Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Kevan Broadhurst

Reaction to the biggest events in Walsall FC's recent history. This section also houses the tributes paid to Jolysaddler.
Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:40 pm

I'm certain he would have played against Forest during your championship season, and probably the season you won the European cup for the first time so I can't see how you havn't heard of him.

And his initial tenure is until the end of the season.

I'm sure the new Forest manager will be a very famous manager, like, Megson, Ron Atkinson, Kinnear etc. You wouldn't want some inexperienced ex-player....like Stuart Pearce....or Martin O'Neil.

Bah! Let them go elsewhere!!

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:45 pm

...and Forgot to mention if it's a famous name you crave PAUL MERSON is out of work!

Knows the league, lives in the midlands, eperienced...."diffrent clarse" in fact - go on you know you want to.

dornansog
UTS Veteran

Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:11 pm

I wonder how many of you who are tearing up your season tickets and slagging off KB were wetting themselves with joy when Merse got the job.
My mate put a post on the day Merse got the job explaining why he thought it would be a disaster. He got such abuse from 90% of posters he never bothered posting again. No one wanted to believe it wasnt the start of a golden era.

I dont know if KB will be answer to all our prayers but he cant possibly be as a bad as Merson (or Platt). He has decent credentials for our situation and I say give him a chance.

geoff skillet
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:16 pm

I'm pleased with the appointment.

I'm backing him 100%.

Looking forward to our next home match.

Time will tell, but it sounds like a decent decision to me.

LET'S HELP THE SADDLERS STAY UP!

Is a Play Off place out of the question now? :wink:.

Nortoncanesred
UTS Veteran

Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:29 pm

I'm not upset with Broadhursts appointment but he needs to be a miracle worker to turn that bunch of useless, uncaring loan players into a side that can stay up. The transfer window is a real kick in the teeth & may relegate us this year as the new man has got to work with what he's got & that is not a lot.

Ant-neeGerrard4

Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:31 pm

GOOD LUCK KB!

HOPE YOU DO WELL JUSt LIKE SIR RAY DID.

Just everyone think how we didnt know much about Sir Ray Before he took over and then he did a grand job for us and now everyone loves him. maybe KB could do the same! keep us up this year and then get us promoted to the championship next year. back to where we belong!

SS!

Bitter Tree Hugger
Notts

Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:13 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:I'm certain he would have played against Forest during your championship season, and probably the season you won the European cup for the first time so I can't see how you havn't heard of him.

I'm sure the new Forest manager will be a very famous manager, like, Megson, Ron Atkinson, Kinnear etc. You wouldn't want some inexperienced ex-player....like Stuart Pearce....or Martin O'Neil.

Whoh chill out - thers probably hundreds of players played against Forest I haven't heard of.

Jeez, did I hit anerve or what :mrgreen:

walsall 1984

Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:22 pm

give him 100% backing for the rest of the season and i am sure we will stay up :lol:

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:39 pm

Well I'm disappointed with the appointment! Before today I'd never head of him and from what I've seen of his past record, he doesn't feel me with confidence.

BUT I am willing to give him a chance based on how we perform until the end of this disasterous season.

If we survive by winning the majority of our remaining games and end up finishing in mid table then I will back the guy.

If we barely survive by the skin of our teeth I will have serious doubts.

If we get relegated then I shall go and get absolutely p1ssed out of my skull, take flack from glory hunters who support teams because they win trophies, and then, when I've recovered from that, will call for his head and hurl abuse at bonsor for once again letting us down with another crap appointment after sacking our best manager, Mr Colin Lee!

Let's pray that our new gaffer succeeds and makes me relatively happy for the rest of the season rather than kicking the cats from here to kingdom come every Saturday!!!!

ws3
Glitterati

Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:44 pm

Manchester Saddler wrote:Well I'm disappointed with the appointment! Before today I'd never head of him and from what I've seen of his past record, he doesn't feel me with confidence.

BUT I am willing to give him a chance based on how we perform until the end of this disasterous season.

If we survive by winning the majority of our remaining games and end up finishing in mid table then I will back the guy.

If we barely survive by the skin of our teeth I will have serious doubts.

