may have played football against him, which makes it even more real and makes you think.

RIP oli/jolysaddler

saddlerscott
UTS Regular

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:07 am

R.I.P Oli
i havent posted on this thread until now, everything i would want to say, has already been said. thats to be expected with Oli being such a genuinley well liked bloke, but i felt i had to post now.
knowing how this has helped his family and hearing, and joining in with the chants on saturday is a tribute to the lad, but nothing can truely be a fitting tribute to him.
the first time i met Oli was in the floors2go lounge, he came up and said 'i take it your saddlerscott? im jolysaddler, i suppose i best buy a ticket off you to stop you from begging on the board'. i spoke to him on several occasions at games after that, i think the club will do well for us with this. as much as they have their downfalls, they do make us a family club, and they are in touch with the fans. but im not aware what mads timm did? could anyone enlighten me?
anyway RIP mate, you can watch all our games free now without freezing you bollox off on a freezing terrace at brentford, but saying that, we all know that thats what you loved to do

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:50 pm

Funeral details now on the front page of the book of condolence web-site for Oli.

Walsall Supporter

Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:15 pm

On page 6 of tonights Wolverhampton addition of the E & S there is a piece regarding Oli's death. Under the headlines of Saddlers fan died in his bed.

R.I.P Oli!

Cradleysaddler

Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:00 pm

Only knew Oli by saying hello at away matches. He always had a smile and always said hello.
If only everyone was like Oli the world would be a better place.

R.I.P Oli

realist saddler
UTS Veteran

Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:25 pm

Never had the pleasure of meeting him, but this is such heartbreaking news.

Rest in peace Oli

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:49 pm

Unless there are strong objections, I'd like to move this thread to the "You Said That Then" Section, as there are the memorial fund and the funeral details threads now.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:57 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Unless there are strong objections, I'd like to move this thread to the "You Said That Then" Section, as there are the memorial fund and the funeral details threads now.

Would it be possible to maybe leave it until after the funeral on Friday Neil?

I think that people might want to read this again on Friday.

Thanks.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:01 pm

That's when I was thinking of doing it.

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:54 pm

Just read Joly's thread on that dreadful night still can't believe it

PreviousNext
Return to You Said That Then