If we get relegated then I shall go and get absolutely p1ssed out of my skull, take flack from glory hunters who support teams because they win trophies, and then, when I've recovered from that, will call for his head and hurl abuse at bonsor for once again letting us down with another crap appointment after sacking our best manager, Mr Colin Lee!

Let's pray that our new gaffer succeeds and makes me relatively happy for the rest of the season rather than kicking the cats from here to kingdom come every Saturday!!!!

Ask him nice and I am sure he will gladly feel you with confidence.

WS1
UTS Regular

Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:51 pm

Not to suprised, did not want Platt, Lewington.
Remember Broadhurst playing for us in the 79/80 season, the season we won promotion from division four, played against Portsmouth at home (1-1), Peterborough away (3-1) and Bradford away (1-0).

We tried to sign the next season then he started to get in Blues first team and was made captain but his footballing playing career came to an end with a knee injury.

We also had another ex blues player that season any one remember Ricky sbragia.

Kevan Broadhurst will get my backing home and away.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:52 pm

bournemouthsaddler wrote:The two mosr exciting appointments lately have been Fat Jan and Merse. The dullest Sir Ray. Good luck Kev. UTS

Exactly...

Though I'm not exactly rushing down to Bescot to secure my season ticket for the rest of my life at the news of this appointment, he has my backing.
He's a football man who will let (hopefully) his team do the talking.

It'll be a relief to have a 'normal' manager again after the last clown.

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:04 pm

We should get behind him-if only because ,if he doesn't turn things round fast,and I think anyone would struggle to do this,some of the Happy Clappers will turn on him quickly.give him time-an unexciting apppointment isn't necessarily a bad one.What sort of manger is he?what style of play does he prefer?-any type would be an improvement on the present as we looked totally characterless on saturday.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:08 pm

Having heard him on the radio earlier, he'll get my backing. He seems the opposite to Merson in the way he will get the players working hard and seems to have confidence in his ability as a motivator, which is a plus.
There's abslutely no point criticising him or Bonser's appointment of him now. That won't help anyone.
Personally, I'd prefer a relatively unknown manager than one like Platt. Nobody had really heard of Graydon & I can remember Watford fans questioning the appointment of Boothroyd, who is arguably the best managerial appointment in the last 18 months.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:12 pm

Massive anti-climax, but KB (KB and JB - pleasing symmetry there) has my full backing till I decide otherwise, and I can't say fairer than that. If he keeps us up, that'll be a milestone, especially with the balance of the squad, but if we can keep reasonably injury-free and players keep unsuspended, then I think he's got a fighting chance for mid-table mediocrity.

This division is rubbish, and it's wide open. If his contract is initially only to the end of the season he must be confident, or he's wasting his time as well as ours.

UTS

BEACON SADDLER

Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:27 pm

lets give him a chance,its not a world shattering appointment but its what i wanted,a well travelled football man who will have one hell of a job to sort this mess out.no loans to use,no money to spend .some awful players and some who couldnt care less because they are not ours anyway!
instill discipline,proper training,set piece play and team spirit and we may have a fighting chance of avoiding doomsday
if he does keep us up then he deserves the chance of an extended contract.
i really do wish him well

Up and Down In and Out

Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:29 pm

Seems as though Bonser has caught a gambling addiction off his chum merse, because he certainly is gambling again with a rookie. Hope the gamble pays off, as I wont be going to watch League 2 football next season.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:29 pm

Bitter Tree Hugger wrote:
Geordiesaddler wrote:I'm certain he would have played against Forest during your championship season, and probably the season you won the European cup for the first time so I can't see how you havn't heard of him.

Whoh chill out - thers probably hundreds of players played against Forest I haven't heard of.

Jeez, did I hit anerve or what :mrgreen:

No.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:41 pm

Just checked his record in a Saddlers shirt (such as it was), two wins and a draw!

His debut was in what was at the time the biggest game of the season versus Portsmouth at Fellows Park. We were both top three as I recall and both got promoted at the end of the season.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:42 pm

Agree with Geordie, i am more than happy to give the guy a chance, lets face it he is a big improvement on Merson.

Providing it isn't a cheap effort to get Merson back into the club, then ill go with it, but if it is just that, i am well and truly finished

Surrey Saddler
Glitterati

Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:56 pm

Let's back him. We have no choice but to.

Tez66

Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:58 pm

Not really sure what to make of the appointment and, as such, can only decide to support the guy. Comparisons have been made to the appointment of Sir Ray, quite rightly as I remember thinking "who?". This is where my doubts come in as I think even Sir Ray would have struggled with this squad to achieve much. There will be key stages over the next few weeks which will help form my opinion. Firstly, how we line up on Saturday, followed by the reaction to defeat. (not being negative just realistic to think change will not happen over night) It would be interesting to find out what style of play he adopted at Northampton, as I'd settle for some attractive football for a start as I've hated the last 3-4 seasons and have never left the ground so early on so many occasions. Don't believe you have to play ugly to win, not with the poor teams in this division.

matt1982

Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:05 pm

What an absolute f up Bonser has made of this situation.

Kevan Broadhurst??!!! Kevan Broadhurst??!! The stats speak for themselves. He couldn't manage a piss up in a brewery, which by the way Merse could do adequately!!!

I now hope Merse does come back as a player and bloody keeps us up. How ironic that would be! All is forgiven Paul!

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:12 pm

matt1982 wrote:What an absolute f up Bonser has made of this situation.

Kevan Broadhurst??!!! Kevan Broadhurst??!! The stats speak for themselves. He couldn't manage a piss up in a brewery, which by the way Merse could do adequately!!!

I now hope Merse does come back as a player and bloody keeps us up. How ironic that would be! All is forgiven Paul!

Errrmmm............... how about NO!! :roll:

geoff skillet
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:20 pm

we MAY get right out and into mid-table BUT

"If we barely survive by the skin of our teeth....."

i think KB will deserve a lot of credit and not deserve people saying

"I will have serious doubts."

Let's all get behind the bloke.

matt1982

Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:22 pm

SaddlerSteve wrote:

Errrmmm............... how about NO!! :roll:

I tell you what i wouldn't be against Merse returning as a player now. He never wronged us in his playing abilities. He would walk into most teams in this division, and i can't see Broadhurst doing anything with these players!

CSFC

Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:24 pm

matt1982 wrote:Kevan Broadhurst??!!! Kevan Broadhurst??!! The stats speak for themselves. He couldn't manage a piss up in a brewery

Then you can't read, matt. Then again, he hasn't won the champions league, so you're right, he's no good for us. All he's done is twice save no hopers from relegation. No good for us at all. Broadhurst out.

Muppet :roll:

Saddler Jim
UTS Regular

Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:53 pm

I just don't understand some of the posters on this thread,have they never heard of the saying give the man a chance,or you don't hang a man b4 he is found guilty,after all we can't be any worse off,if we do go down we would have done anyway under Merson,I will support the man because in 13 matches he will have to put right the mess Merson has left as well as tryng to keep us up.he needs our support not critices,so get behind the man,and if you are going the the matches to critisis and moan its best if you stay away,and to those who wanted a high profile manager ie Platt, Rush,ect,remember the last high profile manager we had' he's playng for Tamworth on Sat by the looks of it and they are welcome to him.I really do wonder sometimes. :o :o

LankeySaddler

Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:34 pm

Is this "UP" THE SADDLERS OR WHAT??? It just seems that everyone on here is on this mans back before he's even started! OK i havent got a clue who he is or what hes done before - AND I DONT REALLY CARE ALL THAT MUCH!!! The time is now - our team needs our support and this is the man thats been put in charge - his aim is to keep our team up in league 1 and I hope he does it

WE ARE THE SADDLERS!!! WE LOVE OUR CLUB!!!! WE NEED TO START SHOWING THAT THEN!!!!
All the Best Broadhurst I hope you do it mate!!!

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:08 pm

:shock: No way back for PM....please.....pretty please. Could you imagine the new manager tries to install discipline and Merse stands by in training undermining the new boss. Please can we move on from the disaster that has been PM.

PreviousNext
Return to You Said That Then